Mangini Accepts Offer To Be Head Coach (Merged)

runnyc262

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What the hell is this criteria that a HC has to "handle the media".

You guys had the best media buffoon in the entire NFL and how did that turn out with wins vs losses.?

You know Mangini will take the BB approach with the media in NY. Let's see what happens.

We have seven local sports sections plus all the other stuff. It never ends.

Hey, if the kid wins right off the bat, then he can control the media. If he's losing, he'll be under more scrutiny. This town's media is vicious if it does not like you.

Of course what really matters is coaching, but this is not some small market. It's why BB may have advised him to think differently about his first job.

This kid has how much experience at the podium? And how much at the podium after losses? After losses where he is clearly being second guessed?

It's always a problem in this city.

I know I'm being dramatic, but I brought it up for a reason.

I like the hire and wanted it. That said, this is not an ex-player who faced the press throughout his career. He's not an ex-head coach on any level except some Aussie team.

Being a front man is a new thing for him. That being a new thing for a NY coach is something to keep an eye on. How much media time do BB's coaches get?

This will be a big adjustment for him. No doubt about it.

the best thing he can do is cut pennington and take the huge cap hit. not only does that 'cut ties' with the old guard but it also buys time to clean up the mess. there will be an expectation of a rebuilding process rather than the pressure to win now.

Fo,

Not only PennyBoy, but CuMar, Abe, Fabini, Mawae and Kendall as well.

Mangini will gut the roster, mark my words. :wink:

Absolutely NO passes. That is "Edwards thinking".

2005 was the "Year of No Excuses" if I recall.

We'l have most of that talent back, with upgrades at QB, RB and O-line (as I see it pannign out).

2006 is, starting today, the YEAR OF NO EXCUSES II: Return of the Mangini.

Vince Lombardi would need a season to clean up this mess. Eric Mangini is no Lombardi. I do expect immediate results.

so u had mangini #2 behind Weiss?

If not who was your # 2 choice afte rWeis,,EVERY GM/OWNER has several candidates, even Snyder,,

so who was your #2 choice or was it Mangini ,

Personally?

I would have had Weiss #1, Tampa D-Co Monte Kiffin #2, Mike Sherman #3, KC O-Co Al Saunders #4, then I'd have to think about it to list blow that point.

Hey, if the kid wins right off the bat, then he can control the media. If he's losing, he'll be under more scrutiny. This town's media is vicious if it does not like you.

Of course what really matters is coaching, but this is not some small market. It's why BB may have advised him to think differently about his first job.

This kid has how much experience at the podium? And how much at the podium after losses? After losses where he is clearly being second guessed?

I like the hire and wanted it. That said, this is not an ex-player who faced the press throughout his career. He's not an ex-head coach on any level except some Aussie team.

Being a front man is a new thing for him. That being a new thing for a NY coach is something to keep an eye on. How much media time do BB's coaches get?

Meddle,

First off, I have lived in the metro NY area for 6 years, so I know where you are coming from.

The Jets had a media clown for a HC for the past 5 years and where did that get them?

Mangini will be the real deal. If he has to say F-You to the media, so be it.

BTW, I absolutely respect your opinion, you need to post here more often.

Meddle,

First off, I have lived in the metro NY area for 6 years, so I know where you are coming from.

The Jets had a media clown for a HC for the past 5 years and where did that get them?

Mangini will be the real deal. If he has to sat F-You to the media, so be it.

BTW, I absolutely respect your opinion, you need to post here more often.

Belly had Cleveland and part of that was the town turning on him due to political stuff. Kosar/Vinny and the team moving.

He's got a whole new job. I trust that he knows the football part. Now he must add being the man - the leader plus dealing with outside responsibilities like the press and NY is where you get the biggest helping of it.

It's a lot for a young man. Hey, he must have some weaknesses, right? I'd say that if we see problems, they will be in these areas. The things that can only be learned by doing. Another example is that he'll have to cut guys. Stuff like that.

I'm not saying that he's not ready for it, but a learning year is not out of the question. Belly's the best and he was not like a fish to water with this stuff. He had to learn and he also had a great mentor.

Wow, the is the second time that the Jets have gone after someone and got him (Ty Law, Mangini).

Congrats to Bradway for bringing in his top choice.

A few things to think about for Mangini.

- A lot of coverage of the "youngest HC ever"

- Can he handle the NY media?

