Jets projected ceiling/floor - NFL.com

17 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Really, I think the bigger hope is simply that Darnold was never truly 100% last season and the combination of being fully healthy and having a better line (plus another year in the offense) allows him to just take a huge leap. The true "best case scenario" for the Jets in 2020 involves Darnold just playing much better and more consistently than he previously has.

Quite honestly I think any Jets fan with a positive view on the season is basically expecting this.  If you are positive about the Jets with Darnold not taking a leap like this I want what that guy is smoking.

Without a preseason to gel, I can see the O line being at best work in progress or a month until they can figure things out. I imagine NFL Defenses are going to have a jump on NFL offenses at the start of the season.

I read somewhere...a football writer suggesting that Perriman will initially struggle to adapt to Gase's offense. His point was that Perriman struggles to learn a new system. I have no opinion on his theory, I hope the writer is wrong. How much impact we can expect from Perriman and Mims in 2020 may be limited.

Having the pass catching Bell in better shape and a healthy Herndon hopefully compensates somewhat for the loss of Anderson.

Damn I hope this season happens, mediocre or not.

• Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Quite honestly I think any Jets fan with a positive view on the season is basically expecting this.  If you are positive about the Jets with Darnold not taking a leap like this I want what that guy is smoking.

Agreed. Nobody is expecting a dramatic improvement without Darnold being better. It's just a question of how much better. I'm still optimistic but I'm probably less expecting a "massive leap" in 2020 than I was in 2019. 

19 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Agreed. Nobody is expecting a dramatic improvement without Darnold being better. It's just a question of how much better. I'm still optimistic but I'm probably less expecting a "massive leap" in 2020 than I was in 2019. 

Any “Leap” massive, or minimal will do IMO.  The kid went 7-6 with Mono.  Get healthy, and take another small step 9-7 should be a gimme.  Massive “Leap”, and sky is the limit with Sam.

What will it take the win the AFCE?  11-5...10-6...9-7...8-8?  Cause IMO...it's wide open for the taking.

Don't know if JD will add players to compensate for opt outs and cuts.   A pass rusher...CB and/or WR would be strong possibilities as acquisitions if he decided to do so.

Even so...the AFCE being a weaker division.  With the Pats having come down much closer to the rest of the pack.  The Bills haven't proved anything. And are going to feel the pressure of expectations.  Fins still in serious rebuild and no threat.  Jets are an under the radar team...not given serious consideration to win the division.   No pressure on them.   That's a plus.  

Having fortified the OL through FA and the draft.    Mims is a stud wideout addition that will surprise.  Return of Herndon.  An improved RB unit.  This offense will be much more competitive.  Both in time of possession and points scored.  

Draft additions Ashtyn Davis...Bryce Hall...Zuniga and Bryce Huff are going to help.  FA Desir is a solid starting corner, and Wilson is a good depth piece as additions.   Last year the ILB unit had to manage without both Moseley and Williamson.  So with the return of at least Williamson...should allow that group to continue to be effective.  A big improvement from QW....will help GW to scheme up an effective pass rush.   Overall...I have confidence that GW can find ways to utilize his personnel in game plans...that will keep the defense competitive enough for the Jets to be in the games.  

So it boils down for me to...Darnold.  How big a breakout he has will be the biggest determining factor in Jets fortunes for the AFCE.  IMO he's the best QB in the division...Newton be damned.  

Having come off of a strong 6-2 finish.  Darnold busting out...Jets can get it done.  Most likely 10-6 or 9-7 can be good enough to take the AFCE.   

JMO

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Gangrene said:

Without a preseason to gel, I can see the O line being at best work in progress or a month until they can figure things out. I imagine NFL Defenses are going to have a jump on NFL offenses at the start of the season.

I read somewhere...a football writer suggesting that Perriman will initially struggle to adapt to Gase's offense. His point was that Perriman struggles to learn a new system. I have no opinion on his theory, I hope the writer is wrong. How much impact we can expect from Perriman and Mims in 2020 may be limited.

Having the pass catching Bell in better shape and a healthy Herndon hopefully compensates somewhat for the loss of Anderson.

Damn I hope this season happens, mediocre or not.

I was initially excited about Darnold having a huge breakout year and frankly would still expect it if the Jets actually did upgrade the OL and didn’t lose his top weapon.

We would have to get very lucky with at least two rookies playing at a high level their first year...which most of us know is very unlikely.

I wouldn’t expect much from Sam this year and that’s on JD’s choices as much as anyone else’s.

I think it's a really hard year to project. It might end up with teams being filled will no-name replacement guys if Covid takes over rosters after a few games and the NFL keeps pushing through.

I take the pandemic dangers and social distancing seriously but It could be quite the watch if a so-called bottom rated team makes a playoff run with a rash of key players on opposing usually dominant teams miss a string of three or four weeks. If, for example, the the Bengals, the Browns or the Cardinals lift the Super bowl after a season of never before seen attrition, it's may make for bad football but compelling competition drama. Forget reality TV shows with an NFL season of last team standing.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Darnold's growth as our quarterback and leader will make the schedule easier this year. I am drinking 100 proof kool-aid though. 

That's some interesting mental gymnastics there, lol.

Sam could absolutely ball out next year.  Won't make the schedule easier.  He could put up 38 points against KC and still lose the game, for instance.

look at the schedule they travel 31000 miles

7 wins was a best case even before losing the team's two best players

the Jets cut Winters, he immediately starts for Buffalo

all this cap space they used it to cut Q and roll over 

they aren't even trying in 2020

the tank is on 

this looks like a 4 win team, folks. 

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

look at the schedule they travel 31000 miles

7 wins was a best case even before losing the team's two best players

the Jets cut Winters, he immediately starts for Buffalo

all this cap space they used it to cut Q and roll over 

they aren't even trying in 2020

the tank is on 

this looks like a 4 win team, folks. 

I'm bumping this after each victory. I expect to be bumping this 10 times. 

• Upvote 3