Mangini's Team?

Green DNA

Now that Terry's gone, it appears that Mangini is free to build this team exactly the way that he wants. He will probably be making all the draft day decisions without haggling with Bradway. I see Tannenbaum deferring to Mangini on personnel decisions. On the positive side, he will go after players that fit his system. On the negative, that's a lot of power for a relatively inexperienced coach. Thoughts?

Now that Terry's gone, it appears that Mangini is free to build this team exactly the way that he wants. He will probably be making all the draft day decisions without haggling with Bradway. I see Tannenbaum deferring to Mangini on personnel decisions. On the positive side, he will go after players that fit his system. On the negative, that's a lot of power for a relatively inexperienced coach. Thoughts?

I posted this in the Press Conference thread:

If this move does not make it crystal clear who is calling all the shots in the Jets organization, then you guys are missing the boat.

One of Mangini's strengths is his ability to anticipate rather then react. Great call there Boozer.

Mangini had to convince Woody that Bradway would only get in the way of progress.

Unfortunately, another good move by the Jets.

DNA...it is a lot of power for someone his age. But we have seen what average and below average football looks like. It is about time we took a shot at winning some championships.

Plus Tx has one less joke in his arsenal now.

This is a good thing, let the guy have the control he needs to have. We've already given him the keys to the car so why not let him drive how he prefers (I know, Tuna's 'they want you to cook they could at least let you shop for the groceries" is better but I needed to make my own).

Seriously though, Mangini is our guy now and I will be the first one to back him up on his decisions. We were 4-12 last year so any change for me is a good thing. Bradway just f'ed up too many times to have that kind of control. Think about if at your workplace you made the mistakes Bradway made you'd be happy just not being fired

DNA...it is a lot of power for someone his age. But we have seen what average and below average football looks like. It is about time we took a shot at winning some championships.

Plus Tx has one less joke in his arsenal now.

I'm behind it 100%. This organization needs a breath of fresh air and I was never a fan of Bradway. There's a lot of inexperience here now, but at least the ideas will not be the same old recycled crap. Youth is not necessarily a drawback (see: Theo Epstein)

This new regime really reminds me alot of the old GB regime when Holmgren started out. He had alot of young guys that eventually went on to become good HC's and GB won a SB in the process. Hopefully we can follow suit.

The difference is that Ron Wolf was an experienced GM/personnel guy. We have no experience in any position of management.

There are going ot be a lot of growing pains here for 2, maybe 3 years. We had all better learn patience.

If you are going to clean house, might as well not leave out the basement.

I don't really follow other GMs, so I can't say if Bradway has been the best or worst in the NFL, but having Mangini come in and set up his own nest is both risky but could reap the best rewards.

It is all or nothing now kids.

BZ

The difference is that Ron Wolf was an experienced GM/personnel guy. We have no experience in any position of management.

There are going ot be a lot of growing pains here for 2, maybe 3 years. We had all better learn patience.

What is key here is that Mangini will focus on getting guys that are a good fit for the system that he wants to implement. We have had 5 years of plugging square pegs in round holes, then changing philosophy and plugging round pegs in square holes. It hasn't worked.

The rumors about Tannenbaum being a rising star and possibly leaving us were rampant.

I like the move. I think Terry has gotten better the past two years draftwise, and I would like to see him remain as a scout or talent evaluator.

Mangini. He's showing that he's not afraid to place his stamp on this team. One, he failed to heed his mentor's advice on coming here.

Two, he hired his own young staff, not retread coaches.

Three, it appears that he won the power struggle and forced Bradway out or into a lesser role. He also managed to keep Mike Tannenbaum, who some say is a rising star, and had him elevated to GM.

Watch out. Pennington, Martin, Fabini, etc could be next. At the very least, the comfort that the Jets players are used to having is gone. I like an uneasy feeling around the team. Mangini appears ready to make players fear fro their jobs.

One thing I really like about all of this is the fact that nobody on the roster is safe. Being that Mangini has worked with the best coach in the NFL and played the Jets twice a year, we have a guy who knows what he has because he's been on a staff thats prepared for them twice a year.

