What the Jets absolutely need in their next head coach - Serby, NY Post

Gas2No99

I want an arrogant prick as our next HC that hates to lose and doesn't tolerate less than 100% from his coaches and players. 

It would help if he was sarcastic and made people cry with his biting wit. I don't want to hear anymore coaches talk about how we will figure it out and that we're sticking together. Kumbaya is not working. You better try something else or find another place to work.

I don't remember a successful coach that was a good guy. I'm tired of good guys that want people to like them. 

Agreed.  It's even more important to get this right now because of the model for success in today's NFL.  The way to win is find that excellent QB and have him on a relatively low-cost rookie deal for 4-5 years and then go all-in to win a SB.  It's what the Eagles have done.  It's how Seattle built that great roster in Russell Wilson's early years.  It's the reason the Rams extended Gurley and have signed/traded for everyone under the sun this year.
The clock is already ticking.  We don't know if Darnold is the man, but we HAVE TO assume that he is.  That's why I think Maccagnan has done a good job of stockpiling $$$ for FA and found a way to retain next year's 1st round pick.  Quite honestly, if I'm the Jets then I'm trading down from somewhere like #10 to the teens and recouping a 2nd rounder.

Yeah. I can buy into the idea that there is a master plan here. I know a lot of guys don’t like to believe we’re two years into a rebuild but that is exactly what is happening.
I’m
Not sure what aspect of signing revis, cromartie, forte, Brandon Marshall, Marcus gilchrist and Fitzpatrick among others makes someone think we were rebuilding during that time. It looks a lot more like a quick shot at winning it all really quick before anyone can catch their breath. Especially when you think of chan gaily coming out of retirement to coach for two years.

Seems to me that while macc has certainly missed on some players, we are on a path here. Next year should be the year of offensive talent. Both o line and skill positions. Truth is the d is not too far off.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The state of Ohio is known for football. To be more specific, it's known as a mecca for football coaches. There's the well-known "Cradle of Coaches" coming out of Oxford, but just over 200 miles to the northeast is Massillon. The small town, nestled in the shadow of Cleveland and a 10-minute drive from the Pro Football Hall of Fame, was home to one of the hottest names in the 2018 coaching carousel. 

Massillon is where Matt Campbell spent his youth as the son of a high school football coach. Now 38 years old and a head coach himself at Iowa State, Campbell's name is among the most talked about in both college football and NFL circles.

How to write a Steve Serby article: pick at least 3 of the following tropes, add words, change dates, repeat:

1.Star crossed franchise.

2. Since 1969

3. Mercurial wide receiver

4. These Jets could be SUPER IF...

5. its been 50 years since

6. Not since Broadway Joes guarantee

7. Long suffering Jets faithful

8. Not since Bill Parcells

9. The clock has struck midnight

10. Can _____ Do his best Broadway Joe impersonation?

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

The state of Ohio is known for football. To be more specific, it's known as a mecca for football coaches. There's the well-known "Cradle of Coaches" coming out of Oxford, but just over 200 miles to the northeast is Massillon. The small town, nestled in the shadow of Cleveland and a 10-minute drive from the Pro Football Hall of Fame, was home to one of the hottest names in the 2018 coaching carousel. 

Massillon is where Matt Campbell spent his youth as the son of a high school football coach. Now 38 years old and a head coach himself at Iowa State, Campbell's name is among the most talked about in both college football and NFL circles.

Yup just read an article about him  "Best  coach in the country that no one's ever heard of".

Campbell is a good coach.  Iowa State is historically one of the bottom few Power 5 football programs, and he has made them respectable.  That said, he's still under .500 in his tenure there. That would be a huge, huge gamble.  Huge.  I can't see the Jets taking that risk.  Maybe the Browns would, due to his connections to the state, but that would be a hard sell in New York.

9 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Yeah. I can buy into the idea that there is a master plan here. I know a lot of guys don’t like to believe we’re two years into a rebuild but that is exactly what is happening.
I’m
Not sure what aspect of signing revis, cromartie, forte, Brandon Marshall, Marcus gilchrist and Fitzpatrick among others makes someone think we were rebuilding during that time. It looks a lot more like a quick shot at winning it all really quick before anyone can catch their breath. Especially when you think of chan gaily coming out of retirement to coach for two years.

Seems to me that while macc has certainly missed on some players, we are on a path here. Next year should be the year of offensive talent. Both o line and skill positions. Truth is the d is not too far off.

So we didn’t draft any players in 2015 and 2016? We didn’t sign any younger players? Complete pass for those 2 years even though Mac knew going into the job that this team needed ALOT and was still rebuilding after 2014.

This is crazy to discount and act like it’s ok that almost nothing was salvaged from those 2 seasons of draft and FA. 

