Odds to Land Cousins

JoJoTownsell1

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

wasn't that in denver?

also i think there will be another team like ariz that will make a real run at cousins, and that team could land him.  

The team I'm concerned about is Jax.  They don't have much cap space, but they have a good team, and Cousins is from Orlando.  His dad is pastor of a church there.

Some people don't want to raise their children in the NYC area.  Don't know if he feels that way or not, but I'm sure his wife will have a good bit of input

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Gastineau Lives said:

Yes, I know. It's stupid in cases when one team beats the balls off the other.

I agree, but I am guessing since the team with the weakest schedule lost the same amount of games as a team with a stronger schedule .. it makes some sense. I don’t like it though. Head 2 Head results should matter too.

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

The team I'm concerned about is Jax.  They don't have much cap space, but they have a good team, and Cousins is from Orlando.  His dad is pastor of a church there.

Some people don't want to raise their children in the NYC area.  Don't know if he feels that way or not, but I'm sure his wife will have a good bit of input

That's the local buzz around here.

I just dont see it happening...the Jag are a year or 2 away from some serious inhouse decisions.  Campbell, Jackson, Dareus - carry a HUGE cap #.  

And soon, they're going to have to be looking at long term deals for Ramsey, Fowler, Jack, Robinson, Fournette, etc.

Just seems too much for them to take on.  And Bortles just got them 10 minutes from the Super Bowl where Cousins has never won a playoff game.  It would see really silly to me to put up with what the warts of Bortles, to finally see him turn the corner, play great in Dec/Jan and then just let him bounce to take on an enormous contract for Cousins.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

That's the local buzz around here.

I just dont see it happening...the Jag are a year or 2 away from some serious inhouse decisions.  Campbell, Jackson, Dareus - carry a HUGE cap #.  

And soon, they're going to have to be looking at long term deals for Ramsey, Fowler, Jack, Robinson, Fournette, etc.

Just seems too much for them to take on.  And Bortles just got them 10 minutes from the Super Bowl where Cousins has never won a playoff game.  It would see really silly to me to put up with what the warts of Bortles, to finally see him turn the corner, play great in Dec/Jan and then just let him bounce to take on an enormous contract for Cousins.

Rememer when the Jets beat the Jags down in a game where the final score wasn't indicative of the ass whipping that was doled out?

I really don't see how Denver is a better option. Their defense is getting older & they're looking to get rid of their top corner Talib. 

On offense they have better WRs, but Thomas has gotten hurt A LOT lately and Sanders is decent, not great. Neither have put up huge games, granted their should be some leeway considering who the QBs were.  

Two of our biggest assets are the huge amount of cap space we have & the young core that has played very well & can keep improving. We can easily shore up the OL, add Trey Burton & draft Barkley. Along with adding Cousins, I think that instantly puts our offense in the Top 10-12. 

13 hours ago, CTM said:

I think the doomsday scenario here is Browns signing him, us mortgaging the future to trade up to 1 and then picking a safety 

(or the QB we take busts like many of them do)

No risk no reward. Gotta have some cajones.  Trade up. Get Darnold or Rosen. If they not available I abandon the 6 pick and trade back for extra picks and take Lauletta with my first 2nd rounder. One condition though: he wears that Spider helmet.

B24BAA58-84C0-4DE0-A226-84029653318A.jpeg

51 minutes ago, Lith said:

Certainly plausible that Buffalo could jump into the Cousins sweepstakes.  Bottom line is none of us have any clue as to what these teams are planning. Cousins, other FA, draft, trade.  Nor do we know how Cousins views his options.  No matter what happens, its going to be an interesting off-season.

I am still waiting for the time to come again when the season is more interesting than the off season for Jet fans.

With Buffalo, I agree we don't know, other than they're almost assuredly going to add a QB this year (duh).

I think we do have a clue that the Jets and Broncos are both interested in a veteran QB, both from leaks about the Jets' interest level in Cousins, and the Broncos apparently making an offer for Alex Smith.

As far as what Cousins views his options, he's already let on that it's not going to be purely about the cash and that the entirety of the situation will factor into it (as one would expect). As I said above, if one team totally blows out the others money-wise, that's another story. But if everyone's in the same range in guarantees and total, then you'd have to get inside his head which is the most attractive situation among his suitors.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I dont know what this means.  But when I look at that the standings from the 2017 season, the Jets and Broncos were both 5-11 and the Broncos pushed the Jets sh*t in so hard, the Jets quit. 

Most of our wins were much more convincing. Like an OT win against Jax (thanks to a pair of 70-yd TD runs), a 3-point victory over the Clowns (where our D made Kevin Hogan look like a damn good QB), and a win vs Chiefs (which, enjoyable as it was to watch, required an impossible comedy of errors on KC's part). 

We all wish it weren't so, but this isn't a very attractive destination other than money.

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Not even Orlando. His father's from there. He grew up in some small town in northeast Illinois that no one's heard of, is married, religious, and turns 30 before the season.

