If Jets sign Le'Veon Bell would they trade for Antonio Brown?

playtowinthegame

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Signing “A” free agents won’t either, and are more likely to do more harm than good. Unless it’s someone like Anthony Barr (young and really good), I’m not interested.

Are you suggesting players they truly impact the game are bad for a football team? But average to slightly above average are the way you build a team?
It certainly sounds like that, now you have every right to your opinion, but if that case we are so diametrically opposed it’s likely pointless to discuss this any further.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

There are guys available this is who they should be targeting and overspending on:

Offense-

Paradis

Trent Brown

Tate

Davonte Parker

Defense-

Sheldon (then trade Leo)

Jadeveon Clowney

Pierre Desir

Bradley Roby

Not inspiring.  I’m generally all for signing mid tier guys and building through the draft.  

But I have a couple issues with that right now.

Sam needs help now.  Can’t make him try to do it all on his own again.  He needs help to take the next step.  We can’t rely on the draft and hope it works out.  Especially not with the draft history of the jets.

There is a window to win now while Sam is on his cheap rookie deal.  Have to spend the money to get the weapons needed to win now.  Once Sam is no longer on the rookie deal, and you no longer have the resources to spend, you hope he has progressed enough that he no longer needs those special players, but right now, he needs them.  

Are you suggesting players they truly impact the game are bad for a football team? But average to slightly above average are the way you build a team?It certainly sounds like that, now you have every right to your opinion, but if that case we are so diametrically opposed it’s likely pointless to discuss this any further.

No. I’m saying that “A” free agents tend to either be 1) Getting old, 2) Too expensive (yes, even for a team with tons of cap space), 3) overrated (IE there’s a reason teams are letting them go), or 4) carry a lot of baggage. Or several of the above at the same time. 

If we’re going after “A” free agents I want them to be younger (like 26 yr old Anthony Barr) and come with as little baggage as possible.

We’re not a contending team, so there’s no reason to bring in a ton of big name mercenaries who aren’t likely to buy into the team concept at all. It’s better to go after the “B” guys who have a better chance of actually wanting to be here.

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No. I’m saying that “A” free agents tend to either be 1) Getting old, 2) Too expensive (yes, even for a team with tons of cap space), 3) overrated (IE there’s a reason teams are letting them go), or 4) carry a lot of baggage. Or several of the above at the same time. 

If we’re going after “A” free agents I want them to be younger (like 26 yr old Anthony Barr) and come with as little baggage as possible.

We’re not a contending team, so there’s no reason to bring in a ton of big name mercenaries who aren’t likely to buy into the team concept at all. It’s better to go after the “B” guys who have a better chance of actually wanting to be here.

Bell is 26 and teams turn around very quickly with some talent and a QB.  Look at the Rams.

Bell is 26 and teams turn around very quickly with some talent and a QB.  Look at the Rams.

Again, as EY pointed out, the Rams already had an established, homegrown core before they went on a spending spree. Goff, Gurley, Donald, Brockers, Saffold, Cooper Kupp, etc.

And as a reminder, that group won their division in 2017 before the spending spree. The

That’s much different than the Jets, who have gone 14-34 over the last 3 seasons. We’re not “turning it around” with one giant free agency spending spree. We’ll maybe go 8-8 and a year later end up like the Giants and their bevy of malcontents.

It seems to me that Antonio Brown was so disliked in the locker room that his teammates got together and agreed to vote for Ju-Ju as MVP, knowing that it would crush Brown. 

I think Ju-Ju is a great teammate and well respected in the locker room, and that his teammates wanted to reward him for going about his business the right way, while also using the award to send a message to Brown.

Two birds, one stone.

Let's say the Jets hire Mike McCarthy, and afterwards sign Le'Veon Bell to a deal similar to Todd Gurley. Do you think acquiring Le'Veon Bell would make the Jets favorites to trade for Bell's close friend Antonio Brown? Darnold is on his rookie deal, and Jets could easily absorb both Bell and Brown. Could the Jets pry Antonio Brown away by trading down from their 3rd overall pick all the way down to the Steelers 20th overall pick and also get back the Steelers 52nd overall pick? I'm not sure what it would take or if the Steelers would want a deal like that. Both Brown and Bell together would be a very big cap hit. Would you go for both Bell and Brown?
Hell no....

I like Bell's skillset but I'm not even 100% sure i want him and his diva attitude. I def dont want Brown no matter how many balls he catches. Look at his history of behavior. We are looking to be a respectable team, winning non circus attitude. Nah, we can win without him. If the qb is good enough someone will have those number anyway.

