Is Harrison an awesome player?

Y3k

I thought Harrison (and the whole o-line for that matter) looked good when they played together in the pre-season. I didn't understand the Kalil move at the time and was hoping it was just to have veteran depth. Handing him the starting job with little practice and no game reps (pre-season) with the rest of the unit was a head scratcher to me given how Harrison seemed to stabilize the line at the end of last season.

I actually thought Harrison might be facing a PED suspension or something like that and that was the reason Joe D made the move.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, phill1c said:

totally agree here. But I also think his poor grading NOW may not be chronic. Yes, we need upgrades. Because as bad as Harrison is, he's still better than the OGs playing next to him, according to PFF grades.

That said, I posted the PFF grades for the OL in a separate post. It had Winters as the second best grading OL on the Jets. Kalil was the worst. But whatever the grades are/were, there is no doubt that over the last 3 games, when Winters and Kalil have not been starting, the OL is looking professional. No, they still don't get much push in the running game, but they do seem to give Darnold plenty of time vs. the jailbreaks that he had to endure with Winters and Kalil.

The tackle spot is another matter, where the RT position seems ok but the LT is in flux because of the FA status of Beachum. Plus, we could use an upgrade there. I mean, we could use an upgrade across the board, but, right now, it's good enough to score 4 TDs per game.

Stick to calling people n-words and having the mods think it’s me

9 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I thought Harrison (and the whole o-line for that matter) looked good when they played together in the pre-season. I didn't understand the Kalil move at the time and was hoping it was just to have veteran depth. Handing him the starting job with little practice and no game reps (pre-season) with the rest of the unit was a head scratcher to me given how Harrison seemed to stabilize the line at the end of last season.

I actually thought Harrison might be facing a PED suspension or something like that and that was the reason Joe D made the move.

The Kalil move was based on hysteria that no way a depth guy who wasn’t a high draft pick like Harrison could be an effective starter

On 11/28/2019 at 5:56 AM, BurnleyJet said:

It’s not just him , it’s Lewis and Compton.

The interior of the line is a massive upgrade from kelechi osemele, Ryan Kalil, and Brian Winters. Darnold has time to thow the ball. Honestly in my near 40 year fandom, I’d never seen such poor oline play.

It’s like with Roberts and Johnson out, Bless Austin and Arthur Maulet are miles better.

This.

Its not just Harrison. Harrison on his own is not that great. He's solid and has improved since last year, which I think was expected. But its about putting better players around him, even if only slightly better.  

Similar to our CBs- Roberts and Tru were just so slow there ere constantly getting beat. You put younger, faster, more athletic Maulet and Bless on the outside, WRs can't beat them as easily and everything changes with that slight upgrade. Bless in particular looks really good. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

It was a complete head scratcher and made no sense to me. It seemed especially unfair to Harrison. I also think it was a Gase move. Joe D may have brought Kalil in, he may have even pushed Gase to play him, but Gase made the decision to start him and stick with him despite the poor play. 

32 minutes ago, PepPep said:

It was a complete head scratcher and made no sense to me. It seemed especially unfair to Harrison. I also think it was a Gase move. Joe D may have brought Kalil in, he may have even pushed Gase to play him, but Gase made the decision to start him and stick with him despite the poor play. 

Kalil was worth the shot. His play should have made him the backup to Harrison. But, if JD didn't sign Kalil what would have happened if Harrison got dinged and was out for 3 to 5 weeks? The Jets needed a backup at C and they decided to start the wrong guy.

I really like Harrison, watching his interviews, the guy really seems to be a class individual and I hope the best for him in the future.

Edited by Big_Slick
grammmeer - too much beer
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

The Kalil and Vedvik moves cost us the playoffs