Favorite Art Museums

Encouraged by the very knowledgeable music folks here, I breach another subject that might fit the deep-narrow category (rather than a shallow-wide one IYCDI).

We try to visit as many of these places wherever we are and although having no or little training or background the subject have often noted it to be a profound and memorable experience. I figure that at least a few of you have some expertise in the matter and can provide the requisite guidance and anecdotal musings to advance the rest of our understanding of mankind’s second greatest achievement (after music of course J )

We tend to like the modern museums more than the "Bambino e Madonna" offerings but have found it somewhat inconsistent. Funny thing is that we live in a what might be the greatest museum city in the world yet seem underwhelmed vis-à-vis what we have found elsewhere, with the caveat that we haven’t been to the Met for many years and need to get up early enough someday to give it the full day (or days) that it deserves (well it is on the LOTTD). MOMA seems to have forgotten that art progressed beyond WWII, New Musuem?  ... meh. The Guggenheim, Whitney and others locally just did not make or “tops” list. Pretty good but well, can’t put my finger on it but they just didn’t do for us what the ones on the list below did.

Favorites? Well that has a lot to do with how we felt that day and other factors. So here is our short list of what we enjoyed the most. Some for the major works presented, some for the sheer fun of what was there that day some for just being amazed at finding it where it is. I am hoping to hear from at least a couple of you for more informed commentary to guide future LOTTD’s.

A few of ours in no particular order:

1.      The Louvre: From I.M Pei’s iconic pyramids to leaning on a base of a statue on a stairway to review the map, looking up to see it is the original Winged Victory to the Smiling Lady herself if you don’t come away from here thinking that this was one of the greatest days of your life, you have no artistic soul at all

2.      Montreal Museum of Contemporary Art: Rarely discussed anywhere, the time we were there showed to be the best modern art museum we ever visited. From the films to the full room presentations, it was one delight after another. Unfortunately we seem to get to Montreal less since the Expos moved away.

3.      Uffizi Gallery: There are so many amazing museums in Florence including Palazzo Pitti and dell’Accademia that you can get lost there for weeks forgetting to just go out and have an amazing food and people watching experience, but Uffizzi tops them all.

4.      Two modern art museums in Belgium, one in Antwerp and one in Ghent (forgot the names). Both amazing and both with displays or features that we still bring up to this day.

5.      D’Orsay of course, kinda Paris’ Koosman to the Louvre’s Seaver J   

6.      Vatican Museum: Just the stuff you see while waiting on line is astounding

7.      Prado: The Louvre of Spain.

8.      Palais de Glace: Right near Ricoleta Cemetery in Buenos Airies, we just wandered into this modern art museum and stayed all day when we had other plans, It was so interesting, we went back the morning that we were supposed to leave. It doesn’t seem to be too famous. I would get a kick if someone else here has been there.

9.      Albright-Knox Gallery: In Buffalo of all places. One afternoon while looking to kill time before the Rangers-Sabres match, we came here and were floored by the quality and quantity of the works. We almost missed the faceoff that night.   

10.  Toyko National Museum: If for no other reason than everything there was really old and everyone else seem to be staring at us because there were no other gaijin

There are so many more that I could have included, but just started the list to see if I can get any bites here.

So anyone an expert in this area, maybe even an artist yourself?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Visited the Gardner Museum last summer. Inexplicably they have followed this old bat's will to the letter such every item is displayed the way she wanted, all on top of each other.

More remarkable; the story of the heist, still unsolved. If you are going to commit a museum of art robbery, pick a day; in Boston; the day after ST. Patrick's Day; which was a Saturday night. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7686201/Suspect-infamous-Isabella-Stewart-Gardner-Museum-art-heist-released-prison-21-years.html

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Encouraged by the very knowledgeable music folks here, I breach another subject that might fit the deep-narrow category (rather than a shallow-wide one IYCDI).

We try to visit as many of these places wherever we are and although having no or little training or background the subject have often noted it to be a profound and memorable experience. I figure that at least a few of you have some expertise in the matter and can provide the requisite guidance and anecdotal musings to advance the rest of our understanding of mankind’s second greatest achievement (after music of course J )

We tend to like the modern museums more than the "Bambino e Madonna" offerings but have found it somewhat inconsistent. Funny thing is that we live in a what might be the greatest museum city in the world yet seem underwhelmed vis-à-vis what we have found elsewhere, with the caveat that we haven’t been to the Met for many years and need to get up early enough someday to give it the full day (or days) that it deserves (well it is on the LOTTD). MOMA seems to have forgotten that art progressed beyond WWII, New Musuem?  ... meh. The Guggenheim, Whitney and others locally just did not make or “tops” list. Pretty good but well, can’t put my finger on it but they just didn’t do for us what the ones on the list below did.

Favorites? Well that has a lot to do with how we felt that day and other factors. So here is our short list of what we enjoyed the most. Some for the major works presented, some for the sheer fun of what was there that day some for just being amazed at finding it where it is. I am hoping to hear from at least a couple of you for more informed commentary to guide future LOTTD’s.

