Sam Darnold & Lawerence Cager

20 hours ago, JiF said:

I mean, it's pretty awful.  lol.  You're really putting a lot of hope in guys that havent proven to be very good.  I really wish they could add a veteran WR to put out there but oh well, hopefully one of these guys has a break out year because Crowder is the only reliable WR of the bunch.  

I do think Griffin/Herndon/Bell help as well but good god, if Crowder got hurt...we better hope Mims hits the ground running.

Yeah, like to see someone added to the top of list not someone who at best may cling to the bottom. 

21 hours ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Very cool. His top competition seems to be Josh Doctson and George Campbell for the big possession receiver. He's got a shot for sure. 

This really isn't a bad WR corps, and with rosters expanding, 7 WR isn't a crazy idea. 

Perriman

Mims

Crowder

Smith

Berrios

Cager

If you look at the signing bonuses it looks like Cager has the inside track on Campbell.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, slats said:

The 5'9" Crowder has the same size hands as the 6'5" Cager. 

Hand size is something of a critical measurement for QBs and WRs. Not sure how popular it is. I'd be willing to bet that it was a factor in Cager going undrafted. 

its popular, thats sure. whether there is any evidence correlating it to performance is another thing entirely...

and you may be correct that it had an impact in where he didnt get drafted. 

my thinking out loud type question is whether it can be demosntrated to have a postive correaltion to performance...

On 6/8/2020 at 8:44 PM, slats said:

The 5'9" Crowder has the same size hands as the 6'5" Cager. 

Hand size is something of a critical measurement for QBs and WRs. Not sure how popular it is. I'd be willing to bet that it was a factor in Cager going undrafted. 

Hand size doesnt seem to be limiting Crowder.  Just because there is a bigger body attached to Cager's hands doesn't mean that he cant catch similarly.

5 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Hand size doesnt seem to be limiting Crowder.  Just because there is a bigger body attached to Cager's hands doesn't mean that he cant catch similarly.

Both players are listed as WRs, but in reality they play very different positions. Crowder is operating on a short field, with quick timing routes designed for easy throws by the QB. Cager will be expected to be the outside guy catching contested, more difficult passes. In either scenario, the bigger the mitts, the easier the catch. And even that being said, Crowder has small hands for an NFL player. He's more of an outlier than the norm having success catching the football with sub-9" hands. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

Both players are listed as WRs, but in reality they play very different positions. Crowder is operating on a short field, with quick timing routes designed for easy throws by the QB. Cager will be expected to be the outside guy catching contested, more difficult passes. In either scenario, the bigger the mitts, the easier the catch. And even that being said, Crowder has small hands for an NFL player. He's more of an outlier than the norm having success catching the football with sub-9" hands. 

I get your concern.  If he was a perfect player without any questions marks like hands and health he would have been drafted.  I dont recall him having problems with drops in college so I guess we will see how that translates to the NFL.  Hopefully its not an issue.

1 hour ago, slats said:

Funny, I thought Cager would see time as a "big slot."  Sad thought, I think Amaro was a big guy with small hands envisionsed for the same role.

2 hours ago, fullblast said:

Hate to be negative but this is honestly who he reminds me of. Big body who struggles to gain separation. Rooting for him but my expectations are preeeety low.

While not guaranteed, certainly likely. I’m a Hurricanes fan and he’s been on my radar since we recruited him and even paid attention after his transfer. We’ve seen players of his ilk come and go...”fan favorites” “hopefuls”

But hey, I’ll be pleasantly suprised if I’m wrong and will pumped up to support him on Sundays

Hate to be negative but this is honestly who he reminds me of. Big body who struggles to gain separation. Rooting for him but my expectations are preeeety low.

I’m a fan of Cager, I think there’s a chance that he sticks. Would have loved to see him perform some drills.

However, I don’t really disagree with the comparison. With Peake, who I compared to Stephen Hill, the physical skills were there. He had speed, he had size, ok route running, but never really put it together. Those Clemson teams were loaded in the passing game, yet Peake rarely stood out.

I think in terms of physical aspects, I think the comparison works. Cager is bigger, but Peake is faster IMO. They were both OK in routes, but it was limited play. However, the one thing I did notice with his Georgia film was that he was the primary receiver. I think Pickens is probably the better guy, but Fromm absolutely looked at Cager as his No. 1, in the games that he was healthy enough to play.

It’s a lottery pick without the workouts (probably one anyway) but I like them because his skill set (red zone target) is something we desperately need. It almost always doesn’t work out but if we look at a guy like Darren Waller breaking out, even after years, it could really set up the offense.

Earlier I compared Cager to Mack Hollins, partially because Douglas was there when Philly picked him up. The Ravens picked up Waller in 2015, but I’m not sure about the timing of Douglas leaving Ravens to join the Bears. Either way, I’m assuming his input had some value in picking Waller.