- Won't playing the Pats next year be fun to watch?

- Jets go from laughing stock to up and coming in a blink of an eye.

- Hopefully makes and keeps this team competitive.

BZ

Like Esiason said - The Jets could hire Lombardi and people would bebitching that his offense isn't fit for the times.

The first guy to get the Jets a Super Bowl will be a living god for the rest of his life.

word up after every draft everybody here claims that bradway outdid himself and come regular seaSON TIME, WELL YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS

Mind sharing your choices?

I have made my desire very clear during this so-called Coach search:

I would do WHATEVER IT TOOK to lure one Mr. Charlie "Offensive Genius" Weiss to coach my team.

My view on Coach Mangini isn;t Pats bais my friend, it's relaism. One year as a D-Co, and not much else, does not warrant this level of trust and responsabillity.

If he had D-Co'd another two to three seasons, and put up a solid resume of top 10 "D"'s, then yes, I take him without this consternation.

But that isn't the case. As I've said, you don;t become a genius by knowing a genius, working with a genius, or standing next to a genius in the team photo.

Excellent choice but as usual we were a year too late a dollar short. I'm happy about Mangini and understand this will be growing pains for us (Jets). It's very important that he pick the right coords. Hopefully he can get dinger to stay (asst. hc?)

Let's give the guy a chance. He has a BIG MESS to clean up. He's taking over a team accustomed to:

1. Missing meetings

2. Showing up late for meetings

3. Sleeping during meetings

4. Luau's during training camp

5. Priveledge based not on merit, but seniority

You can't teach an old dog, new tricks. Priority NUMERO UNO is to clean house. You can't cure it, so kill it.

Take all the cap hits at once. Get younger.

This is a guy who comes from a system that knows how to win with new players, because he comes from a system where they actually coach players.

Mangini is under no mandate to win right away. Let all the Hermaphrodites complain or say "I told you so".

The object is not to go 10-6, then 9-7, and then 6-10, ask for an extension and then two years later quit on a 4-12 team. The object is to tear it down (like a skeloton frame left in the wake of a hurricane) and rebuild it, from the ground up.

Jimmy Johnson was laughed at the year his Cowboys went 1-15. They won 3 superbowls over the next 4 years. And he built that team through the draft, before free agency.

Slow down and lets do this thing right.

You got that right.

$28-$30 mil over the cap, a bunch of under-achieveing vets, and a bunch of young guys with talent but have no clue how to play, and win, in the NFL.

Mangini will make huge chages very quickly.

Yeah, basically Abrham, Martin and D-rob are probably gone. He will ask Law and Pennington to restructure in my opinion, and weed out a couple of the "behind the sceens" underachievers that some of us already know about but are afraid to mention...basically our O-line will be brand new.

who cares about media saavy and who cares about ex players,,,

we went that route and it was a DISASTER...

Belly is neither and now we finally figured it out,,accolades to woody and terry,,, finally figured it out,,,XsOs baby,,,Xs Os

....This is a great hire for the Jets, IMO. Just have a little patience, Jets fans. His "style" and vision may take a couple of years to implement.

This division is a virtual who's-who of the Belichick Coaching tree. Saban in Miami, Mangini in NY...who is Buffalo going to go after? :lol: Quite a testement to the job BB has done, for sure.

You guys had the best media buffoon in the entire NFL and how did that turn out with wins vs losses.?

You know Mangini will take the BB approach with the media in NY. Let's see what happens.

Couldn't agree more. A total nonissue. The least important aspect of NFL coaching. Do what Shanahan., Parcells and Bellichick do-the bare minimum ther NFL requires. Edwards often did nothing but curry the press's favor. And it meant nothing in the win column. If ther team makes progress, improves and wins, the press will report it. If he's reduced to spending 2 hours talking to the meida since he has to blame soembody else, we're in big trouble already.

Couldn't agree more. A total nonissue. The least important aspect of NFL coaching. Do what Shanahan., Parcells and Bellichick do-the bare minimum ther NFL requires. Edwards often did nothing but curry the press's favor. And it meant nothing in the win column. If ther team makes progress, improves and wins, the press will report it. If he's reduced to spending 2 hours talking to the meida since he has to blame soembody else, we're in big trouble already.

That makes sense. Just do what Tuna, Shanny and BB do. Yeah, you've got reason to act like guys who, in total have seven SB's. Yeah, the media will lap that up.

