Today's the day.. Mike McCarthy

SheaRay

If McCarthy had the chance to meet Darnold then I am sure he’s going to take the Jets job.  I mean, it’s hard to turn down Sam Darnold with his lovely personality and flowing red locks. He’s just dreamy. Hopefully Darnold looked into his eyes during a candlelight dinner. 

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

If McCarthy had the chance to meet Darnold then I am sure he’s going to take the Jets job.  I mean, it’s hard to turn down Sam Darnold with his lovely personality and flowing red locks. He’s just dreamy. Hopefully Darnold looked into his eyes during a candlelight dinner. 

Yup, the dinner would have sealed the deal, lol!

i guess that they weren’t able to close him before leaving.

McCarthy is a smart guy that is not going have the old 'don;t leave the building' nonsense.

I also thunk the jets are being smart in not having that attitude.

Have your interviews make your offers and see what happens.

The times you pull the 'don;t let him leave' is when you are dealing with a high end free agent.

There was a lot to consider on McCarthy's part family wise does his wife want to move here.  Green Bay sure is not the Metro Area.  12 years in one place can not be a easy decision to make over night to just get up and move.  Well hopefully the decision comes sooner than later about our next head coach.  I wonder if the search process could last until February or March?

1 minute ago, DJF71 said:

What are your main reasons for disliking McCarthy?  BTW, love the pic of your Aussie.

I know you didn’t direct your question towards me, but I will chime in with my two reasons that I am hesitant on McCarthy. 

1.  He runs a somewhat stale offensive system IMO. Not a lot of innovation, formations or motion. Heavily reliant on the quarterback and doesn’t seem to use motion, creative routes or other techniques to scheme players open.  How many times has Aaron Rodgers had to bail out the Packers with a Hail Mary at the end of the game? 

2.  Has only made it to the Super Bowl one time in the past decade with arguably one of the top three quarterbacks of the past 15 years. And, it’s not like he is playing in a conference dominated by the Patriots who have shut the door on many AFC teams for the past 15 years.  How has Aaron Rodgers only won the same number of Super Bowls as Joe Flacco and Nick Foles?  Has lost some tough playoff games including at Arizona and the Giants at home.  It just feels like McCarthy has underachieved given what he has had to work with. 

2 minutes ago, MS jets Fan said:

There was a lot to consider on McCarthy's part family wise does his wife want to move here.  Green Bay sure is not the Metro Area.  12 years in one place can not be a easy decision to make over night to just get up and move.  Well hopefully the decision comes sooner than later about our next head coach.  I wonder if the search process could last until February or March?

Hopefully Brett Favre told McCarthy about the great hunting that can be done in New Jersey. 

5 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

What are your main reasons for disliking McCarthy?  BTW, love the pic of your Aussie.

Like your Aussie too. Chloe passed away in July. Don't have it in me for another dog just yet.

I dislike McCarthy because I am not looking at his resume-which IS impressive. I'll even concede he developed Rodgers.

But today's NFL under the new CBA is much different than what it was. Practice is extremely limited Players are much younger and a different breed than even 4 or 5 years ago.

McCarthy is a good example of a traditional head coach. Conservative, solid system guy. Works to plug guys into his system and rely on execution. Not aggressive, manages a game by the book. McCarthy runs stock WC offense which defenses have adapted to defend against very well.

In today's NFL it is much harder to build a system and harder still to maintain continuity. Limited practices means offenses as their core need to be simpler. Every team has a base core system and language on offense and defense. What the great teams are doing is taking base offensive concepts and finding ways to disguise them. Using motions and shifts to gauge the defensive set. Bringing in elements such as RPO, jet sweep motion, etc... More importantly, the good teams are running offsenses designed AROUND their players not trying to restrict them to a scheme.

There is also much more scoring now. Because of the situational football is much more important, and being aggressive is now more rewarding than being conservative and letting the game come to you.

I am so against McCarthy because he is none of these things. He has a good resume but not the traits to be successful going forward. In fact I havent heard an argument for McCarthy other than essentially he has been successful in the past and developed Rodgers.

1 minute ago, jetspenguin said:

Oh..........except winning?

Sent from my SM-T835 using JetNation.com mobile app

Winning in college is much different than winning in the NFL. The NFL has rough talent parity while talent parity is not even remotely a thing in college. You can do a fantastic job of coaching and lead your team to 5 wins. Better teams have multiple future NFL players while some college rosters might not have more than a couple players that would even play for Alabama.

4 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Like your Aussie too. Chloe passed away in July. Don't have it in me for another dog just yet.

I dislike McCarthy because I am not looking at his resume-which IS impressive. I'll even concede he developed Rodgers.

But today's NFL under the new CBA is much different than what it was. Practice is extremely limited Players are much younger and a different breed than even 4 or 5 years ago.

McCarthy is a good example of a traditional head coach. Conservative, solid system guy. Works to plug guys into his system and rely on execution. Not aggressive, manages a game by the book. McCarthy runs stock WC offense which defenses have adapted to defend against very well.

In today's NFL it is much harder to build a system and harder still to maintain continuity. Limited practices means offenses as their core need to be simpler. Every team has a base core system and language on offense and defense. What the great teams are doing is taking base offensive concepts and finding ways to disguise them. Using motions and shifts to gauge the defensive set. Bringing in elements such as RPO, jet sweep motion, etc... More importantly, the good teams are running offsenses designed AROUND their players not trying to restrict them to a scheme.

