Mac Jones Mediocre Again Today?

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Speaking of the Chiefs, how different was Matt Cassell's career in Kansas City, opposed to New England? Success in New England and disappointment in Kansas City. Imagine if Alex Smith started out with Andy Reid in KC instead of Mike Nolan in San Francisco. Even the Rams made a scrub like Marc Bulger look good post Kurt Warner. Trent Dilfer succeeded in Baltimore compared to Tampa Bay. How did you like Steve Young with the Yuccaneers  before joining Bill Walsh's 49ers? Bottom line location matters more to the success of a quarterback than how high they were drafted. 

When we talk location, we’re really talking system, surrounding talent… of course they matter.

In fact how high they are drafted is often a hindrance, not a help to most young QBs. Guys who go 1 and 2, like Trevor, Baker and Zach usually end up on really bad teams. The guys drafted later like Lamar and Jones obviously go to better ones.

In the end though, talent is what matters most. Herbert, Burrow, even Baker showed right away they had “it”. Those who don’t, take their team on that 3-4 year ride to nowhere.

Unfortunately, the way QBs are immediately thrown out there in most cases today, it seems like what you’re seeing is what you’ve got. If a guy shows his talent, he’s got a chance. If he struggles early they rarely turn it around.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

People really tempting the bump gods with Mac lol

lol I'm very comfortable with that...this dude is maxed out right now.  That's not to say he doesnt have a nice career and isnt better than his peers, I just dont think you're ever getting more out of Mac Jones then you are right now.  He's just very limited.

Besides, wont be the first and certainly not the last lol bump worthy post.

6 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

lol I'm very comfortable with that...this dude is maxed out right now.  That's not to say he doesnt have a nice career and isnt better than his peers, I just dont think you're ever getting more out of Mac Jones then you are right now.  He's just very limited.

I'll take that bet. He's already pretty good and very likely to get better.

53 minutes ago, jgb said:

I'll take that bet. He's already pretty good and very likely to get better.

I guess it depends on what the criteria is here.  Get better, how?  Take better care of the ball?  Make better decisions?  Has better stats? etc  Or do you think he pulls a Tom Brady and eats so much HGH over 20 years that you become a completely different player and suddenly isnt a fat, slow, unathletic, weak armed QB.

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

I remember watching his first pro day on the NFL network, and it was nothing special. I forget who the sideline reporter was that night, but he made a very interesting point. Said he overheard a few scouts talking to one another, and they were asking each other if they thought he has any upside from here. Strange question to be asking in my opinion. Jones reminds me of the kid who is the best player in his Little league at 12, but in 3 years the other kids grow and get better and he doesn't even make his HS team.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

He really is a system QB. His ceiling is lower than Zachs. We need to fix the O line.  Zach needs to take what’s given to him. 

ZACH WILL BE THE BEST QB IN THIS DRAFT BY HIS 3RD YEAR. WRITE IT DOWN. 

this is a marathon not a sprint. 

Hate to tell you but the ceiling has come down on Zach

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

So Mac Jones can’t make the “off platform” throws that Zach can?

Something about floors and ceilings, ignore what we are actually seeing 

I dont think it's ignoring anything, at least not from my perspective.  Jones is clearly the best of the rookie class, I think situation plays a factor but still, I just dont see where Jones game goes from here.  Sure, maybe he's less turnover prone and maybe he gets through progressions faster but I dont see him suddenly being athletic or his arm getting stronger or him ever being more than somewhere between Baker Mayfield and Kirk Cousins, which is fine, by all standards, I guess but even as bad as all the other dudes have been, I think I'd still be more intrigued by their upside because they do have elite traits, for the most part.  

4 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I dont think it's ignoring anything, at least not from my perspective.  Jones is clearly the best of the rookie class, I think situation plays a factor but still, I just dont see where Jones game goes from here.  Sure, maybe he's less turnover prone and maybe he gets through progressions faster but I dont see him suddenly being athletic or his arm getting stronger or him ever being more than somewhere between Baker Mayfield and Kirk Cousins, which is fine, by all standards, I guess but even as bad as all the other dudes have been, I think I'd still be more intrigued by their upside because they do have elite traits, for the most part.  

Best comparison I can make is actually a guy who played for the same team. Mac Jones is Tony Eason. Some early success, but is the same player 3 years later, and the other guys blow right by him.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

Best comparison I can make is actually a guy who played for the same team. Mac Jones is Tony Eason. Some early success, but is the same player 3 years later, and the other guys blow right by him.

I think he can get better, he's just a rookie, but how much better I guess is what I question. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, section314 said:

If you look solely at the numbers, Mac Jones is on pace to have a rookie season that is at least comparable statistically to Tony Eason's two best - and only decent - seasons in 1984 and 1986.  (And, by the way, I was shocked to see that Eason even had two decent seasons, as he was never even the best QB on his own team at any point in time). 

But the numbers don't tell the whole story, as Mac is widely praised in his current locker room and by his college teammates as a great leader and for his poise and toughness.  On the other hand, Eason was reviled by his teammates and derided by them as "soft".   Despite a couple of decent statistical seasons, Eason never seemed to have the makeup or leadership qualities of a NFL QB, which Mac appears have in spades.  

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

I guess it depends on what the criteria is here.  Get better, how?  Take better care of the ball?  Make better decisions?  Has better stats? etc  Or do you think he pulls a Tom Brady and eats so much HGH over 20 years that you become a completely different player and suddenly isnt a fat, slow, unathletic, weak armed QB.

Sorry not suggesting an actual wager. Just saying I think he's gonna get materially better.

I wouldn't bet on a clone made from Tom Brady's DNA to become the next Tom Brady.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Better2bgreenthanblue said:

That's brutal. So much the "Patriots way"....wow I guess Beli has his protege.

Lots of pearl-clutching from the Panthers about this play, but I guess it depends on whether you believe Mac when he says that he thought Burns had the ball.  Mac has had plenty of other opportunities to cheap shot opponents but this is the first example I am aware of, so he might get the benefit of the doubt.  That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets fined so that the league can appease the lobbyists.

24 minutes ago, AFCEastFan said:

If you look solely at the numbers, Mac Jones is on pace to have a rookie season that is at least comparable statistically to Tony Eason's two best - and only decent - seasons in 1984 and 1986.  (And, by the way, I was shocked to see that Eason even had two decent seasons, as he was never even the best QB on his own team at any point in time). 

But the numbers don't tell the whole story, as Mac is widely praised in his current locker room and by his college teammates as a great leader and for his poise and toughness.  On the other hand, Eason was reviled by his teammates and derided by them as "soft".   Despite a couple of decent statistical seasons, Eason never seemed to have the makeup or leadership qualities of a NFL QB, which Mac appears have in spades.  

Good points.

13 hours ago, Biggs said:

The Jets had the best rushing attack in the league and the best D.  The Pats are 19th in rushing yards right now.  Top 10 D but not close to what Sanchez had.  

Yes, and the Patriots have supposedly the greatest Head Coach in NFL history and a top Offensive Coordinator.  Sanchez had Rex Ryan and Brian Schottenheimer.