Mangini Accepts Offer To Be Head Coach (Merged)

runnyc262

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BY KEN BERGER

STAFF WRITER

January 16, 2006, 8:22 PM EST

On the eighth day of their search for a new head coach, the Jets decided late this afternoon to offer the job to Patriots defensive coordinator Eric Mangini, a person with knowledge of the situation told Newsday.

The team is expected to finalize details on a contract that is likely to make Mangini its next coach as early as Tuesday. Barring any contractual hang-ups, Mangini, who would become the youngest head coach in the NFL at 34, is likely to accept the job.

"It looks like he will," said the person, who spoke only on the condition of anonymity. "It's about as likely as anything could be."

The situation remains fluid and unfinished, the person cautioned, especially since the Jets finished interviewing their final candidate, former Vikings coach Mike Tice, at 4 p.m. this afternoon.

"There's still things that would have to happen and details that would have to be worked on," the person said. "But my perception is that by tomorrow morning, the Jets will have a new coach."

Their choice is Mangini, the Hartford, Conn., native who has spent 10 of his 11 years as an NFL assistant with Patriots coach Bill Belichick, including the 2005 season as his defensive coordinator.

"It appears as if the job will be his and the club was in the process of putting an offer on the table today," the person said.

A second person connected to the Jets' search confirmed that the Jets were leaning strongly toward Mangini, but did not have first-hand knowledge that an offer was made.

General manager Terry Bradway and assistant GM Mike Tannenbaum did not immediately respond to calls seeking comment. Earlier in the evening, Bradway issued a statement through a team spokesman.

"No other candidates are expected at this point," Bradway said. "At this point, we are going to huddle up and review our process to this point and decide what our next plan of action is."

Bradway and Tannenbaum interviewed Mangini on Sunday in Massachusetts, dined in Providence, R.I., and returned to Long Island late last night to prepare for the final interview of the week-long search, with Tice, the former Vikings head coach from Central Islip.

All along, team officials had set up interviews with Mangini and Tice on back-to-back days because they viewed them as the top two candidates. Their intuition was true, especially with Tice, who "knocked it out of the park," according the second person connected to the interview process.

Tice's interview was so good, the person said, that it caused the Jets' hierarchy to reassess the situation late this afternoon. But in the end, there apparently wasn't enough to dissuade the team from taking a chance on Mangini, who will turn 35 Thursday and is viewed by the Jets' hierarchy as an up-and-coming version of Belichick.

Hey, it ain't done yet. I recall a certain young coach changing his mind about being the HC of the NYJ...

Anyway, fingers are crossed.

'zackly, I dont trust Berger's sources. His sources told him last year we were close to signing Jonas Jennings and Pat Williams...

But, its encouraging.

Their intuition was true, especially with Tice, who "knocked it out of the park," according the second person connected to the interview process.

Tice's interview was so good, the person said, that it caused the Jets' hierarchy to reassess the situation late this afternoon.

The Jets better be picking the right guy...did Mangini "knock it out of the park"? Like I've said in a previous post, they better be hiring the best guy for the job and not a "glamour" pick.

Jets appear close to hiring Mangini as coach

Tice may be next in line in case Pats defensive coordinator doesn't take job

The Associated Press

Updated: 8:58 p.m. ET Jan. 16, 2006

NEW YORK - Former Vikings coach Mike Tice interviewed with the New York Jets on Monday, the final candidate to meet with the team to fill their vacant head coaching job.

General manager Terry Bradway said through a team spokesman that Tice was

You all know I would have preferred to go another direction.

However, Mangini is now the guy and I'm on board. I can disagree with a choice and still support it. I'm a Jets fan first and foremost, and I want them to succeed. I hope this works out.

The Jets wrapped up their search for a new coach Monday when Patriots defensive coordinator Eric Mangini accepted the club's offer to replace Herm Edwards.

Mangini, who becomes the youngest head coach in the NFL at 34 (he turns 35 on Thursday), and the Jets were finalizing the deal late Monday, ESPN.com's Michael Smith reports. An official announcement is expected Tuesday.

Mangini, who has spent nearly his entire career working for Bill Belichick, emerged as the leading candidate last week. He is regarded as one of the brightest defensive minds in the game.

Given at the end of the season we were looking at another year of coaching stupidity, couldn't be more happy, pleased and excited. I think the future of this team for the first time since Parcells saw the man in the mirror is finally back in sure hands. Watching Edwards run this team into the ground while dividing this fan base into pro and con camps was really awful. It's great to be a fan again.

J E T S,

JETS

JETS

JETS!

90% of Jets fans wanted this guy. We'll have noone to b!tch to if he F's up.

I think the Hendu firing is automatic. Could Dinger and Westhoff stick?

Like Esiason said - The Jets could hire Lombardi and people would bebitching that his offense isn't fit for the times.

The first guy to get the Jets a Super Bowl will be a living god for the rest of his life.

YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to see what kind of coin Woody the Cheapskate forked over!

what specifically has woody done in his 6 years as owner of the jets to get the title of 'cheapskate' owner?

all i can remember is woody shelling out cash for this, that, and the other. when has he been cheap?

in fact, if mangini cans hendu/dinger isn't woody still on the hook for their salary? how is that cheap?

The first time I'm confident in my HC in 5 years. There will be nothing for me to bitch about when it comes to the HC for a long, long time. Today I'm so happy to be a Jets fan. Please fellow Jets fans be patient. Because weeding through the garbage players Herm allowed to get away with anything and reshaping a roster will not be easy - nor will it be overnight.

what specifically has woody done in his 6 years as owner of the jets to get the title of 'cheapskate' owner?

all i can remember is woody shelling out cash for this, that, and the other. when has he been cheap?

in fact, if mangini cans hendu/dinger isn't woody still on the hook for their salary? how is that cheap?

Bingo.

It is now 100% evident that Cimini was right and Herm was the one spreading the rumor that Woody was cheap.

The first time I'm confident in my HC in 5 years. There will be nothing for me to b!tch about when it comes to the HC for a long, long time. Today I'm so happy to be a Jets fan. Please fellow Jets fans be patient. Because weeding through the garbage players Herm allowed to get away with anything and reshaping a roster will not be easy - nor will it be overnight.

I just printed this off and will put it in safekeeping. :lol:

I want to be on the record on this one:

This hiring is a mistake. This Coach is unqualified, and will prove himself to not have been ready (read Bellichek in Cleveland). We will not see the playoffs under his tenure more than one time.

As I have said elsewhere, this hiring is the Coaching equivalent of trading two #1's to draft a Dewayne Robertson. Mangini is the flavor-of-the-second, the coaching "workout wonder", another sign of the Jets inferiority complex and obsession with their New England Rival and will, ultimately, prove himself to be far far far from the anser for this franchise.

I will support him, because he is our coach, but I am deeply against this hiring.

The New York Jets wrapped up their search for a new coach Monday when Patriots defensive coordinator Eric Mangini accepted the club's offer to replace Herm Edwards.

Mangini, who becomes the youngest head coach in the NFL at 34 (he turns 35 on Thursday), and the Jets were finalizing the deal late Monday. An official announcement is expected Tuesday.

"We haven't heard anything," Patriots spokesman Stacey James told The Associated Press.

The Jets moved quickly Monday after former Vikings coach Mike Tice, the final candidate to meet with the team, was brought in for an interview. The Associated Press reported that Jets assistant coaches had been told to report to work Wednesday, indicating a decision on a hire would be made by then.

Mangini, a prot

Archived