Today's the day.. Mike McCarthy

SheaRay

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Provided his QB is arguably the best QB of all time, sure he can win with that. Not sure who couldn't win with Aaron Rodgers.

Lol when I hear this it makes me laugh for several reasons...

1. The thought is that Aaron developed in spite of his coach.

2. If he can ONLY win with a prospect as good as Aaron is then you can only have a problem with it if you dont think Sam is as good a prospect coming out as Aaron was.

If you think Sam can be great too..... what's the problem?

Sent from my SM-N950U using JetNation.com mobile app

Everyone wants the next McVay.  No surprise.

I think lots of people make the mistake in thinking that McVay is a great coach because he understands offense.  Innovative.  While those things are true, the reason he's successful is much more than that.  It's been well documented how intelligent he is.  How good his memory is.  How well he can explain things to anyone so that they understand.  Those are the real reasons he's as good as he is.  The fact that he's a good play caller and designer also helps, but lots of people are good offensive minds.  Not all of them are good head coach candidates.

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I think lots of people make the mistake in thinking that McVay is a great coach because he understands offense.  Innovative.  While those things are true, the reason he's successful is much more than that.  It's been well documented how intelligent he is.  How good his memory is.  How well he can explain things to anyone so that they understand.  Those are the real reasons he's as good as he is.  The fact that he's a good play caller and designer also helps, but lots of people are good offensive minds.  Not all of them are good head coach candidates.

Guy spat out the entire play in detail that lost them a playoff match over a year ago.

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Provided his QB is arguably the best QB of all time, sure he can win with that. Not sure who couldn't win with Aaron Rodgers.

Maybe Aaron Rodgers can't win with Aaron Rodgers.  After he "Fired"  McCarthy,  the Packers went 2-2 the rest of the  season.  He should've gone 1-3, but the Jet's imploded and handed them the game.  Credit the "Bowles" effect.  Shut out in the finale at Lambeau Field.  Not impressive.

1 minute ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Maybe Aaron Rodgers can't win with Aaron Rodgers.  After he "Fired"  McCarthy,  the Packers went 2-2 the rest of the  season.  He should've gone 1-3, but the Jet's imploded and handed them the game.  Credit the "Bowles" effect.  Shut out in the finale at Lambeau Field.  Not impressive.

Joe philbin says hi

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The same Aaron Rodgers that has never beaten a team with a winning record when entering the 4th quarter trailing by more than 1? That Aaron Rodgers? The 0-35 guy?  .... Yeah any decent coach should win the SB every season with that guy 1 SB, 4 conference championship games, 6 division titles and 9 playoof appearances are a clear indication that the coach was at fault.

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

The Jets have completed their interview with former Packers coach Mike McCarthy, per the team. Three known interviews in the books. The others: Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy and former Dolphins coach Adam Gase. Upcoming: Dallas DBs coach Kris Richard, Baylor coach Matt Rhule and Bucs OC Todd Monken.

11 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

This is right. But also, Mcvay is yet to win the big one either. I love his style of play, but this playoff season will be important to forming his legacy.

I think the thing with McCarthy is that you either give him credit for developing Rodgers or you think Rodgers won in spite of him because he is a geezer style wise. After reading the article on his school and the accounts of Gannon and Hasselbach crediting their success to him I lean more to thinking there is probably more to him than is being credited. I think he will likely take umbrage to the image of himself as outdated and or someone that road Rodgers and look to refresh himself in his next stop as Reid has done in KC. 

I'd be up for trying that. But if not, am also curious about Rhule - though I worry what staff he'd be able to hire...

15 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

The Jets have completed their interview with former Packers coach Mike McCarthy, per the team. Three known interviews in the books. The others: Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy and former Dolphins coach Adam Gase. Upcoming: Dallas DBs coach Kris Richard, Baylor coach Matt Rhule and Bucs OC Todd Monken.

If that's the order of the interviews it would suggest monken is the front runner 

Glad I wasnt the only one that noticed that. Let's see what Aaron the great does next year.

