Monster Mash Mafia - Game Thread

Leelou

16 hours ago, Nolder said:

Nope. Can you explain it to me?

You are told you can't be trusted, and you go on about how you have a rep for being a sincere townie......and then tack on that you try to emulate your town game as scum.....which would be faking the sincerity.

Do you not understand the point I'm making?

Ok seriously though I think Verbal might be the last scum. Yeah, he has been kind of...zoned out for games lately and I believe him when he said he just doesn't take them as seriously anymore. It's more a time to hang out with friends than anything. I believe that is 100% true. I also believe that Verbal has a bit of a reputation for lurking as scum, especially early game like on D1. I think that's what was happening.

When he came back it did look like he was putting in some effort and gameplay but tbh it wasn't gameplay I really liked although at the time I was just happy he was posting. I believe he cited Stark as having good posts no less than 3 times (we can double check if you want) and, well, you all know how I felt about Starks posts. I was really baffled by Verbal not just rolling with it but actively reaffirming them as good posts I just decided to sit on it and not fight too many battles at once. Plus I was still considering lynching 80 as an alternative at the time so it wasn't really making sense to me that Verbal would be the second guy. I was pretty torn but I knew I had a primary objective so I just set it all aside.

Now that that's out in the open I'll give Verbal a chance to respond before taking this any further.

On 1/26/2020 at 2:33 PM, CTM said:

Hrm.. pingy a bit from a meets sense 

Not sure what meta CTM meant here really.  I'll have to see if he ever explained.  

He also ripped on me for using meta to accuse him.  Admittedly I didn't have anything firm on him.  But neither did CTM have anything on me at the time.  

48 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

CTM doubles down on Verbal here.  At this point this vote makes sense given the nearness of the deadline and Verbal's newest disappearance.  

I feel like a lot has been made out of activity this game.  I posted Wed afternoon, and had not yet come back to the thread on Thurs when you posted the quote within your post here.  Not sure one day to the next qualifies as a disappearance.  Honestly, at this point it's starting to get silly and tired.

5 minutes ago, Verbal said:

You are told you can't be trusted, and you go on about how you have a rep for being a sincere townie......and then tack on that you try to emulate your town game as scum.....which would be faking the sincerity.

Do you not understand the point I'm making?

Did you miss the part where I have trouble faking it which imo is a big part of why I suck at being scum?

On 1/26/2020 at 11:04 PM, Spoot-Face said:

Looking back, this post doesn't sit right with me. This is his first reaction to my first vote on 80 that put him at L-1, and Crusher and 80's votes on me that followed.

He only says Crusher's vote makes sense, not 80's. (FWIW, they BOTH made sense)

Also subtlety hints that maybe 80 and me are scum, even though I just put 80 at L-1?

Then throws more shade on 80.

This post alone makes me want to vote Stark, but I'll wait until I conclude my re-read.

Another good post from Spoot.  Yeah, it's gonna be real hard to convince me to vote Spoot today.

4 minutes ago, Nolder said:

Ok seriously though I think Verbal might be the last scum. Yeah, he has been kind of...zoned out for games lately and I believe him when he said he just doesn't take them as seriously anymore. It's more a time to hang out with friends than anything. I believe that is 100% true. I also believe that Verbal has a bit of a reputation for lurking as scum, especially early game like on D1. I think that's what was happening.

When he came back it did look like he was putting in some effort and gameplay but tbh it wasn't gameplay I really liked although at the time I was just happy he was posting. I believe he cited Stark as having good posts no less than 3 times (we can double check if you want) and, well, you all know how I felt about Starks posts. I was really baffled by Verbal not just rolling with it but actively reaffirming them as good posts I just decided to sit on it and not fight too many battles at once. Plus I was still considering lynching 80 as an alternative at the time so it wasn't really making sense to me that Verbal would be the second guy. I was pretty torn but I knew I had a primary objective so I just set it all aside.

Now that that's out in the open I'll give Verbal a chance to respond before taking this any further.

No, you have it wrong.  I used to lurk as scum when Leelou was my teammate (which happened all the ******* time, ask her).  We sucked at interacting with each other when scummates, so I got into the habit of sitting back a little more.  That said, my lurking is not the same regardless of alignment.  I used to be in the top half of post counts and then I just wasn't.  Alignment was not a part of it - my not taking the game seriously anymore is all of it.

Simple as that.

2 minutes ago, Nolder said:

Did you miss the part where I have trouble faking it which imo is a big part of why I suck at being scum?

Nope, I totally get that.  It just looks bad to me posting about how you're honest and then literally saying you fake that honesty when scum.  The point is, why would I take anything you say as legit, then?  That was the point being made.

5 minutes ago, Verbal said:

I feel like a lot has been made out of activity this game.  I posted Wed afternoon, and had not yet come back to the thread on Thurs when you posted the quote within your post here.  Not sure one day to the next qualifies as a disappearance.  Honestly, at this point it's starting to get silly and tired.

