Coaching Matters...

Last night I saw some of the best Head Coaching in both games. 

1) The fake 1 yard run to draw Michigan off-sides when there was NO WAY TCU wasn't gonna punt.  The discipline of Michigan was something I told my GF, a typical Jets team jumps off sides, undisciplined.  The delay of game on TCU was meaningless. The next I cut and paste from ESPN. 

2) The kickoff that looked like an onside kick was coming.  They punch kicked it to the 2.  Keeping the receiving team guessing.

3) From ESPN.

Facing fourth-and-1 at Ohio State's 34-yard line, Buckeyes coach Ryan Day sent out his punt team to boot the ball back to the Bulldogs. But assistants in Georgia's coaching box realized the Buckeyes were lined up in a fake punt formation. Bulldogs coach Kirby Smart called timeout, just before OSU tight end Mitch Rossi ran for a first down. A sideline official blew his whistle for a timeout before the Buckeyes snapped the ball, negating the first down

These are things we don't see Jets coaches do. Not just Saleh.... but Saleh is who we have and he is not in the same class with the coaches last night.    Ryan Day, IMO, was the weakest coach out there last night but at least was engaged in the game.  But he is a cheer leader like Saleh.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

Of course coaching matters but you're giving a little too much credit here, IMO...

The fake onside was obvious, nobody in the world was fooled, TCU had it covered the whole way.  It was just a perfectly placed ball forcing the defender to scoop it up.  

And everyone tries to draw D's offside in short yardage 4th downs. 98% of the time, the D holds still, unless that D is the NY Jets.  lol  Not sure how much this is coaching rather than just player discipline, honestly.  I highly doubt coaches tell players to jump there, sometimes the Joe's make mistakes, ya know?  Like when Mosley tried to guess the snap count, he's a veteran and knows better, you're putting that on Saleh?  Nah.  And there is a flip side to this situation: Dykes deciding to draw them off, also cost them 5 yards in an end game scenario, shortening the field for Michigan which could have been very costly.  And on that series, I question why Harbaugh didnt use a time out and instead, let 35 seconds run off, which is odd in college Football w/ the clock stopping on offense for 1st downs.  And then on 3rd down, TCU ran a roll out with an out to the sideline, which I still dont understand how the player wasnt tackled out of bounds.  Pretty silly coaching there if you ask me.

And I'm sorry but Ryan Day was brilliant last night.  Probably the best game he's ever coached.  They out played UGA.  It took a defender falling over to let a WR loose for a bomb TD and then ultimately it took a the FG kicker choke shanking who's only missed 2 in his career (or season, cant remember) because Kirby refused to put a spy on Stroud.

Kirby catching the fake punt was an all timer though.  Possibly saved their season as the next serious for UGA was a 1 play TD.

54 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Last night I saw some of the best Head Coaching in both games. 

1) The fake 1 yard run to draw Michigan off-sides when there was NO WAY TCU wasn't gonna punt.  The discipline of Michigan was something I told my GF, a typical Jets team jumps off sides, undisciplined.  The delay of game on TCU was meaningless. The next I cut and paste from ESPN. 

2) The kickoff that looked like an onside kick was coming.  They punch kicked it to the 2.  Keeping the receiving team guessing.

3) From ESPN.

Facing fourth-and-1 at Ohio State's 34-yard line, Buckeyes coach Ryan Day sent out his punt team to boot the ball back to the Bulldogs. But assistants in Georgia's coaching box realized the Buckeyes were lined up in a fake punt formation. Bulldogs coach Kirby Smart called timeout, just before OSU tight end Mitch Rossi ran for a first down. A sideline official blew his whistle for a timeout before the Buckeyes snapped the ball, negating the first down

These are things we don't see Jets coaches do. Not just Saleh.... but Saleh is who we have and he is not in the same class with the coaches last night.    Ryan Day, IMO, was the weakest coach out there last night but at least was engaged in the game.  But he is a cheer leader like Saleh.

The late game coaching was awful yesterday

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, JiFields said:

Of course coaching matters but you're giving a little too much credit here, IMO...

The fake onside was obvious, nobody in the world was fooled, TCU had it covered the whole way.  It was just a perfectly placed ball forcing the defender to scoop it up.  

And everyone tries to draw D's offside in short yardage 4th downs. 98% of the time, the D holds still, unless that D is the NY Jets.  lol  Not sure how much this is coaching rather than just player discipline, honestly.  I highly doubt coaches tell players to jump there, sometimes the Joe's make mistakes, ya know?  Like when Mosley tried to guess the snap count, he's a veteran and knows better, you're putting that on Saleh?  Nah.  And there is a flip side to this situation: Dykes deciding to draw them off, also cost them 5 yards in an end game scenario, shortening the field for Michigan which could have been very costly.  And on that series, I question why Harbaugh didnt use a time out and instead, let 35 seconds run off, which is odd in college Football w/ the clock stopping on offense for 1st downs.  And then on 3rd down, TCU ran a roll out with an out to the sideline, which I still dont understand how the player wasnt tackled out of bounds.  Pretty silly coaching there if you ask me.