The same Aaron Rodgers that has never beaten a team with a winning record when entering the 4th quarter trailing by more than 1? That Aaron Rodgers? The 0-35 guy?  .... Yeah any decent coach should win the SB every season with that guy 1 SB, 4 conference championship games, 6 division titles and 9 playoof appearances are a clear indication that the coach was at fault.
I love you @Sonnywerblin

No homo

This is right. But also, Mcvay is yet to win the big one either. I love his style of play, but this playoff season will be important to forming his legacy.
I think the thing with McCarthy is that you either give him credit for developing Rodgers or you think Rodgers won in spite of him because he is a geezer style wise. After reading the article on his school and the accounts of Gannon and Hasselbach crediting their success to him I lean more to thinking there is probably more to him than is being credited. I think he will likely take umbrage to the image of himself as outdated and or someone that road Rodgers and look to refresh himself in his next stop as Reid has done in KC. 
I'd be up for trying that. But if not, am also curious about Rhule - though I worry what staff he'd be able to hire...
Agreed....except about the Baylor coach.

No small time unproven rookies will touch my Sammy.

37 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Imo McCarthy should be all in with coaching the Jets. He gets a stud young "yes sir" QB, the owners ear, and a GM eager to please him.

He won't get that in Cleveland, or anywhere else.

If its between Jets and Browns, he has already coached a douche so why would he want another one??

27 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Lol when I hear this it makes me laugh for several reasons...

1. The thought is that Aaron developed in spite of his coach.

2. If he can ONLY win with a prospect as good as Aaron is then you can only have a problem with it if you dont think Sam is as good a prospect coming out as Aaron was.

If you think Sam can be great too..... what's the problem?

For me, the problem is that Green Bay should have been much more dominant. More potent offense considering the weapons.  The way it ended between the coach and QB was real ugly. And the fear that the present day NFL has passed McCarthy by. 

19 hours ago, Copernicus said:
For me, the problem is that Green Bay should have been much more dominant. More potent offense considering the weapons.  The way it ended between the coach and QB was real ugly. And the fear that the present day NFL has passed McCarthy by. 

Hmmm..... maybe but most of this narrative is driven by Aaron "I also hate my family, it's all the coaches fault" Rogers.

We will see next season. My money is on Aaron never sniffing another ring without MM.

10 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

It’s worth remembering that Rodgers was considered a risky prospect when the came out. From what I recall The big knock was that he was a product of the Jeff Tedford system at Cal and none of the QB’s from that system up until that point had amounted to much. He was a prospect with much work to do and obviously he fell to 26 (or whatever it was) for a reason. He was considered a top prospect that year along with Alex Smith but there were questions and doubts. Whether that helps form a view as to how good a job McCarthy did in ensuring he succeeded is worth considering. Would he have succeeded anyway? or is it a fair judgement to say that he landed in exactly the right situation and with exactly the right coach?

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

where did you get this from, I never said this, not even close to saying this. 

I said Manish is right, McCarthy becoming a successful HC after being an asst without any HC experience proves that an asst without HC exp can become a successful HC first time out.  

Get it?  Okey Dokey?

Except that's not what he is saying.  All of the coaches in the league were assistants with no experience at some point.  His point is that even an apparently mediocre assistant can become a successful head coach. (as evidenced by these cherry picked stats)

McCarthy was OC of 4-12 49ers team that ranked 30th in scoring & dead last in total yards before Packers hired him.
Missed playoffs 4 of 5 years as an OC.

This all to advance the narrative that Klingsbury or Rhule would be good candidates.  You know, the guys that he has written articles about this week.  He is trying the same campaign he ran when lobbying against Marrone.

He is a tool.

Much has been made of the disconnect between McCarthy and Rogers expecely this seaso. Just wondering how much of Rogers injury plays into this and the play calling. McCarthy sees Rogers as some what limited, Rogers I am Superman. Just my thought.

1 hour ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Joshua Robb

·
43m

NFL Network reporting former #packers HC Mike McCarthy has yet to leave the NY Jets building after interviewing for their vacant HC position. Apparently a source inside says McCarthy is warming to the idea of being the Jets HC

He's having a long chat with Darnold in the steam room.

Archived