Last to post in this thread wins

Used to spend almost 2 hours each way every fricken day. :Nuts: It fricken sucks.

Ouch. Traffic here is pretty bad. I just hate the sheep mentality of bumper to bumper every morning to go to work. Using my bike gives me some freedom and I can zip through traffic.

Ouch. Traffic here is pretty bad. I just hate the sheep mentality of bumper to bumper every morning to go to work. Using my bike gives me some freedom and I can zip through traffic.

If I didn't end up moving out of the city I would have bought a bike for that same reason.

I've been here for three years and I honestly don't think I've heard that word used twice outside of radio broadcasts.

It's a very stilted way of speaking. Almost like antiquated, aristocratic, Italian. I would be like us saying "good morrow", instead of good morning to one of your friends.

It's a very stilted way of speaking. Almost like antiquated, aristocratic, Italian. I would be like us saying "good morrow", instead of good morning to one of your friends.

Please, my mother-in-law (suocera) just left. They spent the entire time speaking Sicilian, while I screamed "SPEAK ITALIAN!!" I can't understand Italian either, but it's still better than that crazy gutter talk! Then I went to practice. When I got home they had made rice balls (arancini) and all was forgiven.

Please, my mother-in-law (suocera) just left. They spent the entire time speaking Sicilian, while I screamed "SPEAK ITALIAN!!" I can't understand Italian either, but it's still better than that crazy gutter talk! Then I went to practice. When I got home they had made rice balls (arancini) and all was forgiven.

LOL. No joke: Even as someone who speaks Alighierian Italian, I could more easily understand French than a Sicilian dialect. I'm totally lost when they speak. What does your suocera put in the rice balls?

LOL. No joke: Even as someone who speaks Alighierian Italian, I could more easily understand French than a Sicilian dialect. What does your suocera put in the rice balls?

The secret dessert ones or the normal ones? Normal ones are just saffron rice around some ragu (tomato sauce/chopped meat/peas). The little dessert ones are smaller and saffron rice around a little blob of nutella. People always think they are disgusting until they eat one. Then I have to hide them. I think the only reason they are smaller is to tell the difference from the normal ones.

The secret dessert ones or the normal ones? Normal ones are just saffron rice around some ragu (tomato sauce/chopped meat/peas). The little dessert ones are smaller and saffron rice around a little blob of nutella. People always think they are disgusting until they eat one. Then I have to hide them. I think the only reason they are smaller is to tell the difference from the normal ones.

Thanks. They sound good. I remember eating Nutella sandwiches for lunch once in a while back in elementary school. Kids--even the Italian ones who weren't off the boat like me--thought I was insane. LOL. I wish I could give it to my son, but he has nut allergies.

Thanks. They sound good. I remember eating Nutella sandwiches for lunch once in a while back in elementary school. Kids--even the Italian ones who weren't off the boat like me--thought I was insane. LOL. I wish I could give it to my son, but he has nut allergies.

Two of the biggest advantages here are the fact the fruit and vegetables are routinely as good as any ever tasted (I could just sit popping cherry tomato after cherry tomato in my mouth like Pez) and the liberal use of hazelnuts.

Do you have a method for preserving olives? The suocera brought some up from her tree down south and we salted them, but when we jarred them in the fridge they started to get moldy. It's very frustrating. I don't want to eat them all in one sitting and I wanted to have a few left for when my Mom and Dad come at the end of the month.

Two of the biggest advantages here are the fact the fruit and vegetables are routinely as good as any ever tasted (I could just sit popping cherry tomato after cherry tomato in my mouth like Pez) and the liberal use of hazelnuts.

Do you have a method for preserving olives? The suocera brought some up from her tree down south and we salted them, but when we jarred them in the fridge they started to get moldy. It's very frustrating. I don't want to eat them all in one sitting and I wanted to have a few left for when my Mom and Dad come at the end of the month.

I'm assuming that they are already cured, right? If so, I always keep them sott' oligio in the fridge. I don't have any experience actually curing fresh olives off the tree.

I'm assuming that they are already cured, right? If so, I always keep them sott' oligio in the fridge. I don't have any experience actually curing fresh olives off the tree.

