Bleacher Report names Jets QB position as one of the best training camp battles

Patriot Killa

18 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Todd Bowles has won JACK sh*t here as a HC the most important game of his career was us beating Buffalo to get into the playoffs a few years ago and he blew it. 

He has never proven me wrong and will only prove me and others wrong when he wins a Super Bowl. 

Actually Fitztragic blew it with 3 ints.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You're even more clueless about me than the Jets and their QBs.  Stop already, you're embarrassing yourself.  You don't even know who was on the team. 

Youve turned your own ridiculous comment about playing vets into a page long circle jerk about wins and loses.  Stop drinking

FYI 

On December 12, 2017, Stave was signed to the New York Jets' practice squad.[14] He signed a reserve/future contract with the Jets on January 1, 2018.[15] He was waived on April 14, 2018.[16]

You have no clue about anything NY Jets just here to argue thats all.... whats your excuse? 

No drinking unless you consider water toxic. 

Goodbye 

You've chosen to ignore content by Jet Nut

This should be the most interesting and entertaining preseason of our lives. 

The Jets were right to resign McCown. He's the perfect tutor for our golden calf. He has no ego. He seems to have his eyes set on his coaching future, which he knows is coming sooner than later. He speaks glowingly of Darnold. I expect him to give it his all this summer, and I expect him to be holding a clipboard when it's over. If that happens, he'll do so gladly. No drama. No locker room divide.

The Jets were right to sign Bridgewater. First of all, he seems like a good guy, and I like being able to root for a good guy in Jets green and white. I want Teddy to recover, and be an even better QB for it. I want to cheer for that storyline during the long hot days of July and August. I also want him to be a highly coveted asset. QB's do not grow on trees, and next years class is supposed to be a dog show. If Teddy plays well, it could be huge. 

The Jets were lucky to draft Darnold. We've been seemingly lucky the last few years, regarding highly coveted draft picks falling into our laps...but a franchise QB? That only happens to other teams. Heck, the Jets were the team that would pass on the HOFer, so he could fall into the lap of another. We have no way of knowing if Darnold will be a star, but I do believe that we drafted our best hope of finding one. So far, the dude checks every box.

I honestly cannot remember ever having so much to look forward to.

6 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

FYI 

On December 12, 2017, Stave was signed to the New York Jets' practice squad.[14] He signed a reserve/future contract with the Jets on January 1, 2018.[15] He was waived on April 14, 2018.[16]

You have no clue about anything NY Jets just here to argue thats all.... whats your excuse? 

No drinking unless you consider water toxic. 

Goodbye 

You've chosen to ignore content by Jet Nut

He wasn't on the active roster and only someone like you would think he should get a shot.  Over anyone.  So, no you have no clue.  This entire diatribe that you keep hanging onto proves it.  

Back to the original question, why did you need to see more Petty?  Other than Petty weres the proof that Bowles won't play young players. You change the subject, start arguing and then whine about arguing.  Lol.  You are special.  I know you won't or can't but end it

On 7/9/2018 at 9:39 PM, joewilly12 said:

Petty,Hackenberg,Stave I didn't care evaluate younger talent instead of a 39 year old loser at that point in time. 

Please STOP already you rode Fitzpatrick's ball bag and now its Josh McCown's these old washed up guys are available for a reason. 

How can you defend us playing Clevelands sh*t? 

Because Petty and Hackenberg were both awful qbs who made mediocre qbs like McCown and a bad qb like Fitz look good in comparison 

The coaching staff gets several months to evaluate young qbs like Hack and Petty.  Hack literally could not hit the broad side of a barn and Jon Gruden cut him in 2 weeks after trading for him

16 hours ago, SnackExchange said:

This should be the most interesting and entertaining preseason of our lives. 

The Jets were right to resign McCown. He's the perfect tutor for our golden calf. He has no ego. he seems to have his eyes set on his coaching future, which he knows is chiming sooner than later. He speaks glowingly of Darnold. I expect him to give it his all this summer, and I expect him to be holding a clipboard when it's over. If that happens, he'll do so gladly. No dram. No locker room divide.

