Odds to Land Cousins

JoJoTownsell1

7 minutes ago, Hitman Harris said:

we already no this my brotha... Question is what do they do after Cousins goes to Den. I heard someone mention we could trade for Semien...

I say give Keenum $24 million and draft one of Frat Brother, 21 Turnovers, or Giant Ego Broken Shoulder to save the franchise. 

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Fitz still hasn’t even decided whether he’s retiring or not as far as I know and their OL really isn’t very good at all.

David Johnson and a slightly better defense? Sure, I’ll give you that.

But it’s not as if the Jets are going to be fielding the same team as last year but with Cousins at the helm. Even after making Cousins the highest paid QB in the league, the Jets would still have a sh*tload of money left over and 3 picks in the Top 50 alone.

With Mac as GM, means nothing.

8 hours ago, BrickTamland said:

While i agree with you, thats still not nearly what he can be offered by jets ...and the jets could front-load the K, which you would think would be more attractive to Kirk.

Also, the SB might be closer to 100, so approx 16M per year. 

On top of that, the Jets could pay him salaries of

2018: 20M

2019: 20M

Etc.

which denver cant touch, without dismantling their team.

Meanwhile, the Jets can show Kirk and his agent how he could stand to gain his 100SB day 1, PLUS another 60M+ in salaries over the first three years of his deal.

Also, they have the benefit of being able to boast about the rest of the money theyd have left over, and who they plan on picking up with it. Finally, they could describe the value of their upcoming picks and how thru FA and Draft together, the team will be consistently in contention over the next 5 years.

If Mac wants him it should get done. We’ll see.

Being that you're saying the same wrong thing to me in two different threads, I'll correct you in two different threads. 

The Jets will not be offering Cousins a $100M signing bonus. That will not happen. The Jets will offer him $100M guaranteed, and that guarantee will come in the form of guaranteed salaries over the first three years of the deal, with maybe a portion of his salary guaranteed in the fourth or a modest signing bonus. The Jets have the cap room to create a team friendly deal (read: little or no dead money in later years), and that's exactly what they will do. They will put together a contract that they can get out of after year three with a minimal cap hit if he's not performing up to the deal. 

Denver, without the luxury of cap space that the Jets have, will be forced to give him a huge signing bonus to get a deal with Cousins done. As a result, Cousins would have much more money in the first couple years in a deal from Denver than he would from the Jets. 

And, what? You don't think the Broncos can put together a pitch describing what they're going to do to get the team back on track? I'm thinking they probably have some plans, and a first round pick one better than the Jets'. 

I understood the celebration when Washington traded for Smith. Prior to that trade, the largest impediment to the Jets landing Cousins was any potential tag Washinton placed on him. Now that that option is essentially off the table, the largest obstacle to landing Cousins is Maccagnan. My impression of Mac is that he's a folder. That the price gets too high for him, and he's out. He's no Tannenbaum. I also think Elway is a much better salesman than Mac. Elway will tell Cousins, QB to QB, that he's won two Super Bowls as a player in this town, and built another champion as the team's GM. That he wants to win more and that Cousins is his guy to get there. Sorry, but that's just more compelling than anything Mac can tell him about the Jets. 

8 hours ago, BrickTamland said:

While i agree with you, thats still not nearly what he can be offered by jets ...and the jets could front-load the K, which you would think would be more attractive to Kirk.

Also, the SB might be closer to 100, so approx 16M per year. 

On top of that, the Jets could pay him salaries of

2018: 20M

2019: 20M

Etc.

which denver cant touch, without dismantling their team.

Meanwhile, the Jets can show Kirk and his agent how he could stand to gain his 100SB day 1, PLUS another 60M+ in salaries over the first three years of his deal.

Also, they have the benefit of being able to boast about the rest of the money theyd have left over, and who they plan on picking up with it. Finally, they could describe the value of their upcoming picks and how thru FA and Draft together, the team will be consistently in contention over the next 5 years.

If Mac wants him it should get done. We’ll see.

The only thing I keep disagreeing you on is the front loaded contract being a draw. He's on record about guaranteed money. That cat can be skinned multiple ways.

18 hours ago, slats said:

Buffalo and Minnesota offer playoff teams behind average at best QBs. Either team getting serious about Cousins would have a better pitch than the Jets. With the transition tag essentially off the table, cap space is no longer as big an issue. Denver could offer an $80M signing bonus prorated over 6 years ($13.3M/year cap hit) and low salaries in the first two years. Definitely affordable for them, and their lack of room could lead to more money upfront for Cousins. 

Everyone involved is going to try to get the deal done for about the same guaranteed money and same <$30M/year average salary. It's the team that can sell him that their situation is the best for him that's gonna win. This is where I doubt Maccagnan and the Jets. 

