10 NFL coaching jobs could open. The Jets are the 6th best opportunity per ESPN

jetstream23

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:18 AM, sec101row23 said:

That’s pretty accurate.  

It's not even close to accurate.  It's typical espn garbage.  The Jets are the second best opening behind Cleveland, the only other opening that is close is GB and that's solely b/c of Rodgers but Rodgers gets hurt a lot, takes up a huge portion of the cap and is nearing the end of his career.  it's a better job for 2019 but beyond that probably not.  No other job is close to the Jets job right now.

12 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

It's not even close to accurate.  It's typical espn garbage.  The Jets are the second best opening behind Cleveland, the only other opening that is close is GB and that's solely b/c of Rodgers but Rodgers gets hurt a lot, takes up a huge portion of the cap and is nearing the end of his career.  it's a better job for 2019 but beyond that probably not.  No other job is close to the Jets job right now.

Tampa has talent everywhere on offense and it sounds like they're getting Arians.

• Sympathy 1

21 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Tampa has talent everywhere on offense and it sounds like they're getting Arians.

Jackson wants out, Winston only seems to do well when seasons are over, they are in the toughest division in the league, they don't have great RBs.  It's basically Evans, Howard and a little bit of Godwin going forward.  Not to mention if Arians is HC they will likely have Bowles as DC.

• Haha 1

On 11/15/2018 at 12:02 PM, HawkeyeJet said:

One thing I think that might be beneficial for them Jets(especially to an offensive coach) is that the D is largely set and can be competitive.

While the offensive talent is an issue, to an offensive coach, that may not be the negative some think.  The coach could basically view it as a blank canvas and an opportunity to fill the offense with players tailored specifically to his style/scheme.

What this D lacked more than anything this season was composure.  Particularly the secondary. Sure TJ stunk to the high heavens and that hurt.    Skrine is an abomination.  But they needed consistent coaching, a plan, and the promise of punishment (removal) for repeat mistakes.  They pretty consistently played 3 quarters of good defense.  The fourth quarter was Pumpkin Time.  It is a mental, more than physical thing.  I think beieving in your coaching has a lot to d o with composure

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
On 1/6/2019 at 3:33 PM, Matt39 said:

On 1/7/2019 at 1:09 PM, nyjunc said:

Jackson wants out, Winston only seems to do well when seasons are over, they are in the toughest division in the league, they don't have great RBs.  It's basically Evans, Howard and a little bit of Godwin going forward.  Not to mention if Arians is HC they will likely have Bowles as DC.

This exchange made me chuckle

• Haha 1

On 11/15/2018 at 12:24 PM, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't consider McCarthy a desirable candidate tbh.

On 11/15/2018 at 3:04 PM, UntouchableCrew said:

His resume basically consists of underwhelming and disappointing with the greatest quarterback talent of all time. The Packers have largely wasted Aaron Rodgers prime on his watch. When Rodgers gets injured they're hopeless. I think he sucks.

On 11/15/2018 at 3:22 PM, FidelioJet said:

He's had arguably the best QB in this generation and won once.  The Packers have incredibly underperformed.

i wouldn't want anything to do with McCarthy.

On 11/15/2018 at 5:02 PM, UntouchableCrew said:

Mike McCarthy sucks. Rodgers literally calls him out in press conferences for having poor gameplans. If we pass up some young innovator who is turning heads for the guy who has wasted Rodgers prime I'll lose my mind.

On 11/16/2018 at 12:13 PM, Creepy Lurker said:

I really don’t like this guy. To squander Aaron F*cking Rodgers and field an atrocious defense consistently, is insanity. I’d rather take a chance on an unknown than a guy who has the Golden goose and can only turn things to sh*t.

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

In the three seasons before he was fired McCarthy went 23-24-1 with the Packers.

Under Mike LaFleur the Packers are 34-8.

Cowboys are 13-12 under McCarthy. I'd pump the breals on annoting him, considering "the Clapper" Jason Garret has 12 and 13 win seasons in Dallas and the greatest strength of the team remains Kellen Moore calling plays for Dak Prescott.

43 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

In the three seasons before he was fired McCarthy went 23-24-1 with the Packers.

Under Mike LaFleur the Packers are 34-8.

Cowboys are 13-12 under McCarthy. I'd pump the breals on annoting him, considering "the Clapper" Jason Garret has 12 and 13 win seasons in Dallas and the greatest strength of the team remains Kellen Moore calling plays for Dak Prescott.

Now tell me Mike Lafleur's record in the playoffs, and tell me how you liked him kicking the field goal on the Bucs  8 yard line down one score only to give the ball back to the GOAT who iced the game  kneeling as time expired. 

1 minute ago, playtowinthegame said:

Now tell me Mike Lafleur's record in the playoffs, and tell me how you liked him kicking the field goal on the Bucs  8 yard line down one score only to give the ball back to the GOAT who iced the game  kneeling as time expired. 

His record is 2-2 in the playoffs, which means 2 NFC Title Game appearances given they went 13-3 and had two byes. Not really sure how this is a knock.

And I'm not sure "situational football" is the winning argument to make in favor of McCarthy.

5 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

His record is 2-2 in the playoffs, which means 2 NFC Title Game appearances given they went 13-3 and had two byes. Not really sure how this is a knock.

And I'm not sure "situational football" is the winning argument to make in favor of McCarthy.

I laughed when I saw him kick that field goal, because he was brought there to go for it in that situation. I think he's overrated as a coach and he'll continue to flame out after two games in the playoffs. They'll get at least 1 home game in the playoffs again in 2021 feasting on the weak competition in the NFC North - Lions, Vikings, and Bears. 

20 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I laughed when I saw him kick that field goal, because he was brought there to go for it in that situation. I think he's overrated as a coach and he'll continue to flame out after two games in the playoffs. They'll get at least 1 home game in the playoffs again in 2021 feasting on the weak competition in the NFC North - Lions, Vikings, and Bears. 

I mean, I'm not obsessed with LaFleur but the obvious, dramatic improvement of the Packers once he replaced McCarthy is the point here. He was brought up less to imply he was the greatest coach (I think a lot of guys can win with Rodgers) but to emphasize how unimpressive the latter years of McCarthy's run were.