BREAKING NEWS.....BOB SUTTON NAMED JET'S DC.

WW85

Kind of surprised. But Sutton will let Mangini do his thing on defense which in this case is a good thing. Former head coach, so that helps as well.

I am a little surprised Marcin made the cut, the DL performed so poorly last season. But he is a good coach.

This is good news because on the defensive side of the ball they will only have one new coach (LB). New schemes but the changes should be helped by less turnover.

Keep Westhoff and get a new O.C. Can't think of many offensive assistants that will even survive.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/jets/61821.htm

January 19, 2006 -- The staffing procedure for Eric Mangini's new-face Jets began yesterday with the new head coach interviewing members of the current staff and hiring Bob Sutton as his defensive coordinator, according to multiple team sources.

Mangini, according to the sources, is also retaining defensive line coach Denny Marcin, defensive backs coach Corwin Brown and strength and conditioning coach Markus Paul.

That might not be all of the former Herman Edwards assistants who'll be retained. Mangini, who worked his way around Weeb Ewbank Hall interviewing the existing assistant coaches, isn't yet finished meeting with everyone.

It's believed Mangini began with the defensive side of the ball, interviewing special teams coach Mike Westhoff, who might yet stay.

Mangini then started on the offensive coaches, but he didn't complete the interviews as evening approached. It's uncertain whether he got to offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger, offensive line coach Doug Marrone or receivers coach Pep Hamilton. If not, they'll be interviewed today.

The hiring of Sutton was a mild surprise in that Sutton, who has been the linebackers coach here since Al Groh and Bill Parcells brought him aboard in 2000, is such a quiet figure.

But he's an accomplished coach, having been a head coach at Army.

Click here

Defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson wasn't in the building at all, according to sources. He's believed to be in Green Bay, where he'll interview for the defensive coordinator post there. There is no chance of him staying anyway.

Westhoff, reached last night, said no decision was made on his future yet. He has one year remaining on his contract.

"We met and talked and it was very fair," he said. "Eric doesn't know me; he knows of me. There were some good things that came out, some good positive things. I don't think they're anxious for me to leave.

"So far, it was a very fair discussion. We had very frank discussions. I was very honest."

Keeping Westhoff, who has one year remaining on his current contract, makes a lot of sense for Mangini.

The Jets' special teams success has been well-documented. If Mangini doesn't retain Westhoff, Edwards is surely waiting to pounce on him whenever he's freed from his contract.

"Whatever people decide I respect and I'll move forward," Westhoff said. "The Jets have been extremely fair to me over the years. If I stay here, I want them to want me to be here under the same kind of role I've had, where I helped out in some personnel and was very involved in penalties and rules."

He expects to speak with Mangini again today, saying, "I want to get going ... very shortly here."

One heavily speculated name to be Mangini's offensive coordinator is Mike Sheppard, most recently with the Saints. Sheppard worked with Mangini both in Cleveland and Baltimore.

"I haven't heard anything yet," Sheppard said last night.

"I know he's had a lot of good coaches come through there with him and I'm sure he's got some guys he's talking to.

"This is the fourth call I've gotten today and none of them has been from him. He's probably got his list together of how he's going to proceed through things."

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

Good move keeping Marcin (I always thought he was a good coach and the problems last year on the DLine was more players underperforming rather then defensive schemes) and Corwin Brown.

You got that right. Mancim was very well regarded in his previous DL job. Ellis and D.Rob had bad years, and no one picked up the slack at DT. Mancin deserves another chance, and he will do fine, if guys get in shape.

Sutton got Army into a bowl game or 2 and beat Syracuse. Never understood why he didn't become a hot prospect off that himself and didn't even know he was no staff of the Jets for the longest time. Been here all through Parcells, Goh and Edwards. May be he has family considerations and he didn't want a top job until now. A quality move.

Good move keeping Marcin (I always thought he was a good coach and the problems last year on the DLine was more players underperforming rather then defensive schemes) and Corwin Brown.

