Today's the day.. Mike McCarthy

SheaRay

43 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

Except that's not what he is saying.  All of the coaches in the league were assistants with no experience at some point.  His point is that even an apparently mediocre assistant can become a successful head coach. (as evidenced by these cherry picked stats)

McCarthy was OC of 4-12 49ers team that ranked 30th in scoring & dead last in total yards before Packers hired him.
Missed playoffs 4 of 5 years as an OC.

This all to advance the narrative that Klingsbury or Rhule would be good candidates.  You know, the guys that he has written articles about this week.  He is trying the same campaign he ran when lobbying against Marrone.

He is a tool.

That was exactly what I took it as what he was saying.  Maybe not as I look at it today.

Still not sure now but thought he was saying that not all the coaches in the league started and were successful right out of he gate.  The question about the Jets next hire has been about whether they want to go the asst route again ala Coslet, Herm, Carroll, Mangini, Rex & Bowles.  

Thats the way i took it and the way I responded.  We both coudnt have gotten it right or wrong, LOL  I get what youre saying though it might have taken awhile. 

One thing we can all agree on hes a tool.  A tool with an agenda

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Isn’t there some quasi NFL rule that prohibits teams from announcing coaching hires on game days? Seem to remember something like that kicking in in previous years. 

Not sure about that rule but sounds like your trying to tell us something?

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Do we want a Coach that needs to be "Warmed up" to us?

I'm supportive of McCarthy, and I understand media-talk, but this now-repeating phrase is......displeasing.

Yes I would eliminate anyone immediately anyone that has just warmed up. It is part of why I think all this is due dliigence on the Jets and posturing by McCarthy. Still think its Monken or Ruhle

Since I know as little about what's going on here as anyone else who's posted in this thread, here's my take. If McCarthy isn't hired Monday, he didn't/won't commit to the Jets until he talks with the Browns on Thursday. That then means if he does accept the Jets or Browns job, it probably won't be announced until a week from Monday. The NFL doesn't want teams announcing HC hires on Playoff weekends. This leaves all of next week for the Jets to finish up the rest of their interviews. If they haven't offered the job to anyone by Friday, that would probably mean McCarthy is their guy. 

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Do we want a Coach that needs to be "Warmed up" to us?

I'm supportive of McCarthy, and I understand media-talk, but this now-repeating phrase is......displeasing.

The second he agrees to interview he was warmed up. Don’t buy the media nonesense 

3 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

where are we seeing this?

This Post:  NFL Network reporting former #packers HC Mike McCarthy has yet to leave the NY Jets building after interviewing for their vacant HC position. Apparently a source inside says McCarthy is warming to the idea of being the Jets HC

22 minutes ago, nico002 said:

The second he agrees to interview he was warmed up. Don’t buy the media nonesense 

This became a 15 page thread because of a Garafolo "warming up" tweet. I think it's a little late to warn people not to buy into media nonsense, nico. They've already bit hook, line and sinker.

2 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Joshua Robb

·
43m

NFL Network reporting former #packers HC Mike McCarthy has yet to leave the NY Jets building after interviewing for their vacant HC position. Apparently a source inside says McCarthy is warming to the idea of being the Jets HC

I have to laugh at folks who say why should McCarthy have to "warm" to the job.

Well maybe just maybe he has been the coach of the Packers for over a decade and that is a big difference in history and temperament than the Jets.

Come on now.....

8 minutes ago, NYDreamer said:

This Post:  NFL Network reporting former #packers HC Mike McCarthy has yet to leave the NY Jets building after interviewing for their vacant HC position. Apparently a source inside says McCarthy is warming to the idea of being the Jets HC

need more on this.  Saw this and then saw "we've completed our interview" from the official NY Jets account...

8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Who do you want?

So the tweet about the Jets having competed the interview came out before the tweet about McCarthy not leaving the building yet?  Or was it the other way around? It's been tough to navigate through all of this. 

20 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Who do you want?

I'd be okay with McCarthy, but he just feels like the safe pick to me for some reason I can't shake. I'm a bit of a gambler, so I'd prefer a more high risk, possibly high reward guy like KK, Moncken, or Ruhle in that order.

