UDFA Signings

On 5/3/2021 at 9:07 AM, Lith said:

Confirmed.  Hoge has signed his UDFA deal.

This seems like a big deal that we signed Zach's RG.

Except I guess that we also drafted Sam's LT and that didn't work out...

Anyone know if Hoge can play?

On 5/1/2021 at 10:11 PM, clayton163v said:

"Hamilcar commanded the Carthaginian land forces in Sicily from 247 BC to 241 BC, during the latter stages of the First Punic War. He kept his army intact and led a successful guerrilla war against the Romans in Sicily."

Carthage bit the dust centuries later in the third Punic War.  Hamilcar held up his end.   However, Hannibal was the bomb in the second Punic War.  His annihilation of the Roman Army in the battle of Cannae is still talked about today.  Though in the end, the Romans were too many and too strong. 

Carthage was ruled by a merchant class that believed they could negotiate a peace with Rome by putting Rome in a position where a negotiated peace was a good “business” decision. They were wrong. Rome had more of a farmer mentality and viewed land as worth dieing for and would stop at nothing to revenge a foreign invasion on its own soil. Misreading your enemy has been repeated many times in history. The Nazis misread US resolve. The US misread the extent to which the vietcong were driven by patriotism. Etc... But Carthage is the clear winner by virtue of starting 3 wars with Rome it could not win.

So, like many great military leaders Hamilcar and Hannibal were hung to dry by political leaders who lacked an achievable end game. See Desert Storm.

On a counter note, the Japanese did not misread the US in WW2 and knew that if they didn’t cripple the US presence in the Atlantic swiftly, the engine that was the US economy/resources/manpower would eventually easily over run their tiny island nation.

13 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

This seems like a big deal that we signed Zach's RG.

Except I guess that we also drafted Sam's LT and that didn't work out...

Anyone know if Hoge can play?

I've watched so much tape on Wilson I actually know some of these guys.  LOL

Yeah he can play for a UDFA.  Was the top rated C in the country coming out of HS.  Went to Note Dame I think.  Sat out a year and transferred to BYU.  Had Covid this year.  Seems to be a decent player, nothing special about him.  

I see him making the PS 

7 hours ago, jetsrule128 said:

Not sure if this is a try out or sign 

He’s a TE, thought he was EDGE based on the image in that tweet. Didn’t see the preceding ADVANT...  wtf would they do that??