Jump to content

Recommended Posts

We don’t normally visit the jersey shore as we have a house in East Hampton. However we are selling it and so want to check out some towns.  We want under 2.5 hour commute and need to have ability for pool.  We have stayed at spring lake which we liked.  Also LBI but that’s not a weekend place from nyc. 
 

any other towns that might work?  Two kids in elementary school. Not heavy drinkers. But like to go to nice places to eat. Seems to be issue down the shore. 
 

thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

We don’t normally visit the jersey shore as we have a house in East Hampton. However we are selling it and so want to check out some towns.  We want under 2.5 hour commute and need to have ability for pool.  We have stayed at spring lake which we liked.  Also LBI but that’s not a weekend place from nyc. 
 

any other towns that might work?  Two kids in elementary school. Not heavy drinkers. But like to go to nice places to eat. Seems to be issue down the shore. 
 

thanks

This is a permanent house, i.e. the kids will go to school there?  How close to the beach do you want to be?

Do you have a realtor if not I have one I can recommend.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Maxman said:

This is a permanent house, i.e. the kids will go to school there?  How close to the beach do you want to be?

Do you have a realtor if not I have one I can recommend.

Not permanent so school isn’t important.  The closeness to the beach I assume varries by town. Both cost and environmental concerns.  Ideally bike to beach is okay.  Prefer walk. 
 

for now set on realtor but if changes will let you know. It might change. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been following Jersey Shore real estate for years. It's very expensive a nicer home with a pool on the barrier islands will cost you anywhere from $750k on up. Most of the properties are small and the pool takes up the entire backyard at the beach houses. 

Toms River and Brick are good options but not that close to the beach. 

A friend of mine just bought a house in Forked River N.J price was decent and taxes aren't that bad. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 sale 

Inside Joe Pesci’s $6.5 million New Jersey beach house

February 9, 2021 

Movie tough guy Joe Pesci may be having a tough time selling his New Jersey mansion.

The 78-year-old “Goodfellas” star has relisted his shore beach house in Lavallette for $6.5 million, uncompromisingly offering no discounts on the 7,200-square-foot property, which he first listed in November 2019, according to the listing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, batman10023 said:

Not permanent so school isn’t important.  The closeness to the beach I assume varries by town. Both cost and environmental concerns.  Ideally bike to beach is okay.  Prefer walk. 
 

for now set on realtor but if changes will let you know. It might change. 

That makes a big difference not needing the school.  Buy in Deal, it is one of the more expensive towns in the state but it is incredible.  :)

I love Sea Bright, it is exploding there really cool small town with a down town that was destroyed by Sandy and rebuilt bigger than before. The problem is traffic. It is one lane in and one lane out. The beach clubs there are high end.

Any town that is close to Sandy Hook will have ferry access to NYC. Atlantic Highlands is a Raritan Bay town that you could look at. Pretty cool vibe there.

Otherwise Asbury is well documented but I would avoid that personally. Bradley Beach is cleaning up pretty nice right next door.  Belmar is still a party town but there are some family sections that are incredible.

I think anything further south than that would put you kind of far from NY.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter and her fiancé  recently bought a home in Eatontown/Long Branch really nice area. 

Close to Pier Village Long Branch  and Sea Bright as @Maxman mentioned exploding small town. 

Years ago we were under contract to buy a beach home/vacation home in Ocean Beach N.J near Lavallette N.J things got really ugly with a land lease wound up backing out of the deal. 

Never ever buy a home with a land lease. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

My daughter and her fiancé  recently bought a home in Eatontown/Long Branch really nice area. 

Close to Pier Village Long Branch  and Sea Bright as @Maxman mentioned exploding small town. 

Years ago we were under contract to buy a beach home/vacation home in Ocean Beach N.J near Lavallette N.J things got really ugly with a land lease wound up backing out of the deal. 

Never ever buy a home with a land lease. 

