How many picks do we have in the 2020 draft?

Jets723

6 hours ago, Jets723 said:

It didn’t make sense to trade him UNLESS they got the offer they wanted.  Yes Adams can be a pain but trading him for the sake of trading him for a lesser offer would hurt us more 

Yeah sure I'm not disagreeing...I mean his job is to listen...if the right trade comes sure take it, help the team sure..BUT the dude blasted the team - you can't have that on the squad. 

Im now firmly in the you have to move on get, get something for him if you can but if he gets away with it, inmates run the prison and add a weak ass coach...total disfunction.

He gots to go

9 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Yeah I need to get AT LEAST a 1st and a 2nd for Adams given his age and coming off this year especially 

I think Adams is worth a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick.  He is really worth 2 #1's, but that won't happen.  If we don't get the 2nd 1st round pick, then we need two picks besides a 1st rounder.

Let's put it this way:  Would you trade your 6th pick in the first round for the #18 pick in the draft, plus the #50 pick in the draft?

I wouldn't do it.  Not enough.  Now, knowing that the 6th pick in the draft is the best safety in the NFL, and he is 24 years old, would you do it now for the #18 pick and the #50 pick?

The answer is that you wouldn't make the deal.  Why????

Because you wouldn't trade a known quantity for an unknown quantity unless it is worth the risk.

The #18 and the #50 pick is not worth the risk.  You must sweeten the pot, or the deal doesn't get done.

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:
9: R1P9
OT TRISTAN WIRFS
IOWA
41: R2P9
G BEN BREDESON
MICHIGAN
66: R3P2
RB CLYDE EDWARDS-HELAIRE
LSU
73: R3P9
OT JEDRICK WILLS
ALABAMA
115: R4P9
WR DONOVAN PEOPLES-JONES
MICHIGAN
152: R5P8
CB ERIC STOKES
GEORGIA
187: R6P9
WR TYLER JOHNSON
MINNESOTA

Not bad, but I want a Center in there somewhere and I want a WR earlier than Round 4 somehow.  Trade back in Round 1 to get an additional 2nd then go....

1st - OT

2nd - WR

2nd - Center

3rd - OT

4th - CB

5th....

7 hours ago, Alka said:

I think Adams is worth a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick.  He is really worth 2 #1's, but that won't happen.  If we don't get the 2nd 1st round pick, then we need two picks besides a 1st rounder.

Let's put it this way:  Would you trade your 6th pick in the first round for the #18 pick in the draft, plus the #50 pick in the draft?

I wouldn't do it.  Not enough.  Now, knowing that the 6th pick in the draft is the best safety in the NFL, and he is 24 years old, would you do it now for the #18 pick and the #50 pick?

The answer is that you wouldn't make the deal.  Why????

Because you wouldn't trade a known quantity for an unknown quantity unless it is worth the risk.

The #18 and the #50 pick is not worth the risk.  You must sweeten the pot, or the deal doesn't get done.

Agree with the draft compensation needing to be better, but how does a new expensive contract factor into the draft pick compensation?

we only got a 3 and 5 for Len Williams in part because he needs to be re signed and won’t be cheap

19 hours ago, Beerfish said:

We need more picks and more high picks. 

I don't see our gm or our owner having the balls to make the hard and bold choices though.

And you came to this conclusion how? You have no f*cking idea what our new GM will do? 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Beerfish said:
9: R1P9
OT TRISTAN WIRFS
IOWA
41: R2P9
G BEN BREDESON
MICHIGAN
66: R3P2
RB CLYDE EDWARDS-HELAIRE
LSU
73: R3P9
OT JEDRICK WILLS
ALABAMA
115: R4P9
WR DONOVAN PEOPLES-JONES
MICHIGAN
152: R5P8
CB ERIC STOKES
GEORGIA
187: R6P9
WR TYLER JOHNSON
MINNESOTA

I did a simulated draft at The Draft Network, their big board is a little more realistic right now.  Here’s what I came up with.  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

What if draft picks for the best Safety in the NFL and our best defensive player not a smart move. 

If I wanted to accumulate an additional Draft pick or two I would much rather prefer TRADING BACK in Round 1 (say from #9 to #14) to instead of trading away the one true difference maker we have on Defense right now.  I know JA plays a "non premium" position but the Jets line him up in premium spots and premium opportunities to make a stop (Dak's 2-point conversion attempt, Daniel Jones on 4th down sneak), get sacks or cause fumbles.  He's a kind of Swiss Army knife and there will come a day that the other things on the team are good enough that we'll really need a guy like this.

