Curious, to my Jets brethren here who are NHL fans--

Obviously the majority here are Americans -- largely Islanders and Rangers fans (and a smatter of others maybe)

Curious how lo know in your sports circles and media -- just how little fcks are given to the battle of Alberta between Edmonton and Calgary?.. Does is it really draw any conversation/viewership in any capacity? or just a "whatever, eliminate each other for all we care"

In my old stomping grounds this match up is like "shut the fcking towns down" --- full on gladiator thunderdome stuff. The world the stops turning.... i've always wonder how little of that bleeds over. 

billy-sole-predator.gif

Our local mainstream media here in the NYC area, apart from one guy who does Ranger pre and post game as well as fill in radio announcer, wouldn't know a hockey puck if it hit them on the side of their inflated heads. They would rather talk about the abject failures that the Nets and Knicks are than anything hockey. It's almost like they feel insulted that they have to devote part of their show to the Rangers playoff run. 

I had Devils tix from 1987-2004, and was there to see them win 2 cups. I love hockey, but haven't watched as much the last 2-3 years because my team can't get out of it's own way. Only made the playoffs twice in like the last 12 years. I remember so many of the great Oiler/Flame series over the years, and the just brutal hatred they have for each other. The only thing I think that most here on JN could equate it to would be a Jets/Pats AFC championship game, and that might not even be fair. I think Barry Melrose said it best the other night......"You want Calgary? OK, but be prepared to pay the physical price." Enjoy the series. I will be watching from a far.

• Upvote 1

Hockey is my favorite sport so I'm all about this series. The only sports media I watch has to do with sports betting and the ones I watch actually know the games they bet on. I wouldn't be caught dead watching ESPN and the like unless it's a live sporting event. Trash programming from trash people. 

• Upvote 2

I live in Canada and personally I find the battles of Alberta and Florida much more exciting than the other 2 series. 

The Rangers are a young fun team but I don't think they have the rivalry of the inter province/state series. 

The AVS are just going to roll through the blues so that series is a wash too.

To answer your question, yes. There are happenings outside of the state of New York.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Flightattendant said:

I live in Canada and personally I find the battles of Alberta and Florida much more exciting than the other 2 series. 

The Rangers are a young fun team but I don't think they have the rivalry of the inter province/state series. 

The AVS are just going to roll through the blues so that series is a wash too.

To answer your question, yes. There are happenings outside of the state of New York.

I would expect to see a much more engaged Panther team tonight. 

OT but in regards to local circles: I live in Alabama but it's a tourist town so I actually talk more hockey than I thought I would when I moved here. Lot of Preds and Blues fans. Hockey games are requested at bars during playoffs, for sure. That said, generally speaking, SEC fans know dick about football outside of the SEC. They're aware of Clemson though. Always found that kinda ridiculous.

14 hours ago, Paradis said:

Obviously the majority here are Americans -- largely Islanders and Rangers fans (and a smatter of others maybe)

Curious how lo know in your sports circles and media -- just how little fcks are given to the battle of Alberta between Edmonton and Calgary?.. Does is it really draw any conversation/viewership in any capacity? or just a "whatever, eliminate each other for all we care"

In my old stomping grounds this match up is like "shut the fcking towns down" --- full on gladiator thunderdome stuff. The world the stops turning.... i've always wonder how little of that bleeds over. 

billy-sole-predator.gif

I watched a little bit after the Rangers game. Should have watched more apparently. Sadly most don't care but I know that that rivalry is up there with the Rangers vs Islanders. In the old days Montreal vs Quebec. Pittsburgh vs Philly etc.

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

They are a special team. Cooper is so far the best coach in the league, it's not funny. BTW, if I'm the Panthers, I'm on the phone with Barry Trotz as soon as this post is finished.?

Probably has to have something to do with the no tax in Florida too. That's 20% more take home than playing in a Canadian market.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, section314 said:

They are a special team. Cooper is so far the best coach in the league, it's not funny. BTW, if I'm the Panthers, I'm on the phone with Barry Trotz as soon as this post is finished.?

They are the best run team in pro sports at the moment. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/19/2022 at 12:17 AM, Paradis said:

billy-sole-predator.gif

First time I heard battle of Alberta was this year. 
games have been very fun to watch. Being in NY. I don’t see much west coast games. I wake up early and they start to late but it’s been fun to watch. 

on a side note. With the exception of a few games, it really has been a great post season entertainment wise so far 

• Upvote 2