According to Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News, the Bills are not expected to pursue impending free agent Kirk Cousins.

Despite his success in Washington, the Redskins are letting Cousins walk in favor of Alex Smith, who was acquired from Kansas City in a blockbuster trade earlier this week. Cousins would be an obvious fit for the Bills, who are expected to move on from Tyrod Taylor. However, Cousins is in high demand and may fall out of Buffalo's price range. Coming off their first playoff appearance in 18 years, the Bills have just over $29 million in available cap space.
Related: Bills

Source: Buffalo News

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

According to Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News, the Bills are not expected to pursue impending free agent Kirk Cousins.

Despite his success in Washington, the Redskins are letting Cousins walk in favor of Alex Smith, who was acquired from Kansas City in a blockbuster trade earlier this week. Cousins would be an obvious fit for the Bills, who are expected to move on from Tyrod Taylor. However, Cousins is in high demand and may fall out of Buffalo's price range. Coming off their first playoff appearance in 18 years, the Bills have just over $29 million in available cap space.

So the Bills wont spend the money but the Broncos, with less cap space, will? Hmmmmm

18 hours ago, faba said:

The Denver Broncos may have gotten a close look at some of quarterbacks available in the NFL draft, but linebacker Von Miller wants the team to pony up for veteran Kirk Cousins.

"I've talked to him before. He knows exactly how I feel ... and what he would mean to our team, and what he would mean to a lot of teams," Miller told "The Dan Patrick Show" on Wednesday.

"We need Kirk. I would like to have Kirk. We have great quarterbacks now. Kirk could take us over the edge."

Cousins threw for 4,093 yards and 27 touchdowns this season for the Washington Redskins, who acquired Alex Smith in a trade with the Kansas City Chiefs on Tuesday.

Denver currently has quarterbacks Paxton Lynch, Trevor Siemian and Chad Kelly on the roster.

The Broncos' staff coached the North team at the Senior Bowl, allowing them to work with Heisman Trophy winner Baker Mayfield of Oklahoma and Wyoming's Josh Allen. Team president and general manager John Elway said Denver would "dig into the free agency side of it" after the Super Bowl.

The Broncos have the No. 5 overall pick in the draft.

"That's the National Football League; there's a lot of teams that need Kirk," Miller told "The Dan Patrick Show."

He's totally going to the Broncos. 

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I don't know what Buffalo is going to do, but if they dump Taylor, that's another $9.4M to spend right there. Then they are projected to have over $100M in cap space in 2019, so they have plenty of room to maneuver if they want to. 

And really, nothing in blue there says that Buffalo is out, only that they'd have to get a little creative if they want to be in. I don't understand how, "may fall out of Buffalo's price range," equates to, "not expected to pursue."

I suspect most QB hungry teams expected Cousins to get at least the transition tag in Washington. That tag would've been problematic for teams like Buffalo and Denver. Take that tag off the table, however, and now Cousins becomes much more possible. 

42 minutes ago, slats said:

I don't know what Buffalo is going to do, but if they dump Taylor, that's another $9.4M to spend right there. Then they are projected to have over $100M in cap space in 2019, so they have plenty of room to maneuver if they want to. 

And really, nothing in blue there says that Buffalo is out, only that they'd have to get a little creative if they want to be in. I don't understand how, "may fall out of Buffalo's price range," equates to, "not expected to pursue."

I suspect most QB hungry teams expected Cousins to get at least the transition tag in Washington. That tag would've been problematic for teams like Buffalo and Denver. Take that tag off the table, however, and now Cousins becomes much more possible. 

My guess at this point is that Buffalo will be very aggressive to move up in the draft.  They have 2 1s, 2 2s and 2 3s.  If Denver signs Cousins, I could see them trying to package their 1s and plus a 2 &/or a 3 to try to jump us and get to the Top 5.

I guess it is always possible that they will get into the Cousins sweepstakes, but the moves they have made in teh past year seem to suggest that they will pursue a QB in the draft.

53 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

As much as I would like for it to happen..I think he isn’t coming here. I think he is going to Denver. That’s my gut feeling. 

He’ll look at a roster with CJ Anderson, DT, Sanders and a solid Defense along with Elway and Von Miller’s persuasion..it’ll be a done deal. 

Unfortunately, I agree with you.  If I had to bet, I would bet he goes to Denver.  Which leaves us in a position where we need to either trade up to get our guy, or cross our fingers and hope the right guy slides to 6.  And I do not believe crossing fingers and hoping is a sound strategy to build a football team.

14 minutes ago, Lith said:

My guess at this point is that Buffalo will be very aggressive to move up in the draft.  They have 2 1s, 2 2s and 2 3s.  If Denver signs Cousins, I could see them trying to package their 1s and plus a 2 &/or a 3 to try to jump us and get to the Top 5.

