Damien Woody on fire.

DonCorleone

6 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Rex made the Jets a desirable place for players.  

Who the hell wants to play for that Mope Bowles.

Ask great players like Mangold, Faneca, Ferguson, Harris if they would have traded all his bravado and BS for just ONE Super Bowl ring.  He lost his voice after the Patriots win in 2010.  That is not the behavior of a SB coach. he was then EXTREMELY unprepared for Pittsburgh and let Colts drop 24 on him in 2009. GREAT guy???  No one says that about Parcells, Bellicek, Mike Tomlin , Coughlin etc.  

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Jetlag said:

No one will agree with me and no one ever does but I've said it many times to people over the years.  Rex should have never been fired.  I've thought that since day one.  Yes I remember all the bad, I remember the butt fumble I remember the poor clock decisions, I remember the media gaffs.  This man gave a sh*t.  I hate to tell Jet fans this but here's the truth.....our culture sucks.  There's nothing redeeming about this team or it's fanbase.  We're pessimistic, sarcastic and almost relish this idea of the next coach will fix everything.   Rex was a wild card, in many respects, but he had the ego and was bombastic enough to break through that nonsense.  He understood we must embrace the greatness of Jets history (what little it was) and look to build on that.  Yea I get he made plenty of poor decisions and no one will agree but I've been a fan of this team for 20 years and he's easily the best coach we ever had in that tenure and yes you know who I'm including that.

Been a fan for about 45 years. Rex started great and was a victim of his early success. His ego released the clown in him and there was no going back. 

23 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Ask great players like Mangold, Faneca, Ferguson, Harris if they would have traded all his bravado and BS for just ONE Super Bowl ring.  He lost his voice after the Patriots win in 2010.  That is not the behavior of a SB coach. he was then EXTREMELY unprepared for Pittsburgh and let Colts drop 24 on him in 2009. GREAT guy???  No one says that about Parcells, Bellicek, Mike Tomlin , Coughlin etc.  

The soft stuff is great, but it's all about the W in the end. 

15 hours ago, BallinPB said:

I hate the term players quitting on a coach.  This isn't baseball or basketball.  Most players on this team as well as most NFL teams are playing for jobs.  To say players quit on a coach I think is stupid.  

You can say they weren't put in position to succeed or that the players made mistakes but like I said, most of these guys are playing for future contracts or to stay with the team.  They don't just quit on a coach because that in turn effects their future.   

Yet that's exactly what happened on Sunday.  They quit on Todd Bowles.  It doesn't happen often, but it does indeed happen. 

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Knucklehead...(joking tone)  please read. I said it FELT like he didn’t.  FELT and FACT are not synonymous. let me guess...  you graduated from a vocational high school???  ?. I liked REX as much as anyone in 2009 and 2010 but he showed over and over he is NOT a football man long term.  He ruined this team after 2 years.   RUINED it.  The man is a buffoon who can barely put a sentence together....   oh wait now I see the connection.  English usage and comprehension. ??

WOW.  Name calling, grammar police and I got no doubt, you probably think that is a winning argument but then again you make stuff up to prove your point, NO?  

9 hours ago, Jetlag said:

No one will agree with me and no one ever does but I've said it many times to people over the years.  Rex should have never been fired.  I've thought that since day one.  Yes I remember all the bad, I remember the butt fumble I remember the poor clock decisions, I remember the media gaffs.  This man gave a sh*t.  I hate to tell Jet fans this but here's the truth.....our culture sucks.  There's nothing redeeming about this team or it's fanbase.  We're pessimistic, sarcastic and almost relish this idea of the next coach will fix everything.   Rex was a wild card, in many respects, but he had the ego and was bombastic enough to break through that nonsense.  He understood we must embrace the greatness of Jets history (what little it was) and look to build on that.  Yea I get he made plenty of poor decisions and no one will agree but I've been a fan of this team for 20 years and he's easily the best coach we ever had in that tenure and yes you know who I'm including that.