Fair enough.  If you want the complaints to stop, I'm gonna need you to convince me why I shouldn't vote you and make some cases rather than just playing defense.  

You made some pretty good hardline stances in my re-read, primarily on D2 I believe.  Getting the Stark read wrong read to me as a townie mistake by you.  Now give me a reason to vote CTM.  I won't follow you on Spoot or Nolder today but feel free to case them too.  

1 minute ago, Verbal said:

Nope, I totally get that.  It just looks bad to me posting about how you're honest and then literally saying you fake that honesty when scum.  The point is, why would I take anything you say as legit, then?  That was the point being made.

Everyone tries to fake it as scum. The point was that I'm good at being sincere when I'm town and not good at faking it. I believe your point is stupid in the context of mine.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fair enough.  If you want the complaints to stop, I'm gonna need you to convince me why I shouldn't vote you and make some cases rather than just playing defense.  

You made some pretty good hardline stances in my re-read, primarily on D2 I believe.  Getting the Stark read wrong read to me as a townie mistake by you.  Now give me a reason to vote CTM.  I won't follow you on Spoot or Nolder today but feel free to case them too.  

It's a little difficult to go on the offensive when I have 2 people coming at me and I need to defend.  While we might have a mislynch available, I'm not keen on that being me.

The way I defended Stark is literally the way I defend as a townie all the time - every game I've ever played as town.  Not that I'm telling you to research that, but it's a fact.

Also re: activity - I'm less than 10 posts behind CTM.  Why the **** is everybody up my ass about it?  How does that make me want to bother?

I've not liked Spoot and Nolder at points in this game, but really I can add you to that as well - the flurry of posts to open this day looks like a scum player trying to circle their prey and waiting for somebody else to jump in.

• Upvote 1

On 1/27/2020 at 11:05 AM, The Crusher said:

I agre with this, but my challenge is when I've liked Starks post he was scum. But I do agree he's approaching the game in the right way. I still think Spoot stinks to high heaven. Since I'm an 80 expert I need to read him. But, this weird "I'm defeated" thing he's doing. Just weird and not typical scum for him. He plays scum in the "follow me to victory" vein. Not "wah, wah, wah, everybody is a meanie" way. 

Crusher believed Spoot was scummy pretty much right up until the end.  Worth noting.  

3 minutes ago, Nolder said:

Everyone tries to fake it as scum. The point was that I'm good at being sincere when I'm town and not good at faking it. I believe your point is stupid in the context of mine.

Yeah you missed the point, it's ok.

• Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, Verbal said:

No, you have it wrong.  I used to lurk as scum when Leelou was my teammate (which happened all the ******* time, ask her).  We sucked at interacting with each other when scummates, so I got into the habit of sitting back a little more.  That said, my lurking is not the same regardless of alignment.  I used to be in the top half of post counts and then I just wasn't.  Alignment was not a part of it - my not taking the game seriously anymore is all of it.

Simple as that.

Mmmm

I do remember you being teammates pretty often so I'll give you that. And yes I know you are/were capable of posting a lot in the past, when you wanted to. I still recall you having a meta for lurking as scum though. It's more of a ghost of a memory because hey we've all been playing for years now but I seem to recall this being a thing. I also recall you lurking more as town power role (although not to the same extent as scum). I think you were most active as vanilla town like most people but if you were scum or got a PR you lurked, at least for awhile, and then tried to reemerge after the chaos of the first day or two settled. That's what I remember.

3 minutes ago, Verbal said:

I've not liked Spoot and Nolder at points in this game, but really I can add you to that as well - the flurry of posts to open this day looks like a scum player trying to circle their prey and waiting for somebody else to jump in.

No this is me collecting new information in light of Stark's scum flip.  I don't give two sh*ts whether someone else votes you or not.  

I've been on Spoot's case for both D1 and D2.  And to a lesser extent CTM.  It's only now that I'm looking at you as a candidate.

I'm going to be hit or miss today, sorry guys, gals and verbal. I have ownership in town and they are like hammering jello to a wall in terms of scheduling..

Based on notifications im assuming 80 is casing me. I havent reread the non lynch last night to see who looked good or bad in it, so I cant really comment on who I would vote considering we had confirmed  scum as a train so it should be the most informative thing that's happened thus far

1 minute ago, Verbal said:

It's a little difficult to go on the offensive when I have 2 people coming at me and I need to defend.  While we might have a mislynch available, I'm not keen on that being me.

The way I defended Stark is literally the way I defend as a townie all the time - every game I've ever played as town.  Not that I'm telling you to research that, but it's a fact.

Also re: activity - I'm less than 10 posts behind CTM.  Why the **** is everybody up my ass about it?  How does that make me want to bother?

I've said all I have to say at the moment. If you want to explain why you thought Stark had such good reads you can but if you want to case someone go ahead. Day just started we have time (famous last words lol).

