Rotoworld: Jets draft needs and full mock

19andOhWait

Is it just me or is this an awful mock draft for us? Not so much big Josh but 3-7. Gross.

Needs: 

Jets Team Need No. 1: Quarterback

Silva’s Analysis

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan showed his hand by sending three second-round picks to Indianapolis to climb just three spots near the top of the draft. With Sam Darnold penciled into the Browns’ No. 1 overall pick, Gang Green is expected to fall back on Josh Rosen or Josh Allen at No. 3. Reporters covering the team don’t believe the Jets’ grade is high enough on Baker Mayfield.

Jets Team Need No. 2: Outside linebacker

Silva’s Analysis

It seems like ages (John Abraham?) since Gang Green fielded a dangerous outside pass rusher. Last year’s Jets finished 28th in sacks (28) and got roasted deep, surrendering the NFL’s second-most 20-plus-yard completions (61). They were led in sacks by ILB Demario Davis (5), who is gone to New Orleans.

Jets Team Need No. 3: Tight End

Silva’s Analysis

Pass-catching help in general is needed with Robby Anderson likely facing further discipline for conduct-policy violations, and Jermaine Kearse and Quincy Enunwa in contract years. Ideally, 2017 draft picks Chad Hansen and ArDarius Stewart will make sophomore leaps. Tight end remains a glaring hole with Austin Seferian-Jenkins gone to Jacksonville and no one of note left behind him.

Capture.JPG

feel like that 72nd pick has to be an impact position, EDGE, CB, WR, RB. we signed Spencer Long for C/guard spot. like Ragnow as a prospect though. we've shown for years we can't draft TE. and there are much better RB prospects than Edmonds. a 'meh' draft for me. 

22 minutes ago, 19andOhWait said:

feel like that 72nd pick has to be an impact position, EDGE, CB, WR, RB. we signed Spencer Long for C/guard spot. like Ragnow as a prospect though. we've shown for years we can't draft TE. and there are much better RB prospects than Edmonds. a 'meh' draft for me. 

well i hear what you're saying, but with those second rounders gone, the team is obviously more limited in what it can expect to do this year in the draft. its hard to nitpick right now since these are 3-7 rounders and we don't know who will be available that late in the draft.

that said, in this particular mock draft, i think they are getting a consensus quality interior olineman in the 3rd

additionally they get a prospect in edmonds who has been elevating his stock due to crazy combine workouts. in the 6th round thats a good buy.

i dont know anything about the edge prospect but it is said that he has talent but is injury prone. you cant expect much more in the 5th round.

dalton schultz is an interesting guy who apparently is a strong blocker. supposedly he has the talent for the passing game but was somewhat overlooked as an option. my inclination is to be high on stanford tight ends. hes 6'6" with ok measureables so in the 4th i think its an ok pick. 

in the 7th i wouldnt mind taking a chance on a high risk player like antonio callaway, if he was still available. 

Norris is trying to blend GM tendencies with needs and scheme fits. He did an okay job. Pretty sharp dude overall.

I like the idea of drafting a C/G given Long's injury history and Carpenter's questionable scheme fit, but I'm not sure Ragnow is an awesome fit. Drafting a one cut guy late is pretty standard for ZBS teams and one with hands is solid.

I've never gotten drafting an edge guy late unless they're a freak athlete. 

This is really not bad. 

Rd. 1- Allen/Rosen

So I think the Jets actually prefer Rosen and would take him if he was there at 3. I think the lack of leadership or Rosen 'rubbing people the wrong way' is overblown and the Jets know this. I don't think ownership[ cares much about his politics either. I think Macc is evaluating the prospect as a football player and Rosen checks everything off the list and then some. Having said that, I think the Jets also really like Allen. This is why they are happy in the position the are in. There is no way they don't come away with at least one of them. Now, if a team moves up to #2 via trade with the Giants and takes Rosen, or the Giants decide to go QB and take Rosen, then the pick will be Allen. But I don't see it. I think the Giants take Barkley or a team trades up and takes Allen #2 overall (Bills). Why? Because of Rosen's injury history. I think Macc is willing to bite the bullet and cross his fingers hoping Rosen does not suffer more concussions, while other GMs may not be willing to do that. This is just a hunch. I think Macc likes Rosen THAT MUCH.  