Rex was the only coach I felt that gave a damn to be a Jets coach and not just a job., he gave it all.  Even in his final year with a depleted roster out of the 12 losses 7 of them were by 8 points or less, including the two losses against the Pats by a total combined 3 points.  

On 11/12/2018 at 5:34 PM, BallinPB said:

I hate the term players quitting on a coach.  This isn't baseball or basketball.  Most players on this team as well as most NFL teams are playing for jobs.  To say players quit on a coach I think is stupid.  

You can say they weren't put in position to succeed or that the players made mistakes but like I said, most of these guys are playing for future contracts or to stay with the team.  They don't just quit on a coach because that in turn effects their future.  

then explain Bowles calling the defense out against the fins and them not showing up against the bills? That is the very example of it

On 11/13/2018 at 6:54 AM, southparkcpa said:

It's great to pick out 4 outlier coaches and compare Rex against them, but let's face it Rex was 1000x better than Bowles and the most successful coach we had since Weeb.

On 11/13/2018 at 6:54 AM, southparkcpa said:

On 11/13/2018 at 12:19 AM, Jetlag said:

Well IMO the problem was Rex should have been fired the year before he was let go.

In truth the year the Jets fired Rex was perhaps his best year as a Jets coach despite the record, he did a great job that last year based on the talent he had to work with and the incompetent GM running the show.

7 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

It's great to pick out 4 outlier coaches and compare Rex against them, but let's face it Rex was 1000x better than Bowles and the most successful coach we had since Weeb.

Agreed. But, OK but that speaks to how BAD our organization is when a well below 500 coach is a top coach. The thing with REX is he had talent, confidence and as we know, bravado but was basically lazy. How a REAL HC never got involved on offense? Really?  Way unprepared for 2 straight AFC Championship games.  The man can barely put a sentence together and I guarantee you if he wrote long hand it would be FULL of spelling errors. Why?  Because detail matters not to him.  But YES, I agree, WAY better than Bowles and in our top 3 no doubt.

17 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Agreed. But, OK but that speaks to how BAD our organization is when a well below 500 coach is a top coach. The thing with REX is he had talent, confidence and as we know, bravado but was basically lazy. How a REAL HC never got involved on offense? Really?  Way unprepared for 2 straight AFC Championship games.  The man can barely put a sentence together and I guarantee you if he wrote long hand it would be FULL of spelling errors. Why?  Because detail matters not to him.  But YES, I agree, WAY better than Bowles and in our top 3 no doubt.

As BAD as our organization was Rex took us to 2 AFCCGs.

Not sure what facts you have to say he was lazy.

Way unprepared?  Did you watch the Indy game.  We lost several players to injury in that game including a few DBs and our RB and we had Mark Rookie Sanchez vs. Peyton Manning when Peyton was at his peak.

Regarding the Steelers game Pittsbugh ran the ball down our throats in the first half when Pittsburgh scored ALL their points (25).  In the 2nd half we scored 19 unanswered points with Sanchez, but ran out of time.

Regarding his speaking and writing skills, I'm not gonna bother addressing that point.  Bellichik and Parcells aren't great orators either and as far as I'm concerned it's not really relevant to being a good football coach.

Oh and regarding not being involved in the offense, seems to me our offense was a heck of a lot better then than anything we've seen since.

On 11/13/2018 at 12:19 AM, Jetlag said:

Amen! Rex wasn't perfect.  No one is, but he was the most effective coach since Parcells.

After the 2nd AFCCG they deconstucted the offense to pay Santonio Holmes.  Damian Woody, Slausen, Tomlinson, Edwards, Hartsock (solid blocking TE), Tony Richardson, all gone.  How many pro bowls in that group?  Damn close to 10 if not more.  All those guys gone in one year and replaced with no one.  So go ahead and blame Rex and Sanchez.

All I know is it hasn't gotten any better and NO decent player wants to come to this Sh!t show.