The Jets were right to sign Bridgewater. First of all, he seems like a good guy, and I like being able to root for a good guy in Jets green and white. I want  Teddy to recover, and be an even better QB for it. I want to cheer for that storyline during the long hot days of July and August. I also want him to be a highly coveted asset. QB's do not grow on trees, and next years class is supposed to be a dog show. If Teddy plays well, it could be huge. 

The Jets were lucky to draft Darnold. We've been seemingly lucky the last few years, regarding highly coveted draft picks falling into our laps...but a franchise QB? That only happens to other teams. Heck, the Jets were the team that would pass on the HOFer, so he could fall into the lap of another. We have no way of knowing if Darnold will be a star, but I do believe that we drafted our best hope of finding one. So far, the dude checks every box.

I honestly cannot remember ever having so much to look forward to.

Very nice post and agreed.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Because Petty and Hackenberg were both awful qbs who made mediocre qbs like McCown and a bad qb like Fitz look good in comparison 

The coaching staff gets several months to evaluate young qbs like Hack and Petty.  Hack literally could not hit the broad side of a barn and Jon Gruden cut him in 2 weeks after trading for him

I was so wrong about Hackenberg. I thought Bowles mishandled that situation. When the season was lost, I thought Hack should've gotten some playing time. I mean, look at the guy. He was right out of central casting. Big. Strong. He looked like he could star in Hoosiers, but for, you know, football. What could it hurt to let him play and see what he can do in game action? I kept thinking of his very first drive in his very first preseason game. That perfect fade pass to the corner of the end zone. I paused the game, and told my girlfriend to come and see our future. I was so wrong.

When the Jets cut him, I was sure he would be snatched up and shine for the next 15 years for some other team. When that team turned out to be the Raiders, I was even more convinced. Then, only moments after swallowing him up, they spit him out. I was wrong.

I've been wrong before, and usually regarding QB's...but I've never been more wrong than I was about Hack.

Should Jets start Sam Darnold in Week 1? Pros and cons

Posted July 11, 2018 at 05:00 AM | Updated July 11, 2018 at 07:10 AM

16shares

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The Jets, during training camp, will give rookie quarterback Sam Darnold every opportunity to win their Week 1 starting job. So when will Darnold start? Should the Jets start him in Week 1? Let's take a look at the pros and cons. 

Jets Rookie Camp Football
AP Photo

The Jets picked Darnold third overall in the 2018 NFL Draft. 

PRO: THIS IS WHY THEY TRADED UP FOR HIM

The Jets might as well get a look at this guy. They traded up from sixth to third in the 2018 NFL Draft to get him (and gave away three second-round picks in the process), so why not just go ahead and throw him out there in Week 1? That's one line of thinking, as it pertains to the sizable investment the Jets made in Darnold perhaps being their future franchise quarterback. 

CON: POSSIBLE DAMAGE TO CONFIDENCE

It's not apples to apples here, but the Jets have seen the issues that can come with starting a rookie quarterback too early. In 2013, they had to throw second-round pick Geno Smith out there in Week 1, probably before he was ready, because of Mark Sanchez's preseason shoulder injury. Smith wound up not panning out. But independent of any Smith comparisons, you ideally want to give a rookie quarterback a chance to feel somewhat confident when he goes out there and starts for the first time. 

PRO: HE HAS THE PHYSICAL POTENTIAL

There is no doubting Darnold's quick release and arm strength. Both of those were evident during spring practices, and surely will continue to be evident during training camp, as he competes with Teddy Bridgewater and Josh McCown for the starting job. There is no doubt Darnold has enough physical tools to make up for some mental hiccups during games, if he starts. 

Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

CON: HE MIGHT GET HURT

This is a big con. If Darnold doesn't recognize a blitz, or makes a decision too slowly, he could get popped and suffer a serious injury that might derail his development, at least in the short term. Why run that risk, if Darnold isn't ready to start in Week 1? That's one way of looking at this question about Darnold starting from the get-go. He is no good to himself or the Jets if he is hurt for a lot of 2018 ... or perhaps all of the season. 

PRO: HIS DEMEANOR IS STEADY ENOUGH

Darnold is a confident, collected, steady guy. He doesn't seem like a fragile type who would get rattled by the inevitable, early hiccups that could come with starting from the beginning of a season. So that's a big-time potential positive for him. 

