This one is definitely on Sam

Maxman

1 hour ago, RonaldJet said:

I’m almost ready to write him off. It’s amazing how people defend Darnold as a good QB. The guy is the worst QB in the NFL IMO. 

its sad when you're watching the early game like David Blough Lions huh? what a great backup player. 

Steelers are on their 3rd QB and competing

the Jets players are never coached up to be any better on offense 

the truth is Darnold needs to be coached and Gase is just cashing paychecks over there 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

its sad when you're watching the early game like David Blough Lions huh? what a great backup player. 

Steelers are on their 3rd QB and competing

the Jets players are never coached up to be any better on offense 

the truth is Darnold needs to be coached and Gase is just cashing paychecks over there 

This year has been amazing for the pretty not that bad play of #2 and #3 QB's in the NFL.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the worst #2/#3 QB'ing in the league was here with the Jets.  Cup of Coffee for the one guy, the other guy horrible (or in part a coach who couldn't coach him or the team to anything in that spot).

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Footwork is high school stuff 

..then it's strange how many coaches exist at the pro level for it...and that's coaches on a team's payroll before you get to the guys the QBs pay to train them..

Also, nothing is 'high school stuff' if it's not happening correctly. The head coach has to fix whatever's broken. He can't just be like, "oh, Sam has bad footwork. NEXT!" even if you don't consider how many of the top QBs come out of college and have to improve their footwork. HC can't just be like, "I want a perfect pro ready player at every position".

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

you can count to 4-one-thousand before the pocket collapses

Here is Sam when the ball gets in his hand.  Note 0:07

image.png.e8d3b36c626b02091db6c072a3c438d7.png

Here is Sam getting pulled down.  Note the 0:09

image.png.d97a307427f760d34b5c55a6be9cbaba.png

As a comparison, here is Dalton throwing his TD pass.  Snap at 0:01:

image.png.be3e2edb87e36e9cd4105ef8dd72a9e5.png

Released at 0:04.  No one is remotely close to him.

image.png.0023f3034cd0121b5eb9f9960504190a.png

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

He's a human. He will make mistakes in a game. Go scrutinize all 22 video of drew Brees. I gaurantee you'll find some screw ups on him. Geez people

Said it already, but north bay sports radio on monday was eye opening..

Niners just went toe to toe with Balt at Balt 1pm start and just BARELY lost.

The scrutiny of end of half play calling and 4th down play call in 4thq was over the top.]

And..the OP states THIS ONE, as in "this single play"   and thats ok.

Especially when the narrative is being pushed that NOTHING IS SAMS FAULT EVER AT ALL.

19 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Once again, Adam Gase is not a teacher.  Sam’s footwork has regressed this year.  Gase is nothing more than a glorified passing game coordinator and we better hope he’s fired after next season.  A smart owner would just let Joe Douglas pick another HC.

What if Joe Douglas would pick Adam Gase?

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

Especially when the narrative is being pushed that NOTHING IS SAMS FAULT EVER AT ALL.

IMHO, that's a straw man.

Think the narrative being pushed is, "yeah, he's made mistakes, and will make more, especially, while the supporting cast is so - I think the potential is there for him to be a fqb."

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

IMHO, that's a straw man.

Think the narrative being pushed is, "yeah, he's made mistakes, and will make more, especially, while the supporting cast is so - I think the potential is there for him to be a fqb."

After almost two seasons, the narrative around here now sounds more like “I think if we can get an all pro level OL, a big bodied #1 WR and a flashy rookie like Jeudy to line up opposite him, a new HC and OC, and Sam works on his mechanics and decision making.... he has a chance to become a FQB”.

if he can stay healthy for a full season.

13 hours ago, RonaldJet said:

Sanchez was one the worst starting QB in the NFL (statistically) Darnold is one of the worst QBs in the NFL.

Its year 2. If it acts like bust, talks like a bust, and looks like a bust it’s probably a bust. He’s 22 so perhaps he can turn it around, but I honestly believe we are spinning our wheels with him and Gase. 

you loco esse...

