Which of the Jets 22 UFA would I bring back if I were GM?

Jets have 22 Unrestricted Free Agents off last year's team, here is my ranking from most desirable to re-sign with the Jets to least desirable.

(Of course, it all depends on contract/salary/cap hit, but this is assuming a market-value contract)

1. 11 - Robby Anderson 6'3" 190 Temple (WR)     - Don't break the bank, but he's a good NFL WR with deep speed
  2.   4 - Lachlan Edwards 6'4" 215 Sam Houston State (P)   - Thought he was above average to good most of last year
  3. 48 - Jordan Jenkins 6'3" 259 Georgia (OLB) -   At a fair price, he'd be good to bring back
  4. 77 - Tom Compton 6'6" 314 South Dakota (G/T)    - solid vet backup/part time starter on the OL with a decent contract
  5. 19 - Trevor Siemian 6'3" 220  Northwestern  (QB)   - Knows Gase's system, solid vet backup
  6. 51 - Brandon Copeland 6'3" 263 Penn (OLB) - We need backup OLBs, and Copeland is solid
  7. 18 - Demaryius Thomas 6'3" 225 Georgia Tech (WR) - Injuries are, of course, a concern, but if he's healthy, ok
  8. 41 - Matthais Farley 5'11" 204  Temple (S) - Only have 2 safeties on the roster and he knows the system
  9. 45 - Rontez Miles 6'1" 210 California (PA) (S)  - Can't stay healthy, but a solid backup 
  10. 88 - Ty Montgomery 6'0" 216 Stanford  (RB/WR) - not a fan of any of our backup RBs, if we don't sign/draft someone, bring him back  
  11. 68 - Kelvin Beachum 6"3" 303  SMU (T) -  at the right price, for one more year..........maybe    
  12. 29 - Bilal Powell 5'10 205 Louisville (RB) -  looked great at times last year, I think the world of him, but he's a bit old, might be done
  13.   5 - David Fales 6'2" 213 San Jose State (QB) - Could be a decent addition if we keep 3 QBs with the new 55 man roster       
  14. 46 - Neville Hewitt 6'2" 234 Marshall (ILB) - Lots of ILBs in front of him, but a solid vet and special teamer - if Williamson is moved, maybe 
  15. 79 - Brent Qvale 6'7 315 Nebraska (G/T) - The big lug can at least go out there and fill a couple of holes, but might be too pricey at his age   
  16. 39 - Bennett Jackson 6'0" 192 Notre Dame (S) - Was surprised he wasn't offered a contract.......
  17. 37 - Maurice Canaday 6'1" 193 Virginia (CB) - Warm Body / Special Teamer
  18. 23 – Arthur Maulet 5’10” 190 Memphis (CB) - Warm Body / Special Teamer  
  19. 58 - James Burgess 6'0" 230 Louisville (ILB) - very surprised he wasn't offered a contract, but we have a logjam at ILB    
  20. 40 - Paul Worrilow 6'0" 230  Delaware (ILB)   
  21. 47 - Albert McClellan 6'2" 235 Marshall (ILB) 
  22. 55 - Ryan Kalil 6"2" 300 USC (C)   - Um.....no
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Jets have 22 Unrestricted Free Agents off last year's team, here is my ranking from most desirable to re-sign with the Jets to least desirable.

(Of course, it all depends on contract/salary/cap hit, but this is assuming a market-value contract)

