Mangini Accepts Offer To Be Head Coach (Merged)

runnyc262

I doubt he gets it.

Mangini has alot of upside and potential, but he does not have the resue Belichick had when Kraft hired him. Plus, Belichick had a rapport with Kraft he established in 1996.

I said this with Herm's hiring and feel it is probably true agin. It is a good hire, but the Jets' might not get to experience his success as he cuts his teeth with the ets.

I doubt Mangini has this with the Jets' ownership.

The ownership and front office already admits that the Jets culture needs to be changed. This will not happen overnight. He got a 5 year deal and it will be in year 2 or 3 when the Jets start really seeing a difference.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting how many of the people that are calling for Mangini's head after a 1-6 start are the same that originally admitted that Mangini is going to rebuild this team over time and we wont be good for another 2 or 3 years.

The thought of a coaching change at this point is just insane. INSANE. Mangini is not having a good year but let's be patient.

Teams that take 5+ years to rebuild no longer win in the NFL. And if they go into year 3 having no clue who the QB is, suddenly it's a 5 year plan.

Rebuilding means you bring in talent. So far they've brought in avg players, not pro bowlers. At this pace, they'll win in 2022.

Rebuilding means improving the team, not making every thing worse. Not one of their draft picks is close to being a pro bowler. Not one of their free agent signings are any good. Rebuilding means playing youth. The Jets are not that young of a team.

Stop with the "rebuilding" excuse. Rebuilding teams don't trade draft picks for Patrick Ramsey, Barlow, Thomas Jones. They don't rebuild around a 29 year old RB. They don't rebuild around a 30 something QB. Rebuilding means you actually rebuild, it doesn't mean you make that excuse cause they are 1-6.

Mangini should get another year, but if they don't bring in a NT or improve anything on this team next season, he should be fired at that point.

The thought of a coaching change at this point is just insane. INSANE. Mangini is not having a good year but let's be patient.

I agree.

We wanted to give him time coming in, he said it would require time coming in...

Give him what he needs and we'll see if he can deliver on his promise.

P.S. Did you get my most recent PM?

Agreed, we may hate some of his decisions, but i dont know about firing his azz after one and a half seasons.

I just dont understand how a guy who seemed to be on the ball the first season has dropped the ball the following season. He is the same person, right?

Agreed, we may hate some of his decisions, but i dont know about firing his azz after one and a half seasons.

I just dont understand how a guy who seemed to be on the ball the first season has dropped the ball the following season. He is the same person, right?

Arrogance. Mangini seems to act like a 15 year old kid. A guy who goes out of his way to prove to the world he is right and everybody else is wrong. So far, he's proving that he doesn't know what he's doing.

Interesting how many of the people that are calling for Mangini's head after a 1-6 start are the same that originally admitted that Mangini is going to rebuild this team over time and we wont be good for another 2 or 3 years.

You know why?

Because Mangini hasn't done anything to rebuild this team.

what the **** are you babling about be specific. i am a guy i get confused easily when you make arguments like a little girl

You said Mangini wants to build through the draft and we should give him more time.

I said he traded away all our draft picks.

What is so hard to understand about that? I'll make a deal with you: if I quit arguing like a little girl, will you quit responding to my arguments like a giant retard?

he has only gone through 2 drafts. and he wants to build mostly through the draft

Barlow, Ramsey, Thomas Jones all were guys traded for draft picks. None were young.

They traded half their last picks for two players. They continue to start CHad.

Building through the draft actually means building through the draft. It doesn't mean having 4 avg players at this point.

I'll give him another season, but there is nothing in the draft that says he knows how to find pro bowl players.

What's worse is they don't start the guys they draft anyway. Either they suck at drafting, which should be cause for concern, or they refuse to start young players, which means they do not rebuild. They only start Brick, Mangold and Revis to my knowledge. LW, Schlegel, Clemens and I'm sure a boat load of others I'm forgetting seem like wasted picks.

What's worse is they don't start the guys they draft anyway. Either they suck at drafting, which should be cause for concern, or they refuse to start young players, which means they do not rebuild. They only start Brick, Mangold and Revis to my knowledge. LW, Schlegel, Clemens and I'm sure a boat load of others I'm forgetting seem like wasted picks.

They'd drafted ok. DBrick and Mangold look like decent OL. But they aren't 'anchors' like people assumed. Revis and Harris look ok, but they aren't pro bowlers.

Building a winner through the draft means you have to pick pro bowl players. It doesn't mean you draft 2 avg guys per year. If that's the case, 2022 might look good.

Barlow, Ramsey, Thomas Jones all were guys traded for draft picks. None were young.

They traded half their last picks for two players. They continue to start CHad.

Building through the draft actually means building through the draft. It doesn't mean having 4 avg players at this point.

I'll give him another season, but there is nothing in the draft that says he knows how to find pro bowl players.

i was the first to criticise tangini to trade for barlow, ramsey, thomas jone. while every body including u said what moves nice job mangini.

2nd there is no gaurantee that those traded away picks were a waste.

3rd mangini has done a better job of drafting than most first time head coaches.

and chargers had the most probowlers last year and they were beaten by NE who had i think only 1 or 2 probowlers

You said Mangini wants to build through the draft and we should give him more time.