23 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

After almost two seasons, the narrative around here now sounds more like “I think if we can get an all pro level OL, a big bodied #1 WR and a flashy rookie like Jeudy to line up opposite him, a new HC and OC, and Sam works on his mechanics and decision making.... he has a chance to become a FQB”.

If "around here" refers to Nico, maybe. Otherwise, far from the narrative. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I like Sam. I’m hopeful about Sam. But this was the exact same stuff we were writing in defense of Sanchez not too long ago

Sorry Tom, I usually agree with you but Sam has made more plays under duress than Sanchez did in his whole career. Sanchez also never played behind an Oline that had zero success running the ball. Sanchez also had no touch like Sam has shown dropping balls over coverage. 

Now because Sam has pretty much played his entire career running for his life, I'm not quite sure he'll be a great pocket passer when Joe D fixes the Oline. It might be a strange condition that Sam will need time to adjust to actually having time if that makes any sense. He might try to win every play again which seems to send him on a path of mind numbing turnovers. He's still an unknown quantity as to just what his ceiling can be?

• Upvote 1

On 12/4/2019 at 10:36 PM, T0mShane said:

Sam definitely has happy feet this season and the Jets have to pray to God he can recover if/when Douglas increases the talent along the OL

You mean you think getting sent out every game to get treated like a crash test dummy might actually affect a young QB's frame of mind? Like it might actually get him seeing pressure or anticipating getting hit when it isn't there to the detriment of his game?

Who would have ever thought that? Mac, our highly respected and wonderful GM never thought that? He was more than happy to send Sammy out on the field to get the sh*t beat out of him.

In all seriousness, I'm right there with you. I think Sammy could be taking a beating that's giving him irreversible damage to his psyche. My hope s that he's more resilient than that. We saw that happen to Kenny O'Brien and I'm not interested in reliving that nightmare.

22 hours ago, RonaldJet said:

Sanchez was one the worst starting QB in the NFL (statistically) Darnold is one of the worst QBs in the NFL.

Its year 2. If it acts like bust, talks like a bust, and looks like a bust it’s probably a bust. He’s 22 so perhaps he can turn it around, but I honestly believe we are spinning our wheels with him and Gase. 

WTF? I'm keeping this post for prosperity. If this isn't a fan with too high of expectations based on the general state of the roster I don't know what to tell you. The Eagles were in the Super Bowl recently & have had a few injuries (nothing close to the Jets), and lost to Miami up 2 TDs at one point. 

Go back in history & look at QBs like Steve Young & Vinnie Testerverde and how long their transfers to good capable QBs took. It wasn't less than 2 years of QBing in the NFL. 

23 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I like Sam. I’m hopeful about Sam. But this was the exact same stuff we were writing in defense of Sanchez not too long ago

Well, that's true but there's still MANY differences between Sanchez and Sammy. Sanchez was as dumb as a brick and would think nothing of repeating the very same dumb mistakes over and over again. He was never able to go through progressions successfully. It's one thing to throw the ball into triple coverage and have it be intercepted. But to do it over and over again is something entirely different. It illustrates how dumb Sanchez was.

Sammy, on the other hand, is a smart kid. He has a unique ability (which cannot be taught, mind you) to feel pressure coming when he isn't looking. That ability to scramble when the pocket is breaking down sets him apart from a zero like Sanchez. Not to mention a litany of other talents Sammy has and Sanchez didn't.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

No... with an all pro level OL and a legit #1 Darnold is an MVP candidate. He’s already as proven a FQB as a 22 year old can be... 

On 12/4/2019 at 11:13 PM, T0mShane said:

The thing is, he seems capable of overcoming it week to week so far. The Bengals game was gross for him, but the weeks prior he seemed pretty confident in the pocket. It stands to reason he'll be better when he has a group of professional OL in front of him, but he's been scary inconsistent this year. Douglas is going to have to go balls to the wall on OL, rapidamente

its going to be a process, Theyll have to at least make one good FA signing, and probably one solid guy for depth/possible average starter.  I think alex lewis will be back, and obviously edoga.  I also think they try to keep beachum for 1 more year for insurance.  

