If you have players on a rookie contracts, that you know you will want to retain

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/24/disney-apple-and-amazon-keep-waiting-as-nfl-considers-sunday-ticket-offers.html#:~:text=DirecTV paid %241.5 billion per,the upcoming 2022-23 season.

Now would be a very good time to extend them.

With reports that the NFL Sunday Ticket package will be sold to a streaming service (Apple (ughhh) Disney (ughhh) and Amazon appear to be the leading contenders) and that price tag will TRIPLE what the NFL currently receives, 2022 and 2023 salary cap dollars dollars are going to be much more valuable than 2024 dollars and beyond. Salary caps should incrementally increase with some huge jumps due to the new revenue.

Smart clubs will start extending players that they know are a large part of the future. What that may mean for the Jets? Not sure if we have those players we are absolutely positive deserve that early recognition. 

As for watching games, streaming is a deterrent for me in watching. The hope is (and it really has to happen) is that the winning bidder will sell dish rights to Directv (or Dish), for those that live remotely and don't have reliable streaming. Like me that has a second home that I do not even have wifi in. 

Hate having to stream game, because the ability to jump from game to game quickly and efficiently is not as reliable as a dish or cable. That will be a shame. 

Should be a real game changer though, in how the NFL is structured in the future. 

• Upvote 1

Makes sense, but if agents know this, do they advise their guys to sign any new deals now? Maybe the mid-tier guys? Would imagine the upper crust players will wait it out and get way more money.

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Hate having to stream game, because the ability to jump from game to game quickly and efficiently is not as reliable as a dish or cable. That will be a shame.

I streamed the entire season last year and had no issues at all. As simple as Sunday Ticket on the dish. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, AFJF said:

Makes sense, but if agents know this, do they advise their guys to sign any new deals now? Maybe the mid-tier guys? Would inGine the upper crust players will wait it out and get way more money.

There are risks on both sides. If the guaranteed money is good enough, it provides a hedge against injury for the player. Conversely, for a team, you are creating a risk by laying future money out there.

For an investor (players), money that I can have today is more valuable than money I can get in the future. The famous Bobby Bonilla deferment actually cost him some money, if you do the math correctly.

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Were you able to bounce between several games simultaneously, as efficiently as done on cable or dish?

Maybe more easily, as I could just tap my iPad rather than fumble around with the remote. 

• Upvote 3

it kind of remains to be seen if the streaming services actually create more revenue for the nfl.  there are only so many advertising dollars.  seems like it's more of a reallocation from the networks to the streaming services.  the downside is until 5G or something like musk's starlink is available everywhere we're still stuck with that cable line running to our houses.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, rangerous said:

it kind of remains to be seen if the streaming services actually create more revenue for the nfl.  there are only so many advertising dollars.  seems like it's more of a reallocation from the networks to the streaming services.  the downside is until 5G or something like musk's starlink is available everywhere we're still stuck with that cable line running to our houses.

It absolutely will bring in more revenue. This is not advertising dollars. This is a broadcast rights offer. The streaming services will be paying the NFL a contracted amount of dollars for the rights to broadcast. Advertising dollars are the streaming companies concern. 

Reports I have seen is that these rights will triple current broadcast rights.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

It absolutely will bring in more revenue. This is not advertising dollars. This is a broadcast rights offer. The streaming services will be paying the NFL a contracted amount of dollars for the rights to broadcast. Advertising dollars are the streaming companies concern. 

Reports I have seen is that these rights will triple current broadcast rights.

maybe it will.  the point is these streaming services all have to survive on something.  there's subscription fees and then there are also advertising revenues.  i know when the usual subscription fees are added they are close to what a premium cable service charges, and then you have to pay for the internet service.

37 minutes ago, rangerous said:

maybe it will.  the point is these streaming services all have to survive on something.  there's subscription fees and then there are also advertising revenues.  i know when the usual subscription fees are added they are close to what a premium cable service charges, and then you have to pay for the internet service.

We were discussing the revenues that the NFL will receive from the streaming services. That will be a fixed amount (probably escalating over the years of the contract). . The NFL certainly cares that these services will survive (they will, because there are smart people running them), but these things you bring up here has nothing to do with the NFL and what that will mean to revenues that are shared, which will bump the salary cap over a number of years. 

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

There are risks on both sides. If the guaranteed money is good enough, it provides a hedge against injury for the player. Conversely, for a team, you are creating a risk by laying future money out there.

For an investor (players), money that I can have today is more valuable than money I can get in the future. The famous Bobby Bonilla deferment actually cost him some money, if you do the math correctly.

I think Bobby deferred that money to avoid spending it right away.