1. 11 - Robby Anderson 6'3" 190 Temple (WR)     - Don't break the bank, but he's a good NFL WR with deep speed
  2.   4 - Lachlan Edwards 6'4" 215 Sam Houston State (P)   - Thought he was above average to good most of last year
  3. 48 - Jordan Jenkins 6'3" 259 Georgia (OLB) -   At a fair price, he'd be good to bring back
  4. 77 - Tom Compton 6'6" 314 South Dakota (G/T)    - solid vet backup/part time starter on the OL with a decent contract
  5. 19 - Trevor Siemian 6'3" 220  Northwestern  (QB)   - Knows Gase's system, solid vet backup
  6. 51 - Brandon Copeland 6'3" 263 Penn (OLB) - We need backup OLBs, and Copeland is solid
  7. 18 - Demaryius Thomas 6'3" 225 Georgia Tech (WR) - Injuries are, of course, a concern, but if he's healthy, ok
  8. 41 - Matthais Farley 5'11" 204  Temple (S) - Only have 2 safeties on the roster and he knows the system
  9. 45 - Rontez Miles 6'1" 210 California (PA) (S)  - Can't stay healthy, but a solid backup 
  10. 88 - Ty Montgomery 6'0" 216 Stanford  (RB/WR) - not a fan of any of our backup RBs, if we don't sign/draft someone, bring him back  
  11. 68 - Kelvin Beachum 6"3" 303  SMU (T) -  at the right price, for one more year..........maybe    
  12. 29 - Bilal Powell 5'10 205 Louisville (RB) -  looked great at times last year, I think the world of him, but he's a bit old, might be done
  13.   5 - David Fales 6'2" 213 San Jose State (QB) - Could be a decent addition if we keep 3 QBs with the new 55 man roster       
  14. 46 - Neville Hewitt 6'2" 234 Marshall (ILB) - Lots of ILBs in front of him, but a solid vet and special teamer - if Williamson is moved, maybe 
  15. 79 - Brent Qvale 6'7 315 Nebraska (G/T) - The big lug can at least go out there and fill a couple of holes, but might be too pricey at his age   
  16. 39 - Bennett Jackson 6'0" 192 Notre Dame (S) - Was surprised he wasn't offered a contract.......
  17. 37 - Maurice Canaday 6'1" 193 Virginia (CB) - Warm Body / Special Teamer
  18. 23 – Arthur Maulet 5’10” 190 Memphis (CB) - Warm Body / Special Teamer  
  19. 58 - James Burgess 6'0" 230 Louisville (ILB) - very surprised he wasn't offered a contract, but we have a logjam at ILB    
  20. 40 - Paul Worrilow 6'0" 230  Delaware (ILB)   
  21. 47 - Albert McClellan 6'2" 235 Marshall (ILB) 
  22. 55 - Ryan Kalil 6"2" 300 USC (C)   - Um.....no

Canady signed with Dallas.

I'll happily bring back Robby, Lach, Compton, Siemian, Copeland, Thomas and Burgess if the money is right

• Upvote 1

I think there’s a lot of guys on this list we should keep esp on D. Williams was able to build and develop an effective most of the time defense with non star players. I’m thinking Burgess, Hewitt, Jenkins. And if a good price keep Demaryius Thomas who played well for us last year. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MS jets Fan said:

I think he makes a play for Robbie but at 3-5 mil max a year.

Jenkins would be a good resign. He had a good year

Brandon Copeland is a depth add plays well when asked and doesn’t complain.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

That is not a play. It is an insult.  If Jenkins is asking for $12M he can take a walk.  Agree on Copeland, like Hewitt, they seem like good guys to have around.  One thing to consider is if they are considering comp picks.  That may be part of why they let these guys test the market.  So far Anderson would certainly more than offset Fant.  If any of these other guys get decent deals and the Jets big moves come through trades, cut players or they wait till past the date for free agents they might actually get some.  I think that is why they give some of these guys 1 year deals and let them test the market.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, MS jets Fan said:

I think he makes a play for Robbie but at 3-5 mil max a year.

Jenkins would be a good resign. He had a good year

Brandon Copeland is a depth add plays well when asked and doesn’t complain.

Robby is going to get at least 10 Mil a year. 3-5 is laughable

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Canady and Maulet were our starting corners for the last quarter of the season and you have them 17 and 18.

And he has Burgess 19! 2nd half of season Defensive MVP. JD needs to reward rank and file performance and bring him back

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, MS jets Fan said:

Well my true thought is 7-8 mil maybe for Robbie he’s still young, but he’s not a true #1. He does drop some catchable passes and his route running is limited.

A true #1 WR gets $20M/year on the open market (see: Cooper, Amari). You have a role player who averages 15 yards a catch, gets you 7-800 yards a season with a half dozen TDs, that has significant value. This year, the WR market is extremely depressed with all the talent coming out of college. There haven't really been any rumors swirling around Robby, and that could easily be because the Jets currently have the highest bid on the table for him. If he resigns for under $10M, I'll be both surprised and happy. I'd think most JD and Robby detractors would have to feel the same. 

• Upvote 1

A true #1 WR gets $20M/year on the open market (see: Cooper, Amari). You have a role player who averages 15 yards a catch, gets you 7-800 yards a season with a half dozen TDs, that has significant value. This year, the WR market is extremely depressed with all the talent coming out of college. There haven't really been any rumors swirling around Robby, and that could easily be because the Jets currently have the highest bid on the table for him. If he resigns for under $10M, I'll be both surprised and happy. I'd think most JD and Robby detractors would have to feel the same. 

Well we will find out eventually!

13 hours ago, doublel9 said:

And he has Burgess 19! 2nd half of season Defensive MVP. JD needs to reward rank and file performance and bring him back

Maybe JD is rewarding him by letting him test the free agent market with the possibility of being a starter or primary backup somewhere else.  Perhaps the Jets plan on keeping Avery and have Cashman as the primary backup.  This would only allow Burgess significant playing time if there were injuries.  Whereas he could sign with another team and get more playing time.  If no other teams sign him, maybe the Jets offer him a contract heading into camp.