Draft analyst indicates 49ers more interested in Quinnen Williams than Nick Bosa

nyjbuddy

https://www.ninersnation.com/platform/amp/2019/3/30/18287845/nfl-draft-rumors-2019-quinnen-williams-49ers-preference-nick-bosa

With NFL draft creeping up, the 49ers will have some decisions to make with that No. 2 pick and that decision may not be BPA. If the Arizona Cardinals select Oklahoma quarterback Kyler Murray at No. 1 like many mocks are predicting, that leaves the 49ers with a decision between Alabama defensive tackle Quinnen Williams and Ohio State defensive end Nick Bosa.

On a recent KNBR appearance, Walter Football’s Charlie Campbell said the 49ers were valuing Williams as the better prospect:

“I spoke with people high up with the 49ers at the Combine, and they were just gushing about Quinnen WIlliams. They felt Bosa was an excellent player, a bit of safe pick, probably more of a position of need heading into free agency given how good DeForest Buckner was for the team last year. But they just had more emotion in the voice, more excitement for Quinnen Williams. They felt his upside was just off the charts when you consider last year was really his first season of playing time in the SEC, to dominate it in the fashion he did, and really moving inside, adding the weight to move inside, they felt the sky is the limit for what this guy could be. They just seem to think that Williams was more special as a player, had more upside, and really they like the make-up of him as well. And they didn’t dog Bosa at all. They just were really impressed with Williams, in terms of his character, his football character. And so, I heard that there from people high up with the 49ers. And then, speaking with some people at other teams, I have heard that some of the scouts in their conversations, they have also heard from 49ers people they are really high on Williams and really think the world of him. That’s the player that’s kind of tugging at the heartstrings.

“And then, when you kind of also look at the action speak louder than words side of things, they have a new defensive line coach who’s really changed things at what their looking for at edge rusher in terms of body type, John Lynch talked about that earlier this offseason and I think Nick Bosa in terms of body type there’s some similarities you see with Solomon Thomas, then they also trade for Dee Ford, more of a different kind of guy. So with having Dee Ford and Solomon Thomas and Arik Armstead, you have some guys that can play on the edge there. So I think that opens them up to being able to take a Quinnen Williams and pairing him on the inside with Buckner and kind of going for a similar Ndamukong Suh/Aaron Donald combination that the Rams did last year.”

This continues the narrative that the 49ers were torn between Williams and Buckner at the Combine. If this is true, it sounds like Williams may be rising above Bosa for that No. 2 pick.

If the 49ers go through with this, the admission may be that the first pick of the 2017 NFL Draft, Solomon Thomas, did not work out as according to plan. Thomas is not a bust, but he has been disappointing (yes, there is a difference). Some of this can be (understandably) blamed on some of the issues he’s had to go through in his personal life, some of this could be on fired 49ers defensive line coach Jeff Zgonina. Either way, if the 49ers take Williams, it would put Thomas on even thinner ice than already assumed. Thomas would provide solid depth and a fresh rotation on the line, but that’s not exactly what a 3rd overall pick should net a team.

New defensive line coach Kris Kocurek was put to task watching film on Thomas to see if there was anything the 49ers could do to salvage the player and this pick very well could come down to how that study went.

If this happens, is there an edge rusher in the second round the 49ers should go after?

23 hours ago, Paradis said:

Draft insight has passed Walterfootball bye years ago. 

49ers want out of their pick more than we do. Anything you read is fake or made to drum up interest. 

Agreed, but nobody is paying the price to move up... And I think if they are stuck with the pick Williams would be the pick. Which leaves another Mikey Mac gift.

19 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Agreed, but nobody is paying the price to move up... And I think if they are stuck with the pick Williams would be the pick. Which leaves another Mikey Mac gift.

I asked 49ers fans on twitter what they think/wanted their team to do with the pick... their fanbase seemed as perturbed as we are... they've invested (somehow) more into the Dline than the Jets in the past 5-6 years... Armstead, Buckner, Carradine, Thomas, the trade for Ford... they're as fed up with DTs as we are... but we didn't just give away a 2nd round pick (#34 overall) for Dee Ford. So maybe that tips the scales to Williams. 

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

I asked 49ers fans on twitter what they think/wanted their team to do with the pick... their fanbase seemed as perturbed as we are... they've invested (somehow) more into the Dline than the Jets in the past 5-6 years... Armstead, Buckner, Carradine, Thomas, the trade for Ford... they're as fed up with DTs as we are... but we didn't just give away a 2nd round pick (#34 overall) for Dee Ford. So maybe that tips the scales to Williams. 