I agree with Tex here.The past few years our defensive team leaders came from the D-line Josh Evans and in '04 Shawn Ellis-I think he kinda said F-it this year and decided to take the rest of the year off when he saw what Edwards was doing to the team.If you work at a job where people are always eating donuts and calling their wife-you can get that way too-I think that's what happened here last year.

I think he kinda said F-it this year and decided to take the rest of the year off when he saw what Edwards was doing to the team.If you work at a job where people are always eating donuts and calling their wife-you can get that way too-I think that's what happened here last year.

How did you know that GOB got yelled at for this?

But he is bringing things down here. None of the other mods can even get a second of time on the JN phone in the emplyee break room.

corwin brown has a lot to prove, the secondary was not good last season. coleman got worse not better, miller had terrible technique constantly getting spun around. at least some of that has to be attributed to coaching.

corwin brown has a lot to prove, the secondary was not good last season. coleman got worse not better, miller had terrible technique constantly getting spun around. at least some of that has to be attributed to coaching.

Strange how that happens when that is allegedly your HC's area of "expertise" cough, cough. I'm sure that Mangini will give Brown lots of help/advice this year.

Strange how that happens when that is allegedly your HC's area of "expertise" cough, cough. I'm sure that Mangini will give Brown lots of help/advice this year.

Mangini will have his nose heavily involved in the defense, particularly the secondary.

Just a hunch, but watch Justin Miller's improvement next season as a CB. A lot of his problems this year were techique (getting turned around, poor cross-over steps, etc.) and they can be easily corrected with good coaching.

I don't really know much about Sutton, so I can't really say anything definitively. This is not an exciting hire, but I trust that Mangini knows what he's doing.

How much experience does Sutton have in running the 3-4? Does this mean the Jets are going to stay a 4-3 team and mix it up? The impression I got from Mangini was that the team would play whichever defensive front that attacked their opponents' weakness, be it 3-4, 4-3, 46, or 1-10. It's good to see Mangini put his stamp on the team and act fast in regards to the staff. Also, adios, Donnie, thanks for nothing.

How much experience does Sutton have in running the 3-4? Does this mean the Jets are going to stay a 4-3 team and mix it up? The impression I got from Mangini was that the team would play whichever defensive front that attacked their opponents' weakness, be it 3-4, 4-3, 46, or 1-10. It's good to see Mangini put his stamp on the team and act fast in regards to the staff. Also, adios, Donnie, thanks for nothing.

The Jets just do not have the right personnel to implement the 3-4 as their base defense. They need additional LB's who can play in situational downs and they need a big fat load on the nose to clog the middle.

Mangini would be crazy to make a switch to the 3-4 without the right people in place.

However, for certain situations (but not a a base defense), I can see Mangini going 3-4, especially to apply pressure in obvious passing situations.

The Jets just do not have the right personnel to implement the 3-4 as their base defense. They need additional LB's who can play in situational downs and they need a big fat load on the nose to clog the middle.

Mangini would be crazy to make a swith to the 3-4 without the right people in place.

However, for certain situations (but not a a base defense), I can see Mangini going 3-4, especially to apply pressure in obvious passing situations.

I know the Jets don't have the personel to primarily use the 3-4. DFat isn't fat enough. :wink:

I viewed it as good that we hired Sutton, rather than someone like Rob Ryan, because it likely means that a switch to the 3-4 isn't on the horizon. It also means that we won't waste the 4th pick in the draft on Andy Katzenmoyer!

Troll, get some new material.

That's at least the 3rd time you used that recycled garbage. :wink:

It's a small list of over-rated, white, Ohio State first-round bust linebackers.

Be glad there are no Asian guards from Virginia Tech projected to go top five.

Hawk does scream KATZENMOYER, doesn't he?

Get a big ugly LT like D'Brick, or trade down and get more. Taking Hawk at 4 is crazy talk. Plus we'd have to look at Brady Quinn's attention-starved sister for the next season or 2 until they cut his sorry hiney and he's back on the street like Katzenmoyer.

Archived