Football Talk - The X Factor

I'm desperately trying to find football topics to discuss over the next few weeks.  I can't read the silly topics that are posted here.  I just don't care who Namath shtooped the night before the Super Bowl!  Ok, this one is pulled directly from my tuchas but what the heck.

What are the biggest X factors this season?  (ASIDE FROM THE OBVIOUS DARNOLD IMPROVEMENT AND BELL IMPACT!)

• On offense it's obviously about the OL.  Will the current starters be the opening day starters?  Will Dase improve the backups?  Will they gel (jell?)?  Can Gase game plan around their deficiencies?  I think the game planning is uber (lyft?) critical.
  • On defense I think it's more about the pass rush than the secondary.  Don't get me wrong, I'm very concerned about the CB but an effective pass rush can cover (pun intended) a multitude of sins.  What impact will Q and Polite have on the pass rush?  Will Leo rack up double digit sacks?  This is a key to this year's success.
  • Will any of the second and third year guys step up?  As we all know, the key to a championship team is having youngsters step in for expensive vets.  Can Sheppard contribute enough to take out McClendon?  That would be a $3mm saving.  Can McGuire show something in Gase's offense?  That wouldn't save much $$ this year but it's important going forward.  Derrick Jones.  Enough said there.
  • Can Gase not implode?  I think the biggest impact Douglas will have on the team this year is keeping Gase in check.  Finally there is an adult in the room.
  • Will CJ Moseley provide the maturity and leadership this team has sorely lacked?  There's a discernible difference between an aggressive defense and being just a bunch of headhunters.  

Ok, have at it!

• Upvote 1

What, it's not Jonotthan Harrison???

The X factor in my eyes is Quincy Enunwa's health.  Over the first 4 games of last year, Sam targeted him 36 times.  Sam looks for Q.  He needs to stay on the field to help this offense.  He's our best YAC guy on the team and with Crowder taking the short area routes from him, you would have to imagine Q can be used in a much more dynamic way than just running screens.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

I'm desperately trying to find football topics to discuss over the next few weeks.  I can't read the silly topics that are posted here.  I just don't care who Namath shtooped the night before the Super Bowl!  Ok, this one is pulled directly from my tuchas but what the heck.

What are the biggest X factors this season?  (ASIDE FROM THE OBVIOUS DARNOLD IMPROVEMENT AND BELL IMPACT!)

• On offense it's obviously about the OL.  Will the current starters be the opening day starters?  Will Dase improve the backups?  Will they gel (jell?)?  Can Gase game plan around their deficiencies?  I think the game planning is uber (lyft?) critical.
  • On defense I think it's more about the pass rush than the secondary.  Don't get me wrong, I'm very concerned about the CB but an effective pass rush can cover (pun intended) a multitude of sins.  What impact will Q and Polite have on the pass rush?  Will Leo rack up double digit sacks?  This is a key to this year's success.
  • Will any of the second and third year guys step up?  As we all know, the key to a championship team is having youngsters step in for expensive vets.  Can Sheppard contribute enough to take out McClendon?  That would be a $3mm saving.  Can McGuire show something in Gase's offense?  That wouldn't save much $$ this year but it's important going forward.  Derrick Jones.  Enough said there.
  • Can Gase not implode?  I think the biggest impact Douglas will have on the team this year is keeping Gase in check.  Finally there is an adult in the room.
  • Will CJ Moseley provide the maturity and leadership this team has sorely lacked?  There's a discernible difference between an aggressive defense and being just a bunch of headhunters.  

Ok, have at it!

Mosley is the X factor on Defense. It was clear last year that Lee didn't understand how to call plays and when Williamson took over it helped but you can tell that is not his forte.

The versatility of the Off is going to surprise defenses... almost every skill player can play WR or RB and/or inside or outside WR... this can be used to a huge advantage.  Play calling will be the culprit if they don't utilize this well.

• Sympathy 1

Biggest X Factor for the Jets is LG K Osemele.    The Raiders got rid of him because he proved to be a bad fit in the zone blocking scheme .     Turns out Gase runs zone blocking scheme.( Jets are selling their fans  a Probowl caliber player( in man blocking scheme ) , and isn't anything close to that in a zone blocking scheme.

