MOCK DRAFT: JETSY PICKS/REALISTIC DRAFT

PepPep

So I thought I would do a mock where things didn't quite work out perfectly for the Jets. Every single draft simulator has unrealistic prospects fall and Jet fans presume trade downs will happen allowing the Jets to take the player they want and net a draft pick on top of it. It just doesn't work that way. I ran a simulator and passed on certain prospects I felt would have been gone in real life by the time our selection rolled around. I also tried to select players I would envision the Jets pulling the trigger on, either because they were linked to them in some way or b/c of need or because it just makes sense for them to draft said player. Not just because I liked him as a prospect. This is what I ended up with. 

NO TRADE! I usually trade with the Falcons and net an extra 2nd round pick. In this case I felt that going down to 16 would be too risky because I would lose out on a top OT. 

Rd. 1: Becton: I don't love the pick. In the simulation Wills was there but he would be gone in real life. Jeudy and Lamb were also there but I rolled the dice with Becton's upside and went with the massive OT. I'm not sure I would do that but I think that is what the Jets would do if that is how things transpired. I know people will say that Becton doesn't fit the mold of the athletic OT that Gase wants but I think with this kind of selection you are talking about a player who has the upside to be dominant in any scheme. Its not like Becton is limited athletically, he proved that at the combine. 

Rd. 2: Pittman: There were other options like CBs and Edge rushers but there was a run on WRs which I think is a realistic scenario so I decided to take one before it was too late. Hamler was there, as was Ayiuk but I went with Pittman. The Jets need a big target for Sam, he played with Sam at USC, it just makes a ton of sense. I think this would totally be a Jets pick. Not the pick I would make though, I love Claypool and he would be my selection out of that second tier of WRs. 

Rd. 3: B.Anae: I felt like this was a good spot for an edge rusher. I wasn't sure exactly who the Jets covet. I know a lot of people have been talking about Uche but to me he just doesn't make sense, he's too one-dimensional. I know a guy like Baun would be perfect. But odds are he goes bottom of Rd. 1/early second round. Maybe he falls to the Jets in Rd. 2 but unlikely. I guess if they really wanted Baun they could trade up in Rd. 2. In this case I'm mocking Anae, a balanced, high effort, skilled pass rusher with some upside limitations. I think GW will get the best out of him.  

Rd. 3: Jefferson: Double dipping at WR in the 3rd. This is another pick that makes a ton of sense for the Jets. Now that the Jets took a big target for Sam, here's an elite route runner who will drive defenders crazy. He also happens to be the son of a Jet coach. This isn't nepotism: however, Jefferson is a great player and is slotted to go right in this range, maybe early 4th. With Perriman, Crowder, Pittman, Jefferson and Herndon the Jets have receiving options for Sam who can line up all over the field and provide different ways to attack the defense. 

Rd. 4: A.McFarland: I've heard the Jets love this kid. He's explosive. Might be there in Rd. 5 but hey, if you really like a prospect, why allow him to slip out of your hands. So I have the Jets taking a speedy RB in Rd. 4. Personally I would take Gibson. But it seems like they like McFarland, I don't mind it at all. 

Rd. 5: K.Ismael: When people talk about why can't JD scout some O-linemen, why do we have to draft an OT in Rd. 1, well here you go. Ismael projects as a mobile C in the NFL and would fit the Jets system nicely. He will need some development and NFL conditioning, however, this is the kind of guy that after a year or two you can imagine being a really good starting C in YOUR offensive system. 

Rd. 6: Sixth Round is a toss up. We have two draft picks and you can go a number of ways. At this point I have a feeling the Jets pick up a developmental CB (N.Clarke, K.Vildor, D.Jackson) and another Edge/OLB (Tipa Galea'i, A.Kamara, T.Gibson) just depends on who is there. 

• Upvote 3

Pretty perfect while still realistic.

Bechton is the best prospect with the highest ceiling and lowest floor. Douglas is a scout at heart and scouts draft for upside. Love this pick.