 

Congrats to your daughter. That is a nice area.  Long Branch on the water, WOW. It is exploding so much building going on. So nice there.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2021 at 11:02 PM, batman10023 said:

We don’t normally visit the jersey shore as we have a house in East Hampton. However we are selling it and so want to check out some towns.  We want under 2.5 hour commute and need to have ability for pool.  We have stayed at spring lake which we liked.  Also LBI but that’s not a weekend place from nyc. 
 

any other towns that might work?  Two kids in elementary school. Not heavy drinkers. But like to go to nice places to eat. Seems to be issue down the shore. 
 

thanks

My aunt has two places that she uses for herself and as rentals in Loveladies/Harvey Cedars area.  I've been there many times.  It's very nice.

Why the move from out east?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ortley is a great place. Very close to the boardwalk in Seaside Heights but far enough away to avoid the craziness and closer to NY than other beach towns. Lavallette is right next door but probably pricier. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2021 at 4:15 PM, joewilly12 said:

I have been following Jersey Shore real estate for years. It's very expensive a nicer home with a pool on the barrier islands will cost you anywhere from $750k on up. Most of the properties are small and the pool takes up the entire backyard at the beach houses. 

Toms River and Brick are good options but not that close to the beach. 

A friend of mine just bought a house in Forked River N.J price was decent and taxes aren't that bad. 

 

 

 

we really need a pool which limits our options.  we want to be close to the beach but we do not need to be 1-2 houses from the beach.  but walking distance.  (not across the road in LBI for example - the one town down there that we know).

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TeddEY said:

My aunt has two places that she uses for herself and as rentals in Loveladies/Harvey Cedars area.  I've been there many times.  It's very nice.

Why the move from out east?

we were there this summer and it got us interested.  it was nice.

The prices out east are crazy high.   i just don't feel like it's worth it.  At the price we listed it for we could fund college for our two kids (at a fancy private college) and have a little left over.

Our house is just not nice and i don't feel like putting in the money to make it nicer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

we were there this summer and it got us interested.  it was nice.

The prices out east are crazy high.   i just don't feel like it's worth it.  At the price we listed it for we could fund college for our two kids (at a fancy private college) and have a little left over.

Our house is just not nice and i don't feel like putting in the money to make it nicer.

Very different feel on LBI than out east.  Certainly less in the way of great restaurants, but perhaps also for that reason, less of a scene.  True beach homes, not country homes near the beach.

We're new to the first home mortgage, so far off from a 2nd, but I think we'd probably look into LBI over Hamptons at this point.  Slightly easier drive, expensive still, but maybe a bit more manageable.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Why jersey? You can come to the Gold Coast of CT and be shunned as new money and pay high taxes and we have rocky , thin beaches!

Train service to GCT is pretty sweet tho 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Drums said:

Ortley is a great place. Very close to the boardwalk in Seaside Heights but far enough away to avoid the craziness and closer to NY than other beach towns. Lavallette is right next door but probably pricier. 

Ortley Beach was hit really hard by Hurricane Sandy glad they recovered. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, batman10023 said:

buy.  but might rent for a year or two to make sure it's okay.  will be a big shock and we might not like it.  

Sea Girt is a dream.  Lovely village-feel and a very clean beach with a charming boardwalk and shops and restaurants.

Start there.

SAR I

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Sea Girt is a dream.  Lovely village-feel and a very clean beach with a charming boardwalk and shops and restaurants.

Start there.

SAR I

It sure is a dream. 

Cheapest home a 4 br cape cod $1 million dollars. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SAR I said:

Sea Girt is a dream.  Lovely village-feel and a very clean beach with a charming boardwalk and shops and restaurants.

Start there.

SAR I

Will check it out.  How does this compare to spring lake?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Very different feel on LBI than out east.  Certainly less in the way of great restaurants, but perhaps also for that reason, less of a scene.  True beach homes, not country homes near the beach.

We're new to the first home mortgage, so far off from a 2nd, but I think we'd probably look into LBI over Hamptons at this point.  Slightly easier drive, expensive still, but maybe a bit more manageable.

We have 2 kids now. The eating scene is not as important.  The true beach home might be what we want.   But been in East Hampton for 20 years. It’s all I know. 
 

that home is our only mortgage.  We bought in the crisis when priced dipped there but hadn’t dropped in the city.   Now it’s flipped around and looking to buyin the city and beach.  The city probably more important given the prices have dropped a bunch. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, batman10023 said:

Will check it out.  How does this compare to spring lake?