Yes scheme matters for a lot of players .  See James Carpenter was never a fit for zone blocking scheme . After coming from Seattle( zone blocking scheme) , he played pretty well his first year with the Jets.( scheme was better fit for him) . Only after the Jets went to more of zone blocking scheme - that he looked as bad as he did in Seattle.

Jmo The Jets biggest offense line addition should have been a player that excels in that blocking scheme, and not a former pro bowl player that excels in another blocking scheme.( Raiders were still running a power man on man blocking scheme no way they would have traded K Osemele). 

You play offense line in zone blocking scheme you have to think fast who you have to block.( not to mention the help you have to give the offense lineman next to you to execute that play successful.   You play in zone blocking scheme you better have brains like David Banner , and not be the Hulk- mindless brute who just wants to smash everything.     KISS - keep it simple stupid philosophy applies .   A lot of times in zone blocking scheme just hooking a defender is all you need to do, than trying to destroy the defender in front of you Everytime,

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Biggest X Factor for the Jets is LG K Osemele.    The Raiders got rid of him because he proved to be a bad fit in the zone blocking scheme .     Turns out Gase runs zone blocking scheme.( Jets are selling their fans  a Probowl caliber player( in man blocking scheme ) , and isn't anything close to that in a zone blocking scheme.

Yes scheme matters for a lot of players .  See James Carpenter was never a fit for zone blocking scheme . After coming from Seattle( zone blocking scheme) , he played pretty well his first year with the Jets.( scheme was better fit for him) . Only after the Jets went to more of zone blocking scheme - that he looked as bad as he did in Seattle.

Jmo The Jets biggest offense line addition should have been a player that excels in that blocking scheme, and not a former pro bowl player that excels in another blocking scheme.( Raiders were still running a power man on man blocking scheme no way they would have traded K Osemele). 

You play offense line in zone blocking scheme you have to think fast who you have to block.( not to mention the help you have to give the offense lineman next to you to execute that play successful.  You can't be bull in a China Shop - try to destroy everything in front of you, when all you have to do is hook the defender . 

KO was 330Lbs, probably more playing for the Raiders. He's 315 & in the best shape of his life now. The guy is a very intelligent mofo & knew to continue collecting large sums of money he needed to remake himself into a guy that could move. In this system he'll be asked to use his quickness & long arms to box out lanes for Le'veon Bell to dart through. But KO is still strong enough to do damage at the 2nd level to LBs & any Safety that wants to try & take him on.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, JiF said:

The X factor in my eyes is Quincy Enunwa's health.  Over the first 4 games of last year, Sam targeted him 36 times.  Sam looks for Q.  He needs to stay on the field to help this offense.  He's our best YAC guy on the team and with Crowder taking the short area routes from him, you would have to imagine Q can be used in a much more dynamic way than just running screens.

enunwa is certainly a factor and his health is important but imo health and injuries always factor into a team's well being.  i know it's pretty obvious we are supposed to be looking for one or a couple of players that the season may depend on.  i think the season will hinge an awful lot on bell being the player he was.  i get the part that he's supposedly in shape etc. but he still took a season off and is now sitting on a fat contract.  those are two huge reasons why the reality isn't going to meet expectations.  we'll see.

19 hours ago, JiF said:

No calling WR screens 8 times a game might help Q, but he hassle has to stop fighting and fighting for yardage to avoid injury

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

KO was 330Lbs, probably more playing for the Raiders. He's 315 & in the best shape of his life now. The guy is a very intelligent mofo & knew to continue collecting large sums of money he needed to remake himself into a guy that could move. In this system he'll be asked to use his quickness & long arms to box out lanes for Le'veon Bell to dart through. But KO is still strong enough to do damage at the 2nd level to LBs & any Safety that wants to try & take him on.

It has nothing to do with size playing the zone blocking scheme- see the Raiders start one of the biggest offense lines around.

K Osemele again for the millionth time not a good fit in the Zone blocking scheme - just because Jet fans keeping saying it will

be different in the Jets zone blocking scheme-  doesn’t make it so.   Guess you have to learn the hard way- no Bell , and Darnold will.