A total non-issue? That is denial.

Nothing matters more than the actual coaching and I said that, but to discount the NY media for a man who has NEVER dealt with any significant amount of media is folly.

Hopefully he wins out of the gate and it does not matter.

Let's give the guy a chance. He has a BIG MESS to clean up. He's taking over a team accustomed to:

1. Missing meetings

You can't teach an old dog, new tricks. Priority NUMERO UNO is to clean house. You can't cure it, so kill it.

This is a guy who comes from a system that knows how to win with new players, because he comes from a system where they actually coach players.

Mangini is under no mandate to win right away. Let all the Hermaphrodites complain or say "I told you so".

The object is not to go 10-6, then 9-7, and then 6-10, ask for an extension and then two years later quit on a 4-12 team. The object is to tear it down (like a skeloton frame left in the wake of a hurricane) and rebuild it, from the ground up.

Jimmy Johnson was laughed at the year his Cowboys went 1-15. They won 3 superbowls over the next 4 years. And he built that team through the draft, before free agency.

Absolutely. Clean up the mess; reestablish professionalism and accountability from top to bottom; and build on that. There's no point to having Abraham or Martin or Pennignton around if the Jets aren't going to be competitive in 2006. Take the cap hits and get younger. This team could make serious progress and get younger in 2006 and still not win 3 or 4 games. Which is a tribute to how messed up Edwards and his idiocy made things.

That makes sense. Just do what Tuna, Shanny and BB do. Yeah, you've got reason to act like guys who, in total have seven SB's. Yeah, the media will lap that up.

A total non-issue? That is denial.

Nothing matters more than the actual coaching and I said that, but to discount the NY media for a man who has NEVER dealt with any significant amount of media is folly.

Hopefully he wins out of the gate and it does not matter.

The media hates Bellichick. They cannot stand that Parcells and Bellichick don't allow assistants to speak to the media at all. Parcells is so friendly with Fatcessa that he owns horses wtih him and vacations with him, and has been on his show about 4 times total. Shanahan literally reads the NFL guidlines and does no more. Joe Torre went from Clueless Joe to HoFer. And the reason all these guys get good press even thoguh they are often unpleasant to deal with is WINNING. And even guys in the media will tell you as much. Do that and everything else takes care of itself.

And Mangini should get a 1 season honeymoon because the media darling shat the bed so completely. In fact, any coach spending 2 hours of a workday taling to the media as Edwards did isn't doing his job. If Mangini's big worry is spending his a good chunk of his day talking to Peter King, Cimini and Canizzaro, the Jets picked the wrong guy.

Personally?

I would have had Weiss #1, Tampa D-Co Monte Kiffin #2, Mike Sherman #3, KC O-Co Al Saunders #4, then I'd have to think about it to list blow that point.

You are trying to be funny on purpose right???

Kiffin, ya lets get a 65 year old Dungy coaching tree guy in here, that worked great with Herm, lets repeat the Dungy tree, hahaha,,

and saunders, ya lets repeat the KC connections again and take the guy KC passed over to get Herm,,,

you need to think over your posts, u just get in deeper folly as u go along,,yikes,, u might actually be the dunce dinobot after all,,

Mangini wasn't my first choice, but I do like the sound of this ...

BERGEN RECORD

"Eric is the gate-keeper of the Belichick world on defense," said Pat Kirwan of Sirius NFL Radio and nfl.com.

"Bill has told me before that Eric is his brightest coach and I know that to be true. He is also tenacious and has a tough presence about him. Players will respect him."

"Lots of people thought [Jon] Gruden [at 34] was too young when he left Philadelphia for Oakland," Kirwan said.

"Gruden has 'it' and so does Eric."

Mangini wasn't my first choice, but I do like the sound of this ...

BERGEN RECORD

"Eric is the gate-keeper of the Belichick world on defense," said Pat Kirwan of Sirius NFL Radio and nfl.com.

"Bill has told me before that Eric is his brightest coach and I know that to be true. He is also tenacious and has a tough presence about him. Players will respect him."

"Lots of people thought [Jon] Gruden [at 34] was too young when he left Philadelphia for Oakland," Kirwan said.

"Gruden has 'it' and so does Eric."

I think we actually may have gotten it right this time Ham,,

May actually have someone for a long time,, a system for a long time,,

his Conn. connectiuons and family in area make it possible he sees this as a long term position,,

we may have gotten it right Ham,,,

1. Missing meetings

This is what I want to see. Weed out all the old, slow, not good enough, etc. now. Take the cap hit for Martin, now. Get Penny to restructure.

