Mangini Accepts Offer To Be Head Coach (Merged)

runnyc262

I want to be on the record on this one:

This hiring is a mistake. This Coach is unqualified, and will prove himself to not have been ready (read Bellichek in Cleveland). We will not see the playoffs under his tenure more than one time.

As I have said elsewhere, this hiring is the Coaching equivalent of trading two #1's to draft a Dewayne Robertson. Mangini is the flavor-of-the-second, the coaching "workout wonder", another sign of the Jets inferiority complex and obsession with their New England Rival and will, ultimately, prove himself to be far far far from the anser for this franchise.

I will support him, because he is our coach, but I am deeply against this hiring.

But you were in favor of Herm who had half the experience?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was not, in fact, in favor of the Herm Edwards hiring (that was before I joined JI).

I was indeed in favor of doing what it took to keep Edwards, yes.

Fish,

There is no guarentee that Mangini will be a good coach and there is no secret formula telling us if he will or will not. But I like his pedegree a lot.

I want to be on the record on this one:

This hiring is a mistake. This Coach is unqualified, and will prove himself to not have been ready (read Bellichek in Cleveland). We will not see the playoffs under his tenure more than one time.

As I have said elsewhere, this hiring is the Coaching equivalent of trading two #1's to draft a Dewayne Robertson. Mangini is the flavor-of-the-second, the coaching "workout wonder", another sign of the Jets inferiority complex and obsession with their New England Rival and will, ultimately, prove himself to be far far far from the anser for this franchise.

I will support him, because he is our coach, but I am deeply against this hiring.

Ah, my good buddy Fish thinks this is a bad hire.

I guess you would rather some NFL retread (Tice or Haslett) to come in and put a band-aid approach on the Jets and try and win immediately in the next two years. :shock:

Guess what, that would set the Jets back 5 friggn' years.

Mangini will come in, provide a different culture, and gut the friggn' over-bloated, underachieving roster.

Fish, you have been very vocal on this, but you never stated who you want as a HC.

Mind sharing your choices?

Fish,

There is no guarentee that Mangini will be a good coach and there is no secret formula telling us if he will or will not. But I like his pedegree a lot.

True enough my friend. As I say, I fully support Coach Mangini as of the second he is officially announced as "The Man".

But I would be lying, and dishonest as a self-descibed relaist, if I didn;t state my true feelings before that announcement.

I hope Coach Mangini proves me wrong. That is all I can say.

You have to like the move.

Lets hope he handles the media well enough to get by, since that will be the biggest new challenge for him besides being in charge.

There are some advantages to youth. Plenty of energy. No burnout.

Hopefully he and Tannenbaum can squeeze Bradway out and last a long time.

However, Mangini is now the guy and I'm on board. I can disagree with a choice and still support it. I'm a Jets fan first and foremost, and I want them to succeed. I hope this works out.

I'm right there with you aec4.

Honestly though, I found him the most exciting of the choices available.

Risky? Oh yes. However the potential for reward is intriguing.

[-o<[-o<[-o<

Ah, my good buddy Fish thinks this is a bad hire.

I guess you would rather some NFL retread (Tice or Haslett) to come in and put a band-aid approach on the Jets and try and win immediately in the next two years. :shock:

Guess what, that would set the Jets back 5 friggn' years.

Mangini will come in, provide a different culture, and gut the friggn' over-bloated, underachieving roster.

Fish, you have been very vocal on this, but you never stated who you want as a HC.

Mind sharing your choices?

I have made my desire very clear during this so-called Coach search:

I would do WHATEVER IT TOOK to lure one Mr. Charlie "Offensive Genius" Weiss to coach my team.

My view on Coach Mangini isn;t Pats bais my friend, it's relaism. One year as a D-Co, and not much else, does not warrant this level of trust and responsabillity.

If he had D-Co'd another two to three seasons, and put up a solid resume of top 10 "D"'s, then yes, I take him without this consternation.