On 1/27/2020 at 11:10 AM, Stark said:

recap from the weekend. 

Crusher - slight scum. his initial questioning about spoot seemed like a sarcastic comment in the game. as it has progressed and other players are questioning him on it, he has said he was serious because he didn't want to go back and read the opening post in the game. the way Crush has handled the questions is coming off as all jokes which has my attention.  

Verbal - town. not a lot of content but i haven't felt like anything he's said has pinged.

CTM - neutral. 

80 - leaning scum. not opening the game with verb vote. has made comments about how epic he plays as scum. this would be 80 to try to pound his chest and claim he's a great scum player while being scum. the pause i have is his similar read of spoot. 

Nolder - leaning scum. The end of D1 and the whole spoot thing is not sitting well with me. His OMGUS claim of me and 80 being scum because we voted him. and the way that once D2 started he says he was trying to set a trap, which would make you think he's gotta be a DOC if he's trying to draw an NK as he's said or he was a day cop. apparently neither are true. 

Spoot - tough one. I see a bit of cleverness to his game so far. I read him as scum early and even through the nolder claim. Today (D2) i have slightly leaned towards neutral based on his posts over the weekend and this morning. I am not clearing him in my mind, based on the posts since the random lynch debacle. 

As of right now this is what i see. scum to town in order

80, nolder, crush, spoot, CTM, Verb

Stark lists Verbal as town here.  This aligns with his unwillingness to vote Verbal and instead choosing JC on D1.  

CTM as "neutral".  Weird.  He has at least a sentence on every other player but just a one-word read on CTM.  

He puts me and Verbal on opposite ends, with Spoot more in the middle of his reads.  

Very interesting.

5 minutes ago, Nolder said:

Mmmm

I do remember you being teammates pretty often so I'll give you that. And yes I know you are/were capable of posting a lot in the past, when you wanted to. I still recall you having a meta for lurking as scum though. It's more of a ghost of a memory because hey we've all been playing for years now but I seem to recall this being a thing. I also recall you lurking more as town power role (although not to the same extent as scum). I think you were most active as vanilla town like most people but if you were scum or got a PR you lurked, at least for awhile, and then tried to reemerge after the chaos of the first day or two settled. That's what I remember.

That part is accurate - I went through a stretch where I needed to adjust my game to fix that as scum were picking me off early as a result.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Stark lists Verbal as town here.  This aligns with his unwillingness to vote Verbal and instead choosing JC on D1.  

CTM as "neutral".  Weird.  He has at least a sentence on every other player but just a one-word read on CTM.  

He puts me and Verbal on opposite ends, with Spoot more in the middle of his reads.  

Very interesting.

It makes sense to not vote someone you have is town.

The question is why did he have Verbal as town?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 1/27/2020 at 11:13 AM, Verbal said:

Re: Spoot:  he's playing careful, and it looks too careful.  Throwing shade, and then slightly altering his stance when nobody jumps on, and backtracking when needed so he can then pivot and go in another direction.  To me, it looks clearly like scum play.

Vote: Spoot

Once again Verbal's views on the game fairly closely align with mine.  Good vote here.

Just now, Verbal said:

That part is accurate - I went through a stretch where I needed to adjust my game to fix that as scum were picking me off early as a result.

Off topic but did you ever accomplish that?

I tried changing my game style several times and always failed.

I've pretty much given up and just accepted that meta will make or break my game every time.

You know who knows my scum meta very well? Like to the point I almost don't like playing with him? AJ

If we're both in a game and he's calling me scum it's worth it to mislynch me just on his word alone because the dude almost always pegs me as scum especially if he has several days to do it.

On 1/28/2020 at 7:20 AM, Nolder said:

I don't disagree with this (nice to see you FINALLY join the game for real ?) but I am preeetttty set on the scum team being 80/Stark. If for some reason one of them flips town I'd be happy to take a second look at Spoot but for now I'm going to chalk it up to clueless townie syndrome.

Nolder was 50 % correct here, so that's solid.  He made a flurry of townie posts here.  Further confirming my unwillingness to vote Nolder today.  

I have a weird feeling that the main players in this discussion are all town.  We all sound the same and I can see little bits of annoyance creeping into posts and we're starting to circle each other.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Nolder can probably back me up here, but long ago on DM we had a habit of scum hunting late in games based on who flipped scum read as neutral (or no read at all).  Not for nothing, but this is where I'm going to look into for today.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Nolder said:

Off topic but did you ever accomplish that?

I tried changing my game style several times and always failed.

I've pretty much given up and just accepted that meta will make or break my game every time.

For a little while, yes.  It helped by playing vanilla as if I had information or the ability to obtain it.  It sometimes drew an early NK, which sucks as I wanted to play, but good when I was vanilla.

Then I came to DM and got blind speedlynched as the Doc, lost my ******* mind on a rant, and have never fully recovered emotionally.

*tear*

• Haha 3