I’d take Hamler over Pittman, but wouldn’t hate Pittman at all.

Love McFarland in the 4th.

and Adeniji or Driscoll (to play guard) in the 5th.

17 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Pretty perfect while still realistic.

Bechton is the best prospect with the highest ceiling and lowest floor. Douglas is a scout at heart and scouts draft for upside. Love this pick.

I’d take Hamler over Pittman, but wouldn’t hate Pittman at all.

Love McFarland in the 4th.

and Adeniji or Driscoll (to play guard) in the 5th.

Absolutely love your first two picks but I'd put off a passrusher until next year. IMO this passrushing class is a black hole and we saw that with the test results. Jefferson is a nice selection at that point although I think most people here are too high on McFarland. When I watched his tape I saw a guy that gets dropped at the LOS a ton.....then he busts one. 

Plus rep for making it realistic.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, RobR said:

Absolutely love your first two picks but I'd put off a passrusher until next year. IMO this passrushing class is a black hole and we saw that with the test results. Jefferson is a nice selection at that point although I think most people here are too high on McFarland. When I watched his tape I saw a guy that gets dropped at the LOS a ton.....then he busts one. 

Plus rep for making it realistic.

Fair point, but the guys we have currently also get dropped at the LOS a ton, but never break one.?

Nice mock and fun read. 

Becton would be a dream at #11, and the thing I like about Pittman & Jefferson is instant production at the position. Though they may not have that shiny ceiling, both are well development work horses. Sam would be laughing.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Paradis said:

Nice mock and fun read. 

Becton would be a dream at #11, and the thing I like about Pittman & Jefferson is instant production at the position. Though they may not have that shiny ceiling, both are well development work horses. Sam would be laughing.  

Id love Hamler in the 2nd and Jefferson in the 3rd.

Baun could be there in the 3rd, depends on how teams feel about the diluted tests.  Though some teams will brush it off, some may see it as an attempt to cover up and flush something out of your system.  UFC banned IV usage because it masked doping and caused diluted samples.

Love the Pittman pick.  Think Hamler goes earlier anyway, closer to the beginning of round 2.  

With the Jets touting speed at the WR position, anyway they go after a faster WR?  Both Pittman and Jefferson are not known to be speed guys.  Perhaps Reagor (though might be gone by 48) or a guy like Quez Watkins in the 4th?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

Baun could be there in the 3rd, depends on how teams feel about the diluted tests.  Though some teams will brush it off, some may see it as an attempt to cover up and flush something out of your system.  UFC banned IV usage because it masked doping and caused diluted samples.

Love the Pittman pick.  Think Hamler goes earlier anyway, closer to the beginning of round 2.  

With the Jets touting speed at the WR position, anyway they go after a faster WR?  Both Pittman and Jefferson are not known to be speed guys.  Perhaps Reagor (though might be gone by 48) or a guy like Quez Watkins in the 4th?

Yeah, not sure how the diluted test affects Bauns stock or how the failed drug test affects Bectons stock. 

I thought about the WR speed and Gases desire for speed at the position and kind of felt if the Jets were to go after a speedy WR they would do so really early (Ruggs, Jeudy, Hamler, Reagor, Mims) or they will go after one much later. Its kind of how the draft plays out as far as prospects. In this case I have them going after size early (Pittman) and more a specific targeted WR prospect in Jefferson. Lynn Bowden and Joe Reed are two speedy WR possibilities later in the draft that I considered.

But the Jets have Perriman, Jeff Smith, Berrios, J.Malone, and V.Smith already on the roster who are all burners. Some of these guys are clearly depth and may not even make the team, but clearly burners.  

The Jets have a huge advantage in terms of scouting on Jefferson especially given the lack of pre draft visits. If they are comfortable taking him in the 3rd then I’m all for it, however given that he’s going to be 24 when the season starts and not a really a flashy speed guy I would probably expect him to be there on day 3

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1