A few of ours in no particular order:

1.      The Louvre: From I.M Pei’s iconic pyramids to leaning on a base of a statue on a stairway to review the map, looking up to see it is the original Winged Victory to the Smiling Lady herself if you don’t come away from here thinking that this was one of the greatest days of your life, you have no artistic soul at all

2.      Montreal Museum of Contemporary Art: Rarely discussed anywhere, the time we were there showed to be the best modern art museum we ever visited. From the films to the full room presentations, it was one delight after another. Unfortunately we seem to get to Montreal less since the Expos moved away.

3.      Uffizi Gallery: There are so many amazing museums in Florence including Palazzo Pitti and dell’Accademia that you can get lost there for weeks forgetting to just go out and have an amazing food and people watching experience, but Uffizzi tops them all.

4.      Two modern art museums in Belgium, one in Antwerp and one in Ghent (forgot the names). Both amazing and both with displays or features that we still bring up to this day.

5.      D’Orsay of course, kinda Paris’ Koosman to the Louvre’s Seaver J   

6.      Vatican Museum: Just the stuff you see while waiting on line is astounding

7.      Prado: The Louvre of Spain.

8.      Palais de Glace: Right near Ricoleta Cemetery in Buenos Airies, we just wandered into this modern art museum and stayed all day when we had other plans, It was so interesting, we went back the morning that we were supposed to leave. It doesn’t seem to be too famous. I would get a kick if someone else here has been there.

9.      Albright-Knox Gallery: In Buffalo of all places. One afternoon while looking to kill time before the Rangers-Sabres match, we came here and were floored by the quality and quantity of the works. We almost missed the faceoff that night.   

10.  Toyko National Museum: If for no other reason than everything there was really old and everyone else seem to be staring at us because there were no other gaijin

There are so many more that I could have included, but just started the list to see if I can get any bites here.

So anyone an expert in this area, maybe even an artist yourself?

So, other than the obvious MOMA etc in, the sort of "top" museumjs I have visited have beem.

1. Van Gough Museum in Amsterdam

2. Prado in Madrid

3. Frida Kahlo house in Mexico City

4. Museum of Anthropology , Mexico City

5. Dahli Museum in Tampa Bay

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Beautiful first post by Crimson.  I'll add The Getty Museum in Los Angeles, especially the gorgeous secondary museum in Malibu.  Massive and very impressive.

Also had a chance to take in the awesome "Play It Loud Exhibit" at the Met last year.  What a fun couple of hours checking out all the stuff.

Keith's rig:

IMG_0312.thumb.jpg.8fc813ba377cc34b982a057dc05a67e0.jpg

IMG_0322.thumb.jpg.e7411b737162483074a651dc39a66f76.jpg

IMG_0315.thumb.jpg.bd7845ef424f873558fd3f674ed546bb.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Beautiful first post by Crimson.  I'll add The Getty Museum in Los Angeles, especially the gorgeous secondary museum in Malibu.  Massive and very impressive.

Also had a chance to take in the awesome "Play It Loud Exhibit" at the Met last year.  What a fun couple of hours checking out all the stuff.

Keith's rig:

IMG_0312.thumb.jpg.8fc813ba377cc34b982a057dc05a67e0.jpg

IMG_0322.thumb.jpg.e7411b737162483074a651dc39a66f76.jpg

IMG_0315.thumb.jpg.bd7845ef424f873558fd3f674ed546bb.jpg

My brother went, sorry I missed it. 

• Upvote 2

My wife and I are not into visual arts at all. I’m very big into music, but otherwise, we’re both mostly big on math (me), science (her), history and social sciences (both). We’ve tried museums all over America and Europe with great enthusiasm, but just fizzled each time.

That said, we could have spent our entire week in Paris at the Lourve and it wouldn’t have been enough. The way it ties history, culture, and art into one - absolutely magnificent. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Have not been there in decades, but loved going to the Barnes.  Great collection.   How is the new building?

Very well done. Not the equal of the original but a suitable home to the amazing collection. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I probably prefer the "Bambino e Madonna" art to most modern stuff, so you'd have to take anything I say with a grain of salt.  Seems like you hit most of the majors.  I mean whether you like art museums or not, you are going to probably hit the Uffizi and Louvre.  I've never made it to Prado.  

I lived a block and a half from the Brera museum in Milan and that is up there with almost any.  I really liked the Villa Borghese in Rome, primarily for the Bernini sculptures.  Daphne turning into a tree to avoid the affections of Apollo, David, the rape of Persiphone.  There are some great paintings upstairs but don't waste too much time there.  They actually try to move you through.  Rome has a couple of decent "modern" art museums.  The National Gallery of Contemporary Art which is also in the Borghese park and MACRO (translates to Museum Of Contemporary Art- Rome) which is in two places, both industrial.  I enjoyed them both, but remember the locale (and old Peroni brewery and a retired slaughterhouse) more than anything in particular.  