Right now the jets will be either going WR or OL in the first round, unless by some slim slim chance they chase young is there for them.  I do fully expect the jets to trade down if one of the QBs slide which will help their cause.  

Douglas has to be successful on a mid round offensive lineman in order to not make this a 3 year process. He can turn the line around in a year or two with a very good FA signing, resigning some of our own guys, and 2 very solid guys in the draft.  The wild card being how Edoga develops in the offseason and if he can be a viable starter next season. 

14 hours ago, DLJ said:

Wonder if he went and got wasted again this weekend? Wonder why he doesn’t get sh*t for his low key drunken ways- hmm

Jets fans are too busy hating on Jamal Adams to care.

Yeah or blaming Quinnen Williams for not having more quarterback sacks

7 hours ago, nico002 said:

No... with an all pro level OL and a legit #1 Darnold is an MVP candidate. He’s already as proven a FQB as a 22 year old can be... 

sigh 

there's a word for a QB for requires an all pro OL and weaponz all over the field to function he's called a manager 

franchise means you make the scrubs around you better 

8 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

We saw that happen to Kenny O'Brien and I'm not interested in reliving that nightmare.

they didn't trade 3 second round picks for Kenny O

8 hours ago, nico002 said:

Maybe and absolutely not! He has proved nothing except he has a lot of work to do. Those things will help but at the same time there is no guarantee he will be anything better than good. I think good should come before calling him a FQB. Good would be a nice start. 

On 12/5/2019 at 5:11 AM, T0mShane said:

And take a guess at what people were saying about what the numbers said about Sanchez at that time. And Geno. Guess what those same numbers say about Darnold now?

• Upvote 1

So am I the only one who thinks he makes the correct read? The trips are his first read.  Bengals are in Cover 3.  Nickel immediately jumps the flat.  Outside corner carries with the deep route.  Corner/Deep out is essentially one on one with LB and clearly will have him beat.  

In my opinion, If there is a complaint with this play, it's that Darnold doesn't let the deep out fly and trust he'll be there

27 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

And take a guess at what people were saying about what the numbers said about Sanchez at that time. And Geno. Guess what those same numbers say about Darnold now?

What do they say?  And are we talking all numbers or just 1 number(interceptions)?

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If he can't at least get up to the middle of the pack in 2020, I'll likely be ready to move on.

And early on. Worth noting their college predictions had him at something like 52/48 as bust or not, so this is right in line with everything from a data standpoint. If you strictly look at things in the aggregate right now along with the mono catastrophe...if I'm the Jets it's time to start planning for the worst either in FA or the draft. If you're looking at just the data the probability increases by the week. This is really a make-or-break month for him in terms of predictive stuff.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

And early on. Worth noting their college predictions had him at something like 52/48 as bust or not, so this is right in line with everything from a data standpoint. If you strictly look at things in the aggregate right now along with the mono catastrophe...if I'm the Jets it's time to start planning for the worst either in FA or the draft. If you're looking at just the data the probability increases by the week. This is really a make-or-break month for him in terms of predictive stuff.

Also worth noting this whole thing sucks. I liked the Darnold pick and thought it was worth the risk, (thought the same about Sanchez) and I still do. Almost a 50/50 shot for someone with that level of skill and pedigree is worth the squeeze for a franchise without a QB. That said the Jets have really had some awful history with selecting quarterbacks that lacked in college experience. That has to be the #1 qualifying variable going forward with this organization. No more Darnolds or Sanchezes.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

if I'm the Jets it's time to start planning for the worst either in FA or the draft.

This really is it. The only thing that matters is that Darnold has not indisputably proven he’s the guy. It doesn’t mean he never will be the guy, but it does mean we need to keep looking for the guy in the meantime.