Tannenbaum Quotes from today. (Merged Tannebaum Stuff)

j e t s

I don't see how you can't like this move. Bradway has been a train wreck since day one. To be honest, I don't know a lot about Tannenbaum. But he can't be worse then TB. Can he? :confused:

We shall see...but I wonder how long this has been brewing. Countless reports said that Mangini was a Tennenbaum hire and a few weeks later he's taking TBs job...hmmmm

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't see how you can't like this move. Bradway has been a train wreck since day one. To be honest, I don't know a lot about Tannenbaum. But he can't be worse then TB. Can he? :confused:

that is how i feel

He has made so many blunders, i lost track of them

He will be remembered for passing on Ed reed and F'n up the tenders on Coles, the signing of penneboy for $64m, and f'n up the cockroach's draft picks.

that is how i feel

He has made so many blunders, i lost track of them

He will be remembered for passing on Ed reed and F'n up the tenders on Coles, the signing of penneboy for $64m, and f'n up the cockroach's draft picks.

Bradway was never willing to do what was in the best interest of the team if it made him look like the bad guy.

For instance, it started way back with C Martin's huge deal a few years back. Everybody and their mother knew it was too much and too long, but Terry did it anyway knowing that he would get blasted by rabid fans if he lost Curtis.

Then it happened again with Marvin Jones and Mo Lewis. I was screaming all offseason before the 6-10 debacle that we needed to seriously upgrade at LB. Mo and Marvin were painfully slow and replacements needed to be brought in. It would not have been a popular move given the tenure of those 2, but for the betterment of the team it should have been done. Instead Terry waited 1 year too long until it was painfully obvious to all that they were washed up.

Next it was Pennington. Fans loved him, the team loved him, coach wanted have his babies. But the truth was a smart move would have been to risk having to frnchise him for a season and NOT sign him until you see him complete a full season without injury. We would not have lost him by waiting, and we would have signed him for a hell of alot cheaper amount had we waited.

This year was the OL. How many years in a row were we all quietly thinking to ourselves that the OL might crack. He did nothing to improve it nor did he do anything to insure it in case guys like Fabini and Mawae finally break down.

Terry is a reactive GM. He reacts to problems AFTER they occur. What we need is a proactive GM. Somebody with the foresight to recognize when things will become a problem and rectify it before the problem actually occurs.

Terry is a reactive GM. He reacts to problems AFTER they occur. What we need is a proactive GM. Somebody with the foresight to recognize when things will become a problem and rectify it before the problem actually occurs.

If this move does not make it crystal clear who is calling all the shots in the Jets organization, then you guys are missing the boat.

One of Mangini's strengths is his ability to anticipate rather then react. Great call there Boozer.

Mangini had to convince Woody that Bradway would only get in the way of progress.

Unfortunately, another good move by the Jets.

Sorry guys, there is just too much inexperience with Magnini and Tannanbaum...not that Bradway was the best GM in the world, but what kind of experience does T have with personnel? Not talking contracts here, just evaluating talent.

I was always worried about Herm's OJT, but this staff is going to have to be coddled very carefully. How long of a rope will the fan base give these guys?

I think what surprises me most is how much power Mangini has gotten in a short period of time. This obviously wasn't Woody's call otherwise he would have done it a few weeks ago.

Mangini and Mark T are tight. It has been widely reported that Bradway was losing ground to his Asst GM. But it is a powerful statement they are making today.

More importantly it is a good move. Is Mark T the answer? Not sure, he has a lot to prove. But Terry had 5 years to prove his worth. Have fun scouting in K.C.

Sorry guys, there is just too much inexperience with Magnini and Tannanbaum...not that Bradway was the best GM in the world, but what kind of experience does T have with personnel? Not talking contracts here, just evaluating talent.

I was always worried about Herm's OJT, but this staff is going to have to be coddled very carefully. How long of a rope will the fan base give these guys?

OK, I don't get this post.

You'd rather have the Jets organization go in the same conservative direction that they had since Parcells left?:eek:

And exactly who will "coddle" the staff? Woody?

Keep in mind that the definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing over and over again but expecting different results.

Well, Woody just took care of that problem.

I think what surprises me most is how much power Mangini has gotten in a short period of time. This obviously wasn't Woody's call otherwise he would have done it a few weeks ago.

Mangini and Mark T are tight. It has been widely reported that Bradway was losing ground to his Asst GM. But it is a powerful statement they are making today.

I gotta believe that when Mangini interviewed for the job, there were some verbal agreements about how much say he would have with personnel.

And Max, why would you say this was not Woody's call?

It had to be.

You'd rather have the Jets organization go in the same conservative direction that they had since Parcells left?:eek:

Keep in mind that the definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing over and over again but expecting different results.