Absolutely second the bit about the waiting line at the Vatican.  People just pushing through the most amazing stuff to get to the Sistine chapel (to recreate you memory, don't forget the heavy Italian accents exasperatingly muttering NO FLASH!).  I distinctly remember a Degas and a Warhol on that line, though the Vatican later cancelled an exhibit of his work.  The Lacuna there is another gem.  Truth is, much of the best art in Italy is in random churches - Michelangelo's Moses in San Pietro in Vincoli, the Caravaggio's in Santa Maria dei Popolo,  there is an awesome but ghoulish skinned St Bartholomew in the duomo in Milan.

I'm in DC now and the Smithsonian Galleries are pretty good and the price and location are right.  The Hirschhorn has the contemporary stuff and has had some excellent rotating exhibits.  I saw the Scarpitta sprint car exhibit there.  

My parents are the real art buffs.  I can find out what they really like. They were teachers and spent a few weeks every summer driving around and have spent plenty of time in Europe.  I know they love Barcelona.  Besides Philadelphia, I think I remember Indy having a museum they like, but I can't be sure until I ask them. 

Enough of a book for now.

• Sympathy 2

Off the top of my head?

- British Museum- First date with the wife was the the British Museum to check out the Terracotta Warrior exhibition many years ago.

- Churchill's Cabinet war Rooms in London- Surreal if you can get in on a slow traffic day and stand in thos corridors when the speakers are playing one of Churchills speeches through the PA just as they would have been doing during the blitz.

- HR Geiger Museum in Gruyeres, Switzerland.  Just some insanely cool pieces of art in that place and the Geiger bar across the street was super cool.

- Kilmaiham Gaol in Dublin is part museum and part prison walking tour.  I' think I've done it four or five times now.

- Groeningemuseum in Bruges is always a good spot to check out.  Loved the movie, love the city and the museum is pretty damn good too.

- Imperial war Museum in London

- Pegasus Bridge mueseum across the street from the Gondree Cafe, the first home liberated by the allies on D-Day.

- Salvado Dali Museaum in St. Petersburg, FL.  Not nearly as great as it once was, but still a cool spot.

- Picasso Museum in Barcelona- I'd be lying if I said I "got" Picasso because I don't, but it was still very cool to check out some of his works in person.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jethead said:

A sleeper in NYC is the Frick Museum on 5th Ave. Well worth a visit.

Walking up Fifth, past the Frick the day I went to the Met to see Play It Loud.  Had not been there--again--in decades.  The structure and grounds are still so impressive.  That collection was fun to walk thru back in the day.  Nice job adding it.

@AFJF mentioned all that UK stuff and left off the Tate?  I stayed right near the Tate modern when I was there and it was pretty cool, even if I'm not a modern are man.   

My Dad said the Indian American museum in Indy is the one they like.  I guess it is the Eiteljorg.  I've never been, but I don't think that indigenous art is their main thing so it is probably pretty cool.

An awesome trip for art lovers is the Riviera.  It was an easy drive from Milan and there are plenty of cool spots. The two I remember best are the Picasso Museum at Chateau Grimaldi and Chateau de la Nepoule.  PIcasso was in Antibes for a  bit, so they turned it into a museum.  Chateau de la Nepoule was an old castle that was turned into a glass factory. Eventually Henry Clews and his wife took over the dilapidated castle.  It has a crazy garden and a bunch of wild artwork all around.  Looking it up, they apparently used in Simon Sez, an awful action flick with Rodman and Dane Cook.  I may have to check it out, the place was that cool.  There are a ton of expat artiststs that ended up there and if you don't like the museum, hey you're on the French Riviera! 

11 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

@AFJF mentioned all that UK stuff and left off the Tate?  I stayed right near the Tate modern when I was there and it was pretty cool, even if I'm not a modern are man.   

My Dad said the Indian American museum in Indy is the one they like.  I guess it is the Eiteljorg.  I've never been, but I don't think that indigenous art is their main thing so it is probably pretty cool.

An awesome trip for art lovers is the Riviera.  It was an easy drive from Milan and there are plenty of cool spots. The two I remember best are the Picasso Museum at Chateau Grimaldi and Chateau de la Nepoule.  PIcasso was in Antibes for a  bit, so they turned it into a museum.  Chateau de la Nepoule was an old castle that was turned into a glass factory. Eventually Henry Clews and his wife took over the dilapidated castle.  It has a crazy garden and a bunch of wild artwork all around.  Looking it up, they apparently used in Simon Sez, an awful action flick with Rodman and Dane Cook.  I may have to check it out, the place was that cool.  There are a ton of expat artiststs that ended up there and if you don't like the museum, hey you're on the French Riviera! 

That all sounds like great stuff but man, who knows when I'll be driving to mainland Europe again?  So glad we did a trip out to Bruges a couple weeks before all of this started.

Re: the tate, I've walked past it a million times but the wife and I have never gone in.  Well, I haven't, but she's been a few times and loves it.  Always so much to do in London that I end up elsewhere.  Will definitely get in one day though.