The Calm After the Storm; Jets Fans Getting on Board With Gase Hire

JetNation

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Me as well.  He wasn't my choice, but he's our guy now, so yeah.  Jets Fans root for the Jets, and Gase is the Jets Coach.  So like him or not, prefer his hiring or not, we'll all "be onboard" come opening day hoping for the best,  Hoping we're wrong on the guy,  I love being wrong.

Very few people on the board wanted Gase, I would wager.  But very few people knew anything about him, either.  The opinions flew, but they knew nothing about him.  I am pretty sure he can coach.  That was a sh*t team with a QB I have never been able to stand.  The 10-6 was the anomaly for that team.  Todd goes 4-12 with those teams.  And you can only do so much with poor, oft-injured talent.  I think Gase can coach.  The real problem is what Macc does with personnel, because we are the same sh*t show as Miami in that respect.

31 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Bowles was a fantastic hire according to Jets fans in the weeks and months following his hire.  We saw how that turned out.

If there's one group of people whose impartial judgement and rational analysis I trust least, it's probably us Jets fans.

The original Knee Jerks

the thread title is exactly me.  I have slowly inched my way back in from the ledge.  I am actually hopeful and excited about the new offense.  I needed a week or so to vent and I am still very angry that Maccagnan remains to continue to mess up this team.  But what can we do?  

Once DC is announced, if it's Williams or Richard I would be fine, preferably Williams.  FOr anyone else, I'll need to be convinced.

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Nothing Payton Manning says will change that fact that this was a terrible hire.

Nothing you say will convince me that you have any clue what you are talking about.  He is a Young but seasoned HC (Not a first time HC, Thank god), He is an offensive Coach (Haven't had one since Kotite), He is extremely studious in preparing for opponents (Bowles was never prepared and it felt like the team played stupid all the time), He designs play books per opponent (Not always a good thing but better then the junk we have seen the last 4+ years), And he was considered the next offensive genius when he was hired by the Dolphins (I have no idea why a team that had the likes of Matt Moore, Tannehill, and osweiler couldn't make the playoffs...)

Take in context his team and who surround him.... Sure the Jets team seems to lack talent, but above that they lack discipline and structure more then anything else... Gase will change that for better.

4 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Nothing you say will convince me that you have any clue what you are talking about.

Personal attacks are never necessary.  

He is a Young but seasoned HC (Not a first time HC, Thank god)

Seasoned at losing is still losing,

He is an offensive Coach (Haven't had one since Kotite),

Did you know Kotite in Philly, when we hired him was actually better than Gase in Miami.  Sad but true

He is extremely studious in preparing for opponents (Bowles was never prepared and it felt like the team played stupid all the time), He designs play books per opponent (Not always a good thing but better then the junk we have seen the last 4+ years), And he was considered the next offensive genius when he was hired by the Dolphins (I have no idea why a team that had the likes of Matt Moore, Tannehill, and osweiler couldn't make the playoffs...)

His offensives ranked 24th, 25th and 31st.  Those are still NFL players - if he was truly an offensive genius you would think he would be able to at least get his offenses out of the bottom 3rd of the league.  Let alone bottom 2!

Take in context his team and who surround him.... Sure the Jets team seems to lack talent, but above that they lack discipline and structure more then anything else... Gase will change that for better.

His players didn't like him and by many accounts completely lost the locker room.  discipline that loses the locker room doesn't help.  

@FidelioJetJust because the media reports it doesn't make it true.... There have been many other reports that counter that and players that refute that slandered reporting. 

He had Matt Moore, Tannehill and Osweiler.... The fact they scored points is a miracle in itself. Who cares what his record was with terrible QBs. For reference check out other head coaches without good QBs and what their records were... You will find it extremely hard to find examples of any of them going above .500 let alone going to playoffs.

Yes, Kotite was a terrible hire from day 1.... My family knows him personally and we still questioned WTF the Jets were doing... He was one of the worst coaches of all time... He has nothing in common with Gase.

Repeating what you read in biased news articles doesn't prove your point, it shows that you are good at regurgitating their opinions.

title could be changed to more accurately reflect the collective reaction

"The Near-Sanity after the hysterical quasi suicidal reaction"

oh.. Fidelio post multiple times that its a bad hire... YAWN.

I was in the who the eff? But then, admitting that I actually knew little about Gase, went back and looked at his history.

And , we have a choiuce to either hope or go dark and root for th rteam to fail so that our opinion that it was another bad move can be justified. 

I cant ROOT for them to lose. I mean...   I sat there and knew they would lose to Celveland, telling my wife, sit back and watch this...  was I rooting? No. 

As far as getting on board with the Gase hire, do I really have a choice? A little late to rewire my brain to root for another team. I'll root for Gase and the Jets but I still feel it was a bad hire, as much as I've tried to convince myself otherwise. I hope he proves me wrong.

8 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

As far as getting on board with the Gase hire, do I really have a choice? A little late to rewire my brain to root for another team. I'll root for Gase and the Jets but I still feel it was a bad hire, as much as I've tried to convince myself otherwise. I hope he proves me wrong.

well you could always sidle over to the chronically cynical and chronically negative here on this board.  @debatesman and @t0m shane would welcome you with a great big hug of ascerbic cynicism.   Fun?  Maybe not.

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

jet fans often let "hope" blind them to what reality really is

people defend mac-he built one of the worst rosters in football

people defended bowles and his coaching was some of the worst in football

people are now trying to defend a terrible hire out of hope-we hired a guy that has a terrible record and even worse his offenses are some of the worst in the league-you will hear he is smart lots of people are smart it does not mean they would be good coaches-they talk about how he will help Sam when QBs have been terrible under his coaching-people will then say they were just bad qbs but one thing we know he has not coached up any of these terrible guys

Gase was a terrible hire-now like the guys before him we will be stuck with him for 3-4 years to put in his system

football is like a business and a business gets its vision and plan from ownership/management-our ownership is not a good one and they continue to go down the same path and they expect different results and fans have to have hope because without hope you have nothing

Jet fans excuse Bowles and Maccagnan?

Hardly.  Jet fans for the most part are very knowledgeable and actually would have gotten way better results making decisions and running the team over decades now then the idiots hired on the cheap, compared to much of the league, by some of the worst owners in the entire league.

Virtually the only person who thinks Maccagnan should be GM unfortunately is the only one who counts, the owner, and most of that is face saving, he didn’t want to fire both he and Bowles after strangely handing both extensions.

I predict Gase will do well, with much of it based on the escalating greatness of Darnold.  Also I predict the Defense will play much better.  How many times did you see a d back get torched multiple times in a single game forced by Bowles to play single coverage and never giving him any help over 4 years?

Gase’s success will then be explained away by the media to once again protect Bowles, who they, for some reason, never fail to give a pass.

Archived