Strength and Conditioning.

Fellas,

I have watched all these soft tissue injuries, the rookies not playing etc.

Do the Jets even have a weight room?

Seriously,  Didn’t Gase have a problem in Miami with players getting hurt all the time?

Now history is repeating itself.

I understand no training camp or preseason, but this is on the players to show up in shape.

When Parcells first came here the first thing he did was emphasize the hiring of John Lott for strength and conditioning.

What has Gase done in this area?

I do not think the team values strength and conditioning and my arguement is validated with all the injuries.

I listen to all the football shows, read all the posts here and not once has anyone mentioned this problem.

And oh its a real problem.

I really hope they can find the next head coach who values strength and conditioning.

It needs to be addressed imo.

I think we have one of the worst strength and conditioning programs in the league, and it’s not just based on the amount of injuries, but our soft tissue injuries definitely seem to last a lot longer. They also seemed to have lasted even longer since Gase has been here, which was also a knock on him down in Miami. I guess people aren’t rushing off the trainer’s table to play for a lying loser.

Overall in sports though I believe that today’s athletes are OVER-EXERCISNG. There are too many injuries in all sports, compared to 60s / 70s / 80s/ and 90s, because they’re overextending their bodies.

Yes, today’s athletes can lift more, run faster, jump higher, etc. But the amount of working is stretching ligaments, pulling tendons, and stressing out the muscles to extents that the human body isn’t built for.

You get more short term gains, but bigger long term problems. Just my two cents anyway.

How many pulled hamstring did Bucktus, Lambert, Rice, etc have? It’s obscene amounts today.

40 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Are you sure the jets suffer injuries at a rate greater than the league average? 

If you look around the league you see plenty of teams decimated by injuries. They are just deeper and better coaches so they manage to win games despite some of those injuries. 

This was published before the 2019 season.  We were third-worst over the prior four years: https://www.sportfacts.org/nfl-injuries-by-team/

In 2019 we were dead last in terms of games lost due to injuries:  https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2020/2019-adjusted-games-lost-part-ii

image.png

That brings us to 2020.  As of week 5, we appear to have been the 2nd worst team (behind SF) according to this graphic:

So yeah, I'd say that puts the Jets as one of, if not the, worst team in the NFL in terms of man-games lost due to injury.

• Upvote 1

The Jets are really the perfect example of how much of a difference your training staff could make.  In the days of Lott and then Alosi, the Jets were regularly among the very healthiest of teams, with the exception of one particular china doll that shall not be named.

Since then, injuries have gone up dramatically, and gotten to their very worst since Gase came to town, which is a trend that has followed him around.  In the past, Gase apologists had used it as an excuse for his ineptitude, when the evidence suggests he deserves a share of the blame.

Bottom line, it's on the very long list of things that need to be addressed in the housecleaning that better be coming this offseason.

• Upvote 1

The Jets should hire the Iowa strength coach just fired...for using racial slurs.  But he was the best in college football

Strength and Conditioning reports to Gase

Training and their 10 interns report to Hymie. 

two problems right there that need to be fixed. 

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets should hire the Iowa strength coach just fired...for using racial slurs.  But he was the best in college football

Strength and Conditioning reports to Gase

Training and their 10 interns report to Hymie. 

two problems right there that need to be fixed. 

Hymie being involved in any football related decisions is very Steve Gutman esque.  Its dumb!

• Upvote 1