Hard pass

Sent from my SM-N950U using JetNation.com mobile app

Bell would be a huge addition to the offense.  He would help Sam more than any other player.

AB?  The last thing I want to do is risk putting a me first, diva WR into the lockerroom and risk another of his hissy fits destroying another team.  As the SNY post game group said, he'll be on his best behavior ONE year and then the diva will come back, they always do.

And if we hire a first time NFL HC the risk is even greater, he has enough to learn and deal with, doesnt need a diva added iin

41 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

How about we see how far they go before we start thinking their plan is a successful one.

NFC West Champs

13-3 record

2nd ranked offense in points (527) and yards.

2 seed in NFC.

Yes it is a successful plan, especially when you consider the dumpster fire they were in Goff's rookie year. 

You're a Jets fan, so answer the following questions.

1.) When is the last time the Jets won 13 games in a season?

2.) When is the last time the Jets hosted a home game in the divisional round?

3.) When is the last time the Jets had an offense score over 500 points? 

Answers

1.) Never

2.) January 10, 1999 against the Jaguars. In roughly  6 days and 13 hours from now that will be 20 years ago. 

3.) Never

Now ask yourself this, would you consider it a success if the Jets won 13 games, scored over 500 points on offense, and hosted a divisional playoff game after an off-season that brought in Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell along with McCarthy drawing up the plays to get the most out of Darnold?

NFC West Champs
13-3 record
2nd ranked offense in points (527) and yards.
2 seed in NFC.
Yes it is a successful plan, especially when you consider the dumpster fire they were in Goff's rookie year. 
You're a Jets fan, so answer the following questions.
1.) When is the last time the Jets won 13 games in a season?
2.) When is the last time the Jets hosted a home game in the divisional round?
3.) When is the last time the Jets had an offense score over 500 points? 

Answers
1.) Never
2.) January 10, 1999 against the Jaguars. In roughly  6 days and 13 hours from now that will be 20 years ago. 
3.) Never

Now ask yourself this, would you consider it a success if the Jets won 13 games, scored over 500 points on offense, and hosted a divisional playoff game after an off-season that brought in Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell along with McCarthy drawing up the plays to get the most out of Darnold?
How many years of success has this been? Is it sustained? Did they win a ring yet? Get back to me when they are officially more than a flash in the pan.

39 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

How many years of success has this been? Is it sustained? Did they win a ring yet? Get back to me when they are officially more than a flash in the pan.

The confidence Goff has built in 2018 will give the Rams at least a decade of return on investment. This off-season is all about building up the offense around Darnold. Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown are arguably the best at their respective positions, and both can be had in the same off-season. That's Crazy Eddie INSANE! I believe it's unprecedented. The stars are aligned for the Jets this off-season. They already have their franchise quarterback entering the 2nd year of his rookie contract, they have 106,035,475 in cap space (2nd most), and arguably the best running back and best wide receiver in the NFL shaking loose with a Super Bowl winning coach (Mike McCarthy) coming in to lead them. Carpe Diem!

The confidence Goff has built in 2018 will give the Rams at least a decade of return on investment. This off-season is all about building up the offense around Darnold. Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown are arguably the best at their respective positions, and both can be had in the same off-season. That's Crazy Eddie INSANE! I believe it's unprecedented. The stars are aligned for the Jets this off-season. They already have their franchise quarterback entering the 2nd year of his rookie contract, they have 106,035,475 in cap space (2nd most), and arguably the best running back and best wide receiver in the NFL shaking loose with a Super Bowl winning coach (Mike McCarthy) coming in to lead them. Carpe Diem!
Still dont want or need brown to be successfull.

AB and Bell are definitely NFL divas. And whether they bring there baggage with them wherever they go is an unknown. Mike Tomlin is a serious dude that may have caused some conflict with these guys. I look at it as a similar situation with Gruden with Mack and Cooper. They moved on and excelled. I’m kinda torn as to what the risks and benefits are with these guys. Big money for these guys but gives the Jets an elite RB and WR. Our Offence would be loaded with these 2 guys.

12 hours ago, Butterfield said:

Not inspiring.  I’m generally all for signing mid tier guys and building through the draft.  

But I have a couple issues with that right now.

Sam needs help now.  Can’t make him try to do it all on his own again.  He needs help to take the next step.  We can’t rely on the draft and hope it works out.  Especially not with the draft history of the jets.

There is a window to win now while Sam is on his cheap rookie deal.  Have to spend the money to get the weapons needed to win now.  Once Sam is no longer on the rookie deal, and you no longer have the resources to spend, you hope he has progressed enough that he no longer needs those special players, but right now, he needs them.  

Make those signings and hire a decent head coach Sam gets us to 10-6 next year

Archived