Similar residents, but Sea Girt has the more summer/laid back vibe IMO.  Spring Lake is more like a year round/uppity village.  

I would take the best home I could find in either.  Definitely visit both. They are adjacent, easy to do. 

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SAR I said:

Similar residents, but Sea Girt has the more summer/laid back vibe IMO.  Spring Lake is more like a year round/uppity village.  

I would take the best home I could find in either.  Definitely visit both. They are adjacent, easy to do. 

SAR I

which town is your beach house in?

i think better value is to low ball something in the city and rent weekend home for a year or two.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

which town is your beach house in?

i think better value is to low ball something in the city and rent weekend home for a year or two.  

Our place is up in Maine, we lived in New England for 14 years before moving back to the NYC area and held onto it after relocating.  We go Memorial Day weekend to open it and two weeks every August.  The rest of the time we rent it out.  

The kids are growing and they have less and less interest in trekking up north so we’re going to start looking in Sea Girt for a place, closer to home and the kids.  

SAR I

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2021 at 1:56 PM, joewilly12 said:

Ortley Beach was hit really hard by Hurricane Sandy glad they recovered. 

 

Yup I was living there at the time but going back up north on weekends to play in my band. Figured I'd be back on Sunday but woah. The house was on the bay and got destroyed It was like a bomb hit that place. It was nuts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SAR I said:

Our place is up in Maine, we lived in New England for 14 years before moving back to the NYC area and held onto it after relocating.  We go Memorial Day weekend to open it and two weeks every August.  The rest of the time we rent it out.  

The kids are growing and they have less and less interest in trekking up north so we’re going to start looking in Sea Girt for a place, closer to home and the kids.  

SAR I

I was going to buy in Deal  but the market is just exploding right now and the homes are a little overpriced for my budget. 

Good luck. 

joewilly12 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SAR I said:

Our place is up in Maine, we lived in New England for 14 years before moving back to the NYC area and held onto it after relocating.  We go Memorial Day weekend to open it and two weeks every August.  The rest of the time we rent it out.  

The kids are growing and they have less and less interest in trekking up north so we’re going to start looking in Sea Girt for a place, closer to home and the kids.  

SAR I

Now i remember Maine.  How are rentals there?  We rent outs out in August pay the mortgage for the year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2021 at 4:28 PM, nj meadowlands said:

I'm also in Ortley.  I like the barrier island because it's close (90 mins from NYC), and appropriately beachy.  But real estate wise it is very pricy.  Like, unsustainably pricy.  I wouldn't be shocked to see a bubble burst soon.

I think the whole state is like that right now. The town I am in is being flooded with NY'ers. We are a ferry ride away (40 minutes) from the city.

The house next to me, the lady that lived there passed away. It is a very small house, needs so much work. It isn't a knock down but it is close. Nice piece of property. Anyhow they listed it a price that made my jaw drop. And it sold in a few days.  2.5% interest rates are fueling this but it is so scary.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2021 at 6:01 PM, Matt39 said:

Is there any point of going to the city? Will there be any in 3 years?

My hope is the city is still alive with Broadway, night life, great bars and restaraunts. But I don't see how people are going to commute into the city when so many companies are going fully virtual. There is just no need to give away 3-4 hours of your life on mass transit each day. Pointless.

So to your point, the city already looks very different. What it will be in 3 years I have no clue.

On 2/12/2021 at 12:20 AM, batman10023 said:

Will check it out.  How does this compare to spring lake?

You wouldn't go wrong with either but if I could pick Spring Lake would probably be my first choice. Amazing town.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Maxman said:

My hope is the city is still alive with Broadway, night life, great bars and restaraunts. But I don't see how people are going to commute into the city when so many companies are going fully virtual. There is just no need to give away 3-4 hours of your life on mass transit each day. Pointless.

So to your point, the city already looks very different. What it will be in 3 years I have no clue.

You wouldn't go wrong with either but if I could pick Spring Lake would probably be my first choice. Amazing town.

Right- I mean what’s a monthly pass to GC these days go for? Who’s buying those? The trains must be dead. How does the MTA survive? It’s truly unbelievable what they did/are doing to the city. Most of the UES bars  we used to hang in have all closed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...