And I'm sorry but Ryan Day was brilliant last night.  Probably the best game he's ever coached.  They out played UGA.  It took a defender falling over to let a WR loose for a bomb TD and then ultimately it took a the FG kicker choke shanking who's only missed 2 in his career (or season, cant remember) because Kirby refused to put a spy on Stroud.

Kirby catching the fake punt was an all timer though.  Possibly saved their season as the next serious for UGA was a 1 play TD.

MY GF's daughter is a junior at OSU so I have to "pretend" to root for them.   Your observations are well received.  98% on the 4th down I think is high.  I was simply fairly impressed with a lot of what I saw and we don't see that as Jets fans.   From Rex forward, we have never been thought of as a well coached team. 

34 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

MY GF's daughter is a junior at OSU so I have to "pretend" to root for them.   Your observations are well received.  98% on the 4th down I think is high.  I was simply fairly impressed with a lot of what I saw and we don't see that as Jets fans.   From Rex forward, we have never been thought of as a well coached team. 

People over rate Rex.. He says terrible at game situations... Bad timeouts, bad clock management, defense was always beat late in games., never could make the game winning stops, defense had trouble holding leads, lots of presnap penalties... 

He was game prepared well, and his teams beat teams that he had no business winning but lost all the 'easy' games. 

• Upvote 1

From a Cimini piece, crediting Narnia:

7. Half empty? Michael Nania of the Jets X-Factor website uncovered an interesting trend about the Jets' offense: It leads the league in plays out of the empty formation, with 123 such plays, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Here's the kicker: The Jets are one of only five teams that hasn't scored a touchdown out of empty formations. The most glaring example of coming up empty out of empty was the fourth-down, goal-line play against the Minnesota Vikings (Braxton Berrios drop).

For a team that wants a strong running game and has suffered pass protection issues with relatively inexperienced quarterbacks, it seems like it might make sense to keep a running back in the backfield more often.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

7. Half empty? Michael Nania of the Jets X-Factor website uncovered an interesting trend about the Jets' offense: It leads the league in plays out of the empty formation, with 123 such plays, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Here's the kicker: The Jets are one of only five teams that hasn't scored a touchdown out of empty formations. The most glaring example of coming up empty out of empty was the fourth-down, goal-line play against the Minnesota Vikings (Braxton Berrios drop).

For a team that wants a strong running game and has suffered pass protection issues with relatively inexperienced quarterbacks, it seems like it might make sense to keep a running back in the backfield more often.

More great coaching!!!!!

28 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

People over rate Rex.. He says terrible at game situations... Bad timeouts, bad clock management, defense was always beat late in games., never could make the game winning stops, defense had trouble holding leads, lots of presnap penalties... 

He was game prepared well, and his teams beat teams that he had no business winning but lost all the 'easy' games. 

Rex always had 12 men on the field on defense in the red zone after pettine left. The vaunted Rex defense sucked after pettine left. Rex was way overrated. And losing was acceptable under Rex, remember the Super Bowl celebration after making it to the prestigious 8-8 mark by winning the last game in Miami?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BP said:

Rex always had 12 men on the field on defense in the red zone after pettine left. The vaunted Rex defense sucked after pettine left. Rex was way overrated. And losing was acceptable under Rex, remember the Super Bowl celebration after making it to the prestigious 8-8 mark by winning the last game in Miami?

I think we lost that game. 2011 we were 8-5, ended up 8-8 losing to Philly, NYG and Miami.  REX then hired Tony Sporano as OC as he assumed Sporano was a genius because he beat the great REX D. REX was a simple minded coach.

Just now, southparkcpa said:

I miss a well disciplined coach.  I am tired of cheerleading coaches.

Well in defense of the cheerleaders, everything is woke now, even our military. I heard boot camp got cut in half of what it used to be and they don’t have to shine shoes or anything anymore. So we don’t want to hurt anybody’s feelings playing a game.

Just now, southparkcpa said:

I think we lost that game. 2011 we were 8-5, ended up 8-8 losing to Philly, NYG and Miami.  REX then hired Tony Sporano as OC as he assumed Sporano was a genius because he beat the great REX D. REX was a simple minded coach.

No, I’m talking about 2013 (they saved his job by going 8-8) by winning the last game in Miami. Then they were awful in 2014 and he got sh*t canned.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Sporanos great idea was to waste a down with Tebow so that Sanchez only has two or sometimes one down to get a first down. #Wrecks

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

ouch Cimini play nice will you