Darnold or Sanchez

ZachEY

Darnold or Sanchez?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better QB?

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It's very hard to compare them because Sanchez had a top 3-5 NFL roster around him. 

But you are correct -  I never imagined that Sam could be this bad in his third season. It's incredible how bad he has been this year, in what is typically looked at as a make or break year for NFL QBs. 

Sanchez also played in a much tougher era where defenders could actually hit. Just compare the QB stats from then and now - They've inflated to ridiculous levels. 

People also really overrate Sanchez's weapons. He had a great line but that was about it. Edwards and Holmes were good but hardly great, Keller was mediocre at best. 

His 2010 season tops anything Darnold will ever do in the NFL. Sam will be lucky to be in the league in 5 years. He's genuinely as bad as it gets mentally. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Irish Jet said:

Sanchez also played in a much tougher era where defenders could actually hit.

People also really overrated Sanchez's weapons. He had a great line but that was about it. Edwards and Holmes were good but hardly great, Keller was mediocre. 

His 2010 season tops anything Darnold will ever do in the NFL. Sam will be lucky to be in the league in 5 years. He's genuinely as bad as it gets mentally. 

Nah, those skill players were still better than anything Darnold has ever really had in his first 3 seasons here. 

1 minute ago, Irish Jet said:

People also really overrated Sanchez's weapons. He had a great line but that was about it. Edwards and Holmes were good but hardly great, Keller was mediocre. 

As I said a few weeks ago. Baker Mayfield may already have more career wins than Darnold will total for his entire career.

• Upvote 2

No doubt Sanchez came into a much better situation.  But he showed the ability to rise to the occasion.  Had some nice performances on the road in playoff games.  Led some comebacks with big 4th quarters.  At times, he elevated his play late in games with the game on the line.

Darnold is at his best early in games and gets worse as the game goes on.

For this reason, I would take Sanchez.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Nah, those skill players were still better than anything Darnold has ever really had in his first 3 seasons here. 

Stop.

Both Holmes/Edwards had already peaked. The latter could be a liability as often as he could be a force. Both fell off the face of the earth after 2010. LT was considered washed up when he was signed, he was a solid back at that point but nothing exceptional. The group wasn't all that.

A completely finished Joe Flacco actually made the offence look somewhat respectable when he had a healthy group. With Darnold it didn't matter that the talent returned, hardly made a difference because he can't play.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

It's not so much about the weapons. It's that the 09-10 Jets had the best running game in the league, and even more importantly, had more rushing attempts than any team in the league over that 2 year stretch. They basically played around Mark as much as possible. 

And, even by 2009, it was pretty easy to throw in the league. Sanchez struggled on a loaded team with probably the best combination of pass protection and running game in the league. 

But I do agree that Sam is crazy bad this year. If you want to say that Darnold is worse than Sanchez, I can't really argue with you. 

I just personally think comparisons like this are very difficult because of the different circumstances. Both guys aren't long term NFL starters. That's all that matters to me. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, funaz said:

It's Sanchez by a mile.

Sanchez has the most playoff wins in franchise history.

Say anything else you want, anything. It won't be enough to put darnold, I get Sanchez on that alone.

I don't care about potential, or circumstance, or differences. Sanchez was our qb when we won 4 playoff games, and Darnold was our qb when we went 0-17.

They're both f**kin' terrible so who cares.

But sure, I'm cool with those saying Sanchez was better.  I'm not exactly going to be stubborn on this one.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It's not so much about the weapons. It's that the 09-10 Jets had the best running game in the league, and even more importantly, had more rushing attempts than any team in the league over that 2 year stretch. They basically played around Mark as much as possible. 

And, even by 2009, it was pretty easy to throw in the league. Sanchez struggled on a loaded team with probably the best combination of pass protection and running game in the league. 

But I do agree that Sam is crazy bad this year. If you want to say that Darnold is worse than Sanchez, I can't really argue with you. 

I just personally think comparisons like this are very difficult because of the different circumstances. Both guys aren't long term NFL starters. That's all that matters to me. 

Just look at the difference between 2010 and 2020:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2010/passing.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/passing.htm

2010 you had 4 passers with a rating of 100+. In 2020 you have more than double with 9

2010 you 4 passers with a QBR over 70. The highest being 78. In 2020 you have 13 passers over 70, with 3 over 80. 

Look at the TD:INT ratios now compared to then. They're insane. Passing was getting easier but it was still nothing like the arena league style bullsh*t we have today. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Stop.

Both Holmes/Edwards had already peaked. The latter could be a liability as often as he could be a force. Both fell off the face of the earth after 2010. LT was considered washed up when he was signed, he was a solid back at that point but nothing exceptional. The group wasn't all that.

A completely finished Joe Flacco actually made the offence look somewhat respectable when he had a healthy group. With Darnold it didn't matter that the talent returned, hardly made a difference because he can't play.

Maybe so, but they were good in 2009 and 2010, that's all that matters, and Sanchez had them compared to what Darnold has had to work with skill players wise for the most part. So, we'll just agree to disagree.

Darnold is just mentally shot at this point. For his sake and any chance of a career left, he needs to get away from this team and Gase. 

Just look at the difference between 2010 and 2020:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2010/passing.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/passing.htm

2010 you had 4 passers with a rating of 100+. In 2020 you have more than double with 9

2010 you 4 passers with a QBR over 70. The highest being 78. In 2020 you have 13 passers over 70, with 3 over 80. 

Look at the TD:INT ratios now compared to then. They're insane. Passing was getting easier but it was still nothing like the arena league style bullsh*t we have today. 

I agree. 

Sam's performance within the context of 2020 NFL football is unimaginably bad. 

I would have never imagined he could play this badly in his 3rd year.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Stop.

Darnold just saw ghosts against a SEA barely-there defense. 

14 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Sanchez also played in a much tougher era where defenders could actually hit. Just compare the QB stats from then and now - They've inflated to ridiculous levels. 

People also really overrate Sanchez's weapons. He had a great line but that was about it. Edwards and Holmes were good but hardly great, Keller was mediocre at best. 

I mean, yeah, but Sanchez was out of the league about 5.5 years after his last start with the Jets.  So I'd say they'll have comparable post-Jets careers.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean, yeah, but Sanchez was out of the league about 5.5 years after his last start with the Jets.  So I'd say they'll have comparable post-Jets careers.

He also got a serious injury to his throwing shoulder and had been paid enough to go sing some songs and f*ck all the bitches he wants.

• Upvote 2

Sanchez will still forever be worse, as a matter of pure principle, because even if their skill-level is exactly identical to one another, which is an easy enough argument to make, Sanchez ruined an otherwise fantastic team with his endless stream of sh*ttiness.  Darnold has simply assisted in keeping an already awful team at that proper level of laughable terribleness, a trait shared with a great many other Jets' historical QBs.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

I always thought Shotty got a bad rap on this board.

So tell me all you Sanchez naysayers, was THAT O handicapped by Shotty or not?  Isn't it true that if Shotty sucked then Sanchez actually played better than he's getting credited for in this thread? (only addressing '09-'10) 

BTW once they got rid of Shotty the O fell apart.....just saying.

In my mind Mark is/was better than Sam.            

• Upvote 2