Kiper has lost his mind with this pick at 4 for the Jets...

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Because we just drafted Kedon Slovis Jr at #2?

I think because Wilson threw a ton of back shoulder at BYU and London’s frame/ball skills allowed him to be really good at that in college. London has a chance to be pretty solid if he used the right way, he’s good at the stuff that’s important for wide receivers.

I think he’s a bit of a square peg round hole fit wise with this current WR group - aside from the need with a go to guy on offense and that’s a lot for him to bite off as a rookie - but so was Moore last year. Douglas definitely drafts with a longer term view.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, derp said:

I think because Wilson threw a ton of back shoulder at BYU and London’s frame/ball skills allowed him to be really good at that in college. London has a chance to be pretty solid if he used the right way, he’s good at the stuff that’s important for wide receivers.

I think he’s a bit of a square peg round hole fit wise with this current WR group - aside from the need with a go to guy on offense and that’s a lot for him to bite off as a rookie - but so was Moore last year. Douglas definitely drafts with a longer term view.

I was just teasing @FidelioJet with the Slovis line but, yeah, I can see the appeal of London in this offense as a means to help Wilson along. My concern would be that he’d be the de facto move TE in this offense and I’m not sure his body type will hold up to that kind of abuse with the way he plays. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I was just teasing @FidelioJet with the Slovis line but, yeah, I can see the appeal of London in this offense as a means to help Wilson along. My concern would be that he’d be the de facto move TE in this offense and I’m not sure his body type will hold up to that kind of abuse with the way he plays. 

I tend to agree actually.  His lack of separation in college scares me the most - but watching Zach's film  - he does seem to be missing a target like that...

But to your point, is that a role our TE's can play?  

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I do genuinely mean the square peg round hole comment. I think on a different team I'd find London a more exciting prospect than I do for the Jets. Even a few years ago when Michael Thomas was crushing the league, so there's a degree of recency bias there.

I feel like London plays within 30 yards of the line of scrimmage and doesn't meaningfully change the way defenses can squeeze the field with the lack of vertical threats. But a vertical threat with London and Moore probably works. If London can beat press, he had a decent track record there, then that's an improvement as well. He's a tricky evaluation.

I'm trying to talk myself into it in advance because he rocks that C on his chest and I feel like that's classic Douglas, but I think the Jets offense needs to work on pushing the ball down the field to open up the run game and make Wilson better and I don't know how much London really helps there. And genuinely don't know, not saying he can't.

• Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, DoomProphet said:

First of all, my apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

IMO he has the biggest risk out of all the receivers (including Jameson Williams) he's slow, and doesn't separate very much, and especially since the Jets have an offense where route running and separation are paramount and that's a problem. The NFL is trending towards receivers like Kupp, Diggs, Jefferson, etc who are exceptional route runners. Sure he can probably get about 10 TDs a year with his size but I don't see him making much of an impact between the 20's. He probably should be picked between 15-20 in the draft, too much of a reach to get him at 10.

I've been wrong before but I don't see it with him. If I'm wrong I'll will come back and proudly eat my crow.

This makes sense. Thanks for explaining

5 hours ago, DoomProphet said:

First of all, my apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

IMO he has the biggest risk out of all the receivers (including Jameson Williams) he's slow, and doesn't separate very much, and especially since the Jets have an offense where route running and separation are paramount and that's a problem. The NFL is trending towards receivers like Kupp, Diggs, Jefferson, etc who are exceptional route runners. Sure he can probably get about 10 TDs a year with his size but I don't see him making much of an impact between the 20's. He probably should be picked between 15-20 in the draft, too much of a reach to get him at 10.

I've been wrong before but I don't see it with him. If I'm wrong I'll will come back and proudly eat my crow.

How do you come down with 88 catches in 8 games and be label as a guy that can't separate? Most importantly he tops the class in regards to beating press coverage. Something that separates the amateurs from the pros. Separation requires agility/short area quickness. Something that's prevalent when you watch his YAC plays. If we're looking for a WR that can blow the top off the defense in long developing deep routes then he's not the one. But that's not our offense. London would be a good addition in diversifying our WR unit.

On 4/8/2022 at 10:15 AM, T0mShane said:

Interestingly, in that 96 draft, the Jets passed on a rock solid tackle prospect (Jon Ogden) and an enigmatic pass rusher (Simeon Rice) to take Keyshawn Johnson. Jacksonville, picking at 2, went the safe route and took ILB Kevin Hardy. The Giants took Cedric Jones at 5, iirc, and that guy didn’t last five years in the league.

This would be the argument to take a potential HOFer in a position that maybe we don't have such a great need at (e.g. Ikwonu) rather than just draft a guy to "fill a need"

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

How do you come down with 88 catches in 8 games and be label as a guy that can't separate? Most importantly he tops the class in regards to beating press coverage. Something that separates the amateurs from the pros. Separation requires agility/short area quickness. Something that's prevalent when you watch his YAC plays. If we're looking for a WR that can blow the top off the defense in long developing deep routes then he's not the one. But that's not our offense. London would be a good addition in diversifying our WR unit.

Agree 100%. I've watched quite a bit of London and he does create separation. The issue watching from a fans perspective, is he not creating the separation of a 5 10 guy in the open field. But, for his size he does a great job of giving his QB a target, and to your point he's top of the class against press. Honestly, looking over this year's class, there are more vertical speed guys, than guys like London. I'd grab London, then look to the middle rounds for that speed guy, like a Calvin Austin, Bo Melton, Tiquan Thorton.

At the bottom of this article is Blewits film review. It's a long watch, but the cut ups are good because he did the work to consolidate a good amount of plays. Not saying you need to agree with everything he says, but it's a good resource for play cut ups to form your own opinions. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jetsxfactor.com/2022/04/11/drake-london-best-wr-2022-nfl-draft-ny-jets-film/amp/