Re-ranking the 2018 QBs

TuscanyTile2

Mayfield, then Darnold

Third place is a toss up between Allen and Jackson, since they both got by with their running ability but that's not viable long term unless they develop some semblance of accurate passing, minimum Cam level

Rosen looks like a bust

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Mayfield: Best overall quarterback-talent of the bunch. It wasnt close in college and it seems not to be close in the pros. 

Jackson: In a great situation with a great coach who knows how to use him. It's not the conventional way to play, but it's about wins. He has the best D in the league and he runs the option very well. 

Darnold: It's hard to fairly grade a guy who's shown traits and flashes but is on the NY Jets, which means no talent and no quality coaching.

Allen: Big armed TE. One of the things that you either have or dont have by the time you get to this level is accuracy. Allen on a good day will look like a phenomenon. In a 16 week season, inconsistent and inaccurate. 

Rosen: Statue. His team is as bad as the Jets but he's not shown to be as good as Darnold. I was never a believer in Rosen's game. Mechanics?....that works during draft talk. No one cares about that in the league for as long as you can make the plays. Rosen hasnt made as many plays as Darnold and Darnold is in a similar situation and has to play the Pats twice. 

This is what PFF had to say about Darnold, Jackson, and Mayfield, after today's games:

"Despite a handful of impressive flashes from Sam Darnold, it’s clear the rookie quarterback has a long way to go before competing with the upper echelon at the position. No surprise, given he’s a rookie, but coaching is going to be really important going forward. His pocket presence and footwork remain glaring issues. Darnold doesn’t feel pressure particularly well, and he often scrambled into pressure against the Patriots. "

"Lamar Jackson continues to be deadly with his legs, but his ball security issues almost cost them. His fumble at the goalline and errant pitch late in the game almost decided this one."

"It was an up-and-down day at the office for Baker Mayfield. He alternated gorgeous throws down the field with some easy misses. Most egregiously, Mayfield’s out route behind Jarvis Landry on the last drive could have put them into field goal range."

"What Baker did against one of the league’s best defenses was incredibly impressive. It was more than enough for the win if his defense could have held up their end of the bargain."

16 minutes ago, DetDawg said:

Whats sad about that egregious miss to Landry? Is that I havent heard anyone mention one time that 93 yard TD pass to a wide open Landry that he dropped off his facemask. 

Articles will mention this out pass, which they should...it was indeed a miss AND was followed up by a INT. But wont be written about was a go-ahead 93 yard TD that Landry dropped earlier in the game with no one around him. 

Having that TD would have the Browns in the lead. 

Neither Jackson nor Allen have won a game this year with their arm. Allen is basically a more inaccurate Cam Newton. There's a reason why Cam is breaking down at the age of 29. Playing like that is not sustainable. And over time he has tried to rely less on running but without his running ability he'd be an average QB. Allen has less talent as a thrower so he'll have to rely on his running even more. Forget highlights, go watch every Allen throw from this season and you'll be asking yourself how he got drafted before the 3rd round after you're done.

The Baltimore offense reminds me of when the Dolphins brought back the wildcat. It was successful for a couple of years and then flamed out. How will Jackson react when he's forced to win games with his arm. Take today for example. 3rd and 5 with just over 2 minutes left and a chance to put the game away and they run an option. That almost cost them their season. If the Ravens defense falters at all they're in big trouble.

Mayfield and Allen clearly have shown the most as actual QB's as far as reading defenses and making big time throws. Jackson and Allen are the best RB's playing QB. Rosen looks completely lost.

Mayfield, Darnold look legit, then everyone else. Jackson, Allen, Rosen, none have established bona fides.

darnold and Rosen have the worst teams / weapons tho. U have to factor that in. 

Browns are actually stacked at skill and in different phases. Bills have legit defense and RB. Baltimore is a playoff team with plus factors everywhere. The Jets and Cards are dumpster fires.

20 minutes ago, Vader said:

Mayfield, Darnold look legit, then everyone else. Jackson, Allen, Rosen, none have established bona fides.

darnold and Rosen have the worst teams / weapons tho. U have to factor that in. 