Rd. 3- I like the Ragnow pick and it makes a ton of sense. Long is by no means a long term answer (no pun intended) and Ragnow has to fully recover from his own injury. He will not be expected to be a plug and play player anyway. And like was mentioned, he has the size and experience to play OG. The Jets are getting a blue chip interior lineman prospect in the 3rd round who would normally not be there this late if not for him being a C coming off injury. Good value despite being a non-premium position. However, I would love for them to take a look at a developmental OT here as well. Maybe Orlando Brown plummets b/c of his combine and weight or a guy like Jemarco Jones who has some LT blindside potential at the NFL level. 

Rd. 4- Schultz would be a decent pick and it makes sense that the Jets go after a TE with some blocking ability. But my issue is that there should be better TE prospects who can block at this junction. I would rather have Hurst, Smythe or Fumagalli, to name a few. And all 3 could very well still be there early in the 4th.    

Stanford TE Dalton Schultz ran the 40 yard dash in 4.75 seconds on Saturday at the NFL Scouting Combine.
It ranks around the middle of the pack of the other tight ends, which isn't a surprise since Schultz (6'5/244) ranks near the middle of the pack among the position to most analysts. Coming off a disappointing season, Schultz currently is viewed as a third-round pick by NFL.com draft analyst Lance Zierlein. We'll see if he stays in that range after a pedestrian showing in Indianapolis.

:unsure::unsure:

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline passes along that Fordham RB Chase Edmonds "looked terrific in position drills" during Thursday's pro day.
There were 18 teams on hand to watch Edmonds strut his stuff. Per Pauline, the 5-foot-9, 205-pounder was particular adept in pass-catching drills. The analyst relays that "Edmonds ran more than a dozen routes coming out of the backfield and lined up as a receiver." The Jets, Giants and Titans all met with him on Thursday. The Seahawks also had a notable presence, sending multiple evaluators to the scene. Edmonds posted a composite athletic score in the 59th percentile of NFL athletes at the combine last week, good for the fifth-best mark by a running back in this class on Three Sigma Athlete. Only Saquon Barkley, Nick Chubb, Bo Scarbrough and Justin Jackson posted better composite athletic scores. We fully expect Edmonds to be drafted on Day 3 next month. 

B)B)

16 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Would Hurst be around in the 3rd? I'd take him, I think we need to draft another TE with that 3rd round pick. I'm not relying on the ones we have and adding another weapon for your brand new QB never hurts. 

I’ve seen Hurst mocked in the first round.  No way he is there in the 3rd.  I was thinking Penny in the third, but even that seems unlikely now. 

On 3/27/2018 at 1:49 PM, 19andOhWait said:

. Last year’s Jets finished 28th in sacks (28) and got roasted deep, surrendering the NFL’s second-most 20-plus-yard completions (61).

It's hard not to laugh at this after selecting back to back safeties in the draft last year...

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

It's hard not to laugh at this after selecting back to back safeties in the draft last year...

Giving up deep balls is a direct result of not having any kind of pass rush.  What’s more laughable is that after all of these first round defensive draft picks, and all the money they have handed out, this team has absolutely no edge pass rush.  I don’t care who you have in the secondary, with zero pass rush it’s going to get ugly.  

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Giving up deep balls is a direct result of not having any kind of pass rush.  What’s more laughable is that after all of these first round defensive draft picks, and all the money they have handed out, this team has absolutely no edge pass rush.  I don’t care who you have in the secondary, with zero pass rush it’s going to get ugly.  

Agreed but this team has really hasnt attempted to find a pass rusher till the 3rd round since Big Mac came into the fold.  Mauldin and Jenkins are really the only 2 guys he's even attempted to fill that role with and Jenkins is the furthest thing from a pass rusher.  

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Agreed but this team has really hasnt attempted to find a pass rusher till the 3rd round since Big Mac came into the fold.  Mauldin and Jenkins are really the only 2 guys he's even attempted to fill that role with and Jenkins is the furthest thing from a pass rusher.  

Exactly.  That’s my point.  All this draft capital spent on defense and none of it spent on the most important position on defense.  Same with the QB position.  When you go bargain hunting in the later rounds for the two most important positions in football, you end up with the 2017 Jets.  

Archived