I liked Rex. But he coached himself out of a job over time and especially once the league adjusted to his blitz packages. 

A major diff between Rex and Bowles was Rex's ability to recruit FAs and a decent coaching staff (except OC). 

Bowles's staff is a horror show - so bad he can't be fired because he has prepared no one to run the or be worthy of being an HC somewhere else. The one guy who seemed to deliver was Morton and we fired him...

30 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Amen! Rex wasn't perfect.  No one is, but he was the most effective coach since Parcells.

After the 2nd AFCCG they deconstucted the offense to pay Santonio Holmes.  Damian Woody, Slausen, Tomlinson, Edwards, Hartsock (solid blocking TE), Tony Richardson, all gone.  How many pro bowls in that group?  Damn close to 10 if not more.  All those guys gone in one year and replaced with no one.  So go ahead and blame Rex and Sanchez.

All I know is it hasn't gotten any better and NO decent player wants to come to this Sh!t show.

Rex had to be fired given the circumstances even if only for things getting stale. It’s a shame he never got a half decent QB. 

I think he is hated too much by our fans and that’s kinda messed up given what he helped accomplish. He was the best coach that we’ve had in a while and things were fun. 

So firing him wasn’t the wrong move. Totally missing on coach and GM for replacements is what has set us back now. We have to just take another crack at both. If we don't fire both, start losing hope for this franchise. 

24 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

A huge part of the Jet inability to recover after losing those offensive FAs were decisions to draft players like Dee Milner, Calvin Pryor and Dex McDougle when offensive talent was on the board that could have made a difference. 

Clearly, those are directly on Idzik, but certainly Rex had influence (or at least boasted to) - and so I think it oversimplifies to absolve him of having any responsibility of the offensive dismantling that ended his tenure with us. Strategy is about choices and he def had a hand in the ones we made during that period.

4 hours ago, ryu79 said:

A huge part of the Jet inability to recover after losing those offensive FAs were decisions to draft players like Dee Milner, Calvin Pryor and Dex McDougle when offensive talent was on the board that could have made a difference. 

Clearly, those are directly on Idzik, but certainly Rex had influence (or at least boasted to) - and so I think it oversimplifies to absolve him of having any responsibility of the offensive dismantling that ended his tenure with us. Strategy is about choices and he def had a hand in the ones we made during that period.

Tannenbaum was responsible for the offensive dismantling, Idzik came later.  The reality is that many of the players that got the Jets to the AFCCG, were older and Sanchez,  Revis, Cromartie, Mangold and Brick, had to get paid.  You're right that afterwards we had some bad drafts and Rex was part of those under Tannenbaum.  When Idzik joined, he made it clear he was choosing the players and Rex was responsible for them on the field, this was likely a reaction to the bad previous drafts when Rex had significant influence. 

5 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Tannenbaum was responsible for the offensive dismantling, Idzik came later.  The reality is that many of the players that got the Jets to the AFCCG, were older and Sanchez,  Revis, Cromartie, Mangold and Brick, had to get paid.  You're right that afterwards we had some bad drafts and Rex was part of those under Tannenbaum.  When Idzik joined, he made it clear he was choosing the players and Rex was responsible for them on the field, this was likely a reaction to the bad previous drafts when Rex had significant influence. 

Could have sworn Idzik picked Pryor and recall Rex saying that was his wish. Similarly, Rex raving about McDougal...

So many wrs that year... I wanted Branding Cooks so bad...

2 hours ago, ryu79 said:

Could have sworn Idzik picked Pryor and recall Rex saying that was his wish. Similarly, Rex raving about McDougal...

So many wrs that year... I wanted Branding Cooks so bad...

You are correct, Idzik picked Pryor and McDougal.  Tannenbaum  was responsible for the offensive dismantling in 2012 and 2013, and Rex had a hand in that. 

After idzik arrived he said multiple times before and after the draft  that he was picking and Rex coaching.  

Archived