Browns are actually stacked at skill and in different phases. Bills have legit defense and RB. Baltimore is a playoff team with plus factors everywhere. The Jets and Cards are dumpster fires.

That's a fair analysis.

I really don't know how to evaluate the running QBs.  They all can make an offense work, at least for a while.  I don't know whether it can work over the long term, particularly given their heightened injury risk.

It's interesting how perspective affects opinions.  On the Browns' board, many feel the Browns need to draft a #1 WR with their #1 pick, or give up a 1st and 3rd in a trade with with the Giants for Odell Beckham.

Lamar Jackson had some nice throws today. People need to wake up to the fact that he is a better passer than Josh Allen. He completed over 58% of his passes and threw only 3 interceptions, and did have 6 TD passes. His running is extraordinary, but he's got a great arm and is far more accurate than people give him credit for. He just needs the game to slow down for him a bit. 

8 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Whats sad about that egregious miss to Landry? Is that I havent heard anyone mention one time that 93 yard TD pass to a wide open Landry that he dropped off his facemask. 

Articles will mention this out pass, which they should...it was indeed a miss AND was followed up by a INT. But wont be written about was a go-ahead 93 yard TD that Landry dropped earlier in the game with no one around him. 

Having that TD would have the Browns in the lead. 

Every QB has that though. Darnold had a bunch of passes today that ultimately his receivers couldn’t hang onto including an absolute peach that that should’ve been about a 60 yard TD that Trenton Cannon missed completely.....doubt anyone is talking about that either

10 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Mayfield

Darnold

Allen

Rosen

Jackson

I would flip Jackson and Rosen at this point but the rest looks good. 

People need to remember this is after 1 year.  I think all are going to be good but this list may shuffle.  I'm just glad we got one of them and I hope we'll be talking Baker vs. Sam for the next 15 years as they battle for AFC supremacy.

4 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Every QB has that though. Darnold had a bunch of passes today that ultimately his receivers couldn’t hang onto including an absolute peach that that should’ve been about a 60 yard TD that Trenton Cannon missed completely.....doubt anyone is talking about that either

This is true, just like every qb has had int's. 

My point is the selectiveness of the narrative. 

16 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

This is true, just like every qb has had int's. 

My point is the selectiveness of the narrative. 

Unfortunately there are too many people caught up in selective narratives. Someone is either the GOAT or sucks. Seems so few can have a grown up deiscussion about the pro’s and cons of anything. Whether that be QB’s, coaching, GM’S or ownership. It’s frustrating as hell when you come to this site looking for enlightenment. 

FWIW I loved Mayfield coming out, didn’t want Darnold at all. I was all set for Broadway Baker and was actually quite gutted when it broke that Dorsey was serious about picking Mayfield No 1, that said Darnold has done nothing but win me over in every way since we picked him. I love the fire and cockiness of Baker but equally I can see that being his downfall somewhere down the line. I love the Cali calm and cool of Sam but would love to see him grow a bit of Mayfield’s fire and cockiness over time. Bottom line is I think we got one of the two clear-cut best QB’S in the draft(and by that I mean going forward, no disrespect to what Lamar Jackson is doing NOW in Baltimore but if we;re talking the next decade....) Picking one over the other at this point is nonsensical, different players, different situations, different ages, different characters, different everything bar both are of the most exciting young prospects in the league at their position.

the big difference is that Sam plays for my team, no hate for Mayfield at all, but I hope he fails, if only be cause he’s not my QB

The fact that there's so much debate about #2-4 tells you this is an interesting QB class.

The most interesting thing about these QBs is that the ones I've watched the most (Darnold, Mayfield, Allen) all seem to look like they did in college. Mayfield is running around slinging accurate passes. Darnold is running around dropping buckets and making plays. Allen is inconsistent but has shown what he can do. 

Who cares about the ranking? Look at the NFL. There are a ton of young, promising QBs out there, some are in the playoffs. One might even win the Super Bowl this year. I'm excited as hell!

Archived