22 minutes ago, NYDreamer said:

Okay, he's all warmed up.  Show him where to sign.

eyesopen.jpg

9 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Shockingly Manish is being really disingenuous here. McCarthy spent 5 years as the OC in New Orleans prior to his year in SF. Over those 5 years his offenses averaged 11th in points and 13th in yards. 4 of those years were with Aaron Brooks as the QB where he threw for 3,600 yds annually and 96 TD's and 61 int. The team was 42-38 in those 5 years. He had a successful run in NO before his 1 season in SF.  Which also was Alex Smith's rookie year. Smith, Tim Rattay and Ken Dorsey all started games for them that year throwing 8 td's and 19 int. That's not really a whose who of QB's.

26 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

negotiating tactic.  get smarter.

Think we had the Tuna who no longer wanted to coach, Bellichick who bailed via napkin and Al Groh who couldn't get out of NY fast enough for his "dream job", which led us to the track record of essentially first time prayers for HCs and we wonder why a SB winning HC isn't losing all his leverage in negotiations by saying he will take anything...

20 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I'd be okay with McCarthy, but he just feels like the safe pick for some reason I can't shake. I'm a bit of a gambler, so I'd prefer a more high risk, possibly high reward guy like KK, Moncken, or Ruhle in that order.

I didn't want McCarthy, I wanted Shanahan...but

What is wrong with the steady strong pick for HC?

People are semi delusional... 

The Jets have been a dysfunctional organization for over twenty years.  They need more than a HC, the Jets need someone who can come in here and stabilize the organization from top to bottom.

And quite frankly few college HCs or NFL assistants coaches can fill that bill, hence why Herm, Mangini, Rex and Bowles were DOOMED to failure until the organization knows precisely what they are doing.

Think on this McCarthy probably knows more about running an NFL team as an NFL HC than all of the other candidates combined!

Picking the sexy HC pick is precisely the type of thing that the Jets do repeatedly and end up failing again and again...

Enough!!!

Get the guy who wont embarrass the organization and give the fans something to really root for!!!

28 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

So the tweet about the Jets having competed the interview came out before the tweet about McCarthy not leaving the building yet?  Or was it the other way around? It's been tough to navigate through all of this. 

I’m sure they waited until after the interview and the extended stay to make the tweet. Not very sure though.

2 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

The Jets have been a dysfunctional organization for over twenty years.  They need more than a HC, the Jets need someone who can come in here and stabilize the organization from top to bottom.

And quite frankly few college HCs or NFL assistants coaches can fill that bill, hence why Herm, Mangini, Rex and Bowles were DOOMED to failure until the organization knows precisely what they are doing.

Think on this McCarthy probably knows more about running an NFL team as an NFL HC than all of the other candidates combined!

Picking the sexy HC pick is precisely the type of thing that the Jets do repeatedly and end up failing again and again...

Enough!!!

Get the guy who wont embarrass the organization and give the fans something to really rot for!!!

Lol

57 minutes ago, NYDreamer said:

Must be a Dunkin’ Donuts van parked outside Jets 1 Drive. That would explain everything. 

0DFCD2DA-1F04-466F-9C8B-4919DE5E2D0B.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Enough!!!

Get the guy who wont embarrass the organization and give the fans something to really root for!!!

A lot of people here are really high on McCarthy, and I'm not one of the guys who are going to knock his record, or his ability to bring order to the Jets franchise. My concern, and I just can't shake it, is he isn't going to change his ways after all these years. I don't think his offense would've been near as dynamic without gunslingers like Favre or Rodgers going rogue on occasion when things broke down.. I see him turning us into a 8-9 win team at best, and just think there would be a lot of frustration with him and his coaching style as time goes on. Hell, this is nothing but a feeling I have, and isn't based on anything but that feeling. I don't think it matters in the end, because I think he's preferred the Cleveland job all along. I know I would.

21 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Enough!!!

Right on Charlie Brown! Now let’s go get a pumpkin snack. 

21 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Enough!!!

Decent post right there.

30 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Enough!!!

settle for mediocrity...slogan of many a Jets fan

9 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

A lot of people here are really high on McCarthy, and I'm not one of the guys who are going to knock his record, or his ability to bring order to the Jets franchise. My concern, and I just can't shake it, is he isn't going to change his ways after all these years. I don't think his offense would've been near as dynamic without gunslingers like Favre or Rodgers going rogue on occasion when things broke down.. I see him turning us into a 8-9 win team at best, and just think there would be a lot of frustration with him and his coaching style as time goes on. Hell, this is nothing but a feeling I have, and isn't based on anything but that feeling. I don't think it matters in the end, because I think he's preferred the Cleveland job all along. I know I would.