So we didn’t draft any players in 2015 and 2016? We didn’t sign any younger players? Complete pass for those 2 years even though Mac knew going into the job that this team needed ALOT and was still rebuilding after 2014.
This is crazy to discount and act like it’s ok that almost nothing was salvaged from those 2 seasons of draft and FA. 

Of course there were drafted players. That’s not what I’m saying.
I’m saying that the mindset was not a tear down and rebuild. It was a quick spending spree to try and grab a championship right away. How can anyone possibly say that the revis and cromartie bunch was a rebuild?

I guess technically every year you try and add talent can be considered a rebuilding process but other than that I don’t see it.
the first two years were very different than the last two.
Getting rid of Wilkerson, Richardson, decker etc is how you start a rebuild. Cutting or trading away the high priced vets and going young.

Gruden is doing it now in Oakland. That’s what a rebuild looks like. Not signing forte and Marshall

14 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Of course there were drafted players. That’s not what I’m saying.
I’m saying that the mindset was not a tear down and rebuild. It was a quick spending spree to try and grab a championship right away. How can anyone possibly say that the revis and cromartie bunch was a rebuild?

I guess technically every year you try and add talent can be considered a rebuilding process but other than that I don’t see it.
the first two years were very different than the last two.
Getting rid of Wilkerson, Richardson, decker etc is how you start a rebuild. Cutting or trading away the high priced vets and going young.

Gruden is doing it now in Oakland. That’s what a rebuild looks like. Not signing forte and Marshall

But we weren’t going for a “championship”. It was a rebuild but trying to get a boost (and ticket sales) by signing some Vets or trading for Marshall and Fitz. He also signed younger players like Carpenter, Skrine and Gilchrist which were meant to be long term pieces. The amount of misses in FA and draft cannot be discounted under any circumstance. We were not going for a championship and in no position to. That’s insane. 

I agree that every year every team “retools” through the draft which is why a team that is in DESPERATE need of drafting well (the whole reason Mac was hired), cannot miss on so many picks on top of it. 

But we weren’t going for a “championship”. It was a rebuild but trying to get a boost (and ticket sales) by signing some Vets or trading for Marshall and Fitz. He also signed younger players like Carpenter, Skrine and Gilchrist which were meant to be long term pieces. The amount of misses in FA and draft cannot be discounted under any circumstance. We were not going for a championship and in no position to. That’s insane. 
I agree that every year every team “retools” through the draft which is why a team that is in DESPERATE need of drafting well (the whole reason Mac was hired), cannot miss on so many picks on top of it. 

Retool. Better way to say it. Right.

I’m a realist. I’m a bit of a homer at times but I can usually see both sides of a discussion.
I’m totally with you on the misses in both the draft and in FA.
I understand why you are thinking and saying what you are. Truth is more people here agree with you than don’t.
I just take a look at the types of guys we were signing liberally year one. It looks very different than year three. These were guys in the twilight of their careers. Big names to sell some tickets yes but it was an attempt to quickly scrape together enough talent to make a run. guys like revis were more likely a Johnson request too but that is what it is.

Cutting ties with Richardson, decker, wilk and others is what a tear down rebuild looks like. It’s a house cleaning. A case can be made that macc is not the guy to lead this housecleaning but it’s more difficult to really believe that the initial plan and the housecleaning were apart of the same plan. Unless ya just want to of course. :)

I agree that Bowles' conservatism has hampered the Jets development. I agree that Bowles seems like a very decent man and a pretty decent play caller. But as another poster said, can he fill out a staff? the cruel answer is, NO, he cannot.
Kaycee Rodgers didn't have a health scare. He had a "I couldn't call an effective defense, even if it is costing me my job" moment. He's not good. And, please, these OCs out of the 1960s have even less balls than Mother****in Hackett!! So, no, his staffing sucks.
And does he have a positive impact during the game? no, he generally doesn't.
You want to know why there have been no turnovers recently? Because desperate offenses give away turnovers. Offenses that are ahead less likely to give it up. And you can't be desperate offense with a lead.
And, unfortunately, we all have realized that all Darnold has is the tools. He doesn't quite have to savvy to use them effectively, especially when the offensive play calling is just sooo out of touch with modern NFL concept of throwing the football AT LEAST 35 times a game.

Great points.
And with all that being said, why would we believe that Bowles is getting the best out of guys like lee, Leo, Adams and the rest. I believe that Bowles is destroying any chance at these guys, and that includes darnold, reaching their full potential.

Macc is a victim!!! lol.

31 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Retool. Better way to say it. Right.