But that isn't the case. As I've said, you don;t become a genius by knowing a genius, working with a genius, or standing next to a genius in the team photo.

True enough my friend. As I say, I fully support Coach Mangini as of the second he is officially announced as "The Man".

But I would be lying, and dishonest as a self-descibed relaist, if I didn;t state my true feelings before that announcement.

I hope Coach Mangini proves me wrong. That is all I can say.

As Jet fans, all we have is hope. Face it, since Weeb, they have all tanked it if you count SB's.

This is the first time in my life that I can say I am old enough to be the HC's father...damn, I'm old... :(

I get what you are stating Warfish.

Time will tell whether this was a good hire or not.

I love the hiring though. This is exactly the type of coach we need to help build this team into a champion.

I respect your opinion Warfish. I think this is a great hire by the Jets and it's a forward thinking move.

If Mangini gets more money than Edwards. That shows you that The Jets wanted Edwards out, it had nothing to do with money.

Lets hope he handles the media well enough to get by, since that will be the biggest new challenge for him besides being in charge.

What the hell is this criteria that a HC has to "handle the media".

You guys had the best media buffoon in the entire NFL and how did that turn out with wins vs losses.?

You know Mangini will take the BB approach with the media in NY. Let's see what happens.

I would do WHATEVER IT TOOK to lure one Mr. Charlie "Offensive Genius" Weiss to coach my team.

My view on Coach Mangini isn;t Pats bais my friend, it's relaism. One year as a D-Co, and not much else, does not warrant this level of trust and responsabillity.

If he had D-Co'd another two to three seasons, and put up a solid resume of top 10 "D"'s, then yes, I take him without this consternation.

But that isn't the case. As I've said, you don;t become a genius by knowing a genius, working with a genius, or standing next to a genius in the team photo.

For Gods sake he asked for a sensible choic. Charlie Weis isnt leavin Notre Dame for years, no matter what,, his package is 4 to 5 million a year and a BCS red carpet at his feet.

Give a sensible selection of the AVAILABLE candidates,,

damn, u r funny,,, I want Vince Lomabardi, NO MATTER WHAT IT TAKES,, no wait, I want Belicheck, no matter what it takes,, or maybe Shanhahan,,hahaha

who are u, that idiot Dinobot in disguise,,

haha, come on a sensible counter selection,,

What the hell is this criteria that a HC has to "handle the media".

You guys had the best media buffoon in the entire NFL and how did that turn out with wins vs losses.?

You know Mangini will take the BB approach with the media in NY. Let's see what happens.

=D>=D>=D>=D>

One thing is for sure - Cannizaro will not be getting anymore "inside info".

Fish,

With all due respect, please throw out another name that didn't sign a 10-year contract extension (with a huge raise) in the greatest college football institution in the United States (Bob, I really didn't mean that, but I'm just trying to make a point).

Come on buddy, other then CW, who is better for the Jets than Mangini?

I get what you are stating Warfish.

Time will tell whether this was a good hire or not.

I love the hiring though. This is exactly the type of coach we need to help build this team into a champion.

I respect your opinion Warfish. I think this is a great hire by the Jets and it's a forward thinking move.

If Mangini gets more money than Edwards. That shows you that The Jets wanted Edwards out, it had nothing to do with money.

#1 - Weiss was not available

#2 - Mangini > any retread

#3 - Mangini will not require a 'Clock coach' (herm should have been canned for incompetence as soon as he asked for a clock coach. joke.)

And by then he's not available. Or at best, we'd be competing with 5 other teams for his services & maybe the Jets job doesn't seem as attractive. No one else interviewed him so we got him.

The sleeping fox catches no chickens.

Fish,

With all due respect, please throw out another name that didn't sign a 10-year contract extension (with a huge raise) in the greatest college football institution in the United States (Bob, I really didn't mean that, but I'm just trying to make a point).

Come on buddy, other then CW, who is better for the Jets than Mangini?