CON: MAYBE HE ISN'T READY TO THRIVE RIGHT AWAY

You never really know until you put a rookie quarterback out there. And it's hard for any rookie quarterback to be a star immediately. But maybe Darnold just needs some time to develop. Perhaps half a season. That would be OK. Nothing wrong with that at all. No need to rush him out there, right? 

PRO: BEST WAY TO DEVELOP IS BY PLAYING

On the other hand, experience is a valuable teacher. Darnold could learn a whole lot by being out there and working through his mistakes — seeing them on film, going through the process with quarterbacks coach/offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates, etc. 

Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

CON: HE MIGHT NOT BE THEIR BEST OPTION TO WIN

Jets coach Todd Bowles is the one who decides which players start. And Bowles has long maintained that starters will be determined by which guys give the Jets the best chance to win. Would Darnold, in Week 1 of his rookie season, really be that type of guy? And why should Bowles make an exception to his rule for Darnold, if he isn't the Jets' best quarterback option? 

PRO: HE IS THE JETS' FUTURE, SO WHY WAIT?

McCown isn't the Jets' future at quarterback, and Bridgewater probably isn't. The Jets invested so much in Darnold because they believe he very well could be their long-term quarterback solution. So why wait? Get him out there and let him play from the get-go. 

CON: HE CAN LEARN BY WATCHING, TOO

Yes, the Eagles started Carson Wentz from Week 1 in 2016. But the guy picked one spot ahead of Wentz that year — No. 1 overall selection Jared Goff — didn't start for the Rams until the season's 10th game. Goff was able to sit back and watch for the start of his rookie season. And he turned out OK, as did Wentz. There is no right or wrong way to handle the "sit or start?" question for a rookie quarterback, regarding Week 1. 

SO WHAT SHOULD JETS DO?

They should do what Bowles has said they'll do: Run a legitimate quarterback competition in training camp this summer, give Darnold every opportunity to start, don't hold him back at all, and let the best man win the Week 1 job. If that guy is Darnold, so be it. This all seems very logical. There is no harm in Darnold not starting in Week 1. He'll get his chance eventually. But he might just win the Week 1 job ... if he proves he is the best option. 

45 minutes ago, flgreen said:
CON: HE MIGHT GET HURT

This is a big con. If Darnold doesn't recognize a blitz, or makes a decision too slowly, he could get popped and suffer a serious injury that might derail his development, at least in the short term. Why run that risk, if Darnold isn't ready to start in Week 1? That's one way of looking at this question about Darnold starting from the get-go. He is no good to himself or the Jets if he is hurt for a lot of 2018 ... or perhaps all of the season. 

This is the most legitimate con to keep him out of the opening day lineup, and maybe the only one. It's not just Sam's ability to recognize the blitz, but the Jets OL with a new center and scheme getting on the same page. When Mangold was here, he called the Jets protections, not the QB. I don't know who does that under Bates/Dennison. If it's Long, that's one less thing the rookie has to worry about. 

In Darnold's favor here is that he appears to have excellent instincts and mobility. 

45 minutes ago, flgreen said:
PRO: HIS DEMEANOR IS STEADY ENOUGH

Darnold is a confident, collected, steady guy. He doesn't seem like a fragile type who would get rattled by the inevitable, early hiccups that could come with starting from the beginning of a season. So that's a big-time potential positive for him. 

And this is the pro that cancels out just about all the other cons.

I'm not worried about Sam losing confidence if he makes mistakes or everything isn't immediately coming together for him right off the bat. The most constant praise coming from the coaches was how Sam was a fast learner and didn't make the same mistakes twice. I'm not concerned about him being the best chance to win because his development is more important than wins this year, and playing is the best way for him to get better.

Yes, he can learn by watching, but there's a point where he's not learning much at all from the sidelines and would benefit greatly by being in the lineup. Yes, Goff didn't start until week 10, and then his head coach got fired. Sam sitting for the first three or four weeks, with those three games in eleven days, while the OL gels a little bit would still be my plan. Trade Teddy, start McCown those first few games to steady the whole new offense, then get the wunderkind in there. 

Archived