Agree 100% NYC doesn't hold the same attraction as it does for others. There are beautiful suburbs outside the city, but he's more likely to see the land just to the east as Gomorrah.

4 selling points the Jets can pitch free agent QB Kirk Cousins

usatsi_10477459-e1517463864776.jpg?w=100

Franchise quarterbacks don’t hit the open market often, as teams usually make it a priority to lock up such players long before free agency is even a thought.

For Kirk Cousins, that is not the case, as the Washington Redskins elected to let him test free agency after acquiring Alex Smith from the Kansas City Chiefs on Tuesday night. Now, Cousins will prepare himself to hear pitches from the numerous teams interested in acquiring his services, including the New York Jets.

What do the Jets have to offer Cousins? Let’s take a look at what New York should pitch in their meeting with the soon to be former Redskins signal caller.

Money

usatsi_10483976-e1517463813552.jpg?w=100

Geoff Burke-USA TODAY Sports

Money talks and the New York Jets have a boatload of it available to throw at Cousins this offseason.

Cousins could a $120 million deal. The Jets, expected to have $100 million in cap space, could give it to him. Cousins is in his prime and this is his first and only chance to cash out on a free agent deal. Why not do it with a bang and go to the highest bidder?

Jeremy Bates

usatsi_10472489-e1517463513611.jpg?w=100

Jake Roth-USA TODAY Sports

While New York has the money pitch working in its favor, there is also another solid bargaining chip to throw at Cousins — familiarity with the Jets’ offensive coordinator

It came to light on Tuesday afternoon that Cousins has known Jeremy Bates since 2012 and is a fan of his coaching.

“I actually met Jeremy when he was Jay Cutler’s quarterback coach in Chicago,” Cousins said while appearing on WFAN’s Afternoon Drive. “That was in the draft, coming out in 2012. And I really liked him then. I just think he’s a good football mind. Everybody I’ve talked to who knows him loves him. I think it was a smart hire by the Jets, and wish him well in what he does.”

While some fans were not a fan of the Bates hire, he could wind up being a reason Cousins comes to New York.

Solid weapons at WR

usatsi_10378429-e1517463722830.jpg?w=100

Bill Streicher-USA TODAY Sports

The Jets might not have a true dominant No. 1 wide receiver, but they do have three very good wideouts in Robby Anderson, Jermaine Kearse and Quincy Enunwa.

While troubled, Anderson is immensely talented. Kearse is solid out of the slot and Enunwa is set to return in 2018 after missing all of 2017 with a neck injury.

New York’s trio of wide receivers is better than anything Cousins threw to in Washington a year ago and while they aren’t the Denver duo of Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders, they’re certainly good enough to make Cousins seriously consider the Jets.

Solid weapons at WR

usatsi_10378429-e1517463722830.jpg?w=100

Bill Streicher-USA TODAY Sports

The Jets might not have a true dominant No. 1 wide receiver, but they do have three very good wideouts in Robby Anderson, Jermaine Kearse and Quincy Enunwa.

While troubled, Anderson is immensely talented. Kearse is solid out of the slot and Enunwa is set to return in 2018 after missing all of 2017 with a neck injury.

New York’s trio of wide receivers is better than anything Cousins threw to in Washington a year ago and while they aren’t the Denver duo of Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders, they’re certainly good enough to make Cousins seriously consider the Jets.

23 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Most of our wins were much more convincing. Like an OT win against Jax (thanks to a pair of 70-yd TD runs), a 3-point victory over the Clowns (where our D made Kevin Hogan look like a damn good QB), and a win vs Chiefs (which, enjoyable as it was to watch, required an impossible comedy of errors on KC's part). 

We all wish it weren't so, but this isn't a very attractive destination other than money.

Surface level look into the situations:

Go play for the Broncos, 3 years removed from a SB victory, 5 years removed from another SB berth, 3 SB victories in the last 20 years with all ties to John Elway.  Throwing to Thomas/Sanders handing of to CJ Anderson with Von Miller leading a superb D in lovely Denver.

or

Go play for the Jets, who havent been to a Super Bowl in 50 years, nobody in the building has ever been to Super Bowl, throwing to Robbie Anderson maybe? and Jermaine Kearse, handing off to ?, with Jamal Adams leading an absolutely atrocious D in sh*t hole New Jersey?

hmmmmm

30 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not even Orlando. His father's from there. He grew up in some small town in northeast Illinois that no one's heard of, is married, religious, and turns 30 before the season.

Agree 100% NYC doesn't hold the same attraction as it does for others. There are beautiful suburbs away from the city, but he's more likely to see the land just to the east as Gomorrah.

Of course money is a major factor in signing Cousins, but no matter who he signs with he is going to get paid big.  With a guy like Cousins other things are going to count outside of football.   Cousins is deeply religious, not just a guy who talks about going to church after he gets arrested.  He has a youth outreach ministry, and does tours in the off-season speaking to kids about God.