Maybe it's because I live in the City of Dan Snyder, but I truly believe, when it comes to coaches (especially first year COLLEGE Head Coaches) that EVERY MAN has his price.

I belive Weiss is most definitely a "Sensible, and Realistic" counter-choise.....but ONLY in ownership was willing to do what it took.

--Shottenheimer said he'd never work for Snyder....he did.

--Spurrior said he'd never coach int he Pro's......he did.

--Gibbs said he would never come back........he did.

All of these were, before they happened, so-called "un-realistic" choices. Yet the owner made them all happen.

Every man has his price.

But that is the past. HEre's to Coach Mangini. Congratulations Coach, I wish you the best, even if I do not support your hiring.

I like this hire and I give him an absolute pass in the first year. Cleaning up the Hermie mess ain't gonna be easy.

Absolutely NO passes. That is "Edwards thinking".

2005 was the "Year of No Excuses" if I recall.

We'l have most of that talent back, with upgrades at QB, RB and O-line (as I see it pannign out).

2006 is, starting today, the YEAR OF NO EXCUSES II: Return of the Mangini.

I like this hire and I give him an absolute pass in the first year. Cleaning up the Hermie mess ain't gonna be easy.

Agreed Bob. I'd say his plate is full, but that would be an understatement.

I'm backing the guy 100% though, for at least the first two years.

Make me proud Mangini.

We'l have most of that talent back, with upgrades at QB, RB and O-line (as I see it pannign out).

Oh man Fish, this team is a mess! You realize that, don't you?

Maybe it's because I live in the City of Dan Snyder, but I truly believe, when it comes to coaches (especially first year COLLEGE Head Coaches) that EVERY MAN has his price.

I belive Weiss is most definitely a "Sensible, and Realistic" counter-choise.....but ONLY in ownership was willing to do what it took.

All of these were, before they happened, so-called "un-realistic" choices. Yet the owner made them all happen.

Every man has his price.

But that is the past. HEre's to Coach Mangini. Congratulations Coach, I wish you the best, even if I do not support your hiring.

Oh man, Fish, where are you going with this one?

CW was a pipedream buddy, and if the Jets wanted him so bad they should have signed him before ND did.

BTW, you owe me YOUR choice of HC other then CW. :wink:

Trust me, Mangini will be very good for the Jets.

Every man has his price.

fish - in september i started a thread about driving a truck full of cash to weiss' and letting him name his price to run this team; however, some guys don't have a price. weiss has a special needs daughter and wants the stability, $$, and quality of life he can have in south bend.

as far as gibbs goes, i don't know if this is true or not but i heard on radio today that gibbs would have come back to run the panthers but didn't want kerry collins. he also came back to get his son out of a race car - it also was not about $$$.

there was no chance at weiss this year. woody could have had him last year, but that was after Hackett and brien cost the jets (not herm of course).

I don't know where all those upgrades are coming from, fisherman. I think you're wrong, but I hope you're right.

Plus, I think John Abraham and Ty Law are gone, weakening an already-shaky defense.

Mangini has more hurdles to overcome than Hermie ever dreamed of.

My patience will not last forever, though.

Oh man Fish, this team is a mess! You realize that, don't you?

Not only that - there will also be A LOT of changes and A LOT of coaching required to run his complex defense. Patience my friends - it will be worth it in the end.

Every man has his price.

so u had mangini #2 behind Weiss?

If not who was your # 2 choice afte rWeis,,EVERY GM/OWNER has several candidates, even Snyder,,

so who was your #2 choice or was it Mangini ,

You got that right.

$28-$30 mil over the cap, a bunch of under-achieveing vets, and a bunch of young guys with talent but have no clue how to play, and win, in the NFL.

Mangini will make huge chages very quickly.

the best thing he can do is cut pennington and take the huge cap hit. not only does that 'cut ties' with the old guard but it also buys time to clean up the mess. there will be an expectation of a rebuilding process rather than the pressure to win now.

Archived