This one is definitely on Sam

Maxman

This has been discussed over and over again. But Alex from JetNation Radio tweeted this and I thought it was worth sharing. I am on record as saying the Jets have a lot of problems and Sam isn't one. But, he has a ton of room to get better. Here is a prime example.

• Upvote 6
  • Thumb Down 2

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Sam definitely has happy feet this season and the Jets have to pray to God he can recover if/when Douglas increases the talent along the OL

Yeah, I've no doubt Douglas will revamp this OL as much as he can in the offseason and draft. I just hope Darnold can be fine by next season when that happens. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Sam definitely has happy feet this season and the Jets have to pray to God he can recover if/when Douglas increases the talent along the OL

I think he will, the lack of confidence is definitely showing. Can't say I blame him, but he saves some sacks with that weird roll out spin move he does. He has a gunslinger mentality, so that will bring some bad plays. I will be happy if the bad plays end up being sacks and not interceptions though.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Team archer said:

Can you imagine if Sam, the person we believe to be a FQB, permanently regresses because hes traumatized from how disgraceful this line has been? Probably another 15 years before we get a qb as promising as him from the draft 

He won't progress until they get rid of Gase.

• Upvote 3

One of his biggest issues is that when things aren’t going well he tends to play reckless football. That’s when sacks and INTs happen with him (only 2 of his 10 INTs came when the Jets had a lead).

If you notice his play seems to deteriorate once the team is down a few scores. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, thshadow said:

I like looking at individual plays, both good and bad.  It's good to know where he can improve, then we can see next year if he has the same problems or if they go away.

For balance, here's a good play - except for ugh the drop

This drop pissed me off, perfect throw, amazing timing and read.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Once again, Adam Gase is not a teacher.  Sam’s footwork has regressed this year.  Gase is nothing more than a glorified passing game coordinator and we better hope he’s fired after next season.  A smart owner would just let Joe Douglas pick another HC.

Footwork is high school stuff 

22 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

How can you expect any QB to overcome sh-t like this?

Sam is not the problem and won’t be the problem - just protect this kid and get him a weapon or two that can make plays for him instead of him having to be perfect. 

I like Sam. I’m hopeful about Sam. But this was the exact same stuff we were writing in defense of Sanchez not too long ago

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

We were saying Sanchez needs a better OL?  lmfao.  No.

Night day and difference to what Sanchez walked into vs. what Sam walked into.

Terrible comparison.  

Sanchez was one the worst starting QB in the NFL (statistically) Darnold is one of the worst QBs in the NFL.

Its year 2. If it acts like bust, talks like a bust, and looks like a bust it’s probably a bust. He’s 22 so perhaps he can turn it around, but I honestly believe we are spinning our wheels with him and Gase. 

• Thumb Down 5
  • WTF? 1

7 hours ago, Snell41 said:

He’s 22. Friggin 22. Kids will be coming in this years draft that are older still.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

This is true but I have to say I'm getting tired of people stating his age as an exclamation point on something or as an excuse. He's been in the NFL for almost 2 full seasons now. Does his age really matter at this point?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RonaldJet said:

Sanchez was one the worst starting QB in the NFL (statistically) Darnold is one of the worst QBs in the NFL.

Its year 2. If it acts like bust, talks like a bust, and looks like a bust it’s probably a bust. He’s 22 so perhaps he can turn it around, but I honestly believe we are spinning our wheels with him and Gase. 

Wow, over the top and wrong

Sanchez had lots of talent around him and sucked

Darnolds bad games can be attributed to a lack of talent

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

This is true but I have to say I'm getting tired of people stating his age as an exclamation point on something or as an excuse. He's been in the NFL for almost 2 full seasons now. Does his age really matter at this point?

Yes, actually. It does.

• Upvote 2

The play in question is definitely on Sam. He has to be faster on his read and especially since he seems to realize that he has less time then he wants. He feels the pressure but doesn’t dump it off which is all about his decision making.

However, I just don’t think Darnold was bad against Cincinnati. There are concerns- arm strength, deep ball accuracy, hero ball tendencies, being a front runner - but this game, his team failed.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Talk about micro criticism. His 1st read isn't a check down, he's bringing his head back to his 2nd read & a defender is already on him. Because Sam normally gets 1.4 seconds to scan the field behind this horrific Oline (Clearly the worst in the entire league, thanks Macc), when he gets 2 seconds Jet fans call that TIME IN THE POCKET. 

It's laughable! Watch Redzone & count how many seconds some of these other QBs are getting. There is no doubt in my mind Sam is gun shy about the time he gets & instead of just running pass plays he's also got a clock in his head knowing he has to RUSH every play. It's mentally tiring playing behind a bad Oline. Sams up & down because he's mentally shot this year, getting chased around by really fast 280Lb dudes that run 4.4s will do that to you. Just imagine playing an entire season without a run game to balance the offense? Really, try to imagine NOT HAVING A RUNNING GAME, because we don't. Every game we play is on Sam to make plays to win. 

Take the running game away 100% from any of these winning teams and their QBs & see how they perform. It's disgusting what Macc did to this team regarding the ignoring the Oline for 5 years. 

yep.  yes he coulda, shoulda made the pass to bell but bell would've been there after he scanned the field for a better throw.  isn't that what qb's are supposed to do?

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think so.  He's a 22 year old kid being asked to save one of the worst franchises in all of sports and the expectation from many around here that he should be a perfect product with 22 starts under his belt playing on arguably the worst teams in the league, behind the worst OL, on his 2nd most likely terrible HC, 2nd GM and his team is completely decimated by injuries.  90% of the QB's in the league cant overcome that type of adversity but the expectation around here is a 22 year old kid with limited experience should be doing just that?  It's truly absurd.  As I've said before, I could argue it's impressive in itself that he's 4-5 as a starter in this mess.  This team is trash.  I had them winning 6 maybe 7 games with everything break right, Darnold taking the next step and a healthy roster and he's going to pretty much meet expectations from a W perspective all the while improving in every passing category year over year.

Sam was not the problem vs. the Bills, Dolphins and Bengals.  If anything, he was the only one keeping the team competitive in those matches.  NE/Jax is a different story but yes, age is a factor when your expectation is that a 22 year old kid can overcome all this sh*t.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1