This one is definitely on Sam

Maxman

6 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This really is it. The only thing that matters is that Darnold has not indisputably proven he’s the guy. It doesn’t mean he never will be the guy, but it does mean we need to keep looking for the guy in the meantime.

There is no reason to hitch our wagon to Darnold yet. Regardless of who our QB will be, they need support from an OL and offensive weapons. I wouldn’t waste any premium draft capital on a QB until the rest of the offense is built. You know, do things in a sensible order this time. FU MAC!!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

This really is it. The only thing that matters is that Darnold has not indisputably proven he’s the guy. It doesn’t mean he never will be the guy, but it does mean we need to keep looking for the guy in the meantime.

Isn’t 26 games by the end of the year enough to be fairly predictive? If it isn’t we’re essentially saying he needs more time because it’s important to be fair to him for getting mono. 

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Isn’t 26 games by the end of the year enough to be fairly predictive? If it isn’t we’re essentially saying he needs more time because it’s important to be fair to him for getting mono. 

26 games on a reasonably competent team, yes.

When Sam has at least a slightly above average oline and someone who's not a complete moron calling the plays, then we can judge. Till then, I consider Sam a god for simply surviving. 

Notice I said nothing about skill position players cause I believe with some solid blocking, he can elevate others around him.

21 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

When Sam has at least a slightly above average oline and someone who's not a complete moron calling the plays, then we can judge. Till then, I consider Sam a god for simply surviving. 

Notice I said nothing about skill position players cause I believe with some solid blocking, he can elevate others around him.

I’m not looking to disagree, you make a reasonable point.

It’s one thing for fans to say, give him an average OL, or some WRs before we judge him, but a GM and CS should have a feel for a player after he’s put two seasons on tape, and they’ve worked with him for a year.

I have no idea how Douglas or Gase feel about him obviously. I just don’t think they look at this the same way we would, needing to wait for other, better players before they decide...

Maybe I’m wrong? Thoughts? @RutgersJetFan @Jetsfan80

24 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Contextualizing a sample size based on variables that are already controlled for is problematic in so many ways. Yes, there is always a possibility the data is wrong, but it’s not probable. 

10 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I’m not looking to disagree, you make a reasonable point.

It’s one thing for fans to say, give him an average OL, or some WRs before we judge him, but a GM and CS should have a feel for a player after he’s put two seasons on tape, and they’ve worked with him for a year.

I have no idea how Douglas or Gase feel about him obviously. I just don’t think they look at this the same way we would, needing to wait for other, better players before they decide...

Maybe I’m wrong? Thoughts? @RutgersJetFan @Jetsfan80

I think it’s risk vs reward. How many years of your life do you think it’s worth to bet against probability? Even before Darnold got to the Jets, there was a mountain of evidence that said he would turn out this way no matter his circumstances. He was 50/50 either way because of the lack of experience. And a lack of experience in college is not generally something that guys just magically make up for in the pros. The Jets would basically be saying that they are taking every single bit of information that we have historically on quarterbacks through their first two seasons and we are going to bet against it.

21 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think it’s risk vs reward. How many years of your life do you think it’s worth to bet against probability? Even before Darnold got to the Jets, there was a mountain of evidence that said he would turn out this way no matter his circumstances. He was 50/50 either way because of the lack of experience. And a lack of experience in college is not generally something that guys just magically make up for in the pros. The Jets would basically be saying that they are taking every single bit of information that we have historically on quarterbacks through their first two seasons and we are going to bet against it.

I’ve read your posts and respect your affinity with numbers. You explain them well, and your argument is one I agree with.

I never was very optimistic about this player, even before he was drafted. There were two maybe three QBs I liked better.

The first two had won Heismans, the third was very raw. Granted I might have been unfair in worrying about a “USC QB” but I was. I also looked at his age and lack of time playing the position as cons, not pros as a lot of people did. Add the fact that his final year in college wasn’t what was hoped for, and I saw a lot of red flags.

Watching him, I’ve never been wowed as others have. I see a lot of flaws, both in his mechanics, decision making, and even arm strength. I’ve probably rubbed a lot of people the wrong way expressing these things, but I don’t see how others can ignore them.

Anyway, I find it very interesting that more and more people have been voicing their concerns here recently. The next few weeks should prove interesting.

30 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I’ve read your posts and respect your affinity with numbers. You explain them well, and your argument is one I agree with.

I never was very optimistic about this player, even before he was drafted. There were two maybe three QBs I liked better.

The first two had won Heismans, the third was very raw. Granted I might have been unfair in worrying about a “USC QB” but I was. I also looked at his age and lack of time playing the position as cons, not pros as a lot of people did. Add the fact that his final year in college wasn’t what was hoped for, and I saw a lot of red flags.

Watching him, I’ve never been wowed as others have. I see a lot of flaws, both in his mechanics, decision making, and even arm strength. I’ve probably rubbed a lot of people the wrong way expressing these things, but I don’t see how others can ignore them.

Anyway, I find it very interesting that more and more people have been voicing their concerns here recently. The next few weeks should prove interesting.

I actually liked the Darnold pick and thought it was worth the risk. I felt the same about Sanchez and Geno (though Geno based on his college data wasn’t nearly the risk that Darnold and Sanchez were). I even didn’t mind the Hackenberg pick so much because I really don’t mind throwing multivariate causal stuff to the wind as long as it’s for throwing up a Hail Mary in the draft when it comes to quarterbacks. Whatever, sooner or later they gotta hit on one, right? All of that is fine with me. What I can’t ever comprehend is holding on to hope well passed thresholds. Happens with every one of these guys and two seasons into Darnold he’s scoring quite literally exactly what the probabilities said he would score out as. Maybe it’s not definitely time to move on yet, but it probably is. 

Sam has clearly demonstrated every single trait you want in a QB. Everything except consistency. 
Unless I’m mistaken he has never played in the same offense in back to back seasons going back to high school. 

Give Sam a line, 3 legit playmakers and time to master an offense and look out 

the jetsy thing of course is if he does become consistent and improves it probably means 4 years of gase lol

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Contextualizing a sample size based on variables that are already controlled for is problematic in so many ways. Yes, there is always a possibility the data is wrong, but it’s not probable. 

English doc?

There are two arguments on this board. 1. Sam sucks because he's not carrying a bunch of XFL players to a Superbowl. 

2. Sam has all the ability to succeed, just needs some decent bodies around him. 

I watched enough bad QBs on the jets to realize #2 is true. I'm sticking by #2 until I see video evidence of Sam stinking with a competent oline in front of him. Guys, let me be very clear. WE HAVE THE WORST OLINE IN THE LEAGUE. That's not hyperbole. That is fact, check the ratings. You guys would have said deshaun Watson stinks when he's was getting killed in prior years behind a sh*t oline. And he had great recievers! You guys would have said Aaron Rodgers stinks when Green Bay stunk last year cause he couldn't succeed with McCarthy. Guys, circumstances have everything to do with success. Some times they are a bit much to overcome. If you can't see the good traits that Sam has and envision that with a good supporting cast, that's your failing.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1