The path for the playoffs

choon328

This loss hurt on many levels but it significantly dealt a blow the the Jets playoff chances.  Here are the Wild Card tie breaking procedures:

To Break A Tie For The Wild-Card Team

"If it is necessary to break ties to determine the three Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tiebreaker.

If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs

Head-to-head, if applicable.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

Strength of victory in all games.

Strength of schedule in all games.

Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed in all games.

Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed in all games.

Best net points in conference games.

Best net points in all games.

Best net touchdowns in all games.

Coin toss."

The playoff seeding as of right now are as follows:

1. Chiefs 7-3

2. Dolphins 7-3

3. Titans 7-3

4. Ravens 7-3

5. Bills 7-3

6. Patriots 6-4

7. Bengals 6-4

‐------------------------------

8. Jets 6-4

9. Chargers 5-5

Heres why this is an issue. The Jets lose the head to head battle with the Patriots and Bengals, the two teams directly ahead of them for a wild card birth. I think in order for the Jets to get into a wild card spot they will need to win 11 games now and not 10. Here's how they can do that:

1. Beat the teams they should beat (Bears, Lions and Jaguars). Bears will most likely be without Fields, Lions can score but with the Jets defense, I'm not too concerned. The Lions are 2nd worst against the run and 28th against the pass. Jaguars struggle against the run and their offense is mediocre. All 3 are very winnable games. 

That's gets them to 9 wins. The remaining 4 games are against these teams:

@Vikings

@Bills

@Seahawks

@Dolphins 

The Jets need to win 2 of these games. Preferably the wins come against the Bills and Dolphins bc that gives the Jets the upper hand in tie breakers. In reality I think the 2 games that are most winnable are the Seahawks and Vikings. Out of the 4 I think these two teams defenses are the most vulnerable to be exploited. Although, the Dolphins aren't far behind them. 

That final game against the Dolphins will most likely be for a playoff spot, in my opinion. 

What do you all think?

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

This loss hurt on many levels but it significantly dealt a blow the the Jets playoff chances.  Here are the Wild Card tie breaking procedures:

To Break A Tie For The Wild-Card Team

"If it is necessary to break ties to determine the three Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tiebreaker.

If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs

Head-to-head, if applicable.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

Strength of victory in all games.

Strength of schedule in all games.

Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed in all games.

Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed in all games.

Best net points in conference games.

Best net points in all games.

Best net touchdowns in all games.

Coin toss."

The playoff seeding as of right now are as follows:

1. Chiefs 7-3

2. Dolphins 7-3

3. Titans 7-3

4. Ravens 7-3

5. Bills 7-3

6. Patriots 6-4

7. Bengals 6-4

‐------------------------------

8. Jets 6-4

9. Chargers 5-5

Heres why this is an issue. The Jets lose the head to head battle with the Patriots and Bengals, the two teams directly ahead of them for a wild card birth. I think in order for the Jets to get into a wild card spot they will need to win 11 games now and not 10. Here's how they can do that:

1. Beat the teams they should beat )Bears, Lions and Jaguars). Bears will most likely be without Fields, Lions can score but with the Jets defense, I'm not too concerned. The Lions are 2nd worst against the run and 28th against the pass. Jaguars struggle against the run and their offense is mediocre. All 3 are very winnable games. 

That's gets them to 9 wins. The remaining 4 games are against these teams:

@Vikings

@Bills

@Seahawks

@Dolphins 

The Jets need to win 2 of these games. Preferably the wins come against the Bills and Dolphins bc that gives the Jets the upper hand in tie breakers. In reality I think the 2 games that are most winnable are the Seahawks and Vikings. Out of the 4 I think these two teams defenses are the most vulnerable to be exploited. Although, the Dolphins aren't far behind them. 

That final game against the Dolphins will most likely be for a playoff spot, in my opinion. 

What do you all think?

1st - excellent breakdown.

The Jets need to beat the Bills again and the Dolphins to have a shot. I agree the team should beat the Seahawks and maybe the Vikings if Sauce dominates.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JetsFanNick12 said:

Take a look at the Bengals Chargers and Patriots remaining schedules. They’re really rough. I think 10 secures it. 9 we have a chance. 

Patriots and Bengals play as well so that's a good thing for the Jets as well.

I have huge faith in this defense.  Again this week the Jets were so dominant at times on the defensive line of scrimmage that Jones could barely take a snap before the wave swept towards him.  Clemens bent the edge and sacked Jones in a way that will scare the entire NFL.  His bull rush is NFL quality, if he starts bending edges . . . he is a star (and he had another special team's tackle - a real bag popper too).  

We are truly contenders for the crown.  We will make the playoffs.  I have been watching football for decades.  Zach was the problem.  Is Mike White coming to save us?  No.  But if I had to choose one word to describe White's game it would be "professional".    He is the anti-Zach.  He will not be the reason we lose.  Garrett Wilson was right.  We have the players.  The offensive line is getting healthy.  Time to go out and prove it.

For the first time this season.  I have confidence.  Who among us thinks that Mahomes and the Chiefs will hang a 40 burger on the Jets.  Not me.  No way.  We will drag them and the entire NFL down to our level.  Just like the 85 Bears. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, choon328 said:

What do you all think?

I think that the Patriots won't get to 10 wins.  Have you seen their remaining schedule?  Very brutal.  They haven't played the Bills yet, and Miami one more time.  They play Minnesota this week, and still need to play the Bengals. I think they should beat the Cardinals and Raiders, but they do play both of those games on the road, however.  The Patriots are great when playing the Jets, but I don't think they are a great team.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jet25 said:

If we don't make the playoffs. Has there ever been a team with one of the best defenses in the league and not make the playoffs?

How about this?  The 2008 New England Patriots went 11-5, and missed out on the playoffs!  Couldn't happen to a better team!

• Haha 1

Lets look at it:

If we lose to the Bears, Lions or Jags.  Then we will not make the playoffs without help from other teams.  They will have problems scoring.

As for the rest, I do not want to play Seattle with the playoff spot on the line.  Not only is it a classic Jet set up - getting eliminated by Geno - but like us, they had a tremendous draft.  The two offensive tackles they took go in the top 10 in a redraft.  Both Cross and Lucas are stoning their man.  Not a good matchup for us with Geno on fire.

The Bills?  I hate to bring it up but they were not at full strength.  They were missing Rousseau at defensive end, both Safeties, Tradavious White at Corner and Matt Milano. at LB.  When the Bills are at full strength they are the best team in the NFL.  I do not want to play them either.

The Vikings have made a living beating teams with A strong running game and their elite WR.  Cousins does not miss any gimmees.  But I have confidence that we will shut them down like nothing.  Unlike the Bills, they do not have depth or a scary tight end.  On defense, they are no great shakes.  If we play our game we win.  Easily. 

As for Miami, our defense can shut them down.  They know and we know it.  I am not sacred of Miami.

I see a championship defense.  Possessed of both ability and poise.  And they have gelled.  They know who they are.  They are looking forward to every game.  All of us can see it.  I believe Garrett Wilson exploded because he can see it too.  We are so close.

• Upvote 1

Just win the next game. The Dolphins schedule toughens up and they will lose several games there. I do think that final game will be for a wildcard spot. The Patriots will not make the playoffs. As long as the Jets win the games they’re supposed to and beat Miami to end the season (they should), the playoffs won’t be a problem

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

Geez, laid out like that it's worse than I feared.  That NE game was EXTREMELY important.  Thanks Zack.      

NE has the toughest strength of schedule down the stretch out of all AFC east teams, they will not be anywhere near the playoff picture when it is all said and done. I have them finishing 9-8.

• Upvote 1