Mangini knows that the Pats CS probably spent the last few years laughing at film of Fabini and knowing that C-Mart wasn't much of a threat to do much more than what his blockers made possible.

he has no ties to these players and has a good idea as far as what they are/are not capable of.

One thing I really like about all of this is the fact that nobody on the roster is safe. Being that Mangini has worked with the best coach in the NFL and played the Jets twice a year, we have a guy who knows what he has because he's been on a staff thats prepared for them twice a year.

Mangini knows that the Pats CS probably spent the last few years laughing at film of Fabini and knowing that C-Mart wasn't much of a threat to do much more than what his blockers made possible.

he has no ties to these players and has a good idea as far as what they are/are not capable of.

Mangini owes nobody anything. Every roster spot is up for grabs and a big contract doesn't mean a damn thing unless production justifies it. About freaking time.

I posted this in the Press Conference thread:

One of Mangini's strengths is his ability to anticipate rather then react.

I don't know where the mass of data comes from to make this statement Tx, but I hope you're right.

The inability to see or anticipate what our O line was going to look like, even without KM going down, was our single biggest throat slitter this season.

It's refreshing to have young, hungry guys who care more about getting it done right than kissing the collective hineys of the press for ego gratification. Edwards was ALWAYS more style than substance. It's clear it didn't work. Mangini and Tannebaum are strictly substance, style be damned.

I don't know where the mass of data comes from to make this statement Tx, but I hope you're right.

The inability to see or anticipate what our O line was going to look like, even without KM going down, was our single biggest throat slitter this season.

It is a known fact that when Mangini went about preparing his defensive game plans, he drove BB nuts with all the scenarios that he would anticipate.

This is also pretty well documented in Holly's book, "Patriot Reign" when Mangini was heading up the secondary.

To me, this is more about a character trait and values, rather then just a "way of working" as a DC/Secondary Coach.

Therefore, I will conclude that Mangini will operate the same way as HC of the NYJ's.

how is tennenbaum qualified to be the GM of the jets? we now have a non-football guy in charge of personnel. at least it really can't get much worse than it already is. it should be a real interesting off-season and year. i just hope that it this time next year we are talking about the jets having a legit shot at the afc east title in 2007.

I come home from school and the whole operation has changed.

Peter King might be right, this could be Bradways last year. Then he bolts to KC to replace Peterson.

Bradway's last year was 2005.

My condolences for your loss, EB. You were the BZ of Bradway.

how is tennenbaum qualified to be the GM of the jets? we now have a non-football guy in charge of personnel. at least it really can't get much worse than it already is. it should be a real interesting off-season and year. i just hope that it this time next year we are talking about the jets having a legit shot at the afc east title in 2007.

Tannenbaum's role:

Yes Eric, Yes Eric, whatever you say Eric.

Tannenbaum's role:

Yes Eric, Yes Eric, whatever you say Eric.

his job is to negotiate contracts and enable eric to build the team from the ground up. i wonder what happens the first time a player mangini wants doesn't fit with tannenbaum's financial plan.

i wonder if this move is a precursor to the expiration of the cba? with no cap and a new stadium on the horizon woody will have some deep pockets to tap into.

It is a known fact that when Mangini went about preparing his defensive game plans, he drove BB nuts with all the scenarios that he would anticipate.

This is also pretty well documented in Holly's book, "Patriot Reign" when Mangini was heading up the secondary.

Didn't know that and must say I'm happy as hell to hear it. There was way too little thinking going on during the Herm/TB era. Thanks for the info.

Fo_Block - WHERE THE F--- have you been the last 9 years!!:Cuss:

Why did parcells go out of his way to get him in the 1st place?

Why did Woody & Bradway keep him?

SALARY CAP MAN!

I would think that someone who knows how to conduct business with agents over restructuring could take over the role as a GENERAL MANAGER!

I believe that's what the job entails?

Or do you honestly believe that someone like MATT MILLEN (A former NFL STAR & Commentator) would be the better fit?!! :confused:

I can only believe that you do not have an idea of what the job truly entails...

Archived