Who would you draft between these 6 players?

bonkertons

Who would you take between these 6 players?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who would be your pick?

• Broderick Jones, LT - Georgia
    • Quentin Johnston, WR - TCU
    • Brian Branch, FS - Alabama
    • Trenton Simpson, LB - Clemson
    • Anthony Richardson, QB - Florida
    • Jared Verse, Edge - FSU

I think every single one provides something attractive for us, and fills a need to some degree.  

1) Broderick Jones - Potential stud LT from day one.  Helps bring stability to a position that's been a weakness now for a long time.  Also immediately improves the QB position regardless of who is under center.

2) Quentin Johnston - Arguably the best WR in this class.  Great size and speed.  Potentially a perfect compliment to Wilson and Moore.  Stabilizes that position for a long, long time.  

3) Brian Branch - one of the most interesting prospects in the draft IMO.  Such a versatile player and a future star at the safety position.  A big need for us and he gives us the chance to solidify the secondary along with Sauce for quite some time.

4) Trenton Simpson - the best LB in the draft.  Whether or not we keep Mosley or bring in a replacement, Simpson would play right away and most likely be a star right away.  This ain't Derron Lee.  This guy is a monster and will give us at least one star player at every level of the defense.

5) Anthony Richardson - the wildcard...  do we take another QB this early after taking Zach?  I think the real question is, if you think he's the next Lamar Jackson, do you give a **** about what people think if you draft him?  I don't.  Only downside with AR is he will sit for a year - mainly because he should, and partly because Zach should have and they're not going to make that mistake again.  Along with Johnston though, there is a good chance he'll be gone when we pick(Carolina?).

6) Jared Verse - the biggest longshot IMO.  After just drafting Jermaine Johnson(trading up to get him), having Huff(who needs to be re-signed), and Clemons also looking to be a big part of the future, this isn't a "need" as much as it is a luxury pick.  There are much bigger needs IMO, but it doesn't change the fact that Verse is a freak and we do need to be more consistent at getting to the QB from the edge position.  As of now it's just mainly been Quinnen which needs to change.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Jones fills the biggest need.

I keep going back and forth on Jones, Branch and Richardson.

Jones is the biggest need(besides QB) and seems like a safe bet to be a quality LT from day one, but Branch seems head and shoulders the top FS in this draft.  It also looks like you COULD find a LT in the 2nd, and could possibly get creative in regards to easing them in - OR you could try to move back up from the 2nd to grab a kid like Anton Harrison from Oklahoma.  It's definitely risky and my preference would be to sit tight and just take the LT at 13, but I would understand if they decided to go this route.

But Richardson is the one I keep going back and forth on.  On one hand it's "I want no part of drafting a QB, at least until next year".  On the other it's "this dude could be THE guy".  Instead of spending $20-30M on a veteran who really isn't even that sexy of an option - be it Jimmy or Carr - we get to put that money towards positions like RG, FS, LB, WR, and instead bring in a cheap short term option to hold the fort for this kid.  Let him sit for a year no matter what.  Learn the offense, develop chemistry with his young WRs, and hand him the keys in 2024.  Again I'd still prefer the safe option and just take the LT at 13, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be excited if I heard Richardson's name announced when we're on the clock.  

23 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I keep going back and forth on Jones, Branch and Richardson.

Jones is the biggest need(besides QB) and seems like a safe bet to be a quality LT from day one, but Branch seems head and shoulders the top FS in this draft.  It also looks like you COULD find a LT in the 2nd, and could possibly get creative in regards to easing them in - OR you could try to move back up from the 2nd to grab a kid like Anton Harrison from Oklahoma.  It's definitely risky and my preference would be to sit tight and just take the LT at 13, but I would understand if they decided to go this route.

But Richardson is the one I keep going back and forth on.  On one hand it's "I want no part of drafting a QB, at least until next year".  On the other it's "this dude could be THE guy".  Instead of spending $20-30M on a veteran who really isn't even that sexy of an option - be it Jimmy or Carr - we get to put that money towards positions like RG, FS, LB, WR, and instead bring in a cheap short term option to hold the fort for this kid.  Let him sit for a year no matter what.  Learn the offense, develop chemistry with his young WRs, and hand him the keys in 2024.  Again I'd still prefer the safe option and just take the LT at 13, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be excited if I heard Richardson's name announced when we're on the clock.  