That's not what I'm saying...I was never a Bradway supporter so to speak. All I'm saying is that between Magnini and Tannenbaum, there's an awful lot of growing pains that will go on. How much are Jet fans willing to go? Personally, I would have rather gone one more season with Bradway and then get themselves a real football guy in here for GM...what would have been the problem in hiring Barry Alvarez, former HC at Wisconsin? He has a great football mind.

I fully agree, TX.

We don't know for sure, but if Bradway was forced to step down into a lesser role, such as scout, then the Jets should not expect to skip a beat.

The Jets have one of the largest scouting departments in the NFL. Let Terry concentrate solely on scouting/evaluation and go from there.

Nick Saban did the same last year. He allowed Rick Spielman to stay on for awhile, then he axed him.

The Fins had a very good draft by all accounts.

Jets Name Mike Tannenbaum General Manager

The New York Jets announced today the promotion of Mike Tannenbaum to General Manager and that Terry Bradway has agreed to remain with the Club in a consulting position. The announcements were made by New York Jets’ Chairman and CEO Woody Johnson.

"It was my decision to go in a new direction, and we have mutually agreed Terry Bradway will step down as general manager, and remain with the Jets as a consultant on player personnel and the draft," said Johnson. "Mike Tannenbaum is right for the job because the job of General Manager has broadened, becoming more complex. Mike and Coach Eric Mangini begin a new era in Jets’ history. Theirs is a natural partnership. To take us to the next level, Mike and Eric will establish a culture of accountability that permeates the entire organization."

"I’m humbled by this opportunity and feel fortunate that ownership has shown confidence in me to build this team both for the short and long term," said Tannenbaum. "We are going to be accountable to our fans and ownership and we’re going to make tough decisions, not easy ones. I eagerly accept this challenge. We are going to stay convicted to our core goals and, in doing so we can accomplish everything that we set out to do."

"I am sincerely grateful to Terry for bringing me to the New York Jets. We are very fortunate that he will remain with the organization and we can still capitalize on his vast experience," said Head Coach Eric Mangini. "Mike Tannenbaum and I have been close friends for 11 years. I have tremendous respect for his knowledge, his leadership abilities, and his character and together we will eagerly embrace the challenge of building a championship team."

Tannenbaum, 36, is entering his ninth season with the Jets, and since 1997, has served in a variety of administrative football management positions. Prior to his promotion, Tannenbaum most recently served as the team’s senior vice president, football operations/assistant general manager. A native of Needham, MA, Tannenbaum was previously assistant general manager/director of pro personnel from 2001-03, and the team’s director of pro player development/contract negotiations during the 2000 season.

In his previous position of senior vice president, football operations/assistant general manager, Tannenbaum oversaw the team’s pro personnel department, professional scouting, and was the lead negotiator for player contracts, as well as being responsible for the management and strategic planning of the Jets’ salary cap. He also handled financial forecasting and predicting trends of the collective bargaining agreement (CBA) as well as the collection and analysis of extensive research on player movement, and contract developments in order to ascertain market value and trends.

In 2000, Tannenbaum signed all of the Jets’ unprecedented four first round draft selections, re-signed Pro Bowl LB Mo Lewis, and restructured the contracts of CB Ray Mickens and SS Victor Green.

In 1998, Tannenbaum signed restricted free agent RB Curtis Martin to a long-term contract, which was widely considered to be one of the most innovative contracts structured under the CBA.

Tannenbaum was hired by the Jets on Feb. 2, 1997, after having served with both the New Orleans Saints in 1994 and 1996 and the Cleveland Browns in 1995 as a player personnel assistant. He worked as an intern with the Pittsfield (NY) Mets of the New York-Penn League (Class A) in 1991.

He graduated Cum Laude from Tulane Law School where he earned his certificate in sports law. He is a member of the American Bar Association, as well as their Sports and Entertainment division, and is also a member of the Sports Lawyers Association. He graduated from the University of Massachusetts with a degree in accounting and a minor in sports management. He was a 1987 graduate of Needham High School in Boston. Born in New York City, Tannenbaum and his wife, Michelle, and daughter, Ella Morgan, reside on Long Island.

And to think, I thought this would happen in January '07 - boy did time fly fast!

And Max, why would you say this was not Woody's call?

It had to be.

Let me clarify. Yes, definitely it was his call. What I meant is that it wasn't his idea. Otherwise he would have just done it when Herm left.

Jets Name Mike Tannenbaum General Manager

The New York Jets announced today the promotion of Mike Tannenbaum to General Manager and that Terry Bradway has agreed to remain with the Club in a consulting position. The announcements were made by New York Jets

More importantly it is a good move. Is Mark T the answer? Not sure, he has a lot to prove. But Terry had 5 years to prove his worth. Have fun scouting in K.C.

Max, it looks like this was part of deal to Bring mangini here,, just held off on annpouncement to save Bradways face........

My gut tells me that Bellly told mangini to make this a dealbreaker,,

plus i wouldnt be at all surprised to see Terry run draft then bolt as asst gm to kc,,,

Archived