Mike Tyson to fight Roy Jones Jr.

50-year-olds fighting each other is fine. I'm happy neither guy is going the Hopkins route and trying to step in the ring with a guy like Joe Smith. Watching a 54-year-old Tyson that hasn't fought in 15 years try to step in with anyone legit would have been sad to watch. This? Maybe it's fun to watch, but I doubt it. Historically speaking these types of fights are usually brutal to tune into.

Jones is sure to be the favorite as he's been fighting this decade, but ugh, I'd say there's a 90% chance this fight winds up looking like Liddell/Ortiz 3. 

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

50-year-olds fighting each other is fine. I'm happy neither guy is going the Hopkins route and trying to step in the ring with a guy like Joe Smith. Watching a 54-year-old Tyson that hasn't fought in 15 years try to step in with anyone legit would have been sad to watch. This? Maybe it's fun to watch, but I doubt it. Historically speaking these types of fights are usually brutal to tune into.

Jones is sure to be the favorite as he's been fighting this decade, but ugh, I'd say there's a 90% chance this fight winds up looking like Liddell/Ortiz 3. 

Jeez I didn't know Jones is 51.  

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jeez I didn't know Jones is 51.  

And he's been fighting up until two years ago. 

It's worth noting that this has happened a zillion times in boxing and it's the same schtick every time. People get nostalgic for fighters and forget how abhorrent the sport can really be for older people. I am happy for Tyson that he's healthy and in shape, training is for everyone but actually fighting is a young man's game. Both guys are consenting so whatever, and I'm happy they are not doing to either what they did to Ali and some other legends, but this sh*t is never good for the sport. Ali coming back to fight Holmes energized everyone until he actually had to get in the ring and fight and everyone had to watch someone they loved get massacred; ditto for other legends like Chavez, Tommy Hearns, Sugar Ray...etc.

The saddest part of this all is boxing is incredibly deep and competitive right now and circus shows like this just take away from it. Especially with casual fans being able to dominate dialogue with social media. 

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

And he's been fighting up until two years ago. 

It's worth noting that this has happened a zillion times in boxing and it's the same schtick every time. People get nostalgic for fighters and forget how abhorrent the sport can really be for older people. Training is for everyone but fighting is a young man's game. Both guys are consenting so whatever, and I'm happy they are not doing to either what they did to Ali and some other legends, but this sh*t is never good for the sport. Ali coming back to fight Holmes energized everyone until he actually had to get in the ring and fight; ditto for other legends like Chavez, Tommy Hearns, Sugar Ray...etc.

The saddest part of this all is boxing is incredibly deep and competitive right now and circus shows like this just take away from it. Especially with casual fans being able to dominate dialogue with social media. 

You need a hug? I’m here. I’m over 50, so go easy on me. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

And yet the 2 biggest boxing matches since Tyson retired are going to be this fight and Mayweather/Macgregor. 

28 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

You need a hug? I’m here. I’m over 50, so go easy on me. 

I am a lifelong fans of both these guys and it's just sad when great fighters give everything they have only to turn into caricatures. I watched Larry Holmes fight Butterbean and I'm still traumatized from it. Prime Jones might legit be the best boxer I ever saw. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Bugg said:

And yet the 2 biggest boxing matches since Tyson retired are going to be this fight and Mayweather/Macgregor. 

Floyd vs Pac is still #1, though Fury v Joshua stands a shot at breaking it. The McGregor fight may have been a circus but at least both guys were young(er) fighters that were training and fighting.

I'd be shocked if this fight draws anywhere near those sort of buys. But we'll see how they price it. I'd be shocked if they hit more than 100k.

On 7/23/2020 at 10:22 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Floyd vs Pac is still #1, though Fury v Joshua stands a shot at breaking it. The McGregor fight may have been a circus but at least both guys were young(er) fighters that were training and fighting.

I'd be shocked if this fight draws anywhere near those sort of buys. But we'll see how they price it. I'd be shocked if they hit more than 100k.

If it's priced correctly it will sell a lot of buys. 

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Looking forward to this Saturday night. Who's watching this?

I've got Tyson winning wth a second round KO. Hedging with RJJ by decision.

I'll be watching but I just hate the idea of two 50 year old men punching one another especially with CTE being a real thing. 

Sportssurgre will stream the fight for free with 0 lag and perfect quality; I watch all PPV boxing fights on this site. Love it. 

I don't think Roy Jones Jr. stands a chance I've watched some of Tyson's workouts and he looks vicious like he's being fed gun powder and raw meat he's an absolute animal. 

https://nypost.com/2020/11/27/mike-tyson-eats-ear-off-roy-jones-jr-cake-ahead-of-exhibition/

Mike Tyson eats ear off Roy Jones Jr. cake ahead of exhibition bout

While others mostly were feasting on turkey and stuffing on Thursday, Mike Tyson’s holiday meal featured an homage to his most infamous moment in the ring.

While preparing for his comeback exhibition fight Saturday night against Roy Jones Jr., Tyson and his family ate a cake in the shape of Jones’ head.

The former heavyweight champ even slices off and eats the “ear” of the cake, in reference to the 1997 bout in which he chomped the ear of opponent Evander Holyfield.

“Tastes so much better than Evander’s,” the former heavyweight champion says in the YouTube video entitled “Thanksgiving with the Tysons.”

In keeping with the holiday spirit, Tyson also calls Jones “a turkey,” and he later posted a photo on Instagram of the cake leftovers being placed in a dog dish for his dog Mars.

Saturday’s eight-round exhibition fight will mark the first time the 54-year-old Tyson has been in the ring for a sanctioned match since another exhibition against Corey Sanders in 2006. His last professional fight was a TKO loss to Kevin McBride the previous year.

Tyson will receive a reported $10 million for the anticipated pay-per-view event against the 52-year-old Jones, a former world champion in four weight classes.

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

They called it a draw but Tyson clearly won the fight. No knock downs, unfortunately.

Eh.  Clearly won the exhibition.  Not a shock considering they were fighting in a phone booth (do people still know what that is?).  They both looked okay but conditioning an obvious issue for both.  Shame what happened to Nate.

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Eh.  Clearly won the exhibition.  Not a shock considering they were fighting in a phone booth (do people still know what that is?).  They both looked okay but conditioning an obvious issue for both.  Shame what happened to Nate.

I've never seen a tiny ring like that but I basically stopped following boxing when Tyson retired. Is that a new thing? I wish the ref would have broken up all the hugging faster.

48 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I've never seen a tiny ring like that but I basically stopped following boxing when Tyson retired. Is that a new thing? I wish the ref would have broken up all the hugging faster.

It's the oldest trick in the book.  Small rings for fat old people so they don't have to travel as far.  It usually favors the puncher.  In a normal sized ring I would have expected Roy to just run around throwing pot shots, but Tyson actually seemed to last longer, so it might have made it more interesting and cut down on the wrestling.