An interesting side play to all this, that may be instrumental in getting Cousins signed is that he and Josh McCown share the same agent.  McCown is also a devoted Christian.   Don't think that isn't going to be a major factor if the QB chart is going to look like 1) Cousins 2) McCown

9 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Of course money is a major factor in signing Cousins, but no matter who he signs with he is going to get paid big.  With a guy like Cousins other things are going to count outside of football.   Cousins is deeply religious, not just a guy who talks about going to church after he gets arrested.  He has a youth outreach ministry, and does tours in the off-season speaking to kids about God.

An interesting side play to all this, that may be instrumental in getting Cousins signed is that he and Josh McCown share the same agent.  McCown is also a devoted Christian.   Don't think that isn't going to be a major factor if the QB chart is going to look like 1) Cousins 2) McCown

McCown was offered more than double to play here than anyone else offered. It was also his last, best chance at starting, on a 1 year deal at that.

Apples. Oranges.

Proportional to the disparity McCown was offered, if we offer Cousins $300m with $150m guaranteed over the first 3 years, yes I have little doubt he'll come here.

35 minutes ago, JiF said:

Go play for the Broncos, 3 years removed from a SB victory, 5 years removed from another SB berth, 3 SB victories in the last 20 years with all ties to John Elway.  Throwing to Thomas/Sanders handing of to CJ Anderson with Von Miller leading a superb D in lovely Denver.

or

Go play for the Jets, who havent been to a Super Bowl in 50 years, nobody in the building has ever been to Super Bowl, throwing to Robbie Anderson maybe? and Jermaine Kearse, handing off to ?, with Jamal Adams leading an absolutely atrocious D in sh*t hole New Jersey?

hmmmmm

Is Denver lovely? Florida is just to freakin hot. 

Just now, BigO said:

Is Denver lovely? Florida has s just to freakin hot. 

I surf and fish.  Live 3 blocks from the ocean.  I love the heat.  So Denver is not for me but if I had to chose a city outside of a coastal town, Denver would probably be #1 choice.  It's pretty awesome there. 

21 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

I really don't see how Denver is a better option. Their defense is getting older & they're looking to get rid of their top corner Talib. 

On offense they have better WRs, but Thomas has gotten hurt A LOT lately and Sanders is decent, not great. Neither have put up huge games, granted their should be some leeway considering who the QBs were.  

Two of our biggest assets are the huge amount of cap space we have & the young core that has played very well & can keep improving. We can easily shore up the OL, add Trey Burton & draft Barkley. Along with adding Cousins, I think that instantly puts our offense in the Top 10-12. 

Denver still has Bradley Roby and Chris Harris, both are considered top CBs.  If they were to cut Talib, they would only have 1 defensive player over 30 (Domata Peko).  They still ranked 10th in DEF DVOA, a drop from 2016 but still a good defense.

As for Thomas, he may have been getting injured a lot lately but hasn't missed a game (need to confirm this) in the past 6 years.  Sanders is the one that had missed games this past season.  They do lack depth after these 2 wide receivers, but when healthy they were consistent 1,000 yard receivers.  C.J. Anderson just had a 1,000 yard season and ended up 9th.  He ended up 8th in yards per carry for RBs with over 200 carries.

The talent is there for Denver, it is their coaching that is the question.  Denver is a team that has the talent to try to make a run at a Super Bowl, but that window is quickly closing.  The Jets on the other hand are a team that has some nice young pieces in place and the window of opportunity may begin to open for them.  Depends on the way Cousin's sees the situation (at least between the Broncos and the Jets).  Try to win now and hope Denver can get some young talent in the future?  Or join the Jets and hopefully the potential that the team has shown is fulfilled and win in the future.

33 minutes ago, flgreen said:

And Pot is legal in Denver. Something tells me Cousins would disapprove. 

I think some of you are overplaying how "bad" the situation with the Jets is. Agreed that the setup and history of the Broncos is more appealing but the idea that he couldn't win here in short order is silly. The Jets weren't that far from being a middle of the pack team in 2017, and they were young with lots of cap space and draft picks.

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

I think some of you are overplaying how "bad" the situation with the Jets is. Agreed that the setup and history of the Broncos is more appealing but the idea that he couldn't win here in short order is silly. The Jets weren't that far from being a middle of the pack team in 2017, and they were young with lots of cap space and draft picks.

I put that up to normal battered Jets fans syndrome. They expect the doomsday scenario every time., not without a little reason, but it just goes too far.

52 minutes ago, JiF said:

or

hmmmmm

Spoken like a true coward.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

What's cowardly about stating facts?

The Jets job is like the Cubs. If you are involved in the Jets winning or even getting to a Super Bowl you are a God. they will erect statues of you

If you take the Broncos to the Super Bowl, you are still behind Elway.

So if one likes the challenge, like Reggie White did when he went to GB, then you go to the Jets.

Archived