Today's the day.. Mike McCarthy

SheaRay

20 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Jets didn't come up with the cash....after all the big talk "Big Game Hunting" they had the guy they wanted but didn't want to pay the price.

This is all speculation of course - but just feels, to me, like that's what happened.

One of the VERY few times we disagree. I don't think it came down to the $$. I feel McCarthy was only luke warm about moving to NY, especially coming from a small market team in GB. If going into the interview you're not excited I think your mind's already made up.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Its interesting to me that the narrative by many posters here is that Rodgers and the Packers were successful because of McCarthy.

Reality: McCarthy rode the coattails of two HOF QBs both arguably in Top 10 ever.

I believe that any of the other candidates we are looking at would be more succesful than McCarthy coaching the same GB team with Rodgers at the helm.

Rodgers flaws have covered McCarhy's weaknesses for a very long time.

But you guys don't care. You just want a retread at all costs, and are clinging to possibly the best one, though not convinced at all that McCarthy is actually better than Caldwell.

If a coach has one of the Top 3 QBs in the NFL and play in a really weak division they are going to have an impressive looking W-L record.

Seems every year I have to root for the Jets to not shoot themselves in the foor: dont extend Bowles, dont resign Fitz, dont resign Mo, don't sign Cousins the complier. I was right on all of those, and this year it is don't sign fools gold of McCarthy.

Hate to play devil’s advocate here since so many are all abuzz about McCarthy signing on but after researching his history as HC of the Pack, there’s some alarming trends that are hard to ignore despite all his success. While McCarthy has won year in year out, he’s also lost conference titles year in and year out. Only once did he go to the SB in all his years as GB HC. Losing close games seems to be his downfall. That’s really telling. And as JonnyD pointed out, that’s with 2 of the best ever QB’s in NFL history. And who can forget that mind boggling playoff loss to the Seahawks.  I’d rather go with a young offensive innovator and hopefully we strike gold like the Rams did with McVay. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

No disrespect Thai Jet but if news media outlets are silent in NY I fond it hard to believe this coming out of Arizona. 

it's called broken telephone.  Remember that game as a kid?  The narrative of why McCarthy left the Jets without signing a contract will change day by day, hour by hour and minute by minute.  There is no report of an offer yet.  Just that he left and may take the year off.  Yet he still has Cleveland on his schedule.  But somehiw it has morphed into "he turned down the Jets offer". 

I'd want to meet with both teams before deciding.  There is no shame for the Jets in that IMO.  But the world sees it that way. 

14 minutes ago, Dcat said:

it's called broken telephone.  Remember that game as a kid?  The narrative of why McCarthy left the Jets without signing a contract will change day by day, hour by hour and minute by minute.  There is no report of an offer yet.  Just that he left and may take the year off.  Yet he still has Cleveland on his schedule.  But somehiw it has morphed into "he turned down the Jets offer". 

I'd want to meet with both teams before deciding.  There is no shame for the Jets in that IMO.  But the world sees it that way. 

16 minutes ago, Dcat said:

No not familiar with that game, before my time I am familiar with class it on similar game. 

I see this rumor being bitter Arizona fans because McCarthy shunned them.

3 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

One of the VERY few times we disagree. I don't think it came down to the $$. I feel McCarthy was only luke warm about moving to NY, especially coming from a small market team in GB. If going into the interview you're not excited I think your mind's already made up.

I do get what you're saying - one thing that made me think it was the money - and again, who knows what's true and what's not - but I read a report (somewhere on this site) that said McCarthy turned down the Jets offer. 

That just meant to me - the Jets actually made an official offer - that wouldn't happen if he was entirely unwilling to come here - and that money was the deciding factor.

I would say this though - if he really isn't comfortable being in a big market then I don't want him...

6 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

No not familiar with that game, before my time I am familiar with class it on similar game. 

I see this rumor being bitter Arizona fans because McCarthy shunned them.

I think that there might be some truth to this because my inference it implies that McCarthy views Darnold and Baker at a higher level of potential than he does Rosen.....

Yet this could be silly because this may or may not be the case. Arizona isn't NY/NJ and Cleveland may be further along team wise than anyone (but with a nutty owner),

So no one knows why McCarthy turned down Arizona... 

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I do get what you're saying - one thing that made me think it was the money - and again, who knows what's true and what's not - but I read a report (somewhere on this site) that said McCarthy turned down the Jets offer. 

That just meant to me - the Jets actually made an official offer - that wouldn't happen if he was entirely unwilling to come here - and that money was the deciding factor.

I would say this though - if he really isn't comfortable being in a big market then I don't want him...

Agreed and I don't want a HC who has to "warm" to the idea of coaching the Jets. I want somebody who's on fire for the opportunity to coach the Jets, like Rex was.

Archived