Draft this year to rebuild the O.Line, and the interior of the D. Line. Who cares if we go 4-12 next season. Just show me changes that are a step in the right direction.

The media hates Bellichick. They cannot stand that Parcells and Bellichick don't allow assistants to speak to the media at all. Parcells is so friendly with Fatcessa that he owns horses wtih him and vacations with him, and has been on his show about 4 times total. Shanahan literally reads the NFL guidlines and does no more. Joe Torre went from Clueless Joe to HoFer. And the reason all these guys get good press even thoguh they are often unpleasant to deal with is WINNING. And even guys in the media will tell you as much. Do that and everything else takes care of itself.

And Mangini should get a 1 season honeymoon because the media darling shat the bed so completely. In fact, any coach spending 2 hours of a workday taling to the media as Edwards did isn't doing his job. If Mangini's big worry is spending his a good chunk of his day talking to Peter King, Cimini and Canizzaro, the Jets picked the wrong guy.

There's no way this guy is going to spend that kind of time and that is good. It's just a question of composure and experience. It is new for him. Belly can hate the media all he wants, he is carrying a big stick.

The NY media has turned on Larry Brown already to some extent and he's clearly rebuilding.

Bradway even went to lengths to start the process of protecting Mangini if you listened to all his PC last week. He said, very clearly, that he will be taking a bigger role with the media. I think we know why now.

You are right that it is ultimately about how well you coach, but in this city, the media is a burden and you can look at history for your proof.

Mangini's knowledge and acumen is proven to a large extent. How he handles tough questions under hot lights is a complete unknown. I'm not saying that he should be a suck up. Just that he avoids the media pitfalls that have made life hard for tons of coaches in this town.

I don't know how well this kid is with couching his comments and such. I have never heard him speak. he may turn this into a non-issue quickly. I am hopeful for that.

This guy has been allowed to practice his craft and focus solely on coaching. He's got a lot more on his plate now. He may handle it all with ease. We'll see.

BTW, I like a confident gruff coach too. But those guys have to win. You cannot tell the media that they are dumb, not in so many words, and then go out and lose.

If he gets a year no matter what, then I tend to see your and Tex's point more. I've just seen it too many times and I have never heard so much as a sentence come out of this guy's mouth.

If I am a Pats fan, I like that Belly hates the media and like Tuna, he bullies them. Still, why is that neither of them allows their assistants to talk? On some level they are acknowledging that it matters. It

You and me both, my friend.

I like this hire and I give him an absolute pass in the first year. Cleaning up the Hermie mess ain't gonna be easy.

To be quite honist Bob - You have to give him more of a two year time span. Herm and Bradway have left a LOT of holes in this team, with the major being the ages of our veterans.

This is going to be a restructuring process that may take 1-2 years just to look slightly respectable.

That & the fact that he wasn't Bradway's 1st choice - He was Woody & Tannenbaum's makes me believe that Terry was looking for someone who was not out to redevelop & start from scratch but to fix holes in the existing team long enough for his (Bradway's) contract to be extended.

And as for age, put me in that club too - the boy (Mangini) is NINE years younger than me!

Mangini-1.16.jpg

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ERIC - You got one hell of a present this week!

Hey, it's all wins and losses, but there's little question that we saw a nervous coach up there at the podium. I think the fact that he NEEDED water shows the point I was trying to make.

If the press was inconsequential, then why was he so nervous? He's a human being and human beings don't mix well with the NY media.

Anyway, if he wins. it won't matter. Just win baby.

....This is a great hire for the Jets, IMO. Just have a little patience, Jets fans. His "style" and vision may take a couple of years to implement.

This division is a virtual who's-who of the Belichick Coaching tree. Saban in Miami, Mangini in NY...who is Buffalo going to go after? :lol: Quite a testement to the job BB has done, for sure.

I doubt he gets it.

Mangini has alot of upside and potential, but he does not have the resue Belichick had when Kraft hired him. Plus, Belichick had a rapport with Kraft he established in 1996.

I said this with Herm's hiring and feel it is probably true agin. It is a good hire, but the Jets' might not get to experience his success as he cuts his teeth with the ets.

I doubt Mangini has this with the Jets' ownership.

Archived