I guess it is always possible that they will get into the Cousins sweepstakes, but the moves they have made in teh past year seem to suggest that they will pursue a QB in the draft.

If Denver does land Cousins, such a trade would make a lot of sense for both teams. 

4 minutes ago, slats said:

If Denver does land Cousins, such a trade would make a lot of sense for both teams. 

16 minutes ago, Lith said:

Unfortunately, I agree with you.  If I had to bet, I would bet he goes to Denver.  Which leaves us in a position where we need to either trade up to get our guy, or cross our fingers and hope the right guy slides to 6.  And I do not believe crossing fingers and hoping is a sound strategy to build a football team.

We’ll have to move up to 3 the very second Cousins signs with someone else. That’s the only way. 

24 minutes ago, Lith said:

Perhaps they'll trade up for one, yes. Then again going 9-7 this past season and losing a playoff game, when their defense held the opposition to 10 points, may have them believing they're contenders right now with Cousins plus a pair of 1st rounders that now don't have to be used on a QB. On top of that, there's no bust potential where a current contender window could be squandered breaking in a 1st round QB that maybe never pans out. 

Cousins makes sense for anyone who wants an instant, above average starting QB, who doesn't feel they're likely to get a better (plus far cheaper) one in the draft. That includes Buffalo as much as any team.

2 hours ago, slats said:

The Jets will not be offering Cousins a $100M signing bonus. That will not happen

2 hours ago, slats said:

Denver, without the luxury of cap space that the Jets have, will be forced to give him a huge signing bonus to get a deal with Cousins done. As a result, Cousins would have much more money in the first couple years in a deal from Denver than he would from the Jets. 

Sounds legit, and it fits with the Jets inevitably blowing this. Honestly do not think Denver will even have to resort to this with Elway. 

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Perhaps they'll trade up for one, yes. Then again going 9-7 this past season and losing a playoff game, when their defense held the opposition to 10 points, may have them believing they're contenders right now with Cousins plus a pair of 1st rounders that now don't have to be used on a QB. On top of that, there's no bust potential where a current contender window could be squandered breaking in a 1st round QB that maybe never pans out. 

Cousins makes sense for anyone who wants an instant, above average starting QB, who doesn't feel they're likely to get a better (plus far cheaper) one in the draft. That includes Buffalo as much as any team.

Another plus, the $130mm Cousins will get from Buffalo will enable him to buy 75% of the city.

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

How high can the Bills really move up when their first pick is in the 20s? 

The infamous draft pick trade chart has the #5 pick valued at 1700, and the 21st and 22nd picks valued at 800 and 780. It would be pricier for a QB, but certainly doable for the Bills. 

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

How high can they move up with those 2 first rounders in the 20’s and some of their 2nd and 3rd rounders? Because that’s what they would have to do.

if the bills are intent on trading up, they won't be moving to 5, they'll move to at least 3 if they can.  they would not trust the jets or broncos or both, depending on who doesn't get cousins.  

Just now, slats said:

The infamous draft pick trade chart has the #5 pick valued at 1700, and the 21st and 22nd picks valued at 800 and 780. It would be pricier for a QB, but certainly doable for the Bills. 

Does anyone use that chart besides the internet? I’ve heard of it but it always sounded like Football Math. 

17 hours ago, flgreen said:

What Kirk Cousins likes about Jets ... and what may concern him

Jan 30, 2018
  • cimini_rich.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer

It sounds like quarterback Kirk Cousins, who could be a free-agent target for the New York Jets, is a fan of presumptive offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates.

Making the rounds on radio row at the Super Bowl, Cousins endorsed the Jets' expected hiring of Bates, their quarterbacks coach last season. Cousins admitted he has met Bates only once, but he apparently has been gathering intel.

"I just think he's a good football mind," the Washington Redskins quarterback told WFAN's "Afternoon Drive" on Tuesday. "He's about ball and that's what matters to him. Everybody I talked to who knows him loves him. I think it was a smart hire by the Jets and I wish him well in what he does."

Kirk Cousins wants to be in a winning situation, and that could hurt the Jets' chances. Patrick McDermott/Getty Images

Bates is a disciple of former Redskins coach Mike Shanahan, who drafted Cousins in 2012. So, yes, there's a distant connection. His only meeting with Bates occurred in 2012, when he took a pre-draft visit to the Chicago Bears. At the time, Bates was the quarterbacks coach.

Asked if he'll consider the Jets, Cousins pointed to March 6, the deadline for teams to use the franchise and transition tags.

"Let's get to March 6 and see what the Redskins choose to do," he said. "At that point, the ball swings back to my court. Instead of being passive, I can finally be active in the process and go be able to answer those questions."

