Darnold or Sanchez

ZachEY

Darnold or Sanchez?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better QB?

1 hour ago, RSJ said:

Darnolds picks today were not related to the talent around him. They were horrible decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

How do we know these PS WRs didn't run the wrong route?  Also, how do we know Sam didn't get flustered later in the game and things got away with him.  He's still a young QB after all and we're giving him absolutely zero support (in terms of both teammates and coaches).  He's being left out there to figure it all out himself.

How do we know these PS WRs didn't run the wrong route?  Also, how do we know Sam didn't get flustered later in the game and things got away with him.  He's still a young QB after all and we're giving him absolutely zero support (in terms of both teammates and coaches).  He's being left out there to figure it all out himself.

Run the wrong routes? What are you talking about?They run that comeback route at your local high school. Those picks were all awful. He wasnt fitting things between defenders or airing it out. They were horrible decisions.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's his 3rd year in the pros, and it was very clear on at least 2 of his 3 picks that it had nothing to do with what the WRs were doing.

Meanwhile, Darnold also took unnecessary sacks and missed wide open WR's several times.  

But Griffin dropped a pass so I guess its not Darnold's fault at all.

You can make excuses all day long, but what Darnold apologists CAN'T ever seem to do is point out what Darnold does WELL.  

It's all so tiresome, and the same exact stuff people did with Sanchez and Geno Smith. 

2 hours ago, RSJ said:

Darnolds picks today were not related to the talent around him. They were horrible decisions.

This is fair, but keep in mind, when you know you have to put the team on your back and you are constantly playing from behind, you're going to try to do too much and force the issue.  Yes, a more experienced QB doesn't make those errors as often as Darnold has, but he is still the 2nd youngest QB in the league.  A good HC can get way more out of him than Gase.  I want to see that before I completely write him off.

31 minutes ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

Wait what? It's not even close. Darnold by far is a better player and that's saying something because he's been mediocre at best so far in his career. Sanchez had a top 5 team around him and still had a 12:20 td/int ratio. 

Good God people have lost their minds around here. Recency bias out the ass.

I mean, recency is pretty important, considering this was supposed to be Darnold's big season here in Year 3, and he's basically taken a sh*t on the field 3 weeks in a row.

I think Darnold is the correct answer, but its indeed close, and that's sad.

10 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Played complete competent games in some of the most important games in our franchises hostory. We cant even get this clown to play a single complete regular season game.

I'm not defending Darnold here; just reminding you that as bad as he's looked, Sanchez has looked just as bad, if not worse.

It's even telling in your word choice in defending Sanchez. "Competent". Not "great" or "elite", but "competent". Because when Sanchez was at his best, that's all he was. And that was with a tremendous supporting cast around him. Once that cast was gone, he was downright woeful. No better than Sam Darnold is now.

How people forget that is fascinating.

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Sanchez played great during two postseason runs.

You know, other than the little part where he ranged from mediocre to steaming pile of dog sh*t in 5 out of 6 playoff games, with vs NE quite literally being the lone exception where he actually contributed anything of value.  He was the single-worst player on an otherwise exceptionally talented team.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, heymangold said:

To be honest, you give darnold that o-line with Thomas Jones, Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Dustin Keller and Cotchery - with THAT defense - he’d be taking us to an AFC championship game too.

This is phrased as if it s a good thing that Sam is probably as good as Sanchez, is that where we are at? 

2 minutes ago, heymangold said:

This is a point to how a team builds around a young QB, not ignoring the skill positions and offensive line.  See the bills, cardinals, etc.

Sanchez sucked noticeably more when the team around him eroded and he was asked to do more.  But he had those 2 first years when the team was great and he was up and down but played reasonably well in the playoffs.  But with darnold his team has always sucked.  The only other qb who was drafted high up in round 1 in recent years whose team sucked and continued to suck around him so far is the giants and you see how bad Daniel jones actually is too.  

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Impossible to tell.

Darnold joined the most talentless awful team in the league and nothing was added for his three years.

Sanchez came onto a team with a great, oline, running game and defence.

Yeah, I’d say Darnold the better talent, Sanchez was the only weak link to that amazing team. Jets were one of the most stacked in the NFL for those 2 years. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Who is the superior Jets QB?

Mark Sanchez and not for reasons that are obvious. If he had better accuracy he would still be the QB here. His mechanics were very good as was his footwork. I always felt Mark needed to be in situations where he was not thinking too much since he seemed to perform well in the Hurry up also he seemed much calmer in the pocket than Sam Darnold ever will.  If only we could combine the two

• Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Impossible to tell.

Darnold joined the most talentless awful team in the league and nothing was added for his three years.

Sanchez came onto a team with a great, oline, running game and defence.

Sanchez was asked to do very little.

Sam is being asked to carry the team. 

Jets win the SuperBowl with Sam at QB instead of Mark with that team.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Yeah, I’d say Darnold the better talent, Sanchez was the only weak link to that amazing team. Jets were one of the most stacked in the NFL for those 2 years. 

other than the Drunk malcontent diva thug WR's yeah we had a lot of talent. Theres no telling the effect those idiots had on the Young Sanchez and the sad part was when he seemed to be developing a good relationship with Braylon Edwards the Jets promptly dumped Edwards and kept the biggest Idiot in the NFL Santonio Holmes 

• Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, RSJ said:

Sanchez still doesnt throw the pick sixes or the pick in the end zone. Those were just awful decisions. Calvin Johnson would not have ever had a chance to catch those.

What makes you think Sanchez doesn't throw those? Sanchez made idiotic boneheaded turnovers all the time. Guy was literally a turnover machine the entire time he was here.

I get that the fact that we were winning is coloring people's perceptions but the idea that Darnold makes bad turnovers unlike Sanchez is preposterous. Sanchez was the turnover king.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

It's Sanchez by a mile.

Sanchez has the most playoff wins in franchise history.

Say anything else you want, anything. It won't be enough to put darnold, I get Sanchez on that alone.

I don't care about potential, or circumstance, or differences. Sanchez was our qb when we won 4 playoff games, and Darnold was our qb when we went 0-17.

I say Darnold, because we know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Sanchez was godawful, independent of the Jets.  How do we know this?  Because he failed miserably at 4 different stops after the Jets.  In 2016, he had the starting job in Denver handed to him on a silver platter.  How did he respond?  By sh*tting himself and handing the job right to 2015 7th round rookie draft pick Trevor Siemian.  He was out of the league by the time he was 28.
Darnold at least has a chance to salvage something of a career at his next stop(s), perhaps even getting a few QB1 opportunities.  Until he fails elsewhere, I can't put Sanchez ahead of him.
That being said, the fact that this vote is so close is just sad and pathetic.  Sanchez was an abomination.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Sanchez is owed some apologies.

Darnold is the worst QB I’ve seen by far that started for the Jets for 3 season. Irredeemable.

It's very hard to compare them because Sanchez had a top 3-5 NFL roster around him. 

But you are correct -  I never imagined that Sam could be this bad in his third season. It's incredible how bad he has been this year, in what is typically looked at as a make or break year for NFL QBs. 

• Sympathy 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

It's very hard to compare them because Sanchez had a top 3-5 NFL roster around him. 

But you are correct -  I never imagined that Sam could be this bad in his third season. It's incredible how bad he has been this year, in what is typically looked at as a make or break year for NFL QBs. 

I think Darnold having that roster Sanchez did would be a completely different QB.