There is also much more scoring now. Because of the situational football is much more important, and being aggressive is now more rewarding than being conservative and letting the game come to you.

I am so against McCarthy because he is none of these things. He has a good resume but not the traits to be successful going forward. In fact I havent heard an argument for McCarthy other than essentially he has been successful in the past and developed Rodgers.

Have the Jets called you for an interview yet? ?

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Which are...?

Offensive brilliance and adaptability. Proven ability to develop QBs. Good leadership, and game awareness.  I am not saying we should hire Kingsbury by the way, but I get it. Darnold has a higher ceiling under Kingsbury, Monken or Ruhle than McCarthy. I think Monken is the best candidate of the Jets schedule, with Ruhle just behind.

2 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Have the Jets called you for an interview yet? ?

Lol its an opinion board. It's what I believe. I actually bumped the thread where I liked the Bowles hire and thought he would be balanced but I could be totally wet, but dont think so. I can see the common traits of the successful coaches in the NFL right now.

2 hours ago, SMC said:

I never understand this logic.  While no HC has won a SB with multiple teams, only 31 HCs out of 263 coaches in the SB era have ever won a SB (only 11%).

So while the next SB winning coach to win one with a new team will be the first, finding a HC to win his first is extremely hard.

You may not understand it, but I didn't make up the stat...sports media is full of this stat and sometimes full of s%$#.  How come we haven't found a franchise QB since Namath, yet other teams have found multiple franchise QB's?  I could never understand that stat.

Winning in college is much different than winning in the NFL. The NFL has rough talent parity while talent parity is not even remotely a thing in college. You can do a fantastic job of coaching and lead your team to 5 wins. Better teams have multiple future NFL players while some college rosters might not have more than a couple players that would even play for Alabama.
He has NO record of winning.........NOWHERE!!!

This is the guy you want to entrust so much to? This is a defining moment in our franchise, the risk is too high to take a chance on a guy who cant even win against lower level competition.

There is no evidence that he will be something he has NEVER been.

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Lol its an opinion board. It's what I believe. I actually bumped the thread where I liked the Bowles hire and thought he would be balanced but I could be totally wet, but dont think so. I can see the common traits of the successful coaches in the NFL right now.

Just kidding bro ?

2 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

He has NO record of winning.........NOWHERE!!!

This is the guy you want to entrust so much to? This is a defining moment in our franchise, the risk is too high to take a chance on a guy who cant even win against lower level competition.

There is no evidence that he will be something he has NEVER been.

True.  We have been down this road many times the past 20 years with first time head coaches.  I want a experienced guy this time especially one who has had success.  I mean some are getting on him just because he won 1 Super Bowl lol

True.  We have been down this road many times the past 20 years with first time head coaches.  I want a experienced guy this time especially one who has had success.  I mean some are getting on him just because he won 1 Super Bowl lol

Thats the tru, tru...

Say what you want about McCarthy.......but he WINS.

23 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Hopefully Brett Favre told McCarthy about the great hunting that can be done in New Jersey. 

We never know what goes on behind the scenes.  So who's left Richard, Rhule and Monken I believe unless they change the list.

4 hours ago, Green DNA said:

So McCarthy's apparent initial lack of success as an assistant followed by a very successful HC career translates into future success for every unsuccessful assistant?   Okey dokey.

where did you get this from, I never said this, not even close to saying this. 

I said Manish is right, McCarthy becoming a successful HC after being an asst without any HC experience proves that an asst without HC exp can become a successful HC first time out.  

Get it?  Okey Dokey?

3 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Thats the tru, tru...

Say what you want about McCarthy.......but he WINS.

Yeah I’m not trying to say he is Bill Parcells but the guy has a good track record. Taking a coordinator like Monken means it’s a high risk move that you are hoping turns into a home run.  I don’t have a problem with taking a chance BUT with McCarthy there is a better chance of it working out IMO because of his experience and level of success

33 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Offensive brilliance and adaptability. Proven ability to develop QBs. Good leadership, and game awareness.  I am not saying we should hire Kingsbury by the way, but I get it. Darnold has a higher ceiling under Kingsbury, Monken or Ruhle than McCarthy. I think Monken is the best candidate of the Jets schedule, with Ruhle just behind.

I appreciate your reply, even if I do not agree that this candidate possesses those traits in a way that direct-translates to the Pro level.

I have to admit, I know very little about Monken.  And what I've seen of Ruhle is as unimpressive IMO as KIngsberry for a "at the Pro level" evaluation.

These smaller school "geniuses" just seem like the coaching equivalent of reach draft picks from DII schools.  Sure, they look great...in the minor leagues....at smaller schools....playing non-elite competition.  But how will that translate to playing BRady and Bellichek?

39 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Thanks for your input on McCarthy.  Sorry to hear about Chloe. When my last Aussie, McCoy died I had to get another dog right away.  Lucky to find Nick 3 days later.

5 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Joshua Robb

·
43m

NFL Network reporting former #packers HC Mike McCarthy has yet to leave the NY Jets building after interviewing for their vacant HC position. Apparently a source inside says McCarthy is warming to the idea of being the Jets HC

Whaaaaaaat. You have a link ??????

11 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Joshua Robb

·
43m

NFL Network reporting former #packers HC Mike McCarthy has yet to leave the NY Jets building after interviewing for their vacant HC position. Apparently a source inside says McCarthy is warming to the idea of being the Jets HC

Hire McC & add KK as the OC & that would be a Great start.

Archived