4 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Agree with the draft compensation needing to be better, but how does a new expensive contract factor into the draft pick compensation?

we only got a 3 and 5 for Len Williams in part because he needs to be re signed and won’t be cheap

My response to you is with a question: "How does Leonard Williams impact the defense?"

The answer is that he doesn't impact the defense at all.  He doesn't get sacks, he doesn't blow up plays and change the complexion of the game.  Add to it that the Jets have defensive lineman who are just as capable as Leonard Williams was, and you make Williams expendable.

Now, you change Leonard Williams with Jamal Adams, who is someone who does impact the defense, and can change the complexion of a game, and add to the fact that we don't have another safety who does the things that Jamal does, and we would need to replace Jamal with at least a starter, and you have the reasons why it may be worth keeping Jamal with paying him equitable money that he is justified in getting.

I don't believe you get rid of players with the most important reason being that you will need to "pay them big bucks".

You get rid of players who don't impact the game to the degree that paying that player big bucks would not justify their impact to the game.  

Now, you might say that Jamal is a safety and doesn't impact the game in a significant way, but it is my opinion that Jamal has at least proven to me that he does impact the game, and that is why other teams are willing to pay probably dearly for him.

19 minutes ago, Alka said:

My response to you is with a question: "How does Leonard Williams impact the defense?"

The answer is that he doesn't impact the defense at all.  He doesn't get sacks, he doesn't blow up plays and change the complexion of the game.  Add to it that the Jets have defensive lineman who are just as capable as Leonard Williams was, and you make Williams expendable.

Now, you change Leonard Williams with Jamal Adams, who is someone who does impact the defense, and can change the complexion of a game, and add to the fact that we don't have another safety who does the things that Jamal does, and we would need to replace Jamal with at least a starter, and you have the reasons why it may be worth keeping Jamal with paying him equitable money that he is justified in getting.

I don't believe you get rid of players with the most important reason being that you will need to "pay them big bucks".

You get rid of players who don't impact the game to the degree that paying that player big bucks would not justify their impact to the game.  

Now, you might say that Jamal is a safety and doesn't impact the game in a significant way, but it is my opinion that Jamal has at least proven to me that he does impact the game, and that is why other teams are willing to pay probably dearly for him.

Ok. Reverse the situation

you are Joe Douglas and you have an average player at safety

you like Adams game and appreciate that he would be a positive addition to your team but if you trade for him you need to sign him long term 

what would you trade to get Adams and what are you prepared to pay him to keep him ?

3 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Ok. Reverse the situation

you are Joe Douglas and you have an average player at safety

you like Adams game and appreciate that he would be a positive addition to your team but if you trade for him you need to sign him long term 

what would you trade to get Adams and what are you prepared to pay him to keep him ?

I would be happy to trade him for a mid-round 1st draft pick, along with (2) two third  round draft picks.  

The reason I offer this is because I think that this will get it done.  If I am the Dallas Cowboys, and the Jets rejected this offer, I would sweeten it to:  Dallas's first round pick, (1) second round pick for 2021, and (1) 2020 third round pick.  Remember, Dallas's 1st round pick is mid round, and you never know what you will get at that slot.  Now, if the 1st round pick was a top 5 pick, I'm not sure I make that deal.  A top 5 player should be a game changer, and if I had that pick, my needs would be more than that of a quality safety.

I would pay Jamal a (5) year deal for a total of $70,000,000.00.  I would guarantee $40,000,000.00 of that money.  Right now, the top (3) NFL safeties are making an average of $14M per year, and there is no reason to try to lowball Jamal.  

14 minutes ago, Alka said:

I would be happy to trade him for a mid-round 1st draft pick, along with (2) two third  round draft picks.  

The reason I offer this is because I think that this will get it done.  If I am the Dallas Cowboys, and the Jets rejected this offer, I would sweeten it to:  Dallas's first round pick, (1) second round pick for 2021, and (1) 2020 third round pick.  Remember, Dallas's 1st round pick is mid round, and you never know what you will get at that slot.  Now, if the 1st round pick was a top 5 pick, I'm not sure I make that deal.  A top 5 player should be a game changer, and if I had that pick, my needs would be more than that of a quality safety.

I would pay Jamal a (5) year deal for a total of $70,000,000.00.  I would guarantee $40,000,000.00 of that money.  Right now, the top (3) NFL safeties are making an average of $14M per year, and there is no reason to try to lowball Jamal.  

Our record isnt much worse than Dallas and they have salary cap issues with paying Dak and Zeke but you think they will give up three high picks to pay Adams 14 mill a yr? 

FWIW  I dont.