Anyone buying stock this week ?

Dunnie

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Kid # 3 starts college in the fall. We have 4 private school tuition payments left (high school for youngest son). But that wraps up 20 years of catholic school payments.

Those are all a longer way of saying, the account doesn't have 25k in it.  :)

I am not much of a day trader. I have money mostly in Index funds. Just don't have the time to feel safe managing stock investments.  Not until I sell JetNation anyhow lol.

So what's catholic school in NJ go for?  I sent my kids to Catholic here in NC and it is about 8K-12K (depending on grade)  a year plus fees. My understanding is that it's a bit cheaper in NY/NJ???  When they went to college (UNC and NC State) it didn't seem to hurt as much.

I'm of the opinion that inflation is way above what it's been for the last few years.  Food prices are sky high.  There are shortages of everything and commodity prices are rising fast.  Granted there is a lot of slack in potential future labor as vaccine roll out continues but we could be in for inflation with the fed having to take money out of supply instead of putting it in supply.   I think this will be terrible for both stocks and bonds.  I have a fair amount of TIPS as an inflation hedge.  Not a fan of Gold or crypto.  Any good suggestions?

• Upvote 1

I saw this posted by a colleague of mine on Linked In.  Pretty Impressive

BORING IS BEAUTIFUL: HORMEL FOODS - IS YOUR PORTFOLIO BEING SPAMMED?

?On January 1, 1990, if you had purchased $1,000 worth of Hormel Foods stock and reinvested dividends, your stock would now be worth $329,042 (as of 1/28/2021). That averaged a 20.5% annual return.

?Had you purchased an additional $1,000 of stock every year on January 1 (or the first trading day of the year), you would now have $1,603,388 (19.66% annual return).

? Had you continued to add annually, the annual dividend would be approximately $31,105 or 97% yield on cost ($31,105 divided by $32,000 total investment).

Identify companies that you intend to own forever that people continue to use regardless of what is happening in the world.
NOTE: Hormel Foods is the maker of Spam.

*This is not a recommendation. This example is for illustrative purposes only. Dividends are not guaranteed. *

1612357925727.thumb.jpg.558eb785bb5f1a8af64e2ff2880a2200.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 2/2/2021 at 11:18 AM, southparkcpa said:

So what's catholic school in NJ go for?  I sent my kids to Catholic here in NC and it is about 8K-12K (depending on grade)  a year plus fees. My understanding is that it's a bit cheaper in NY/NJ???  When they went to college (UNC and NC State) it didn't seem to hurt as much.

Catholic high school here now is in the $12,000 - $17,000 range depending on the school. We are on year 12 for this high school so we are a bit lower than the low side. But that is list price.

I think grammar school is like 6k now per year. For us it was putting all three of them through it that added up.  Well worth it for us, we just have less money as a result.  :)

17 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Catholic high school here now is in the $12,000 - $17,000 range depending on the school. We are on year 12 for this high school so we are a bit lower than the low side. But that is list price.

I think grammar school is like 6k now per year. For us it was putting all three of them through it that added up.  Well worth it for us, we just have less money as a result.  :)

Agreed. No regrets here. I have met many great friends etc...  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Agreed. No regrets here. I have met many great friends etc...  

The school my kids went to announced they were closing. Then the community jumped in, donors kicked in and saved it. They raised over a million dollars.  I feel like that taught my kids more than anything they will ever learn in a text book.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...