Nah. Fresh off the tree. We're curing them and apparently we aren't that good at it! They taste great, but the ones on the top turn fuzzy. Maybe I'll just bury them in some oil and throw 'em back in the fridge. Strange thing is that they are fine if we leave them out on the counter under a paper towel.

Nah. Fresh off the tree. We're curing them and apparently we aren't that good at it! They taste great, but the ones on the top turn fuzzy. Maybe I'll just bury them in some oil and throw 'em back in the fridge. Strange thing is that they are fine if we leave them out on the counter under a paper towel.

From what I remember, fresh olives need air flow to keep them from going moldy. Maybe the moist air of the fridge is causing the problem? Why not ask your mother-in-law to see what she does? Or, maybe there is an Italian Olive Board (whatever the correct name is) that might recommend the preferred method?

From what I remember, fresh olives need air flow to keep them from going moldy. Maybe the moist air of the fridge is causing the problem? Why not ask your mother-in-law to see what she does? Or, maybe there is an Italian Olive Board (whatever the correct name is) that might recommend the preferred method?

My mother in law and her cronies gave us a few different methods (prick them with a fork, cover them with paper towels, put saran wrap on the lid of the jar) but none have been very effective. The only method guaranteed to work is to simply eat them all within an hour.

My mother in law and her cronies gave us a few different methods (prick them with a fork, cover them with paper towels, put saran wrap on the lid of the jar) but none have been very effective. The only method guaranteed to work is to simply eat them all within an hour.

This, along with a nice rosso, sounds like the best plan of action to me. ;) I'll send you information on curing should I come across any. Enjoy the fresh olives. What a treat to get them right off the tree.

This, along with a nice rosso, sounds like the best plan of action to me. ;) I'll send you information on curing should I come across any. Enjoy the fresh olives. What a treat to get them right off the tree.

Actually it's the nespoli tree that creates all the stir. Have you ever had those? I don't think they are in season, but she brought back a bunch of lemons so the homemade limoncello is in the works. She made it with tangerines too, but I don't know what you call that. Tangerello?

Actually it's the nespoli tree that creates all the stir. Have you ever had those? I don't think they are in season, but she brought back a bunch of lemons so the homemade limoncello is in the works. She made it with tangerines too, but I don't know what you call that. Tangerello?

I had never heard of the fruit. I just looked it up and found out they are also called medlars and must be bletted ( by frost or cold storage) in order to be edible. Do they really taste like applesauce? I had a lemon tree in my yard when I lived in the SF Bay Area. I miss making limoncello. I used 100 proof vodka. What spirit do you use?

I had never heard of the fruit. I just looked it up and found out they are also called medlars and must be bletted ( by frost or cold storage) in order to be edible. Do they really taste like applesauce? I had a lemon tree in my yard when I lived in the SF Bay Area. I miss making limoncello. I used 100 proof vodka. What spirit do you use?

Bletted? We pull them off the tree and eat them. Seemed pretty edilbe to me.

My wife uses 190 proof grain for the limoncello. We made it with chocolate once, but it eventually turned to a thick blob that wouldn't come out of the bottle.

Bletted? We pull them off the tree and eat them. Seemed pretty edilbe to me.

My wife uses 190 proof grain for the limoncello. We made it with chocolate once, but it eventually turned to a thick blob that wouldn't come out of the bottle.

That's what they said in this article. I never heard of them before. I'm going to see if they are ever sold in the States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medlar

That's what they said in this article. I never heard of them before. I'm going to see if they are ever sold in the States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medlar

They are orange not brown. From what I've seen they may be the same family, but that's not them. Somebody said "loquats"? The certainly don't need any treatment to eat. They are best right off the tree. Tart and juicy.

Man I miss eating in Europe.

C'mon back. I'll probably miss it too, but the home cooking between my wife, mom and mother in law is pretty much the same back in NY.

They are orange not brown. From what I've seen they may be the same family, but that's not them. Somebody said "loquats"? The certainly don't need any treatment to eat. They are best right off the tree. Tart and juicy.

C'mon back. I'll probably miss it too, but the home cooking between my wife, mom and mother in law is pretty much the same back in NY.

I know, but the ambiance when you go downtown to the shop strasse.

I pretty much have enjoyed each overseas excursion. Minus Iraq that is.

Yeah, they are in the same family. They are sometimes called a Japanese medlar. I never had one of those, either. Sounds good, though. Enjoy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loquat