I keep falling back to thinking about Brick and Nick and the stability they provided for a decade. And it makes me think the Jets should go LT and C in the first and second round. I think plugging high end rookies into those 2 positions is like a force multiplier. It makes every other O lineman better. It makes the QB better. The RBs better and the Receivers better. Adding a really good FS is a luxury with how good the secondary performed with a jag like Joyner at FS. Frankly, I think the a high end DT to go along with Q would have a greater impact on the D as a whole than a FS. I'd be content with adding FS Tykee Smith in the later rounds.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

My point was that QB is obviously the biggest need.  Are you saying that Jones fills the need while Richardson doesn't, or do you honestly believe they need an LT more than QB? 

You are correct. I feel that need meets promise of fulfilling that need makes Jones the pick. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I keep falling back to thinking about Brick and Nick and the stability they provided for a decade. And it makes me think the Jets should go LT and C in the first and second round. I think plugging high end rookies into those 2 positions is like a force multiplier. It makes every other O lineman better. It makes the QB better. The RBs better and the Receivers better. Adding a really good FS is a luxury with how good the secondary performed with a jag like Joyner at FS. Frankly, I think the a high end DT to go along with Q would have a greater impact on the D as a whole than a FS. I'd be content with adding FS Tykee Smith in the later rounds.

Fair.  I think we could potentially move up from the 3rd back into the late 2nd and walk away with a quality C.  Maybe not Mangold level, but a good one.  A kid who should at least be starting right away.  I think if we're going LT in the 1st, my preference would be to go defense in the 2nd.  You should be able to get a stud LB there or a starting FS like Antonio Johnson or JL Skinner.  Maybe even that kid from Notre Dame(his name escapes me).  However like you said, DT is also a need and there should be some good ones in the early 2nd.  I guess there's no reason why you can't sign a lower level UFA to stick at FS;  invest your 2nd into a quality run stuffing DT like Siaki Ika from Baylor or Mazi Smith from Michigan.  Still move up from Round 3 for the C and then look to try and find a gem LB in the 4th or 5th(depending on what it costs to move back up into the 2nd).  

But yeah, I think we have the makings of building something special on both sides of the ball.  It's obvious that more needs to be invested into the offense considering the needs at QB and along the OL, but I still don't want to completely ignore the defense.  

19 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Fair.  I think we could potentially move up from the 3rd back into the late 2nd and walk away with a quality C.  Maybe not Mangold level, but a good one.  A kid who should at least be starting right away.  I think if we're going LT in the 1st, my preference would be to go defense in the 2nd.  You should be able to get a stud LB there or a starting FS like Antonio Johnson or JL Skinner.  Maybe even that kid from Notre Dame(his name escapes me).  However like you said, DT is also a need and there should be some good ones in the early 2nd.  I guess there's no reason why you can't sign a lower level UFA to stick at FS;  invest your 2nd into a quality run stuffing DT like Siaki Ika from Baylor or Mazi Smith from Michigan.  Still move up from Round 3 for the C and then look to try and find a gem LB in the 4th or 5th(depending on what it costs to move back up into the 2nd).  

But yeah, I think we have the makings of building something special on both sides of the ball.  It's obvious that more needs to be invested into the offense considering the needs at QB and along the OL, but I still don't want to completely ignore the defense.  

IMO the Jets will have a big decision to make if Brian Breese is available at 13 and the OT available is a reach at 13. IMO Breese would be a difference for the Jets DT rotation, either paired with Q or in the rotation with Q. The middle of the opposing O line will have a battle on their hands on every single down.

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

My point was that QB is obviously the biggest need.  Are you saying that Jones fills the need while Richardson doesn't, or do you honestly believe they need an LT more than QB? 

respectfully, it's absurd to compare Jones and Richardson; who is as far from a sure thing as it gets - next to pulling names out of a Div-II hat. 

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

respectfully, it's absurd to compare Jones and Richardson; who is as far from a sure thing as it gets - next to pulling names out of a Div-II hat. 

Respectfully?  I get that.  Sonny said that LT solved our biggest need.  I just think it is obvious that LT is not our biggest need.  If you don't think Richardson solves QB, that is fair enough and I think that is what he said, but QB is our biggest need IMO.  By far.

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'd argue if you put another rookie QB behind that line, he's going to fail, just like the last 2.

28 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I'd argue if you put another rookie QB behind that line, he's going to fail, just like the last 2.

I think the assumption is that, IF we do draft a QB in the 1st round, they won't see one snap of gametime in 2023.  Even if we don't draft an OT in the 1st, we are going to invest in the line via UFA and probably drafting a C later on(maybe as early as the 2nd).  The hope would be that whoever you draft in '23 would be stepping into a fully built offense by '24.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

IMO the Jets will have a big decision to make if Brian Breese is available at 13 and the OT available is a reach at 13. IMO Breese would be a difference for the Jets DT rotation, either paired with Q or in the rotation with Q. The middle of the opposing O line will have a battle on their hands on every single down.