Cousins has been tagged two years in a row, and it could happen a third year. It's perhaps the most compelling question of the NFL offseason.

He made one thing clear during the interview: He wants a winning situation. That, of course, could hurt the Jets' chances. They haven't made the playoffs since 2010.

"Winning is everything, especially at this stage of my career," Cousins said. "I'm going into Year 7. Because I've been franchise-tagged twice, it's not about the money so much. It's about winning. I want to win. This isn't the NBA. You can't just get one player and now you're in the AFC Championship Game or NFC Championship Game. There are other pieces that come into play."

Cousins said he wants to win over "the long haul," not just one season. He said the coach, the general manager and the offensive system will be "huge" factors in his decision.

"Who am I throwing to? Who's protecting? What's the depth chart look like?" Cousins said. "It's so multifaceted. It's going to be a really interesting process to gather those facts. I may go out, do my research and realize the best answer all along was right in front of my face, and that's Washington.

"But I haven't had the opportunity to gather that research. Until then, I'm going to keep an open mind and see what's out there."

Cousins said he wouldn't be intimidated by the size of the New York market.

"From what I've heard, it's a tough market, but, man, if I'm making it about the media, I've got bigger problems," he said. "I've got to be able to ignore the noise -- right? -- no matter where I play. Washington, D.C., isn't exactly in the middle of nowhere, so I'd like to think I have some experience dealing with a media market."

Sounds like there’s only one place he’d like to go but it’s already occupied- NE Patriots.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if the bills are intent on trading up, they won't be moving to 5, they'll move to at least 3 if they can.  they would not trust the jets or broncos or both, depending on who doesn't get cousins.  

It takes two to tango, and I don't see Indy all that excited to trade out of Chubb or Barkley for a couple picks in the 20s. For Denver it would make sense to move back if they landed Cousins because they'd be a little cap-strapped and the extra picks would help them fill out the roster nicely. 

3 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Does anyone use that chart besides the internet? I’ve heard of it but it always sounded like Football Math. 

Hence why I referred to it as infamous. If you have a better tool, by all means, please share. 

Still consider both us and Denver equals as far as the desirability factor.  Too many people are discounting the Bates factor, the night life factor, the money factor, and the legacy factor.

If Cousins copies the Manning route to Denver he'll just be a guy that copied Manning and went to Denver.

If he actually makes it to a SB with the Jets he'll forever be immortalized. 

Not everyone is a pu$$y like Kevin Durant.  Some people believe enough in themselves to want to make history.

1 minute ago, slats said:

It takes two to tango, and I don't see Indy all that excited to trade out of Chubb or Barkley for a couple picks in the 20s. For Denver it would make sense to move back if they landed Cousins because they'd be a little cap-strapped and the extra picks would help them fill out the roster nicely. 

the flip side is, the qbs the bills may be willing to trade up for could be gone by 5.  if the bills aren't willing to sacrifice all that draft capital for, say, mayfield or jackson, they may wind up trading up to get another qb or staying put.  and there's also no guarantee the bills would want to trade up for allen either.

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

Still consider both us and Denver equals as far as the desirability factor.  Too many people are discounting the Bates factor, the night life factor, the money factor, and the legacy factor.

If Cousins copies the Manning route to Denver he'll just be a guy that copied Manning and went to Denver.

Not everyone is a pu$$y like Kevin Durant.  Some people believe enough in themselves to want to make history.

if you're cousins and you really want a legit shot at a super bowl are you really, really going to the jets if the broncos are offering money in the same ballpark?  he's talking a big game right now, but we'll see how much winning matters vs. pure guaranteed money when the offers start getting reported.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

the flip side is, the qbs the bills may be willing to trade up for could be gone by 5.  if the bills aren't willing to sacrifice all that draft capital for, say, mayfield or jackson, they may wind up trading up to get another qb or staying put.  and there's also no guarantee the bills would want to trade up for allen either.

Obviously, there are infinite potentialities. I just don't see Indy having any interest in trading down that far. As it stands, picks three and four aren't likely QB destinations, so five is a nice slot to trade into. But Denver or the Jets could easily try to slide up to three or four, thus changing the equation. 

4 minutes ago, Pac said:

I don’t think i’d compare Kevin Durant to this situation. Durant joined a 73-9 super team who he and his former team OKC had a 3-1 lead on until they choked. Cousins would be joining a fellow 5-11 team.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I don’t think i’d compare Kevin Durant to this situation. Durant joined a 73-9 super team who he and his former team OKC had a 3-1 lead on until they choked. Cousins would be joining a fellow 5-11 team.

I agree but people on this board and in the media are acting like the Broncos are close to a SB..  it's ridiculous..  they won 5 games, have a terrible HC, and have no dynamic players on offense but they're supposedly a juggernaut. 

Archived