Their plan is to draft Bosa or Allen to start opposite Ford

5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I think if we really want to be able to trade down, the best scenario is Murray goes #1, Bosa goes #2. The phone will ring off the hook for Q. Williams. Would love it to be Tampa...swap 1st's, get their 2nd, and either a 4th this year, or a2-3 next year.

14 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

You THINK their plan is to draft opposite to Ford bc you want QW. From a logic and performance standpoint - that doesn’t jive. Armstead is the weakest link by far. And just spend a pick on and End. 

I think they’ll take a bag of nuts to trade back id wager. 

18 minutes ago, section314 said:

I think if we really want to be able to trade down, the best scenario is Murray goes #1, Bosa goes #2. The phone will ring off the hook for Q. Williams. Would love it to be Tampa...swap 1st's, get their 2nd, and either a 4th this year, or a2-3 next year.

Or even better we simply draft Quinnen Williams

15 minutes ago, Paradis said:

You THINK their plan is to draft opposite to Ford bc you want QW. From a logic and performance standpoint - that doesn’t jive. Armstead is the weakest link by far. And just spend a pick on and End. 

It’s not that.  Yes, I want QW in a jet uniform I think he’s going to be an absolute stud for us our best defensive player since Revis

That said teams that know what they are doing try to get 2 pass rushers opposite each other not just 1

59 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

That said teams that know what they are doing try to get 2 pass rushers opposite each other not just 1

Than WHY wouldn’t we want a pass rusher? You just said that’s desirable. You’re  saying that despite Ford, they’ll take another. We don’t even have a Ford, yet you’re trying to tell me we should take Q to rotate with Leo and Henry? 

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

I don't know about that one, Solomon Thomas hasn't been very good. 

8 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I don't know about that one, Solomon Thomas hasn't been very good. 

At all. Who saw that coming?....

But I get from listening to their fan base is that at least there’s hope that maybe a move inside will help him. Seems ship has sailed with Armstead though. Average at best

But I get from listening to their fan base is that at least there’s hope that maybe a move inside will help him. Seems ship has sailed with Armstead though. Average at best

You know how much of a crap shoot the draft can be. You do all the homework you can on each prospect. Sometimes you find a gem other times a semi turd. Case in point Ryan Leaf.

6 hours ago, section314 said:

What a wonderful scenario  ! I'm thinking if we do trade down it might just be a last minute thing once we're actually on the clock.

24 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

You know how much of a crap shoot the draft can be. You do all the homework you can on each prospect. Sometimes you find a gem other times a semi turd. Case in point Ryan Leaf.

Wouldn't disagree with that....

however i think sometimes people ignore the obvious, or make things unnecessarily complicated. The whole paralysis by analysis thing.... There's lots of examples (Dion Jordan, B. Werner, Gholston) but the quintessential one might be Hackenberg. You didn't need a whiteboard and a room of scouts to tell you it wasn't going to work. Just use your eyes and gut. 

I never liked Solomon as an edge as I think he is a bit of a tweener. That being said, if Solomon moves inside (which he should), then you have Solomon and Buckner on the inside and a hole across from Ford. Bosa makes the most sense. 

25 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I never liked Solomon as an edge as I think he is a bit of a tweener. That being said, if Solomon moves inside (which he should), then you have Solomon and Buckner on the inside and a hole across from Ford. Bosa makes the most sense. 

that's what i would do... but as you've seen around these parts, some feel like its QW then no one. 

9 hours ago, Paradis said:

sounds to me like they are broadcasting loudly to the raiders that they can trade up to #2 to secure haskins for a discount

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

Than WHY wouldn’t we want a pass rusher? You just said that’s desirable. You’re  saying that despite Ford, they’ll take another. We don’t even have a Ford, yet you’re trying to tell me we should take Q to rotate with Leo and Henry? 

What I wanted was to sign Houston and draft Allen.  

I like Allen and have been lobbying for him for months but Quinnen Williams will immediately be a game changer who will get to the qb.  Zero bust factor.  

Wouldn't disagree with that....

however i think sometimes people ignore the obvious, or make things unnecessarily complicated. The whole paralysis by analysis thing.... There's lots of examples (Dion Jordan, B. Werner, Gholston) but the quintessential one might be Hackenberg. You didn't need a whiteboard and a room of scouts to tell you it wasn't going to work. Just use your eyes and gut. 

Totally agree on Hack. The hell with your gut the eyes alone were enough. He regressed every year he was a PSU. He was perhaps a 5th- 6th round flier by draft day. WTF was Macc thinking ?

12 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

What I wanted was to sign Houston and draft Allen.  

I like Allen and have been lobbying for him for months but Quinnen Williams will immediately be a game changer who will get to the qb.  Zero bust factor.  

Don't know if you can say that about ANY draft pick.

Archived