I thought about Bresee but not sure how great of a fit he is, tbh.  I think you need more of a run-stuffer next to Quinnen.  I think our issue is we need more pressure from the edge.  I don't doubt that Quinnen and Bresee would be an absolute terror on passing downs, but I think we would pay for it in the running game.  

32 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I thought about Bresee but not sure how great of a fit he is, tbh.  I think you need more of a run-stuffer next to Quinnen.  I think our issue is we need more pressure from the edge.  I don't doubt that Quinnen and Bresee would be an absolute terror on passing downs, but I think we would pay for it in the running game.  

I don't think they are looking for run stuffers.  I think they want speed.  You have to hold up against the run, but I don't think a guy like Fatukasi was a fit at all, beyond super short yardage packages.   Besides Bresee fits the ridiculous everybody has a name like somebody else trend.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

i'd think about the lineman then draft the WR tbh

This is kind of where I am out.  Choice came down to Jones or Johnston.  Tackle is probably the bigger need, but I think Johnston is the better player.  And a big WR is also a pretty big need and I think he would complement Wilson and Moore very well.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Lith said:

This is kind of where I am out.  Choice came down to Jones or Johnston.  Tackle is probably the bigger need, but I think Johnston is the better player.  And a big WR is also a pretty big need and I think he would complement Wilson and Moore very well.

The free agent wr market is insane, the NYJ want no part of that...they also can't seem to develop mid Rd wr... If somehow 4 qbs go top 10 It all depends on whether there's a run on OL or WR before 13

There should be value on one or the other 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, bitonti said:

The free agent wr market is insane, the NYJ want no part of that...they also can't seem to develop mid Rd wr... If somehow 4 qbs go top 10 It all depends on whether there's a run on OL or WR before 13

There should be value on one or the other 

Already seeing mocks with 4 QBs in top 10, which seems crazy this year, but we have seen it before.  So much desperation round the league for QBs.  And if you take them in R1, you ge tthe 5th year option.  Really hope this causes Johnston or one of the OTs to fall to 13.

Another issue on the FA market is the player has the choice.  What WR with options is going to willingly go to a franchise that has not been able to figure out the QB position and has had league worst QB play for 3 years running.  Unless we manage to land one of the big names at QB in FA or trade, only way we are getting a top WR is overpaying which is not a good way to build a team.  I will probably change my mind a dozen times between now and April, but for now, if you told me we could walk away with Johsnton at 13, I am a happy man.

39 minutes ago, Lith said:

Already seeing mocks with 4 QBs in top 10, which seems crazy this year, but we have seen it before.  So much desperation round the league for QBs.  And if you take them in R1, you ge tthe 5th year option.  Really hope this causes Johnston or one of the OTs to fall to 13.

Another issue on the FA market is the player has the choice.  What WR with options is going to willingly go to a franchise that has not been able to figure out the QB position and has had league worst QB play for 3 years running.  Unless we manage to land one of the big names at QB in FA or trade, only way we are getting a top WR is overpaying which is not a good way to build a team.  I will probably change my mind a dozen times between now and April, but for now, if you told me we could walk away with Johsnton at 13, I am a happy man.

I'm not even that convinced about Johnson. I like Jordan Addison better 

17 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Hard to see anything but a tackle in round 1 as the run game disappeared when avt and hall got hurt.  

Absolutely, and Douglas knows it all starts up front.  Mike Lafeur was bad but is over-blamed.  Zero run game, making the Jets one dimensional, combine this with bad pass protection and bad QB's and we saw the outcome, no TD's in the final 3 games.

It'd be great if JD signs Eichenberg and then lets Mekhi and Dwayne battle for LT.

But if that doesn't happen then OT has to be the pick in round one IMO. Draft a center in the middle rounds.

From this list I only consider Jones or Johnston.

However, it depends on what the Jets do in FA.

If they invest a ton of money in the O-line, but cut Davis and Berrios to do so, I'm taking Johnston. It just makes too much sense. You plug him right in opposite G.Wilson and keep Moore in the slot. Then Mims is your #4 and you can add an UDFA or promote a depth guy to #5- like Malik Taylor or Irving Charles. At worst, you sign a lower tier FA WR who can help on specials. 

If the Jets make minimal changes on the o-line and rely on the draft, you go Paris Johnson, Broderick Jones or Skoronski.  

I don't think it makes sense to take a safety or LB. I really like Verse. But after JJ and Clemons last year, he does not make sense. Even if we cut Lawson. I'd much rather resign Huff. 

Richardson is a huge gamble. I'm letting another team take that challenge on. We don't exactly have the best track record for developing these types of raw QBs. I'd much rather go hard after Carr or another vet.