II agree with you!

Let me be clear I DID NOT want McCarthy, period and for all of these same reasons!!!

But....

You can't take a LOSING college coach over McCarthy because he will be the steadying force.  He may be boring but that beats being a loser and incompetent.

That is a far cry from if you knew that a young assistant is being held back as Paul Brown did with Bill Walsh then you go after that candidate with everything you have!! But I don't see that being said with any of these guys! 

Now who would I like outside McCarthy from the remaining reported candidates? 

Well I would say Rhule is the exception and I note him because he has knowledge of coaching almost every aspect of a team.  That is a REAL HC to me, but most of these guys, excluding Caldwell , the rest just don't have the resume of the can't miss coordinator.  

People forget Bowles was the hot DC along with Quin when the Jets chose him.  IMO being the hot coordinator on either side of the ball doesn't mean you can run an organization that has been poorly run like the Jets have for decades...

7 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

After almost 40 plus years of organizational missteps I want an organizer HC, someone who can make this organization better.  That is what Walsh was for the 49ers, what Bellichick did for NE and even Dungy did for Tampa.

I even put Dungy who didn't win a SB in TB for a reason, because making an organization stable for the long term isn't stupid or mediocre but IMO the way really great teams get it done.

14 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

II agree with you!

Let me be clear I DID NOT want McCarthy, period and for all of these same reasons!!!

But....

You can't take a LOSING college coach over McCarthy because he will be the steadying force.  He may be boring but that beats being a loser and incompetent.

That is a far cry from if you knew that a young assistant is being held back as Paul Brown did with Bill Walsh then you go after that candidate with everything you have!! But I don't see that being said with any of these guys! 

Now who would I like outside the reported candidates? 

Well I would say Rhule is the exception and I note him because he has knowledge of coaching almost every aspect of a team.  That is a REAL HC to me, but most of these guys, excluding Caldwell , the rest just don't have the resume of the can't miss coordinator.  

People forget Bowles was the hot DC along with Quin when the Jets chose him.  IMO being hot coordinator on either side of the ball doesn't mean you can run an organization that has been poorly run like the Jets have for decades...

Like you, Shanahan was my first choice, and I remember us talking about that weeks ago.. My preference from mid season was to try to convince him to come here with complete control. Coach 2 years, assess what we had personnel wise, groom his successor, then assume a Director of Operations type position. We're also both thinking the same way about these young coaches, and I agree with the points you made about Ruhle. The only way we differ is my unsupportable, except by opinion, feeling about McCarthy being too safe a pick. Because of that low upside feeling I have about him, I'm willing to instead take the definitely high risk, possibly(?) high reward shot on the young unproven guys.

18 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

This type of response is irritating.  For one, no matter how much you buy into the talking points about McCarthy, he's not mediocre.  Do you say the same thing about Sean Peyton?  I imagine not.  No one is settling for anything.  

He's not even my first choice but the  intensely anti-McCarthy crowd is becoming a little bit ridiculous.  You aren't the smartest guy in the room because you want an "up and coming offensive mind".  That's not an original thought.  It wasn't your thought to begin with.  Everyone wants the next Sean McVay.  Not many acknowledge he's probably not out there.

18 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Like you, Shanahan was my first choice, and I remember us talking about that weeks ago.. My preference from mid season was to try to convince him to come here with complete control. Coach 2 years, assess what we had personnel wise, groom his successor, then assume a Director of Operations type position. We're also both thinking the same way about these young coaches, and I agree with the points you made about Ruhle. The only way we differ is my unsupportable, except by opinion, feeling about McCarthy being too safe a pick. Because of that low upside feeling I have about him, I'm willing to instead take the definitely high risk, possibly(?) high reward shot on the young unproven guys.

I HEAR YA!!!!!!

All I can say is you are clearly younger than me, hence your willingness for high risk!!!!! :) 

Let you be a Jets fan for twenty more years of the Lou Holtz, Herm Edwards, Al Groh. Mangini, Bowles Kotitie etc. merry go round, sprinkling in the INANE GM who doesn't know more than us, your balding with high blood pressure with the Jets literally tearing the marrow from your SOUL and you'll come around to the safe side my friend., you'll come around..... :) 

Archived