July Madness: All Time Draft Discussion Thread

Lith

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Ripped Campbell's shirt off and he's still going in pads!! Terminator...

In fairness to Robertson, Campbell also ran over Jack Lambert and Jack Tatum. And man that stiff arm. Like Jim Brown -- defenders said when Brown stiff armed you, he actually punched you with a jab that would make you see stars --- like being hit by Sugar Ray Robinson. If this draft has nothing else, it's been a real treat to go back and see some of the videos of so many great players. Easy to forget just how good these guys were.

I've mentioned this before, but I remember seeing an old interview of Merlin Olsen. When asked about the nastiest hit he ever put on a player, he said he once hit Jim Brown so hard that he (Olsen) went to the ground seeing stars. When his head cleared a second or two later, he rolled over, expecting to see Jim Brown laying next to him. But Brown wasn't there. He was downfield, still running.

Jim Brown was an absolute beast.

8 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Big fan of the Sterling Sharpe pick. Was wondering if he'd last

Was actually extremely surprised he lasted till the 288th pick. He only played less than 6 season due to the career ending neck injury, but in those 5+ seasons, he was unstoppable.

6628E297-0387-4359-8050-BEFED8916AE6.jpeg

No way I thought I’d get a top end WR like that after essentially ignoring the position till now. Extremely pleased with that pick myself.

The ocho cinco one I made kind of in a rush because my deadline was coming up, but at his peak, Chad Johnson was the best route runner I’ve ever seen. That plus his explosive quickness off the line and on his cuts made him a star that he otherwise wouldn’t have been given his small frame.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I cant believe Mackey and Wilson were there...fully expecting to be told they were picked. 

Agree, especially on Mackey.  Top 5 All Time tight end -- kept wondering when/who would take him.  12th TE off the board -- great pick. And a draftee of the Jets back in 63, but he chose Johnny Unitas and the Colts instead of Dick Wood, Galen Hall and the Jets.

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Mackey was surprising. I figured he’d be gone early 

My TE list had two left at the top.  Now it has one.  Great pick.

Loved Ted Washington as well.  Doesn't get the same rep as some of the others, but at this point of the draft, he's a guy that can make a real impact (pun fully intended).

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Juregeson throwing to Moss, TO, Mackey and handing off to Emmitt Smith.

LOOK OUT!!!

Do we get to pick slot receivers too???

hehe

You get 11 Offensive players.  You could go 3 WR, 1 RB, 1 TE for example (giving you a slot WR).  Or you could go HB/FB or 2 TE instead of the third WR.  Or something else entirely.

39 minutes ago, nycdan said:

My TE list had two left at the top.  Now it has one.  Great pick.

Loved Ted Washington as well.  Doesn't get the same rep as some of the others, but at this point of the draft, he's a guy that can make a real impact (pun fully intended).

Ted Washington is  gone?  ****!  He was my target once Curly Culp was picked. 

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Ted Washington is  gone?  ****!  He was my target once Curly Culp was picked. 

Junc just took him.  Interesting because he also has Randy White and as far as I recall, Ted was a pure 3-4 NT.

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

Nice pick with Berry

Part of what took me so long last night was trying to decide between Darren Woodson and Eric Berry.

I eventually settled on the 3x super bowl champ, 4x first team all pro who many considered was the backbone of that team and the guy that made the defense go. Between Polamalu and Woodson, I got two huge hitters who could also ballhawk with some of the best of them.

9 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Part of what took me so long last night was trying to decide between Darren Woodson and Eric Berry.

I eventually settled on the 3x super bowl champ, 4x first team all pro who many considered was the backbone of that team and the guy that made the defense go. Between Polamalu and Woodson, I got two huge hitters who could also ballhawk with some of the best of them.

Darren Woodson had already been taken by Greenwich anyways. 

11 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Darren Woodson had already been taken by Greenwich anyways. 

Thank you both for the laugh.

Archived