I said he traded away all our draft picks.

What is so hard to understand about that? I'll make a deal with you: if I quit arguing like a little girl, will you quit responding to my arguments like a giant retard?

make some valid points and i'll take u seriously, but dont be like ecurb and blabber your emotions like a bad date

But for adding Barlow, Ramsey, and Jones, we'd have been looking at late picks in every round (~#25ish) plus the #35 overall pick. Eight players; 4 on day one; 3 in the first two rounds.

We ended up with Revis, Harris, Jones, Bender, and Stuckey (plus one year each of Kevan Barlow & Patrick Ramsey). And in doing so, cost ourselves an extra $13-16M for Revis over the first 5 years (over our original pick #25) and an additional $18M or so for Jones over a pick with his trade value. And another $7-10M for Revis in year six. Plus we're eating a couple of bucks more because we gave both Ramsey and Barlow a little extra & totally unnecessary signing bonus money between July-September last year after already surrendering draft picks for them. Yes, that is an extra $30-32M or so in cap room now gone over the 4-5 years starting in 2007. Tell me why we couldn't have kept all those picks and paid Adalius Thomas that money -- and be in the exact same cap situation.

What Tangini did was what a team does when it's filling in its last couple of pieces, or what a desperate coach/GM does when trying to save their own about-to-be-terminated jobs. It's not what a smart team does when it needs retooling at several positions, with the long-term future in mind.

make some valid points and i'll take u seriously, but dont be like ecurb and blabber your emotions like a bad date

Have you ever had a good post since you signed up here?

I don't need to convince you of anything, because I couldn't give a **** less what you think.

But for adding Barlow, Ramsey, and Jones, we'd have been looking at late picks in every round (~#25ish) plus the #35 overall pick. Eight players; 4 on day one; 3 in the first two rounds.

We ended up with Revis, Harris, Jones, Bender, and Stuckey (plus one year each of Kevan Barlow & Patrick Ramsey). And in doing so, cost ourselves an extra $13-16M for Revis over the first 5 years (over our original pick #25) and an additional $18M or so for Jones over a pick with his trade value. And another $7-10M for Revis in year six. Plus we're eating a couple of bucks more because we gave both Ramsey and Barlow a little extra & totally unnecessary signing bonus money between July-September last year after already surrendering draft picks for them. Yes, that is an extra $30-32M or so in cap room now gone over the 4-5 years starting in 2007. Tell me why we couldn't have kept all those picks and paid Adalius Thomas that money -- and be in the exact same cap situation.

What Tangini did was what a team does when it's filling in its last couple of pieces, or what a desperate coach/GM does when trying to save their own about-to-be-terminated jobs. It's not what a smart team does when it needs retooling at several positions, with the long-term future in mind.

I agree. They just don't seem to be rebuilding or have a clue how to do it. It's like they have to rebuild and remodel a house, except they only make a few patches on the roof instead of tearing it off and replacing it. Then they add a few patch jobs to the basement, but they don't fix it. By the time they do get to fixing all the parts of the house, it'll probably collapse.

As far as the Chargers losing, maybe if they kept Drew Brees last season they would have won, who knows. But yeah the Pats only have a couple pro bowlers but they are also the freaking Patriots. They seem to win a lot and have a HOF QB and a HOF coach, tainted or not.

Mangini hasn't made great draft picks. He's picked avg ones. DBrick is avg. Mangold is avg so far. Revis isn't even the best rookie CB. Harris looks ok, but who knows. So far they have not drafted one pro bowler. They have not signed one pro bowler.

I'd have more hope for the future if they were indeed rebuilding. But so far, they are patching here, patching there and hoping all the pieces fit together. They aren't going in with any real plans. And stop with the Stuckey crap. The guy hasn't even played yet.

I agree. They just don't seem to be rebuilding or have a clue how to do it. It's like they have to rebuild and remodel a house, except they only make a few patches on the roof instead of tearing it off and replacing it. Then they add a few patch jobs to the basement, but they don't fix it. By the time they do get to fixing all the parts of the house, it'll probably collapse.

As far as the Chargers losing, maybe if they kept Drew Brees last season they would have won, who knows. But yeah the Pats only have a couple pro bowlers but they are also the freaking Patriots. They seem to win a lot and have a HOF QB and a HOF coach, tainted or not.

Mangini hasn't made great draft picks. He's picked avg ones. DBrick is avg. Mangold is avg so far. Revis isn't even the best rookie CB. Harris looks ok, but who knows. So far they have not drafted one pro bowler. They have not signed one pro bowler.

I'd have more hope for the future if they were indeed rebuilding. But so far, they are patching here, patching there and hoping all the pieces fit together. They aren't going in with any real plans. And stop with the Stuckey crap. The guy hasn't even played yet.

I would have just made the analogy that their task of building a house seems to be starting with hanging curtains first & finish by pouring the foundation as one of the last steps.

I would have just made the analogy that their task of building a house seems to be starting with hanging curtains first & finish by pouring the foundation as one of the last steps.

I wish it weren't true. I had hope after last season, but right now, I'm just not sure anymore.

Archived