I’m a realist. I’m a bit of a homer at times but I can usually see both sides of a discussion.
I’m totally with you on the misses in both the draft and in FA.
I understand why you are thinking and saying what you are. Truth is more people here agree with you than don’t.
I just take a look at the types of guys we were signing liberally year one. It looks very different than year three. These were guys in the twilight of their careers. Big names to sell some tickets yes but it was an attempt to quickly scrape together enough talent to make a run. guys like revis were more likely a Johnson request too but that is what it is.

Cutting ties with Richardson, decker, wilk and others is what a tear down rebuild looks like. It’s a house cleaning. A case can be made that macc is not the guy to lead this housecleaning but it’s more difficult to really believe that the initial plan and the housecleaning were apart of the same plan. Unless ya just want to of course. :)

The philosophy was very different than year three but still at least partially a rebuild. I wish we could have done an actual full tear down like Oakland.

We did trade for Richardson but we needed to trade back our first 3 drafts for more picks in rounds 2-3 and didn’t. The best way to rebuild is with a sh*t ton of picks like what Cleveland did. 

I get that we see things differently (that’s the point of a message board) but just can’t understand how years 1-2 get a pass by some and we act like Mac was only hired in 2017. It’d be one thing if we did well with drafting and FA those 2 years but we didn’t. 

The philosophy was very different than year three but still at least partially a rebuild. I wish we could have done an actual full tear down like Oakland.
We did trade for Richardson but we needed to trade back our first 3 drafts for more picks in rounds 2-3 and didn’t. The best way to rebuild is with a sh*t ton of picks like what Cleveland did. 
I get that we see things differently (that’s the point of a message board) but just can’t understand how years 1-2 get a pass by some and we act like Mac was only hired in 2017. It’d be one thing if we did well with drafting and FA those 2 years but we didn’t. 

I don’t think it’s so much a pass as an understanding that there were two separate mindsets at work.
The first being somewhat of a retooling (like that?) While trying to win with a lot of the guys we already had in place. Wilk, decker, Sheldon, Geno etc.

The second was a kind of a come to Jesus where we didn’t think we could win with those players and it was time for a tear down. That understanding includes knowing that it’s going to take time. More than two years.

I don’t really give macc a pass and wish he could have done better in the draft but I also think he’s progressively done some good things. When you look at this the way I just explained it makes a little more sense to give it more time. If you disagree with what I’m saying it could be tough to justify that.

Firing Bowles and getting a real HC in here is a big one. Getting serious offensive talent in here is another. I’d rather not have to see the jets have to rebuild the entire front office and scouting department as well. Especially when it looks like they may just be hitting their stride.

13 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I don’t think it’s so much a pass as an understanding that there were two separate mindsets at work.
The first being somewhat of a retooling (like that?) While trying to win with a lot of the guys we already had in place. Wilk, decker, Sheldon, Geno etc.

The second was a kind of a come to Jesus where we didn’t think we could win with those players and it was time for a tear down. That understanding includes knowing that it’s going to take time. More than two years.

I don’t really give macc a pass and wish he could have done better in the draft but I also think he’s progressively done some good things. When you look at this the way I just explained it makes a little more sense to give it more time. If you disagree with what I’m saying it could be tough to justify that.

Firing Bowles and getting a real HC in here is a big one. Getting serious offensive talent in here is another. I’d rather not have to see the jets have to rebuild the entire front office and scouting department as well. Especially when it looks like they may just be hitting their stride.

Fair enough. I want Mac gone. That’s our only real difference of opinion. I enjoy conversations like this. 

2 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Fair enough. I want Mac gone. That’s our only real difference of opinion. I enjoy conversations like this. 

Amazing. We didn't need to call each other noobs or talk about each other's mothers once. That's really something. 

:-) 

Yeah man, I totally understand every point you make and why you would feel the way you do. I am just not there. Believe me, when I'm watching guys drop passes or botch snaps or whatever I start thinking everyone needs to go too. So I get it. 

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

Amazing. We didn't need to call each other noobs or talk about each other's mothers once. That's really something. 

:-) 

Yeah man, I totally understand every point you make and why you would feel the way you do. I am just not there. Believe me, when I'm watching guys drop passes or botch snaps or whatever I start thinking everyone needs to go too. So I get it. 

Well, until next time noob. Jk haha. 

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:10 AM, GREENBEAN said:

Great points.
And with all that being said, why would we believe that Bowles is getting the best out of guys like lee, Leo, Adams and the rest. I believe that Bowles is destroying any chance at these guys, and that includes darnold, reaching their full potential.

Macc is a victim!!! lol.

It's clear to me that this regime is the absolute wrong one to give a Franchise QB to, in whole or in part, it needs to go. Bowles doesn't understand aggression wins, passivity loses. And he has this team playing like they are waiting for the next shoe to drop. They play slow and flat to begin games, whether it's the offense or defense. Well, the offense ALWAYS plays flat, now the defense does too.

He brings nothing of innovation or passion to gameday.

Archived